11/24/14 03:38 PM
11/24/14 03:38 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I am trying to gather some info on how some of you feel about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip. I have contacted some via email and phone but thought this might be a better way. So here goes..

The first question at hand is this. What are your feelings about this class in general? Do you feel it is needed and will you be participating, or are you planning to in the future? Please try to be realistic with your answers.

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant. ALL dragsters would be Mopar powered.

Next what about a Big Dog type class where S/Pro and Q16 were combined and put into one class with a race on Saturday and Sunday, for a good payout each day?

Just trying to help out and get some input from the guys I don't know personally. Please feel free to share your idea. Trying to help make this class better and continue to keep a venue to race at here.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: Al_Alguire] #1702885
11/25/14 02:35 AM
11/25/14 02:35 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

I am trying to gather some info on how some of you feel about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip. I have contacted some via email and phone but thought this might be a better way. So here goes..

The first question at hand is this. What are your feelings about this class in general? Do you feel it is needed and will you be participating, or are you planning to in the future? Please try to be realistic with your answers.

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant.

Next what about a Big Dog type class where S/Pro and Q16 were combined and put into one class with a race on Saturday and Sunday, for a good payout each day?

Just Remember Al...
You asked!

As you know, I first saw this type of show at the Monster Mopar Weekend, in like 1997. The Q-16 show there just kind of grew organically from the Super Pro time runs. They started posting a qualifying sheet, had 1 time run on Sunday, then took the quickest 16 CARS for the show. They even allowed the 8 first round losers to drop into the first round of Super Pro!
For a couple of years, it was just an honor to get listed on the qualifying sheet, and gave bracket racers who took pride in going as fast as they could a chance to shine. IMO they ruined it when they allowed dragsters in, period. Dragsters have a place at Mopar events for certain, it's called Super Pro. Q-16 should be a celebration of really quick door cars, that the spectators can relate to.

I've always felt like MATS got it wrong right off the bat, by charging more for the class, and separating it from Super Pro, that removes it from being something everyone can shoot for, and makes it just a playground for the elite.

I love fast Mopar Door cars, and I'm way past beating on someone for being a customer of Fulton, Musi, Schmidt, Pro-line, Leonard ETC.

I'm several years away from even considering running something like that myself, but the family may have interest if the class shows growth. Next year I just hope to have a few slow street cars there.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: Al_Alguire] #1702886
11/25/14 03:15 AM
11/25/14 03:15 AM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
test and tune friday..saturday . and for those that want to buy into a box or no box bracket race. and the other will still get there normal two or three passes. imo. i would love one more day of racing.... i think phill needs to be very careful opening it up much more to the brand x cars. with pony wars AFX and mopars vs the world that is a large amount of others. all ready

In the 8s N/A.with Brett miller W8's
5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: Al_Alguire] #1702887
11/25/14 03:27 AM
11/25/14 03:27 AM
ky
68roadrunner Offline
super stock
68roadrunner  Offline
super stock

ky
the q-16 at our local 5k holiday races gets 8 door cars and 8 dragsters to run, if you buy a sp card you dont have to make that race until you go out in q-16 then jump into sp, dont know if this is a good idea for everybody but it gets alot of cars in it here.

i would probably not have the hp to run it at a big race, but with the new bullet i might make a few now, its not that good of a race money wise, its just for bragging rights and make more laps down the track, it might save a round in sp sometime

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: WHITEDART] #1702888
11/25/14 03:34 AM
11/25/14 03:34 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
The way I see it... Its already been established at other events you need a Mopar body or a Mopar engine to race at a Mopar event... ala Steve Parrish. So with this in mind, I would have to vote for Mopar body or motor...

And I suppose if you get real technical.. To require a Mopar body and motor would leave out a certain AMC car that won the event last year...

To answer your other question, I suppose I can understand the logic behind pulling the fastest S/P to have them race seperately... but what about those (me) that race off the bottom bulb? and believe me.. I know most non box cars arent fast enough to even think about competing..

My vote would be to keep it a seperate class as-is.. The higher entry fee is good for Painter and the preferred pit parking area is good for us

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: Al_Alguire] #1702889
11/25/14 04:06 AM
11/25/14 04:06 AM
Rapid City, SD
R
rickb67 Offline
rickb67  Offline
R

Rapid City, SD
Not that I have a pony to run in that race but MOPAR body and MOPAR engine only.

8341370-flyingfish.jpg (72 downloads)
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: rickb67] #1702890
11/25/14 04:44 AM
11/25/14 04:44 AM
Texas, USA
ChrgrCuda Offline
super stock
ChrgrCuda  Offline
super stock

Texas, USA
Further dilution of the Mopar hobby......

68 Cuda Notchback [Email]10.86@120[/Email] 69 Charger R/T 440/505 2009 Challenger SRT8
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: MoparBilly] #1702891
11/25/14 08:19 AM
11/25/14 08:19 AM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant.

Just Remember Al...
You asked!

As you know, I first saw this type of show at the Monster Mopar Weekend, in like 1997. The Q-16 show there just kind of grew organically from the Super Pro time runs. They started posting a qualifying sheet, had 1 time run on Sunday, then took the quickest 16 CARS for the show. They even allowed the 8 first round losers to drop into the first round of Super Pro!
For a couple of years, it was just an honor to get listed on the qualifying sheet, and gave bracket racers who took pride in going as fast as they could a chance to shine. IMO they ruined it when they allowed dragsters in, period. Dragsters have a place at Mopar events for certain, it's called Super Pro. Q-16 should be a celebration of really quick door cars, that the spectators can relate to.

I've always felt like MATS got it wrong right off the bat, by charging more for the class, and separating it from Super Pro, that removes it from being something everyone can shoot for, and makes it just a playground for the elite.

I love fast Mopar Door cars, and I'm way past beating on someone for being a customer of Fulton, Musi, Schmidt, Pro-line, Leonard ETC.

I'm several years away from even considering running something like that myself, but the family may have interest if the class shows growth. Next year I just hope to have a few slow street cars there.

If the dragsters want into that class then so be it. But no electronics/ delayboxes throttle stops etc... Trans break yes no problem. Then take the 8 top dragsters and the 8 top door cars and let it happen

Or let both groups run off and for the final round a door car vs. a dragster every time. The crowds love it.

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: 1320Dart] #1702892
11/25/14 12:09 PM
11/25/14 12:09 PM
france
J
jose jones Offline
super stock
jose jones  Offline
super stock
J

france
I was setting with Phil Painter in the stands watching the Super Nationals in Vegas last weekend, As we were there one of the lane directors on the track was hit by a vehicle not watching where he was going, The ambulance at the track came hauling from the finish line area to assist the lane directors injury. I ask Phil if he was required to have a ambulance at his Mopars at he Strip event, He said yes it was mandatory from the track,the ambulance alone is about $7,000 for the weekend. We also noted that out of apx 350 race cars there were only about a dozen Mopars. We also discussed Mopar engine or Mopar bodies to run at his event, The issue here is as Mopar fans we are such a minority that it is difficult to field a Mopar only event, Feel free to express your thoughts, I will ask Phil to read this forum.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: jose jones] #1702893
11/25/14 02:45 PM
11/25/14 02:45 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
The field for the MATS has been full. But the idea of doing something like the ole Monster Mopar deal appeals to me. Not having a minimum ET cut off perse' and simply running the fastest 16 cars, thus giving everyone an oppourtunity I believe is a great way to go. If it were to keep a minimum ET for the class, say 9.00 I think to keep it going it will HAVE To be opened up to Mopar bodied or powered cars. I also would prefer to see 8 dragsters and 8 door cars but not sure how realistic it is to do that at this race.

In my humble opinion the biggest issue is just a lack of participation out here in the west for this class. It has never been particularly big so opening it up so more can participate is a great idea.

Keep the feedback coming. It will get to he people it needs to. If anything will be getting changed we need feedback soon as decisions will be made by mid December.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: Al_Alguire] #1702894
11/25/14 03:26 PM
11/25/14 03:26 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

The field for the MATS has been full. But the idea of doing something like the ole Monster Mopar deal appeals to me. Not having a minimum ET cut off perse' and simply running the fastest 16 cars, thus giving everyone an oppourtunity I believe is a great way to go. If it were to keep a minimum ET for the class, say 9.00 I think to keep it going it will HAVE To be opened up to Mopar bodied or powered cars. I also would prefer to see 8 dragsters and 8 door cars but not sure how realistic it is to do that at this race.

In my humble opinion the biggest issue is just a lack of participation out here in the west for this class. It has never been particularly big so opening it up so more can participate is a great idea.

Keep the feedback coming. It will get to he people it needs to. If anything will be getting changed we need feedback soon as decisions will be made by mid December.

It could be the quickest 8 dragsters and 8 quickest door cars of who showed up and entered that day. No minimum ET. But I'd handicap the dragsters to no electronics if you were to have a run off of the fastest door car and the fastest dragster for the number one spot at the end of the day.

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: 1320Dart] #1702895
11/25/14 05:37 PM
11/25/14 05:37 PM
Oregon
sccuda Offline
sccuda  Offline

Oregon
I think it is a fun challenge to try and get in the field. Yes I plan on attending 2015. I would like to see mopar only bodies with dragsters allowed and mopar only "style" powerplants. Keep it quick 16 The quickest 16 racecars until it becomes a problem of mostly dragsters, then split it to 8 & 8. I dont believe this is a problem now or has been in the past. Would like to see eliminations on Sat night as being the main headliner with 1st round losers being able to buy in to s/pro the next day just as s/pro cars already can. Keep electronics allowed. I would also like to see an extra race in there either Friday or Saturday. I tow almost 1000 miles to be there It is fun but would like another race to play in for the weekend. Hope this helps and see you in March.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: sccuda] #1702896
11/25/14 10:04 PM
11/25/14 10:04 PM
Oregon
sg66mopar Offline
pro stock
sg66mopar  Offline
pro stock

Oregon
Well Al, I think I agree with most of what Dave suggests. It's 1050 miles from our door to the track (16 hours for most people, 4 days for us ) That's an expensive tow so I need to feel it's worthwhile. Fun wise as well as payout potential.

A Sat. night first round with a buy back into SP Sunday would make the long tow a lot easier to justify.

Somebody at the meeting this year mentioned the possibility of a quick 32 if other brands were let in. So, maybe put that together with Dave's idea?

If I show up there and have to be irritated the whole weekend about the format, I might not want to go.

I'm not smart enough to come up with a better solution but I do understand the promoter's position from a monetary standpoint.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: sg66mopar] #1702897
11/26/14 02:01 AM
11/26/14 02:01 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Personally, I like it the way it has been for the past several years. It's a Mopar race and you should have to race a Mopar body or motor to get in. That said I know money needs to be made, and will probably participate either way. Saturday night sounds good for Q16 eliminations, but that is also the night of the Cannery concert and car show......I think.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: 1320Dart] #1702898
11/26/14 04:54 PM
11/26/14 04:54 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just Remember Al...
You asked!

If the dragsters want into that class then so be it. But no electronics/ delayboxes throttle stops etc... Trans break yes no problem. Then take the 8 top dragsters and the 8 top door cars and let it happen

Or let both groups run off and for the final round a door car vs. a dragster every time. The crowds love it.

Try finding a fast door car let alone a dragster without a delay box...throttle stop...or both...

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: Eric] #1702899
11/27/14 12:30 PM
11/27/14 12:30 PM
Johnstown
69dart Offline
pro stock
69dart  Offline
pro stock

Johnstown
Around here it seems only Monster Mopar at Norwalk gets a true Q16 field. I believe they separate door cars and open bodied cars. Then run-off in the final. National Trails uses the same format for the weekly Super 32.

I would prefer not to see brand x powered cars.

33 Plymouth Roadster - 383 - 5.90 1/8th 9.58 1/4
68 Dart - 340
66 Belvedere - 400

Windy Hollow Garage - https://www.youtube.com/@windyhollowgarage
Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: 69dart] #1702900
11/27/14 12:50 PM
11/27/14 12:50 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Around here it seems only Monster Mopar at Norwalk gets a true Q16 field. I believe they separate door cars and open bodied cars. Then run-off in the final. National Trails uses the same format for the weekly Super 32.

I would prefer not to see brand x powered cars.

Monster Mopar is no longer a qualified field. Anyone under a certain ET could run the class now. Norwalk used to be the quickest 32 (16 door-cars-16 dragsters) but its now a fast super-pro type class.

Jeff Allison Motorsports Big Dog Rules

1/8th Mile

ET – 5.70 or faster

Tree – Full

Motor – Mopar Only -No other motor design will pass tech

Electronics – Electornics Allowed

Equipment – Nitrous, Super Charger, Turbo Charger Allowed

Tech Items – Driver and car must pass NHRA guidelines for the speed run. Cars, safety equipment, and driver’s credentials will be thoroughly inspected when submitting for technical inspection. Check your expiration dates and update if necessary before arriving to the track.

Burnout – May go past the starting line and backup to stage.

Lane Choice – Better Reaction gets Lane Choice.

• This class is an all run field

• You can not dial more than .200 slower than the slowest car in the field

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: 69dart] #1702901
11/27/14 01:00 PM
11/27/14 01:00 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
As a spectator and pit guy, I would also prefer to have it all Mopar (and orphan brands AKA AMX).

I know that there is a big bracket race at Vegas around the same time and understand that you may get some early or late hangers from that, but it hasn't happened much before.

So I guess that I can't offer much help in how the promoter chooses to set up the race, except that I would prefer not to see a field of pipe racks with BBCs stuttering down the track. I have been to the bracket race also with another car (SBM Altered) and while it's a good race, it's not MATS.

Thanks to Mr. Painter for continuing this show, we hope to attend again in 2015 and go more rounds with both Orange Monsters in AFX. Changes to the Q16 will not affect our plans, so again, this is just an outside opinion.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: RodStRace] #1702902
11/27/14 02:16 PM
11/27/14 02:16 PM
SO. CAL.
70blackfish Offline
master
70blackfish  Offline
master

SO. CAL.
as a spectater, to pay to see a all mopar event, and have to watch a chevy powered dragster...NO NO!
unless its on Nitro, even then.
but a mopar powered camaro / nova thats ok....cant be to many of those out there.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip [Re: 70blackfish] #1702903
11/27/14 02:31 PM
11/27/14 02:31 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well I do not think you will need to worry about Chevy powered dragsters being an issue. But if the odd powered Mopar body I cannot see why the fans would care. After all they are seeing a Mopar body(Avenger, Daytona, Cuda etc)go down the track. Many of the current Mopar power plants look foreign to the average Mopar guy anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2