T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
Quote:

Ok folks...since we are all just pipe dreaming...lowdeck or RB?...and I would think we should stick with aluminum but it's up to you all..

Low deck with 8 sleeves. That is what many of the Super Stockers due. I have seen them in the 800HP range.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: All this block talk... [Re: Dragula] #1672727
09/18/14 04:28 PM
09/18/14 04:28 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

It was a surprisingly simple question that seemed to ignite the debate in the other thread...As many of us on here do, I race on a budget.

If you look at the Gen3 Hemi builds...all those are with the stock block at +700hp. I have seen the new aluminum blocks for sale, but have yet to see any builds with them. And honestly, I would switch to one if they weren't so costly. A stroker kit at $2700 is pretty steep, and at only 392 to 426 cubes, it just doesn't make sense yet...

It would be great if everyone could afford a new $5k block...But the way I look at it, on a good running race engine, eventually something fails...What's really left of it when it does. On the last 5-6 failures I have seen, the block never survives, nor the cam, rods or pistons... And if you sell the race car, its worth pennies on the dollar and everyone low balls you on it.

You can't compare 60s technology to modern technology, so the comparison of a modern HEMI block to a 60 year designed RB block is a moot point. The main webs are weak in B and RB factory blocks and that will NOT change. And while it is true that catastrophic engine failure results in junk parts, the chances of main web failure in the aftermarket block being the root cause is pretty slim.............but if YOU are comfortable building 500+ in high HP motors in stock blocks......."crack on" with it, but don't expect many to think it is a good idea. All the talk of limiting rpms, limiting bobweights, girdles, caps, keeping the detonation down, etc, etc, etc, are all GOOD ideas.....NONE of which address the inherent problem though........weak in the webs. As I stated before, myself and several others here have done the same in the past.......but now, power is MUCH easier to make, we know better and good parts are available, so why risk it. I understand budget, but the old adage of doing it right the first time usually ends up being the cheapest route in the long term.

Lets say you do a good job at keeping an eye on things and do catch a cracked block before it destroys the motor. How many stock blocks, money wise, does it take to bore, hone, align hone, square deck, etc, before you could have bought a good block to start with

Monte

Re: All this block talk... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672728
09/18/14 05:18 PM
09/18/14 05:18 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
d7cook Offline
enthusiast
d7cook  Offline
enthusiast

Cincinnati, Ohio
Although Mopar is not Chevy in terms of price and availability it is much better than others. Having dabbled with Buicks I can tell you those blocks make a stock 440 look stout. And if you want aftermarket aluminum Buick block they make KB look cheap and quick in comparison. The grass is always greener but it's really not too bad for Mopars.

On a side note can we expect MP megablocks again?

Last edited by d7cook; 09/18/14 05:19 PM.

1967 Coronet, 1989 Daytona tube chassis. Former cars, 66 Charger, 67 R/T, 69 Coronet, 67 Dart GT. -Banned for life from V8Buick.com-
Re: All this block talk... [Re: justinp61] #1672729
09/18/14 06:38 PM
09/18/14 06:38 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

If you can get me an aluminum small block, 9.6" deck, will take a 4.18 bore water block I'd be in at $3k.

I guess so, you can't even do an R or X block for that if you have to buy the block.

Re: All this block talk... [Re: Quicktree] #1672730
09/18/14 11:49 PM
09/18/14 11:49 PM
nielsville, minn.
Q
quickd100 Offline
master
quickd100  Offline
master
Q

nielsville, minn.
As long as we're dreaming, a cheap aluminum tall deck 5" bore centers with matching heads, crank........Dave

Re: All this block talk... [Re: quickd100] #1672731
09/19/14 01:40 PM
09/19/14 01:40 PM
Franklin, TN
23T Hemmee Offline
mopar
23T Hemmee  Offline
mopar

Franklin, TN
Hey Dave,

Been a while, hope you're doing well. When you get a chance, can you PM me some particulars on your short block, may have some parts you can use....

Ronny
6.789 @ 198.63 **.956 Brand New 60'***
4.17@ 169 1/8th mile
John 14:6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUku_hjYRh8
Re: All this block talk... [Re: 23T Hemmee] #1672732
09/19/14 02:30 PM
09/19/14 02:30 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Mopar aluminium blocks for 3K, If my aunt had nuts,she would be my uncle.Last time I checked iron blocks were 3K and the gougers were asking a $800 on top of that.Heck for $200 more or 4K I would buy an Indy or HP aluminium block.

Re: All this block talk... [Re: B G Racing] #1672733
09/19/14 06:29 PM
09/19/14 06:29 PM
bigfork mn
D
dragram440 Offline
super stock
dragram440  Offline
super stock
D

bigfork mn
How many stock blocks, money wise, does it take to bore, hone, align hone, square deck, etc, before you could have bought a good block to start with

Do the aftermarket blocks come ready to go?

67' charger 499 RB 10.57 at 127
Re: All this block talk... [Re: dragram440] #1672734
09/19/14 07:00 PM
09/19/14 07:00 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

How many stock blocks, money wise, does it take to bore, hone, align hone, square deck, etc, before you could have bought a good block to start with

They need to be machined as well, atleast I know most do...and it seems some have their own problems that need correcting also (not BBM in specific, just in general), which is part of the reason I am hesitant to ever want to use one...Lots of coin to buy, then more to machine, and possibly more to fix "problems" that when you are paying the money they command new, you shouldn't have to pay to fix...Thats just my opinion though

Re: All this block talk... [Re: mshred] #1672735
09/19/14 11:28 PM
09/19/14 11:28 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
What ever happened to the Ritter block program?

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: All this block talk... [Re: pittsburghracer] #1672736
09/19/14 11:39 PM
09/19/14 11:39 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Great Question.. I was thinking the same thing, but didn't post it..

Chris..

Re: All this block talk... [Re: pittsburghracer] #1672737
09/19/14 11:42 PM
09/19/14 11:42 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

It would be doing well if I was machining them. All it needs is someone running the machines who gives a hoot.

Re: All this block talk... [Re: pittsburghracer] #1672738
09/19/14 11:43 PM
09/19/14 11:43 PM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Offline
top fuel
rickraw  Offline
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
That block was a stout piece, too bad the machining was garbage. There was supposed to have been a build last winter, but that never happened.

Re: All this block talk... [Re: rickraw] #1672739
09/19/14 11:49 PM
09/19/14 11:49 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
If anyone who watched Dragweek paid just a little attention they would have seen that the LS Chevy was far and away the engine of choice..

All of the interviews about them were the same.. Just pick one up out of a junk yard and add a turbo..

Bam 900hp +++..

Hard to argue with that..

Chris..

Re: All this block talk... [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1672740
09/19/14 11:54 PM
09/19/14 11:54 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

If anyone who watched Dragweek paid just a little attention they would have seen that the LS Chevy was far and away the engine of choice..

All of the interviews about them were the same.. Just pick one up out of a junk yard and add a turbo..

Bam 900hp +++..

Hard to argue with that..

Chris..

Ain't that the truth! Only problem with that is a b!tch to stage if you're bracket racing.

Re: All this block talk... [Re: rickraw] #1672741
09/20/14 02:46 AM
09/20/14 02:46 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Quote:

That block was a stout piece, too bad the machining was garbage. There was supposed to have been a build last winter, but that never happened.

Selecting a shop to perform work like based on price can often bite you in the buTT!

If I won the lottery, I'd make blocks for Mopars, it's not something I would put my house on to finance. I would be back living with my in-laws in no time

Alan Jones
Re: All this block talk... [Re: mshred] #1672742
09/20/14 04:03 AM
09/20/14 04:03 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

They need to be machined as well, atleast I know most do...and it seems some have their own problems that need correcting also (not BBM in specific, just in general), which is part of the reason I am hesitant to ever want to use one...Lots of coin to buy, then more to machine, and possibly more to fix "problems" that when you are paying the money they command new, you shouldn't have to pay to fix...Thats just my opinion though

ANY block needs to checked. I build a lot of motors of all brands and use mostly aftermarket blocks. All these "problems" that people speak of............well I guess I have been lucky, as I haven't needed to do anything other than normal machining procedures on any of them. And also I guess it also has to do with what people consider problems. On a Mega-Block, you have to do some grinding to make a Jesel belt drive clear and also some grinding to clear some aftermarket oil pumps. Not sure I consider that a problem, just something that has to be done. But still, whatever machining is required is cheaper on one block than two or three.

As far as stock blocks, some of you guys must have way better luck than me. I usually have to go through several before I find one I would even be willing to use. I find the core shift to be very bad and the cylinders get way too thin on the major thrust side even before boring. Admittedly though, I am VERY picky about what I will use. It took me 4 blocks to find a 360 block I would use on my daily driver Challenger motor and it doesn't make 450hp.........LOL!!!........If it is not the cylinder bores, it's the lifter bores. Very erratic castings

Monte

Re: All this block talk... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672743
09/20/14 10:00 AM
09/20/14 10:00 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Heres the deal,,
Everyone doesnt have the deep pockets to
Reach out n buy aftermarket blocks hard to believe
But true, in stock form one can run a car into the
10 sec zone with just normal upgrades of a 400/440
Combos
One must mill over what type of racing he involved
With and how far he or she is willing to go depepending
on budget allowed , and how involved in the sport
he or she is in
Going out spending 10-15 grand on a bracket motor
that will see a track at rate of once twice a month or
Two races a year is in no way going to keep this
sport alive n growing.
Now you serious racer guys who build motor at max
Hp max torq then step up to that much desired aftermarket
blocks .
But us normal guys have to stay in a budget in
order to stay in racing .
Can stock blocks hold up yes up to a certain
set of rules
Build comfortable to your racing needs not because
another tells you have to do it this way or
That way
Build smart dont build if your racing program has to stay
In a garage because you cant afford to go out m run

Re: All this block talk... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672744
09/20/14 10:15 AM
09/20/14 10:15 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ANY block needs to checked. I build a lot of motors of all brands and use mostly aftermarket blocks. All these "problems" that people speak of............well I guess I have been lucky, as I haven't needed to do anything other than normal machining procedures on any of them. And also I guess it also has to do with what people consider problems. On a Mega-Block, you have to do some grinding to make a Jesel belt drive clear and also some grinding to clear some aftermarket oil pumps. Not sure I consider that a problem, just something that has to be done. But still, whatever machining is required is cheaper on one block than two or three.

As far as stock blocks, some of you guys must have way better luck than me. I usually have to go through several before I find one I would even be willing to use. I find the core shift to be very bad and the cylinders get way too thin on the major thrust side even before boring. Admittedly though, I am VERY picky about what I will use. It took me 4 blocks to find a 360 block I would use on my daily driver Challenger motor and it doesn't make 450hp.........LOL!!!........If it is not the cylinder bores, it's the lifter bores. Very erratic castings

Monte

They make pill for that lol

Monte sorry you have such bad luck
We had a 400/451 block together for well over 10 years of racing
No concrete no girdle otb rpm heads running 9.80. In 3200# car on alcohol, trans break
With just normal refresh with no abnormal wear
We have a 500 cu 440 source kit running low 10. Teens / twentys in a 3700 #
Car with trans break
Its been together for several years
No we do not do all that core shift bla bla fancey stuff
Im running a 437 out of a 383 been together 3 years running 10.30 in 3000#
Car i can step it up run in the 9 but im happy where im at and the combo i have
We have a 474 ohio crank kit in a 4000# car now running 10.50 been together a few
Years now no issues
So it can be done on stock blocks be as reliable as anything out there
Trick i truely believe is in the engine builder and balancer job given
And keeping operator error out

Re: All this block talk... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1672745
09/20/14 10:44 AM
09/20/14 10:44 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I agree that stock blocks are a gamble Monte (Why I half filled my SB because I was nervous the block would split), and I can't say I have ever used an aftermarket block to have problems with one. To me, grinding something is not a big deal either...but I have had friends with Dart Chevy and Ford blocks, or Ford racing blocks that needed modifications beyond just regular machining to work, for things that seemed that they should have been right when they bought their blocks- bad batch, maybe? But hearing more then one story about it kinda had me scratching my head since aftermarket stuff should be NICE, not need WORK. Then I read about the ritter horror stories on here for the sb stuff...and now there is no more stock of R3 blocks at Chrysler...just makes someone like me who can't afford to do things twice or re-design/work a part that should have been right from the start a little hesitant.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3