Moparts

A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip

Posted By: Al_Alguire

A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/24/14 07:38 PM

I am trying to gather some info on how some of you feel about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip. I have contacted some via email and phone but thought this might be a better way. So here goes..

The first question at hand is this. What are your feelings about this class in general? Do you feel it is needed and will you be participating, or are you planning to in the future? Please try to be realistic with your answers.

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant. ALL dragsters would be Mopar powered.

Next what about a Big Dog type class where S/Pro and Q16 were combined and put into one class with a race on Saturday and Sunday, for a good payout each day?

Just trying to help out and get some input from the guys I don't know personally. Please feel free to share your idea. Trying to help make this class better and continue to keep a venue to race at here.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 06:35 AM

Quote:

I am trying to gather some info on how some of you feel about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip. I have contacted some via email and phone but thought this might be a better way. So here goes..

The first question at hand is this. What are your feelings about this class in general? Do you feel it is needed and will you be participating, or are you planning to in the future? Please try to be realistic with your answers.

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant.

Next what about a Big Dog type class where S/Pro and Q16 were combined and put into one class with a race on Saturday and Sunday, for a good payout each day?

Just Remember Al...
You asked!

As you know, I first saw this type of show at the Monster Mopar Weekend, in like 1997. The Q-16 show there just kind of grew organically from the Super Pro time runs. They started posting a qualifying sheet, had 1 time run on Sunday, then took the quickest 16 CARS for the show. They even allowed the 8 first round losers to drop into the first round of Super Pro!
For a couple of years, it was just an honor to get listed on the qualifying sheet, and gave bracket racers who took pride in going as fast as they could a chance to shine. IMO they ruined it when they allowed dragsters in, period. Dragsters have a place at Mopar events for certain, it's called Super Pro. Q-16 should be a celebration of really quick door cars, that the spectators can relate to.

I've always felt like MATS got it wrong right off the bat, by charging more for the class, and separating it from Super Pro, that removes it from being something everyone can shoot for, and makes it just a playground for the elite.

I love fast Mopar Door cars, and I'm way past beating on someone for being a customer of Fulton, Musi, Schmidt, Pro-line, Leonard ETC.

I'm several years away from even considering running something like that myself, but the family may have interest if the class shows growth. Next year I just hope to have a few slow street cars there.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 07:15 AM

test and tune friday..saturday . and for those that want to buy into a box or no box bracket race. and the other will still get there normal two or three passes. imo. i would love one more day of racing.... i think phill needs to be very careful opening it up much more to the brand x cars. with pony wars AFX and mopars vs the world that is a large amount of others. all ready
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 07:27 AM

the q-16 at our local 5k holiday races gets 8 door cars and 8 dragsters to run, if you buy a sp card you dont have to make that race until you go out in q-16 then jump into sp, dont know if this is a good idea for everybody but it gets alot of cars in it here.

i would probably not have the hp to run it at a big race, but with the new bullet i might make a few now, its not that good of a race money wise, its just for bragging rights and make more laps down the track, it might save a round in sp sometime
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 07:34 AM

The way I see it... Its already been established at other events you need a Mopar body or a Mopar engine to race at a Mopar event... ala Steve Parrish. So with this in mind, I would have to vote for Mopar body or motor...

And I suppose if you get real technical.. To require a Mopar body and motor would leave out a certain AMC car that won the event last year...

To answer your other question, I suppose I can understand the logic behind pulling the fastest S/P to have them race seperately... but what about those (me) that race off the bottom bulb? and believe me.. I know most non box cars arent fast enough to even think about competing..

My vote would be to keep it a seperate class as-is.. The higher entry fee is good for Painter and the preferred pit parking area is good for us
Posted By: rickb67

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 08:06 AM

Not that I have a pony to run in that race but MOPAR body and MOPAR engine only.

Attached picture 8341370-flyingfish.jpg
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 08:44 AM

Further dilution of the Mopar hobby......
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant.

Just Remember Al...
You asked!

As you know, I first saw this type of show at the Monster Mopar Weekend, in like 1997. The Q-16 show there just kind of grew organically from the Super Pro time runs. They started posting a qualifying sheet, had 1 time run on Sunday, then took the quickest 16 CARS for the show. They even allowed the 8 first round losers to drop into the first round of Super Pro!
For a couple of years, it was just an honor to get listed on the qualifying sheet, and gave bracket racers who took pride in going as fast as they could a chance to shine. IMO they ruined it when they allowed dragsters in, period. Dragsters have a place at Mopar events for certain, it's called Super Pro. Q-16 should be a celebration of really quick door cars, that the spectators can relate to.

I've always felt like MATS got it wrong right off the bat, by charging more for the class, and separating it from Super Pro, that removes it from being something everyone can shoot for, and makes it just a playground for the elite.

I love fast Mopar Door cars, and I'm way past beating on someone for being a customer of Fulton, Musi, Schmidt, Pro-line, Leonard ETC.

I'm several years away from even considering running something like that myself, but the family may have interest if the class shows growth. Next year I just hope to have a few slow street cars there.

If the dragsters want into that class then so be it. But no electronics/ delayboxes throttle stops etc... Trans break yes no problem. Then take the 8 top dragsters and the 8 top door cars and let it happen

Or let both groups run off and for the final round a door car vs. a dragster every time. The crowds love it.
Posted By: jose jones

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 04:09 PM

I was setting with Phil Painter in the stands watching the Super Nationals in Vegas last weekend, As we were there one of the lane directors on the track was hit by a vehicle not watching where he was going, The ambulance at the track came hauling from the finish line area to assist the lane directors injury. I ask Phil if he was required to have a ambulance at his Mopars at he Strip event, He said yes it was mandatory from the track,the ambulance alone is about $7,000 for the weekend. We also noted that out of apx 350 race cars there were only about a dozen Mopars. We also discussed Mopar engine or Mopar bodies to run at his event, The issue here is as Mopar fans we are such a minority that it is difficult to field a Mopar only event, Feel free to express your thoughts, I will ask Phil to read this forum.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 06:45 PM

The field for the MATS has been full. But the idea of doing something like the ole Monster Mopar deal appeals to me. Not having a minimum ET cut off perse' and simply running the fastest 16 cars, thus giving everyone an oppourtunity I believe is a great way to go. If it were to keep a minimum ET for the class, say 9.00 I think to keep it going it will HAVE To be opened up to Mopar bodied or powered cars. I also would prefer to see 8 dragsters and 8 door cars but not sure how realistic it is to do that at this race.

In my humble opinion the biggest issue is just a lack of participation out here in the west for this class. It has never been particularly big so opening it up so more can participate is a great idea.

Keep the feedback coming. It will get to he people it needs to. If anything will be getting changed we need feedback soon as decisions will be made by mid December.
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 07:26 PM

Quote:

The field for the MATS has been full. But the idea of doing something like the ole Monster Mopar deal appeals to me. Not having a minimum ET cut off perse' and simply running the fastest 16 cars, thus giving everyone an oppourtunity I believe is a great way to go. If it were to keep a minimum ET for the class, say 9.00 I think to keep it going it will HAVE To be opened up to Mopar bodied or powered cars. I also would prefer to see 8 dragsters and 8 door cars but not sure how realistic it is to do that at this race.

In my humble opinion the biggest issue is just a lack of participation out here in the west for this class. It has never been particularly big so opening it up so more can participate is a great idea.

Keep the feedback coming. It will get to he people it needs to. If anything will be getting changed we need feedback soon as decisions will be made by mid December.

It could be the quickest 8 dragsters and 8 quickest door cars of who showed up and entered that day. No minimum ET. But I'd handicap the dragsters to no electronics if you were to have a run off of the fastest door car and the fastest dragster for the number one spot at the end of the day.
Posted By: sccuda

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/25/14 09:37 PM

I think it is a fun challenge to try and get in the field. Yes I plan on attending 2015. I would like to see mopar only bodies with dragsters allowed and mopar only "style" powerplants. Keep it quick 16 The quickest 16 racecars until it becomes a problem of mostly dragsters, then split it to 8 & 8. I dont believe this is a problem now or has been in the past. Would like to see eliminations on Sat night as being the main headliner with 1st round losers being able to buy in to s/pro the next day just as s/pro cars already can. Keep electronics allowed. I would also like to see an extra race in there either Friday or Saturday. I tow almost 1000 miles to be there It is fun but would like another race to play in for the weekend. Hope this helps and see you in March.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/26/14 02:04 AM

Well Al, I think I agree with most of what Dave suggests. It's 1050 miles from our door to the track (16 hours for most people, 4 days for us ) That's an expensive tow so I need to feel it's worthwhile. Fun wise as well as payout potential.

A Sat. night first round with a buy back into SP Sunday would make the long tow a lot easier to justify.

Somebody at the meeting this year mentioned the possibility of a quick 32 if other brands were let in. So, maybe put that together with Dave's idea?

If I show up there and have to be irritated the whole weekend about the format, I might not want to go.

I'm not smart enough to come up with a better solution but I do understand the promoter's position from a monetary standpoint.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/26/14 06:01 AM

Personally, I like it the way it has been for the past several years. It's a Mopar race and you should have to race a Mopar body or motor to get in. That said I know money needs to be made, and will probably participate either way. Saturday night sounds good for Q16 eliminations, but that is also the night of the Cannery concert and car show......I think.
Posted By: Eric

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/26/14 08:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just Remember Al...
You asked!

If the dragsters want into that class then so be it. But no electronics/ delayboxes throttle stops etc... Trans break yes no problem. Then take the 8 top dragsters and the 8 top door cars and let it happen

Or let both groups run off and for the final round a door car vs. a dragster every time. The crowds love it.

Try finding a fast door car let alone a dragster without a delay box...throttle stop...or both...
Posted By: 69dart

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 04:30 PM

Around here it seems only Monster Mopar at Norwalk gets a true Q16 field. I believe they separate door cars and open bodied cars. Then run-off in the final. National Trails uses the same format for the weekly Super 32.

I would prefer not to see brand x powered cars.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 04:50 PM

Quote:

Around here it seems only Monster Mopar at Norwalk gets a true Q16 field. I believe they separate door cars and open bodied cars. Then run-off in the final. National Trails uses the same format for the weekly Super 32.

I would prefer not to see brand x powered cars.

Monster Mopar is no longer a qualified field. Anyone under a certain ET could run the class now. Norwalk used to be the quickest 32 (16 door-cars-16 dragsters) but its now a fast super-pro type class.

Jeff Allison Motorsports Big Dog Rules

1/8th Mile

ET – 5.70 or faster

Tree – Full

Motor – Mopar Only -No other motor design will pass tech

Electronics – Electornics Allowed

Equipment – Nitrous, Super Charger, Turbo Charger Allowed

Tech Items – Driver and car must pass NHRA guidelines for the speed run. Cars, safety equipment, and driver’s credentials will be thoroughly inspected when submitting for technical inspection. Check your expiration dates and update if necessary before arriving to the track.

Burnout – May go past the starting line and backup to stage.

Lane Choice – Better Reaction gets Lane Choice.

• This class is an all run field

• You can not dial more than .200 slower than the slowest car in the field
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 05:00 PM

As a spectator and pit guy, I would also prefer to have it all Mopar (and orphan brands AKA AMX).

I know that there is a big bracket race at Vegas around the same time and understand that you may get some early or late hangers from that, but it hasn't happened much before.

So I guess that I can't offer much help in how the promoter chooses to set up the race, except that I would prefer not to see a field of pipe racks with BBCs stuttering down the track. I have been to the bracket race also with another car (SBM Altered) and while it's a good race, it's not MATS.

Thanks to Mr. Painter for continuing this show, we hope to attend again in 2015 and go more rounds with both Orange Monsters in AFX. Changes to the Q16 will not affect our plans, so again, this is just an outside opinion.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 06:16 PM

as a spectater, to pay to see a all mopar event, and have to watch a chevy powered dragster...NO NO!
unless its on Nitro, even then.
but a mopar powered camaro / nova thats ok....cant be to many of those out there.

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 06:31 PM

Well I do not think you will need to worry about Chevy powered dragsters being an issue. But if the odd powered Mopar body I cannot see why the fans would care. After all they are seeing a Mopar body(Avenger, Daytona, Cuda etc)go down the track. Many of the current Mopar power plants look foreign to the average Mopar guy anyway.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 06:39 PM

Quote:

As a spectator and pit guy, I would also prefer to have it all Mopar (and orphan brands AKA AMX).

I know that there is a big bracket race at Vegas around the same time and understand that you may get some early or late hangers from that, but it hasn't happened much before.

So I guess that I can't offer much help in how the promoter chooses to set up the race, except that I would prefer not to see a field of pipe racks with BBCs stuttering down the track. I have been to the bracket race also with another car (SBM Altered) and while it's a good race, it's not MATS.

Thanks to Mr. Painter for continuing this show, we hope to attend again in 2015 and go more rounds with both Orange Monsters in AFX. Changes to the Q16 will not affect our plans, so again, this is just an outside opinion.

I prefer to leave it as designed
Instead of letting more "Brand X " in we should be working
on encouraging True Mopar Enthusiast to come and support it.
We wouldn't even be talking about this if they did.

Attached picture 8343537-IMG_1301.JPG
Posted By: Crizila

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 11/27/14 09:18 PM

Quote:

Next pertaining to the power plants. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about NON Mopar powerplants running in Mopar bodied cars? Are you against the idea entirely or open to the idea? In otherwords door cars would have to be Mopar bodied but they could be powered by a brand X powerplant. ALL dragsters would be Mopar powered.

Just trying to help out and get some input from the guys I don't know personally. Please feel free to share your idea. Trying to help make this class better and continue to keep a venue to race at here.

I like to think that people that attend these events are a little more automotive savvy then those that attend NHRA events - at least they don't start drinking before noon . Door cars should be all Mopar. It is a Mopar event still, right? Dragsters should be running Mopar engines. Q 16 is ok. "Big Dog" run-off is a good idea also. Lets people see the really fast cars more. Personally, I would like to see a class for only "Chrysler" badged cars - ok, just kidding on the one.

Attached picture 8343720-DaStrip2.jpg
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 12/08/14 02:47 AM

Is there anymore info on this? Like 8 dragsters/8 door cars, Chevy engines, dragsters OK? Just wondering......

Re: A question about Q16 at Mopars at the Strip - 12/18/14 08:47 PM

One last shot at this deal.Anyone else have anything to ad?
© 2024 Moparts Forums