07/20/14 11:49 AM
07/20/14 11:49 AM
Oakwood Ont Canada
340mouse Offline OP
enthusiast
340mouse  Offline OP
enthusiast

Oakwood Ont Canada
Taking the headliner out of my 68 Cuda fastback(friggin mice)
any tips I need to know, any tips on installing would help also.
Thanks Dave

Re: Headliner tips [Re: 340mouse] #1648550
07/20/14 12:51 PM
07/20/14 12:51 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I've only did one (65 dart). vinyl I'm assuming. Set it out on a blanket in the sun to get some of the wrinkles out. Need a helper. I would suggest working on it over several days or more as it will test your patience & you want most of the wrinkels out before you cut it/install the trim that locks it down tho a hair dryer will remove very slight wrinkles after you are done. The rear sail panel area was the hardest to get smooth. I would suggest some dynamat (or similar) that is thin under there also. take your time

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Headliner tips [Re: RapidRobert] #1648551
07/20/14 12:56 PM
07/20/14 12:56 PM
Buford, GA
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master
I_bleed_MOPAR  Offline
master

Buford, GA
Like RR, I've only done the one in my sons '71 Charger. Like he said, lay it out in the sun for a while. Label the headliner bows as to location when you remove them. And echoing RR again, take your time.

Tim

'71 Charger 383/727
'17 Challenger SXT (Wifeys car wink )
Re: Headliner tips [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR] #1648552
07/20/14 01:06 PM
07/20/14 01:06 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
I did the headliner with my wonderful wife assisting, so yes it is good to have a second set of hands (for sure when you install headliner initially with inserting the bows). I had to go back either later in the day, or the next day and re-adjust some spots to tighten it up to get puckers out. This was the first one that I have done, and it came out beautiful!

Re: Headliner tips [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #1648553
07/20/14 01:56 PM
07/20/14 01:56 PM
Canton, Ohio
Crazy68Dart Offline
pro stock
Crazy68Dart  Offline
pro stock

Canton, Ohio
I just finished the headliner in the Dart. It came out pretty nice. My car has a cage, so that sort of complicated things but some tips:

- Make sure you trim the listing pockets back far enough. Otherwise, you will get wrinkles when you stretch near the seams. I needed to go back and trim mine back multiple times and at that I still think I could have gone further.
- Lay it out in the sun, some guys take a steamer or clothes iron with a towel to the fold marks. Mine has been out of the box in a while, and I had it in the sun a few times. Either way, not critical, those marks will eventually come out.
- Start front to back, center/center, then do sides front to back (how I did mine anyway).
- I went to Harber Freight and bought a bunch of the 99 cent claps with red dipped tips/handles.
- Use brush on glue/contact cement. I can't imagine using a sprayer unless it was a pro version with controlled pattern.
- Patience, and lots of it!
- Look at all the gripper teeth and make sure they are there (Dart was missing one for some reason). Make sure they are straight, etc. for easy "gripping".
- Up to you on this, but I glued foil backed rubber patches across the surface of the roof to help with vibration. Then I glued poly/insulation to help with heat control and additional sound deadening.

I thought I was done, and saw some wrinkles. I did not pull side to side tight enough. Don't be scared of tugging on it a bit. The material will stretch. Anyway, I pulled the sides loose and re-did them.

Sail panel area was the hardest part as you can imagine.

383, Hemi 4-Speed, AlterKtion, D60
Re: Headliner tips [Re: Crazy68Dart] #1648554
07/20/14 01:58 PM
07/20/14 01:58 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA

Re: Headliner tips [Re: Crazy68Dart] #1648555
07/21/14 07:54 AM
07/21/14 07:54 AM
weymouth,mass.
M
meepmeep70 Offline
master
meepmeep70  Offline
master
M

weymouth,mass.
Quote:

I just finished the headliner in the Dart. It came out pretty nice. My car has a cage, so that sort of complicated things but some tips:

- Make sure you trim the listing pockets back far enough. Otherwise, you will get wrinkles when you stretch near the seams. I needed to go back and trim mine back multiple times and at that I still think I could have gone further.
- Lay it out in the sun, some guys take a steamer or clothes iron with a towel to the fold marks. Mine has been out of the box in a while, and I had it in the sun a few times. Either way, not critical, those marks will eventually come out.
- Start front to back, center/center, then do sides front to back (how I did mine anyway).
- I went to Harber Freight and bought a bunch of the 99 cent claps with red dipped tips/handles.
- Use brush on glue/contact cement. I can't imagine using a sprayer unless it was a pro version with controlled pattern.
- Look at all the gripper teeth and make sure they are there (Dart was missing one for some reason). Make sure they are straight, etc. for easy "gripping".
- Up to you on this, but I glued foil backed rubber patches across the surface of the roof to help with vibration. Then I glued poly/insulation to help with heat control and additional sound deadening.

I thought I was done, and saw some wrinkles. I did not pull side to side tight enough. Don't be scared of tugging on it a bit. The material will stretch. Anyway, I pulled the sides loose and re-did them.

all great tips, i will just add, put all screws back in there holes (sunvisor,mirror seatbelts,clothes hanger ,dome light) make a small map with measurements were these screws are, install headliners, then it will be way easier to feel the head of the screws instead of the holes, with a sharp exacto knife cut small x at top of screw head, then back screw out with your screw driver

Re: Headliner tips [Re: meepmeep70] #1648556
07/21/14 09:45 AM
07/21/14 09:45 AM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

all great tips, i will just add, put all screws back in there holes (sunvisor,mirror seatbelts,clothes hanger ,dome light) make a small map with measurements were these screws are, install headliners, then it will be way easier to feel the head of the screws instead of the holes, with a sharp exacto knife cut small x at top of screw head, then back screw out with your screw driver

Great tips!

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes