R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....

Which is exactly what we did...

We used the floorpan as a reference...

The Standox formulation nailed-it...

The end-result nailed-it...

FC-7 is one of the worst to try and match...

I've looked at a ton of 'original paint' FC-7 survivors over the years...

There's too many uncertainties about this color...

Many OE 'purple' Dodges I've looked at seem darker than a lot of the OE 'purple' Plymouths...

After all these years, a match to the car is probably as good as it gets...

If you can't use an unblemished area of the car as a reference, yer flyin' blind...

Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: RSNOMO] #1635946
06/27/14 12:32 AM
06/27/14 12:32 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....

Which is exactly what we did...

We used the floorpan as a reference...

The Standox formulation nailed-it...

The end-result nailed-it...

Many OE 'purple' Dodges I've looked at seem darker than a lot of the OE 'purple' Plymouths...

After all these years, a match to the car is probably as good as it gets...

If you can't use an unblemished area of the car as a reference, yer flyin' blind...

Agreed,...and that's only the starting point, then there's the primer base/shade value, coverage/overlap at painting time/spray outs to still achieve and maintain the match desired, plus a hundred other variables all effect the actual out come....just that today's resto crowd thinks the "original" factory colors and OEM paint suppliers are somehow revered to have been infallible, every car in the same color was EXACT year after year, plant after plant, as if "robots" were mixing and spraying the paint....human error/intervention never played a part

Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: RSNOMO] #1635947
06/27/14 12:46 AM
06/27/14 12:46 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Many OE 'purple' Dodges I've looked at seem darker than a lot of the OE 'purple' Plymouths..

Shhhh now you've opened Pandora's box, according to some "experts" that's not true

The Mopar resto crowd is still fixated with the letters "PPG" as their "go to" for paint matching/selection, paint ALTernate formulas and the their uses between Dodge and Plymouth to differentiate the same color haven't come to fruition for the majority of the resto crowd as of yet....you've obviously seen the facts thru your research, but sadly it often falls on deaf ears, or those of the "blinder/feed bucket" mentality

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: DAYCLONA] #1635948
06/27/14 03:21 AM
06/27/14 03:21 AM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I use dupont chromabase on almost everything now... mixed 1 to 1, a gallon will do a car in and out. Been using it and dupont clear for years. I used to use ppg, too expensive and not any better in my opinion than dupont.

Guy I know had his high dollar 71 curious yellow GTX painted using Dupont instead of PPG who has the orignial formulas for the colors.
Guess what...... WRONG color and now he has to live with it at every show, so much that he quit showing the car. He wishes now he would have spent the money for that too expensive paint.

And there's no guarantee that ppg would have been correct either if it was mixed wrong... so sounds like the painter or who mixed it is to blame, not dupont!

Why would the PPG supplier who has the correct formulas and equipment mix it wrong? The chances of that are 1000 to 1.

The dupont system does not have the correct color formulas for these cars like PPG has. So it is your choice. Guess at the color with Dupont and let them try to match the paint on an old part of the car or try to pick the correct yellow off a Dupont paint chart. There isn't one on their charts for curious yellow.

OR just get the correct color from PPG?????? I don't care who's paint YOU use, but without any doubt PPG has the color formulas that are correct for these cars. They were the original paint supplier.So at least you are starting out with the correct color.

The painter didn't mix it the Dupont supplier did with out the original formula. That's why it was wrong.

\

And like I said, "or who mixed it is to blame" There have been colors I haven't been able to get, I don't have them guess and mix it, hoping it's the right color. So it's duponts fault someone screwed up mixing it? You can't blame a whole line for one persons mistake

I have used PPG, I never said it's bad paint... I said it's too expensive. Doesn't mean I won't use it, but I try to avoid it when possible. And having used both many times, I see no advantage other than sometimes the color does match better, but not always.

Like I mentioned earlier, but I guess you didn't read it?, paint formulation in the last few years while trying to comply with VOC compliance, amongst other industry regulations, plus computer formulation/programs, has become streamlined, many mix formulas no longer support chemicals long gone due to VOC, plus the elimination of ALTernate formula/tints, or combining them into one formula has changed many mix formulas thru the entire paint industry, regardless of manufacturers, I'll give you an example of your "revered" PPG "original formulas" ....you go into the PPG computer program for 1970 PPG Plum Crazy Purple PPG # 2210 in the past you had 2 ALTernate formula tints, which one was correct?....you now had 2 shade/tint formulas that tweaked the color (reason why you see so many different shades of purple at a show, or when you go back for more paint, the color is off, even though the same guy/place mixed it before)...TODAY the PPG computer mix program for FC7 PPG 2210 Plum Crazy will call up and interface the PPG paint code 5463, although it will print PPG code 2210 for the mix label, the actual formula for the base, binder, balancer, tints, flop control agents, etc, etc will be for PPG 5463, a color PPG has determined to be "close enough" for you the consumer, so much for "accuracy"...

Like I said before there's no magical mix formula, from PPG or anyone, anymore, been that way from day one, any paint mfg's paint line can be made to match...even back in the day, when all we sprayed was enamel single stage, regardless of mfg, PPG, Dupont, Ditzsler, BASF, etc, etc all had ALTernate formulas to achieve a "match" so the mixer wasn't playing chemist to achieve a match, high end body shops would mix their own paint and tint accordingly to "match", but that was more for color blending of a repair than a revered restoration color match that most like to invoke today,

you want an accurate color match?, regardless of the paint mfg, you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....otherwise you stuck researching the color needed from the mfg you desire....going to the "original" OEM supplier is no guarantee of a color formula that is correct....back in the day, and even today the auto mfg's buy paint in vast bulk, do you think every vehicle produced week after week, month after month in the "same" color is the same EXACT shade of paint sprayed?...certainly not

Mike

You don't need to explain it to me... I'm well aware already. I recall a few colors I've sprayed having over 10 variations Nothing like having options! My point was you can't blame a line of paint, one being dupont from the poster above about the color being wrong... they didn't mix it in the incorrect shade at the factory. Someone else mixed the paint, then someone else proceeded to paint a car the wrong shade. Then they apparently proceeded to assemble and finish the car in the wrong shade... color was so off though, but they didn't catch it til done

Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: Silver70] #1635949
06/27/14 11:53 AM
06/27/14 11:53 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

You don't need to explain it to me... I'm well aware already. I recall a few colors I've sprayed having over 10 variations Nothing like having options! My point was you can't blame a line of paint, one being dupont from the poster above about the color being wrong... they didn't mix it in the incorrect shade at the factory. Someone else mixed the paint, then someone else proceeded to paint a car the wrong shade. Then they apparently proceeded to assemble and finish the car in the wrong shade... color was so off though, but they didn't catch it til done

Joe, my post wasn't directed towards you, your quotes were just caught up in the prior postings

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: DAYCLONA] #1635950
06/27/14 12:08 PM
06/27/14 12:08 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Quote:

Joe, my post wasn't directed towards you, your quotes were just caught up in the prior postings

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: Silver70] #1635951
07/05/14 01:06 AM
07/05/14 01:06 AM
Canada
MUSLCA Offline
super stock
MUSLCA  Offline
super stock

Canada
PPG for me......

8198017-012.JPG (138 downloads)
Last edited by MUSLCA; 07/05/14 01:07 AM.
Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: MUSLCA] #1635952
07/05/14 01:09 AM
07/05/14 01:09 AM
Canada
MUSLCA Offline
super stock
MUSLCA  Offline
super stock

Canada
GY3

8198024-076.JPG (127 downloads)
Re: Question on high-end paint brands [Re: MUSLCA] #1635953
07/07/14 10:48 AM
07/07/14 10:48 AM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Who dead on! Imagine that.

I can't believe you didn't search all over the car for a 40+ year old paint swatch, that even if it was not in the elements, darkened over the years at least 4 shades. Then try to get some kind of shot with the light sensitive electronic wonder wand to get the just kind of the right shade. Then go to Dupont or any other high end paint company and get them to guess at the shade from their color chip books or the reading from the wonder wand. Then shoot 10 spray out panels trying to subjectively eye match the shade.

No you just went to PPG, got the correct paint, shot your car and BAM! It looks fabulous and NO ONE can dispute whether the color is correct or not. But Dude it is base coat clear coat, with all new kinds of VOCs or ABCs. Man what were you thinking????

I love it and it looks great! Love you car! Nuff said!

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3