Moparts

Question on high-end paint brands

Posted By: A34

Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 06:17 AM

Hey Guys,

What are some of the higher end paint brands these days for a base/clear paint job? Is PPG still a top of the line paint?

Thanks!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 11:38 AM

IMHO if BC/CC is your objective, the best matl's are DuPont's Chroma Premier and Spies Hecker or House of Kolor
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 12:55 PM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

What are some of the higher end paint brands these days for a base/clear paint job? Is PPG still a top of the line paint?

Thanks!

I believe Sikkens is one of the top brands, above PPG and Dupont. web page
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 05:57 PM

ATTENTION - I AM HIJACKING THIS POST.

There, okay what about acrylic enamel? Whose at the top of the heap there?

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 06:07 PM

Quote:

ATTENTION - I AM HIJACKING THIS POST.

There, okay what about acrylic enamel? Whose at the top of the heap there?

For Acrylic enamel/single stage to emulate a factory finish, as well as good color match Alts, (although ANY paint can be made to match a desired color/shade) Dupont Centari is about as good as it gets in my opinion

mike
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 06:50 PM

Standox...
Posted By: 8trackbee

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 07:26 PM

Quote:

Standox...

STANDOX for me 2....

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 07:31 PM

Quote:

Standox...

Only because you live near Detroit do I mention this.

I have been in a really fancy hi tech paint training facility in Detroit owned by Akzo Nobel, they make Sikkens, Lesonal and U tech paint. They painted one of my dragsters there, they tell me they use Sikkens on some of the worlds most expensive cars at the factory's.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 07:33 PM

My Challenger was painted with Spies Hecker.

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 07:44 PM

I can only go by personal experience regarding Standox...

We went through many color chips trying to find a 'correct' match for that ugly Chrysler purple...

Standox nailed-it...

Holding-up well after 20+ years...

I'll endorse it...

(And this)...

'Standox® has more OEM approvals than any other automotive coatings supplier in the world, which is the ultimate stamp of quality.'

Acura
Audi
BMW
Chrysler
Fiat / Alfa (Group)
Ford
General Motors
Honda
Infiniti
Jaguar
Lexus
Mazda
Mercedes
Mini
Opal
Porsche
Renault
Seat
Skoda
Smart
Toyota
Vauxhall
VW
Volvo
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 08:16 PM

Sikkens and then Spies Hecker. You have to really know what you are doing to be successful with Sikkens, but if you do there is none better......

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 09:08 PM

The Sikkens chip we looked at wasn't even close to a match...

Anybody out there is free to choose whatever product they like...

We wanted a top-shelf product, and were after longevity...

It was pricey, it was worth the effort, it has withstood the test of time, and their reputation speaks for itself...

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 09:16 PM

All very good choices for top of the line paints listed so far.....but the OP hasn't given a dollar figure he has in mind just for product alone, if he hasn't purchased paint ever, or product in some time, he's in for a shock, I have no issues dropping $500 to $1000 for a gallon of color, and another $3-$500 for clear on a high end paint product, it is what it is...but for some, the dollar amount decides the "quality" of paint....generally I refuse to paint a customers car with inferior grade economy lines offered by many of the current paint mfg's

So A34 is a $ fiqure part of your paint selection?, I know we all want the best bang for our buck, but we all have to pay the piper at some point

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

but we all have to pay the piper at some point

This is true...

20 years ago, when we painted this car, the material cost was $2500.00...

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 09:35 PM

Quote:

The Sikkens chip we looked at wasn't even close to a match...

The problem with color chips, color eye, color keys, computer mix formulas, that yesteryear and more so today, is that the paint mfg's have streamlined the color ALTs to an extreme minimum, and at some cases, just one formula code/mix, ANY color or Mfg's paint can be made to match the desired color/hue/tint/etc....picking paint based on a "chip" is just the beginning, for some it's the end all to their paint quest, so many times I have a customer tell me their "paint guy" says no mix/formula for a certain color, or they buy their own paint believing it's an exact match, because the chip is so close (usually out of a 30 year old book), or the computer says it's right....I've gone to great lengths to get color matches at times, only to have the guy mixing it, FUBAR it....or supplied paint for a customers project that another painter is going to use, only to find out he changed the primer shade value on the car, which can result in a profound effect on the finished color at times depending on the paint, and color in question....so intial color/chip matching means nothing if the entire painting process to achieve a "match" isn't followed and this means right up to the tech applying the paint and his/her technique(s) employed

Mike

Attached picture 8182358-ppgcolorkeys.JPG

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 09:52 PM

Quote:

color/chip matching means nothing if the entire painting process to achieve a "match" isn't followed and this means right up to the tech applying the paint and his/her technique(s) employed

You bring up valid points...

I worked 'mixing paint' in the past...

Many are the variables...

I am basing my observation on what we saw come out of the gun on our 'sample' if you will, from Sikkens...

And from some cars I've seen in these parts sprayed FC-7 using Sikkens...

Not even close...

Could the formula from Sikkens be tweaked???

Perhaps...

All I'm saying is the formula from Standox was dead-nuts as far as a match for what we were looking for...

A formula I still have recorded to this day...

Your results may vary...

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/20/14 11:39 PM

Quote:

All very good choices for top of the line paints listed so far.....but the OP hasn't given a dollar figure he has in mind just for product alone, if he hasn't purchased paint ever, or product in some time, he's in for a shock, I have no issues dropping $500 to $1000 for a gallon of color, and another $3-$500 for clear on a high end paint product, it is what it is...but for some, the dollar amount decides the "quality" of paint....generally I refuse to paint a customers car with inferior grade economy lines offered by many of the current paint mfg's

So A34 is a $ fiqure part of your paint selection?, I know we all want the best bang for our buck, but we all have to pay the piper at some point

Mike

Good question and point. My paint guy originally said he would use Glasurit, now he wants to use PPG. Ultimately, he said he'd use whatever I want. I'm trying to understand the rankings of quality. I want something that will give the longest lasting shine. I hope I never have to paint it again in my lifetime. So, for the next 40+ years what will stand the test of time?

Budget? Like most resto's I'm way over budget as is. What's another Grand? $500 to $1000 for paint is ok with me.
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/21/14 01:05 AM

This car was painted last weekend with Lesonal... My buddy that painted it said it was some of the best paint he has ever sprayed.. It is gy2 curious yellow, but looks more green inside his flourescent lighted shop. Kevin

Attached picture 8182565-phone053.jpg

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/21/14 01:10 AM

Quote:

I hope I never have to paint it again in my lifetime. So, for the next 40+ years what will stand the test of time?

Good luck with that...

Much has changed since we laid down some Standox color...

'Water Bourne'...The absence of lead...

I hear some OEM is only looking for 7 years now...

My advice would be to research as much as you can...

You already know who gets my vote...

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/21/14 01:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Good question and point. My paint guy originally said he would use Glasurit, now he wants to use PPG. Ultimately, he said he'd use whatever I want. I'm trying to understand the rankings of quality. I want something that will give the longest lasting shine. I hope I never have to paint it again in my lifetime. So, for the next 40+ years what will stand the test of time?

Budget? Like most resto's I'm way over budget as is. What's another Grand? $500 to $1000 for paint is ok with me.

If the choice for you is Glasurit or PPG, ...I wouldn't hesitate to use Glasurit, IMHO PPG's line has always been sub-par as far as a quality/lasting product, esp for a vehicle you value, and plan on retaining...I only believe in restoring and painting a vehicle ONCE, unless there's been a accident/incident involving the vehicles finish, one should expect the finish to outlast them, the same goes for bodywork/rust prevention

FYI Glasurit has a very good color matching system offering up to 4/5 Alts in some colors, very heavy in solids, I hope your painter has shot it before? if going Glasurit, make sure it's the 55 line which is BC/CC, avoid Glasurit's RM or Limco line, that's the cheap "production" stuff (bodyshop blow out crap)...

Mike
Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/21/14 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

My friend is the Sikkens rep for this area and painted my car. We mistakenly painted the inspection covers in the engine bay gloss black. He told me to take them home and cabinet blast them and bring them back to be painted semi gloss. My cabinet blaster would not touch that paint! That and the number of "best paint" awards and "best of show" awards that the car has racked up due to the paint, makes me a Sikkens man all the way

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/21/14 11:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

My friend is the Sikkens rep for this area and painted my car. We mistakenly painted the inspection covers in the engine bay gloss black. He told me to take them home and cabinet blast them and bring them back to be painted semi gloss. My cabinet blaster would not touch that paint! That and the number of "best paint" awards and "best of show" awards that the car has racked up due to the paint, makes me a Sikkens man all the way

I represented them for 3 years, I was told Sikkens is used on like Mercedes, BMW and other hi end European cars, Lesonal is for like chevys, fords and mopars and U tech is for like farm implements.
This car is painted with Sikkens and is the nicest paint I have ever seen. It was not buffed or sanded. The panels were carried out of the paint booth and out to my trailer and put on the car at Axzo Nobel.
The guy in the black shirt is Tom Conway, he helped me tune my car. I have 6 guys on my team not counting Tom. Mike my crew chief is getting ready to turn on the racepak as soon as I put it into the first set of light beams.(pre stage)
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/23/14 02:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

I have been using PPG for over 40 years and never had any problems with it lasting, looking great and having the correct formulas for the original colors on Mopars. I have restored and/or painted more than 20 National show winning and magazine featured Mopars all with PPG. Here is a shot of my vert I painted over almost 20 years ago. I still have everyone go nuts over the paint at car shows today. You will have no problems with the results of the top of the line PPG paint.

Attached picture 8185013-RoadRunnervert010.jpg

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/23/14 09:32 PM

Much appreciated fellas. Since the painters name and reputation will be on the line, we'll discuss and I'll let him ultimately decide what he's comfortable with.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/23/14 10:58 PM

I use dupont chromabase on almost everything now... mixed 1 to 1, a gallon will do a car in and out. Been using it and dupont clear for years. I used to use ppg, too expensive and not any better in my opinion than dupont.
Posted By: FuryBoy

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/25/14 02:45 AM

We use RM. 5335 clear. It sprays very nice, better tha. The Sikkens auto clear III we use to use. I believe it's right in the same ball park price wise.

The RM is very similar to the Glasurit products. I talked to a BASF rep at a trade show and he said he would personally not pay the extra money for the Glasurit over the RM.

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/25/14 04:03 PM

Quote:

The RM is very similar to the Glasurit products. I talked to a BASF rep at a trade show and he said he would personally not pay the extra money for the Glasurit over the RM.

RM and Limco are Glasurits "base brands", much like OMNI or Nason is for others, fine if your looking to save some dollars, and are going to blow the car out down the road, but for a person ride I rather invest in the top end product as the solids and binders are in higher mix concentration, or quality

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/25/14 05:56 PM

Quote:

I use dupont chromabase on almost everything now... mixed 1 to 1, a gallon will do a car in and out. Been using it and dupont clear for years. I used to use ppg, too expensive and not any better in my opinion than dupont.

Guy I know had his high dollar 71 curious yellow GTX painted using Dupont instead of PPG who has the orignial formulas for the colors.
Guess what...... WRONG color and now he has to live with it at every show, so much that he quit showing the car. He wishes now he would have spent the money for that too expensive paint.

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/25/14 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Guy I know had his high dollar 71 curious yellow GTX painted using Dupont instead of PPG who has the orignial formulas for the colors.
Guess what...... WRONG color and now he has to live with it at every show, so much that he quit showing the car. He wishes now he would have spent the money for that too expensive paint.

Yes Curious Yellow is difficult to achieve in Dupont Chroma Base/Preimier, it can be done, but only thru the color keys as I've done this in the past for an exact match in the Dupont line, as the computer formula has been main lined by combining the ALTs available into one formula, this can happen with any paint mfg, mixer/painter, or John Q Public walking into a paint shop/body shop uninformed

I've seen a guy paint his car in PPG PlumCrazy, he jambed the whole car first, and being the typical "frugal" Mopar guy only bought what he needed for jambing, when the time came for the final body, he went back to the same Authorized PPG paint store, same mixer....guess what it was like night/day between the PPG color matches, the car looked like crap...back to basics again, this can happen to anyone, and any paint mfg,....like I've said before there's no magical paint formula or brand that guarantees a true match 100% of the time, there's to many variables, esp today with computer mix formulas being dumbed down for the paint mixers

We all have our preferred brands that we learned/trained with, some have blinders and a feed bucket attached when looking at paint choices, myself I've been painting/airbrushing vehicles for close to 4 decades, I've used just about everything out there in the way of color/technique, I'm always open to learning about new techniques/products....but I do find it comical to hear the posts that brand X is the best because of this/that, OEM use, etc, etc...and the "best" paint and best paint "match" in the world means squat if the prep is crap, and/or the value shade/primer base is inappropriate for the color chosen...

Mike
Posted By: azblackhemi

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/25/14 10:03 PM

Regardless of which brand you use it is ALWAYS a good idea to have a small sample made up first. Do a spray out with it and look at it in all different lights. Compare it to other cars that color if you can. If it's not right your paint guy should be able to tint it to what you want. This should be done before you spend $1200 - $2500 on the wrong color.

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/25/14 10:12 PM

Quote:

Regardless of which brand you use it is ALWAYS a good idea to have a small sample made up first. Do a spray out with it and look at it in all different lights. Compare it to other cars that color if you can. If it's not right your paint guy should be able to tint it to what you want. This should be done before you spend $1200 - $2500 on the wrong color.

Excellent advice! I forgot about that!
Posted By: DeMopuar

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/26/14 06:24 PM

Glasurit is the king of the hill as far as paints go. As I understand it, Sikkens is close behind.

No one has said the obvious, but all this expensive paint won't look good unless the painter knows how to use it. Prep, prep, prep, prep, and more prep....... Oh, and never just buy enough. Buy one or two gallons more than you think you will need -- and buy all your gallons at the same time, don't go back later, that's a bad plan. But before you go hog wild on buying gallons of paint, make sure you do some spray outs with quarts to make sure the color is there where you want it. Don't ask me why I know this........... Your wallet will cry, but you will cry harder later if you don't have extra for later. Same goes for the other paint chemicals. Should have some unopened cans so you can mix it all up later. Just because you can buy the stuff now doesn't mean you will be able to in the future.

Best of luck on your project!!!!!

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/26/14 07:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And there's no guarantee that ppg would have been correct either if it was mixed wrong... so sounds like the painter or who mixed it is to blame, not dupont!

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/26/14 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And there's no guarantee that ppg would have been correct either if it was mixed wrong... so sounds like the painter or who mixed it is to blame, not dupont!

Why would the PPG supplier who has the correct formulas and equipment mix it wrong? The chances of that are 1000 to 1.

The dupont system does not have the correct color formulas for these cars like PPG has. So it is your choice. Guess at the color with Dupont and let them try to match the paint on an old part of the car or try to pick the correct yellow off a Dupont paint chart. There isn't one on their charts for curious yellow.

OR just get the correct color from PPG?????? I don't care who's paint YOU use, but without any doubt PPG has the color formulas that are correct for these cars. They were the original paint supplier.So at least you are starting out with the correct color.

The painter didn't mix it the Dupont supplier did with out the original formula. That's why it was wrong.

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why would the PPG supplier who has the correct formulas and equipment mix it wrong? The chances of that are 1000 to 1.

The dupont system does not have the correct color formulas for these cars like PPG has. So it is your choice. Guess at the color with Dupont and let them try to match the paint on an old part of the car or try to pick the correct yellow off a Dupont paint chart. There isn't one on their charts for curious yellow.

OR just get the correct color from PPG?????? I don't care who's paint YOU use, but without any doubt PPG has the color formulas that are correct for these cars. They were the original paint supplier.So at least you are starting out with the correct color.

The painter didn't mix it the Dupont supplier did with out the original formula. That's why it was wrong.

\

And like I said, "or who mixed it is to blame" There have been colors I haven't been able to get, I don't have them guess and mix it, hoping it's the right color. So it's duponts fault someone screwed up mixing it? You can't blame a whole line for one persons mistake

I have used PPG, I never said it's bad paint... I said it's too expensive. Doesn't mean I won't use it, but I try to avoid it when possible. And having used both many times, I see no advantage other than sometimes the color does match better, but not always.
Posted By: 1ol74charger4me

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 02:07 AM

Interesting thread and it looks like everything has been said but nobody brought up the fact that the PPG toners to mix the paint have been changed over the years. Metallics are made different, toners are thinner, some have been superceded, no lead content, all kinds of EPA and cost based changes so an exact match is still a process of experience and time even if the formula exists.
Just to throw this out there, but I worked in a shop that used PPG and we tinted every job that came through that first year I was there. After switching to Standox, over the next 4 years we tinted 4 jobs and every day I had to listen to the owner gripe that he wished he had stuck with PPG. He just could not reconcile the fact that it was sold in liters and not gallons, so he swore it was too expensive. Anybody ever made money on a redo? Me neither. My Charger will be Sikkens because I mixed up a couple of free gallons before we changed out the toner bank for this waterbased stuff! I have a survivor type 74 Charger in G8 Dark Sherwood Green and Sikkens was dead on. I blended the end of one fender and about 200 years of experience couldn't tell where I stopped. That's just one color though. And would everybody PLEASE include the paint type and formula for your car in the sale so that the poor sob that has to touch it up later has a starting point to work with! It would just make life easier for us that do this everyday.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 02:12 AM

Quote:

And would everybody PLEASE include the paint type and formula for your car in the sale so that the poor sob that has to touch it up later has a starting point to work with! It would just make life easier for us that do this everyday.

Novel idea!! I don't think anyone keeps that.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 02:50 AM

Quote:

Oh, and never just buy enough. Buy one or two gallons more than you think you will need

are you painting cars or buses?

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 03:00 AM

Like I already mentioned, that's another reason I like chromabase, by the time you buy 2 quarts, it's not much more to just get a gallon. Which means I have 2 gallons I can spray

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

And like I said, "or who mixed it is to blame" There have been colors I haven't been able to get, I don't have them guess and mix it, hoping it's the right color. So it's duponts fault someone screwed up mixing it? You can't blame a whole line for one persons mistake

I have used PPG, I never said it's bad paint... I said it's too expensive. Doesn't mean I won't use it, but I try to avoid it when possible. And having used both many times, I see no advantage other than sometimes the color does match better, but not always.

Like I mentioned earlier, but I guess you didn't read it?, paint formulation in the last few years while trying to comply with VOC compliance, amongst other industry regulations, plus computer formulation/programs, has become streamlined, many mix formulas no longer support chemicals long gone due to VOC, plus the elimination of ALTernate formula/tints, or combining them into one formula has changed many mix formulas thru the entire paint industry, regardless of manufacturers, I'll give you an example of your "revered" PPG "original formulas" ....you go into the PPG computer program for 1970 PPG Plum Crazy Purple PPG # 2210 in the past you had 2 ALTernate formula tints, which one was correct?....you now had 2 shade/tint formulas that tweaked the color (reason why you see so many different shades of purple at a show, or when you go back for more paint, the color is off, even though the same guy/place mixed it before)...TODAY the PPG computer mix program for FC7 PPG 2210 Plum Crazy will call up and interface the PPG paint code 5463, although it will print PPG code 2210 for the mix label, the actual formula for the base, binder, balancer, tints, flop control agents, etc, etc will be for PPG 5463, a color PPG has determined to be "close enough" for you the consumer, so much for "accuracy"...

Like I said before there's no magical mix formula, from PPG or anyone, anymore, been that way from day one, any paint mfg's paint line can be made to match...even back in the day, when all we sprayed was enamel single stage, regardless of mfg, PPG, Dupont, Ditzsler, BASF, etc, etc all had ALTernate formulas to achieve a "match" so the mixer wasn't playing chemist to achieve a match, high end body shops would mix their own paint and tint accordingly to "match", but that was more for color blending of a repair than a revered restoration color match that most like to invoke today,

you want an accurate color match?, regardless of the paint mfg, you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....otherwise you stuck researching the color needed from the mfg you desire....going to the "original" OEM supplier is no guarantee of a color formula that is correct....back in the day, and even today the auto mfg's buy paint in vast bulk, do you think every vehicle produced week after week, month after month in the "same" color is the same EXACT shade of paint sprayed?...certainly not

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....

Which is exactly what we did...

We used the floorpan as a reference...

The Standox formulation nailed-it...

The end-result nailed-it...

FC-7 is one of the worst to try and match...

I've looked at a ton of 'original paint' FC-7 survivors over the years...

There's too many uncertainties about this color...

Many OE 'purple' Dodges I've looked at seem darker than a lot of the OE 'purple' Plymouths...

After all these years, a match to the car is probably as good as it gets...

If you can't use an unblemished area of the car as a reference, yer flyin' blind...

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....

Which is exactly what we did...

We used the floorpan as a reference...

The Standox formulation nailed-it...

The end-result nailed-it...

Many OE 'purple' Dodges I've looked at seem darker than a lot of the OE 'purple' Plymouths...

After all these years, a match to the car is probably as good as it gets...

If you can't use an unblemished area of the car as a reference, yer flyin' blind...

Agreed,...and that's only the starting point, then there's the primer base/shade value, coverage/overlap at painting time/spray outs to still achieve and maintain the match desired, plus a hundred other variables all effect the actual out come....just that today's resto crowd thinks the "original" factory colors and OEM paint suppliers are somehow revered to have been infallible, every car in the same color was EXACT year after year, plant after plant, as if "robots" were mixing and spraying the paint....human error/intervention never played a part

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 04:46 AM

Quote:

Many OE 'purple' Dodges I've looked at seem darker than a lot of the OE 'purple' Plymouths..

Shhhh now you've opened Pandora's box, according to some "experts" that's not true

The Mopar resto crowd is still fixated with the letters "PPG" as their "go to" for paint matching/selection, paint ALTernate formulas and the their uses between Dodge and Plymouth to differentiate the same color haven't come to fruition for the majority of the resto crowd as of yet....you've obviously seen the facts thru your research, but sadly it often falls on deaf ears, or those of the "blinder/feed bucket" mentality

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 07:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

Like I mentioned earlier, but I guess you didn't read it?, paint formulation in the last few years while trying to comply with VOC compliance, amongst other industry regulations, plus computer formulation/programs, has become streamlined, many mix formulas no longer support chemicals long gone due to VOC, plus the elimination of ALTernate formula/tints, or combining them into one formula has changed many mix formulas thru the entire paint industry, regardless of manufacturers, I'll give you an example of your "revered" PPG "original formulas" ....you go into the PPG computer program for 1970 PPG Plum Crazy Purple PPG # 2210 in the past you had 2 ALTernate formula tints, which one was correct?....you now had 2 shade/tint formulas that tweaked the color (reason why you see so many different shades of purple at a show, or when you go back for more paint, the color is off, even though the same guy/place mixed it before)...TODAY the PPG computer mix program for FC7 PPG 2210 Plum Crazy will call up and interface the PPG paint code 5463, although it will print PPG code 2210 for the mix label, the actual formula for the base, binder, balancer, tints, flop control agents, etc, etc will be for PPG 5463, a color PPG has determined to be "close enough" for you the consumer, so much for "accuracy"...

Like I said before there's no magical mix formula, from PPG or anyone, anymore, been that way from day one, any paint mfg's paint line can be made to match...even back in the day, when all we sprayed was enamel single stage, regardless of mfg, PPG, Dupont, Ditzsler, BASF, etc, etc all had ALTernate formulas to achieve a "match" so the mixer wasn't playing chemist to achieve a match, high end body shops would mix their own paint and tint accordingly to "match", but that was more for color blending of a repair than a revered restoration color match that most like to invoke today,

you want an accurate color match?, regardless of the paint mfg, you need a clean undisturbed area/component from the vehicle if you have it that hasn't been effected by degradation ....otherwise you stuck researching the color needed from the mfg you desire....going to the "original" OEM supplier is no guarantee of a color formula that is correct....back in the day, and even today the auto mfg's buy paint in vast bulk, do you think every vehicle produced week after week, month after month in the "same" color is the same EXACT shade of paint sprayed?...certainly not

Mike

You don't need to explain it to me... I'm well aware already. I recall a few colors I've sprayed having over 10 variations Nothing like having options! My point was you can't blame a line of paint, one being dupont from the poster above about the color being wrong... they didn't mix it in the incorrect shade at the factory. Someone else mixed the paint, then someone else proceeded to paint a car the wrong shade. Then they apparently proceeded to assemble and finish the car in the wrong shade... color was so off though, but they didn't catch it til done

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 03:53 PM

You don't need to explain it to me... I'm well aware already. I recall a few colors I've sprayed having over 10 variations Nothing like having options! My point was you can't blame a line of paint, one being dupont from the poster above about the color being wrong... they didn't mix it in the incorrect shade at the factory. Someone else mixed the paint, then someone else proceeded to paint a car the wrong shade. Then they apparently proceeded to assemble and finish the car in the wrong shade... color was so off though, but they didn't catch it til done

Joe, my post wasn't directed towards you, your quotes were just caught up in the prior postings

Mike

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 06/27/14 04:08 PM

Quote:

Joe, my post wasn't directed towards you, your quotes were just caught up in the prior postings

Mike

Posted By: MUSLCA

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 07/05/14 05:06 AM

PPG for me......

Attached picture 8198017-012.JPG
Posted By: MUSLCA

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 07/05/14 05:09 AM

GY3

Attached picture 8198024-076.JPG

Re: Question on high-end paint brands - 07/07/14 02:48 PM

Who dead on! Imagine that.

I can't believe you didn't search all over the car for a 40+ year old paint swatch, that even if it was not in the elements, darkened over the years at least 4 shades. Then try to get some kind of shot with the light sensitive electronic wonder wand to get the just kind of the right shade. Then go to Dupont or any other high end paint company and get them to guess at the shade from their color chip books or the reading from the wonder wand. Then shoot 10 spray out panels trying to subjectively eye match the shade.

No you just went to PPG, got the correct paint, shot your car and BAM! It looks fabulous and NO ONE can dispute whether the color is correct or not. But Dude it is base coat clear coat, with all new kinds of VOCs or ABCs. Man what were you thinking????

I love it and it looks great! Love you car! Nuff said!
© 2024 Moparts Forums