Moparts

Headliner tips

Posted By: 340mouse

Headliner tips - 07/20/14 03:49 PM

Taking the headliner out of my 68 Cuda fastback(friggin mice)
any tips I need to know, any tips on installing would help also.
Thanks Dave
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Headliner tips - 07/20/14 04:51 PM

I've only did one (65 dart). vinyl I'm assuming. Set it out on a blanket in the sun to get some of the wrinkles out. Need a helper. I would suggest working on it over several days or more as it will test your patience & you want most of the wrinkels out before you cut it/install the trim that locks it down tho a hair dryer will remove very slight wrinkles after you are done. The rear sail panel area was the hardest to get smooth. I would suggest some dynamat (or similar) that is thin under there also. take your time
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Headliner tips - 07/20/14 04:56 PM

Like RR, I've only done the one in my sons '71 Charger. Like he said, lay it out in the sun for a while. Label the headliner bows as to location when you remove them. And echoing RR again, take your time.

Tim
Posted By: ONEBADBIRD

Re: Headliner tips - 07/20/14 05:06 PM

I did the headliner with my wonderful wife assisting, so yes it is good to have a second set of hands (for sure when you install headliner initially with inserting the bows). I had to go back either later in the day, or the next day and re-adjust some spots to tighten it up to get puckers out. This was the first one that I have done, and it came out beautiful!
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Headliner tips - 07/20/14 05:56 PM

I just finished the headliner in the Dart. It came out pretty nice. My car has a cage, so that sort of complicated things but some tips:

- Make sure you trim the listing pockets back far enough. Otherwise, you will get wrinkles when you stretch near the seams. I needed to go back and trim mine back multiple times and at that I still think I could have gone further.
- Lay it out in the sun, some guys take a steamer or clothes iron with a towel to the fold marks. Mine has been out of the box in a while, and I had it in the sun a few times. Either way, not critical, those marks will eventually come out.
- Start front to back, center/center, then do sides front to back (how I did mine anyway).
- I went to Harber Freight and bought a bunch of the 99 cent claps with red dipped tips/handles.
- Use brush on glue/contact cement. I can't imagine using a sprayer unless it was a pro version with controlled pattern.
- Patience, and lots of it!
- Look at all the gripper teeth and make sure they are there (Dart was missing one for some reason). Make sure they are straight, etc. for easy "gripping".
- Up to you on this, but I glued foil backed rubber patches across the surface of the roof to help with vibration. Then I glued poly/insulation to help with heat control and additional sound deadening.

I thought I was done, and saw some wrinkles. I did not pull side to side tight enough. Don't be scared of tugging on it a bit. The material will stretch. Anyway, I pulled the sides loose and re-did them.

Sail panel area was the hardest part as you can imagine.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Headliner tips - 07/20/14 05:58 PM

Via Resto Rick;

http://restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Headliner tips - 07/21/14 11:54 AM

Quote:

I just finished the headliner in the Dart. It came out pretty nice. My car has a cage, so that sort of complicated things but some tips:

- Make sure you trim the listing pockets back far enough. Otherwise, you will get wrinkles when you stretch near the seams. I needed to go back and trim mine back multiple times and at that I still think I could have gone further.
- Lay it out in the sun, some guys take a steamer or clothes iron with a towel to the fold marks. Mine has been out of the box in a while, and I had it in the sun a few times. Either way, not critical, those marks will eventually come out.
- Start front to back, center/center, then do sides front to back (how I did mine anyway).
- I went to Harber Freight and bought a bunch of the 99 cent claps with red dipped tips/handles.
- Use brush on glue/contact cement. I can't imagine using a sprayer unless it was a pro version with controlled pattern.
- Look at all the gripper teeth and make sure they are there (Dart was missing one for some reason). Make sure they are straight, etc. for easy "gripping".
- Up to you on this, but I glued foil backed rubber patches across the surface of the roof to help with vibration. Then I glued poly/insulation to help with heat control and additional sound deadening.

I thought I was done, and saw some wrinkles. I did not pull side to side tight enough. Don't be scared of tugging on it a bit. The material will stretch. Anyway, I pulled the sides loose and re-did them.

all great tips, i will just add, put all screws back in there holes (sunvisor,mirror seatbelts,clothes hanger ,dome light) make a small map with measurements were these screws are, install headliners, then it will be way easier to feel the head of the screws instead of the holes, with a sharp exacto knife cut small x at top of screw head, then back screw out with your screw driver
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Headliner tips - 07/21/14 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

all great tips, i will just add, put all screws back in there holes (sunvisor,mirror seatbelts,clothes hanger ,dome light) make a small map with measurements were these screws are, install headliners, then it will be way easier to feel the head of the screws instead of the holes, with a sharp exacto knife cut small x at top of screw head, then back screw out with your screw driver

Great tips!
© 2024 Moparts Forums