08/29/14 05:07 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Keep in mind, that during "troubleshooting", if you leave the key/ignition in the run/on mode for more than 20 seconds at a time WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, you run the risk of damaging the Petronix HallCell

Mike

Well that is just plain silly , what good is something like that ?

Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: JohnRR] #1664584
08/29/14 05:57 PM
08/29/14 05:57 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind, that during "troubleshooting", if you leave the key/ignition in the run/on mode for more than 20 seconds at a time WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, you run the risk of damaging the Petronix HallCell

Mike

Well that is just plain silly , what good is something like that ?

John, that's what Petronix says:...They insist that if you have to work on the electrical system with the key/ignition in the on position for more than 20 seconds WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, disable the Petronix HallCell red lead from the coil to avoid damaging the HallCell....

Mike

Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: wkroncke17] #1664585
08/29/14 06:17 PM
08/29/14 06:17 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

OP make sure your source provides 12 volts to the petronix unit when hot. I had a car that ran well for a time, 30 minutes or so, then once things were good and heat soaked it died. When hot my source had less than 12 volts. Was fine cold.

I let the car sit overnight, tried it the next day, and still no spark.
Should a volt tester on the + side of the coil give me voltage?
Man I'm not good with this electrical stuff......

What is the air gap?
If the air gap between the module and magnet sleeve is too great...
The ignition will not fire...

With electronic ignition systems, when a problem arises many just start swapping parts when the basic components are fine..
This can also happen with a wide variance in temperature.

Just my $0.01...

Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: Sinitro] #1664586
08/29/14 11:37 PM
08/29/14 11:37 PM
wisconsin
1BAD68 Offline
super stock
1BAD68  Offline
super stock

wisconsin
I had that happen to my 68 first time I installed a pertronix. Drove around fine, parked it, went in to a store, came out and it wouldn't start. Ended up towing it home. I found that the plate that is mounted inside the distributor with the pickup mounted on it, needs to be grounded really good. It's mounted with one little screw and if its not tightened really good, it will not start.
I tightened it up and haven't had an issue since (going on 6 years now)

Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: 1BAD68] #1664587
08/30/14 01:25 AM
08/30/14 01:25 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
For basics, the coil positive primary and the P need fire in ign2 "crank" and in ign1 "run". If you are supposed to bypass the ballast you either connect the wire(s) on each end together or solder a wire on the back side of the ballast & keep it for appearances sake. If all good on the above as said I'd suspect the Hall cell is fried. I'd at least ohm it & see if it still has continuity

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: RapidRobert] #1664588
08/30/14 01:34 AM
08/30/14 01:34 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

For basics, the coil positive primary and the P need fire in ign2 "crank" and in ign1 "run". If you are supposed to bypass the ballast you either connect the wire(s) on each end together or solder a wire on the back side of the ballast & keep it for appearances sake. If all good on the above as said I'd suspect the Hall cell is fried. I'd at least ohm it & see if it still has continuity

A quick test for the OP is to of course confirm all mechanical aspects of the ignition system, clean, tight connection, continuity test of the system, air gap adjusted properly, clean/cap/rotor, good plug wires, etc, etc,voltage test, if still no worky, then.....

8255508-ignitor.JPG (58 downloads)
Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: DAYCLONA] #1664589
08/30/14 03:43 AM
08/30/14 03:43 AM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

A quick test for the OP is to of course confirm all mechanical aspects of the ignition system, clean, tight connection, continuity test of the system, air gap adjusted properly, clean/cap/rotor, good plug wires, etc, etc,voltage test, if still no worky, then.....

Got new Pertronix system, a 1.5 ohm coil - bypassed the ballast resistor, and it fired right up!!
Gonna definitely use the trick of soldering a wire on the back of the BR to jump it and leave it in the stock place.
Thanks to all who chimed in.
If I encounter any other issues, il be sure to bring them up here.

Wally.

Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: wkroncke17] #1664590
08/30/14 11:14 AM
08/30/14 11:14 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Got new Pertronix system, a 1.5 ohm coil - bypassed the ballast resistor, and it fired right up!!
Gonna definitely use the trick of soldering a wire on the back of the BR to jump it and leave it in the stock place.
Thanks to all who chimed in.
If I encounter any other issues, il be sure to bring them up here.

Wally.

When you gut out the Ballast resistor, remove the resistance coil, solder in an INSULATED #10 wire to the 2 terminals, make sure there's nothing that protrudes out the backside to contact the firewall when mounted and possibly short out the bypass, you could also epoxy or plaster the back in to insulate it, you'll now have a true 12 volt system

I'll assume you wired the black lead to the negative terminal on the coil, and the red lead to the positive terminal on the coil, and your blue ignition lead from the harness/bulkhead should go to the positive side of the coil...

Mike

Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: wkroncke17] #1664591
08/31/14 05:58 AM
08/31/14 05:58 AM
Norrland, Sweden
Swedcharger67 Offline
enthusiast
Swedcharger67  Offline
enthusiast

Norrland, Sweden
Glad you have it working again.
Just to try to clarify:
- Pertronix generation 1 works exactly as the old points system, i.e. can overheat the coil if ignition is on and the engine is not running. Depending on the coil, this system usually needs a ballast resisitor.
- Pertronix generations 2 & 3 have built in electronic current limitation to prevent overheating of the coil with ignition on and not running the engine. These systems are usually used without a ballast resistor, but it depends on the coil.

Never use an Ohm-value lower than minimum specified, as this will cause the current to become higher than what the electronics is designed to handle safely.
However, to get maximun energy to the sparks one should choose a coil that has the minumum Ohm-value allowed for the ignition system used.

Martin, 67 Charger, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition & injection
Re: R/T just quit on me. No spark. Pertronix?? [Re: Swedcharger67] #1664592
09/01/14 11:15 AM
09/01/14 11:15 AM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline OP
master
wkroncke17  Offline OP
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Glad you have it working again.
Just to try to clarify:
- Pertronix generation 1 works exactly as the old points system, i.e. can overheat the coil if ignition is on and the engine is not running. Depending on the coil, this system usually needs a ballast resisitor.
- Pertronix generations 2 & 3 have built in electronic current limitation to prevent overheating of the coil with ignition on and not running the engine. These systems are usually used without a ballast resistor, but it depends on the coil.

Never use an Ohm-value lower than minimum specified, as this will cause the current to become higher than what the electronics is designed to handle safely.
However, to get maximun energy to the sparks one should choose a coil that has the minumum Ohm-value allowed for the ignition system used.

Bump for the Swedish Charger......I would like to know all of this also.

Thanks again guys!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2