Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline OP
pro stock
Lee446  Offline OP
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
This is for the handling folks, I could use some advice! I have always pretty much been a quarter miler, but I bought a nice 69 Satellite that I would like to make handle better, a nice performing road car, not an SCCA road course car.
Right now the suspension is stock for a 318 car. I plan to rebuild the entire front suspension, 11/16 tie rods, Moog offset bushings for the upper C/A. My plans are to use rubber bushings at this time, had sqeeky poly before but would consider as I'm sure there have been improvements there. I bought a Disc conversion from Dr. Diff with 13" rotors and the 2 piston Cobra calipers and I will stick with the 11" drums on the Dana 60, 3.54 under the back. This car has no sway bar or provisions for one, obviously it will need one front and rear, so who makes the a good bolt-on and what are the best sizes, F/R ? The rear springs are a set of Tri-City launchers, I do plan to Bracket race the car occasionally and I have these springs. What size torsion bars and what shocks would you recommend ? The car came with a set of 17x7f, 17x8r torque thrust 2's with 225-55f, 255-50r hr rated tires and they are new and will stay for now. The car sits a bit lower than stock which is ok, do I need adjustable UCA's or will stock work with the Moogs? The car will have my freshned up, E/headed 493-6BBL/auto that was a mid 11 sec street car in my old b-body.It has a repro 6 BBL lift off hood and headers, so it is a bit lighter than stock over the front end. It also has manual steering. Like all my street cars, it is a bit of a compromise in all things, but for a change, I would like to improve its handling, especially at higher speeds, My old RR always got a bit "light" over 120 on the highway and although I don't drive that way often, it would be nice to do it without white knuckles! So that is the basics, what kind of package do y'all recommend? Thanks, Lee.

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Lee446] #180497
01/01/09 07:08 PM
01/01/09 07:08 PM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
This reminds me of a project Mopar Action did awhile back of a buildup of a 69 Roadrunner (Project Bold Beeper)that has alot of the parts that you are probably looking to use. I believe they are a sponsor of this site...so take a look at the sponsor page link a the top of this page and you will get a good read of the buildup. Lots of stuff that I am also looking to use on my Charger.

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Blakcharger440] #180498
01/01/09 07:49 PM
01/01/09 07:49 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MrAngry Offline
super stock
MrAngry  Offline
super stock

San Francisco Bay Area
I have a '68 Charger that I use as my track car (I'm an instructor w/ NASA/PDA). Keep in mind that one the best things you can do to the big b-bodies is to stiffen them up. My suspension specs are below. I also would not run staggered rim sizes... I do on my Charger but doing it again I would run 18s all around. The car handles VERY well for what it is and with it you absolutely can have a great time at track events and even embarress a few lesser drivers in much better cars - I do it all the time.

Brakes
- Baer Racing 13" Discs (front) / 12" Discs (rear), Baer Racing proportioning valve
- Hydroboost Hydraulic Brake Assist
- Hawk HPS pads f/r

Suspension
- Firm Feel Stage III Steering box, fast ratio pitman, idler, greaseable lower arm shafts, nylon lower arm bushings
- Energy Suspension bushings installed front to rear
- MagnumForce Racing fully adjustable tubular upper control arms
- Hotchkis 1 3/8” Hallow front Sway Bar kit
- Addco 7/8 rear sway bar:
- Mopar Performance 1” pre-lowered Hemi rear leaf springs; 1” block lowering kit for a total of 2” in the rear
- Mopar Performance oversized front .96 torsion bars. Lowered to be just above bump stops.
- Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
- XV Motorsports Chassie stiffening kit: Subframe connectors, inner-fender well braces and radiator support.

Drive train
- 727 Torqueflite Transmission. Has a reverse manual valve body shifter mechanism.
- 8 ¾” Suregrip rear with 3.55 gears
- Moser rear axles
- Eaton Performance Detroit tru-trac rear diff.
- Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive Unit w/final 2.76 ratio in OD
- Cheetah SCS reverse pattern cable driven shifter

Wheels/Tire
- 17x8 Boyds front (NITTO NT555s)
- 18x10 Boyds rear (NITTO NT555s)

Never trust a pretty girl... or a lonely midget.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Lee446] #180499
01/01/09 08:02 PM
01/01/09 08:02 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
I added rear bars before. They are a great ad on!

The last car I did this type of stuff on was an A body. I added a .75" bar on the rear, and changed the front up to 1 1/8". It was awesome.

It's been a while, so I don't remember where I got it from. One of those suspension companies that takes a whole page in mopar muscle.

Go for whatever thickness you can get. More is better.

Also go for the bigger T bars. I think they are a decent price from mp.

As for high speed handling, It's mostly in the alignment. Just go for as much caster as you can. More is best. Usually If you can get 3 degrees or more, you will be happy.

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: dave571] #180500
01/01/09 10:43 PM
01/01/09 10:43 PM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
Can you still buy sway bars for B body mopars from Hotchkis?

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Lee446] #180501
01/01/09 11:10 PM
01/01/09 11:10 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
:
Tb's, anything 1" or larger
You need a lot more tire (width and softer)
Min QA1 12 way's F&R, forget KYB's
I would also go with the nylon LCA bushings
Pick Sway bars after the above, and I am not convinced a rear one is needed if front sway bar and rear springsa are correct in the first place
Fab any type of front spoiler for improvement on high speed runs
Did you mention Frame connectors?

Glad this is on our new for 2009 "HP Handling/suspension/brakes" forum, NOT

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Blakcharger440] #180502
01/01/09 11:18 PM
01/01/09 11:18 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline OP
pro stock
Lee446  Offline OP
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
Thanks for the replies! I will be welding in subframe connecters, possibly a six point bar, I have'nt made up my mind on that yet. I always add additional welds on the body/frame and reinforce the K-member, and spring mounts. Although it is not as sturdy as the XV rectangular core support, we fabbed a reinforcement plate out of 1/4" plate and welded it in on my 70 GTX, it can't hurt to add one to the Satellite. I bought the lower control arm reinforcement plates from Mancini and will weld them on. Bolt on front sway bars... with no mounts on my LCA's, how do they attach? Will adding a 1/20 over the stock 1/24 manual box be worthwhile? Mr. Angry, thanks for your info, I thought about the Performer IAS shocks, glad to know they actually work. I will google Hotchkis and see what turns up. I am surprised that AutoXr(sp?)has not chimed in. I am interested in everyones working combo's. Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

Last edited by Lee446; 01/01/09 11:24 PM.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Lee446] #180503
01/01/09 11:57 PM
01/01/09 11:57 PM
Texas
R
RaiderLefty Offline
RaiderLefty  Offline
R

Texas
I'm in the process right now of finishing up updating/upgrading the suspension on my '68 RR and here's what I've done so far:

All new poly bushings from Firm Feel front to rear
Tubular UCAs from Firm Feel
Tubular LCAs from Cap Auto Products
11/16" tie rods ends from Firm Feel
New idler/pitman arms from FFI
1-1/8" front sway bar
1.10" torsion bars
3/4" Addco rear sway bar

Front brakes are Wilwood 6-piston setup with drilled/slotted rotors.

Rear brakes are Wilwood 4-pistons with drilled/slotted rotors.

F/R shocks are 1-way adjustable Varishocks.

Front tires are Nitto 255/45/18s on a 9" wheel and rears are Nitto 305/40/18s on a 10" wheel.

The only thing I can't tell you right now is how the setup feels. I've got everything reassembled except for the rear brakes and new Wilwood M/C. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some real driving feedback in the next several weeks.

Good luck!

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: RaiderLefty] #180504
01/02/09 01:13 PM
01/02/09 01:13 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline OP
pro stock
Lee446  Offline OP
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
Well, Hotchkis does not list anything for old mopars, just late model. Addco and Hellwig both offer 1-1/8 frt. and either 3/4 or 7/8" rear. I wonder what determines what size rear bar? There is surprisingly little info on the manufactures sites to help determine what you need.

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Lee446] #180505
01/02/09 01:21 PM
01/02/09 01:21 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
What determines your needs is spring rate and roll couple. You can generically list something, but it's generic, not optimal.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Supercuda] #180506
01/02/09 01:30 PM
01/02/09 01:30 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
I did the following with my 68 Roadrunner

Mopar 1.22" Torsion bars
Koni Shocks All Around
CAP Tubular UCA's
AR Engineering LCA Plates
Firm Feel Greasable LCA Pins with Prothane LCA Bushings
Firm Feel "Secret" Stage 4 box
Stock Sway Bar with Greaseable Poly Bushings Upfront
Speedway Motors 200# Leaf springs (not installed)
Moog Ball Joints
Prothane Strut rod Bushings
11.75" Discs with Firm Feel Carbon Metallic Pads

The car drives amazing with those upgrades, but a Set of the Hotckis Sway Bars is in order front and rear when they are available again.

The car isn't harsh with those bars, and feels like it would hand some modern performance cars their behind with a step up to modern rubber.

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: AlexP] #180507
01/02/09 09:10 PM
01/02/09 09:10 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MrAngry Offline
super stock
MrAngry  Offline
super stock

San Francisco Bay Area
Hotchkis just came out with an entire suspension package for the b-bodies.

http://www.hotchkis.net/c-856-1962-1969-b-body.aspx

Right now they only it pieced together but call them and they will give you the full story. I spoke to them at SEMA and was very impressed with they're components... haven't seen any numbers yet though.

Never trust a pretty girl... or a lonely midget.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: AlexP] #180508
01/02/09 09:13 PM
01/02/09 09:13 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline OP
pro stock
Lee446  Offline OP
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
I see people referring to Nylon LCA bushings, but I assume they mean Polyurethane, correct? I thought about going to the tubular upper control arms but read that you can achive the same results by using the Moog offset bushings. Any comments on that?

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Lee446] #180509
01/02/09 10:05 PM
01/02/09 10:05 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
In my case Nylon is different and considered a further upgrade from urethane LCA bushings, and nylon requires a different center pin, or whatever its called, not sure of useful life of nylon yet in a daily driver.

And AlexP, you have really put a very nice package together

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: MrAngry] #180510
01/03/09 01:13 AM
01/03/09 01:13 AM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
Quote:

Hotchkis just came out with an entire suspension package for the b-bodies.

http://www.hotchkis.net/c-856-1962-1969-b-body.aspx

Right now they only it pieced together but call them and they will give you the full story. I spoke to them at SEMA and was very impressed with they're components... haven't seen any numbers yet though.

Its about time. I've been calling their poor techs up for a year now to bug them about a release.

I'm going to buy their sway bars for sure. The rest of the components I already have, or refuse to pay a premium for. I hope they enclose sway bar tabs for cars that didn't have sway bars originally. I have Non-sway LCA's and thats what stopped me from using them before.

I'm saving for Vintage Wheel works to release their 18" wheels over the summer, so I'm saving my pennies for wheels, rear discs and a 3g Hemi swap.

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: AlexP] #180511
09/07/11 11:20 PM
09/07/11 11:20 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Time to bring this old thread back to life, since it pretty much covers handeling for the standard Mopar Torsion bar / leaf spring cars without jumping into a high dollar corvette front end and 3 link rear suspension.

My 72 Road Runner is shedding the super stock springs in the rear in favor of some leafs that will bring it lower to the ground and handle better. That and I scored some used Viper calipers for the front with some 14" SRT8 rotors up front and upgrading the rear brakes to discs also.

I see alot of are running the XHD leafs in the rear, would you run these still or upgrade to a road race spring from Firm Feel or a Hotchkis leaf spring over the XHD's?

I also see Mike Musto (Mr Angry) took 1" out of the XHD spring arch and added a 1" lowering block to lower the car 2" total out in the back. This with a 2" drop front spindle from Magnumforce would get the cg down there.

I have also heard some people are running two left XHD leafs out back to keep the right rear spring the same as the left w/o the extra half leaf that raises the right rear slightly over the left rear of the car, anyone have exerience with that as well?

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: PHJ426] #180512
09/08/11 12:27 AM
09/08/11 12:27 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Time to bring this old thread back to life, since it pretty much covers handeling for the standard Mopar Torsion bar / leaf spring cars without jumping into a high dollar corvette front end and 3 link rear suspension.

My 72 Road Runner is shedding the super stock springs in the rear in favor of some leafs that will bring it lower to the ground and handle better. That and I scored some used Viper calipers for the front with some 14" SRT8 rotors up front and upgrading the rear brakes to discs also.

I see alot of are running the XHD leafs in the rear, would you run these still or upgrade to a road race spring from Firm Feel or a Hotchkis leaf spring over the XHD's?

I also see Mike Musto (Mr Angry) took 1" out of the XHD spring arch and added a 1" lowering block to lower the car 2" total out in the back. This with a 2" drop front spindle from Magnumforce would get the cg down there.

I have also heard some people are running two left XHD leafs out back to keep the right rear spring the same as the left w/o the extra half leaf that raises the right rear slightly over the left rear of the car, anyone have exerience with that as well?

You want the same spring right and left for handling.

The Hotchkis leaf springs have are setup for handling. They have two stout lower supporting leafs that go all the way to the front eye to prevent wheel hop/wrap-up. But what is especially unique to the Hotchkis springs is an upper leaf that goes to the eye to prevent wheel hop under braking (especially from your brake upgrade). See the first picture below.

The Hotchkis leafs with their lowered front spring hangers, front and rear mid-eyes, low and installed arch get the rear down very low. I'd install them, adjust the front for sane header clearance ~4-5".

I actually put my stock spring hangers in because it was too low. But I have small 25.5" diameter tires.

I don't know what the Firm Feel leaf springs look like. They may have the same features. It's not rocket science.

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: autoxcuda] #180513
09/08/11 04:58 AM
09/08/11 04:58 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

You want the same spring right and left for handling.

The Hotchkis leaf springs have are setup for handling. They have two stout lower supporting leafs that go all the way to the front eye to prevent wheel hop/wrap-up. But what is especially unique to the Hotchkis springs is an upper leaf that goes to the eye to prevent wheel hop under braking (especially from your brake upgrade). See the first picture below.

The Hotchkis leafs with their lowered front spring hangers, front and rear mid-eyes, low and installed arch get the rear down very low. I'd install them, adjust the front for sane header clearance ~4-5".

I actually put my stock spring hangers in because it was too low. But I have small 25.5" diameter tires.

I don't know what the Firm Feel leaf springs look like. They may have the same features. It's not rocket science.

Did you use the stock shackles pictured...??? I notice that the Hotchkis TVS system doesn't include their shackles. The stock ones look pathetic comparatively. I wonder what is compromised by staying stock? My brothers 'Green Brick' 69 Valiant had those superfancy HD shackles featured in Mopar Action 180 years ago and they looked damn stonky. If i get this system i wont be affording no fancy shackles, but it looks like i could fab up something thats better than stock at least...

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: Pale_Roader] #180514
09/08/11 12:58 PM
09/08/11 12:58 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Did you use the stock shackles pictured...??? I notice that the Hotchkis TVS system doesn't include their shackles. The stock ones look pathetic comparatively. I wonder what is compromised by staying stock? My brothers 'Green Brick' 69 Valiant had those superfancy HD shackles featured in Mopar Action 180 years ago and they looked damn stonky. If i get this system i wont be affording no fancy shackles, but it looks like i could fab up something thats better than stock at least...

Yes I used the stock shackles. They attach to poly bushings. So the poly bushing will flex some no matter how think the shackle legs are.

On an A-body the shackles are solid stud mounted on one side. Most aftermarket shackles are just thru bolt. So you're going to have some additional looseness right at one of the thru bolt holes.

Re: Suspension Guru's, suggestions for a B-body [Re: autoxcuda] #180515
09/12/11 09:22 PM
09/12/11 09:22 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
Our heavy duty shackles are really nice pieces with all the right qualities to withstand some serious abuse. The stock ones are decent for stock vehicles but they do flex when pushed hard and many old ones are rusted badly, which also weakens them. These are made from .025” steel and finished in black powercoat to keep them protected from the elements. We also specially machine the bolts so they are duplicated to the stock specs.