Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: holtzdog55] #160997
12/20/08 01:58 PM
12/20/08 01:58 PM
Manistee, Michigan.
High Impact Offline
pro stock
High Impact  Offline
pro stock

Manistee, Michigan.

my problem is the guys I get to work on it either do really lousy work that has to be redone by another or that it takes too long to get the work done.....is there anyone out there that will work for a fair price? get the job done in a timely manner? and do a good job....dont need show quality job just a GOOD DRIVER QUALITY CAR when completed.....

I too have the same problem. I have a really nice 68 Charger RT that has been to THREE diffrent body men, One was really fair and did great work but ended up really sick and the doctors told him his body work days were done! So, it went to the next guy that had it about two weeks and said "SORRY, I dont have time for your car! Again, go get the car and take it to another guy who has it like three months at $1000.00 a month and says he's done. I go to get it and its only in primer and the lines are soooooooo wavey!! I just about cried!! SO, now it sits in the corner of the shop collecting dust waiting for decent respectable guy to fix the F-UP's of the other guys and what make me sick is the $3000.00 I gave the last guy to have everything he did get stripped off to start all over!

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: High Impact] #160998
12/20/08 02:13 PM
12/20/08 02:13 PM
Fairfield, Ohio
holtzdog55 Offline
mopar
holtzdog55  Offline
mopar

Fairfield, Ohio
Quote:

my problem is the guys I get to work on it either do really lousy work that has to be redone by another or that it takes too long to get the work done.....is there anyone out there that will work for a fair price? get the job done in a timely manner? and do a good job....dont need show quality job just a GOOD DRIVER QUALITY CAR when completed.....

I too have the same problem. I have a really nice 68 Charger RT that has been to THREE diffrent body men, One was really fair and did great work but ended up really sick and the doctors told him his body work days were done! So, it went to the next guy that had it about two weeks and said "SORRY, I dont have time for your car! Again, go get the car and take it to another guy who has it like three months at $1000.00 a month and says he's done. I go to get it and its only in primer and the lines are soooooooo wavey!! I just about cried!! SO, now it sits in the corner of the shop collecting dust waiting for decent respectable guy to fix the F-UP's of the other guys and what make me sick is the $3000.00 I gave the last guy to have everything he did get stripped off to start all over!

Exactly...had 1 guy replace both quarters and trunk pan....he charged 2500,not including the 800 in parts!!! had it for 6 months did the work in about 2 weeks...go figure. when I inspected it more found he covered up alot of rust, quarters were not lined up and when I put the rear valence up to the rear quarters wre about a FOOT off!!!
The guy that has it now is good...dating my brothers daughter...doing it at a fair price but slow.....so it cost me the price of more parts and more labor to have it redone....I figure I am out 3500 that I have to chaulk up to learning experience!!!!

4890875-new3.jpg (20 downloads)

Finally Done....BEERS!!!
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: holtzdog55] #160999
12/20/08 02:56 PM
12/20/08 02:56 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

Quote:

IMHO the cost of a restoration is too often based on the value of the car being restored and this is just wrong! I wouldn't even consider using a shop like this! Body work is body work, paint is paint and materials are Materials! I have my guys and as long and they are doing cars they will do anything I have! Everything is the same price to them a Hemi Cuda costs no more than a 65 Mustang coupe to restore! I love them!!
KID

I have a car being restored....lost my job but still have some cash to put towards it, the car,72 Challenger(nothing special originally a 318 car), my problem is the guys I get to work on it either do really lousy work that has to be redone by another or that it takes too long to get the work done.....is there anyone out there that will work for a fair price? get the job done in a timely manner? and do a good job....dont need show quality job just a GOOD DRIVER QUALITY CAR when completed.....
What are reasonable rates to restore a NICE DRIVER 72 Challenger???

Thanks

By The Way.....car is in PA. about 30 miles from Carlisle....

read my signature

I can also pick up and deliver, so you won't have to worry about finding transporting services

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: holtzdog55] #161000
12/20/08 11:16 PM
12/20/08 11:16 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly...had 1 guy replace both quarters and trunk pan....he charged 2500,not including the 800 in parts!!! had it for 6 months did the work in about 2 weeks...go figure. when I inspected it more found he covered up alot of rust, quarters were not lined up and when I put the rear valence up to the rear quarters wre about a FOOT off!!!
The guy that has it now is good...dating my brothers daughter...doing it at a fair price but slow.....so it cost me the price of more parts and more labor to have it redone....I figure I am out 3500 that I have to chaulk up to learning experience!!!!

We have a '68 Charger R/T in the shop right now. It was also "fixed" and painted by two others prior to coming here. We have had to completely strip it back to bare steel and redo metal and filler work and replace complete panels that should not have been saved before. This is the fourth car in two years that we have inherited from others. Some of the things I've uncovered are an insult to reputable restoration shops. We photograph every step of our work, along with the prior bad repairs that we uncover. To avoid these pitfalls, my advise is to research the shops you consider and ask for references. If at all possible visit the shops and look over cars in progress. Ask lots of questions and insist on photo documentation of repairs. At our shop customers are encouraged to drop in to see what they are paying for.
Bottom line is pay for quality work the first time. The "deals" are always a compromise in quality. Why pay twice to get one good job?

Steve

www.clarkclassic.com

4891947-100_4431a.jpg (24 downloads)
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: Mike Mancini] #161001
12/29/11 09:00 PM
12/29/11 09:00 PM
NYC
M
MRVCODE Offline
top fuel
MRVCODE  Offline
top fuel
M

NYC
Quote:

If you're any good, you are jammed through thick and thin.

I am not dropping my prices, booked solid.

Mike Mancini

What is your hourly rate?

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: A0M397X] #161002
12/29/11 10:25 PM
12/29/11 10:25 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
Quote:

This guy is dead on. The bad times haven't even started yet. Wait till spring/summer 2009 and lets see how busy everybody is. Restoring cars is a discretionary expense and when things really start to crash, restorations will be the last thing on most peoples minds.

Uh, spring/summer when? Serious question, not trying to be a wise guy.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: 6PakBee] #161003
12/30/11 01:07 PM
12/30/11 01:07 PM
midwest
68427vette Offline
top fuel
68427vette  Offline
top fuel

midwest
The haves still have. The haves some have a little less and the have nots still have not.

is STILL TRUE,!!!

the hot rod shop i sandblast for is still cranking!!! and there are some Silly cars in there also,, like mid 70's cars!! getting full resto's now thats flushing your money down the drain!! oh, well maybe someone got lucky in that car?? a 74 camaro??
they also have a warehouse full of cars in line!!! they have about 10 finsihed paint, 4 ready for paint, 10 getting work(metal done) etc

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: 68427vette] #161004
12/30/11 08:10 PM
12/30/11 08:10 PM
ILLinois
DartGTS Offline
super street
DartGTS  Offline
super street

ILLinois
Hello:
The old saying "How much does it cost" comes to mind here. Yes good really good restoration is very expensive. But think what your asking these
guys to do..Take a 45 year old car that is probaly only half there and make it look like the factory made it a hour ago??
First make sure what you want there is a world of difference in a daily driver and a 100 point show car. Both in the cars and the perception of builder and owner.
Decide if putting money into that paticular car is even feasible. I recently seen a 57 Chevy get a beautiful make up job on the exterior....while the owner left the entire under carrage and engine and bay untouched despite good advice from experts..complete with grease and rust...The shop rightfully charged their fees....and the owner ended up paying more than if he had bought a good car finished and ready to show.
If you think your going to increase the cars value and make a profit. Good Luck unless its a super rare car that you can get on Barette Jackson
your dreaming. If it was that easy the Resto shops would be doing that instead of working on yours.
Finally leave the stuff you can't do to the pros
don't attempt something, only to screw it up and have to pay someone to fix your mistake and then restore it right.
Expensive yes it is but if you layout a plan of action, shop around, ask questions of owners that have had cars done, how long did it take? what was done excatly? could you see the progress yourself? what other cars has the shop done?
Beware of the guy that says "Oh yeah I can do that cost you $ XXXXXX and be done in 3 weeks.
If you come across this guy run.

Maynard

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: DartGTS] #161005
12/30/11 08:37 PM
12/30/11 08:37 PM
Southeast PA
5wndwcpe Offline
pro stock
5wndwcpe  Offline
pro stock

Southeast PA
Quote:

Hello:
The old saying "How much does it cost" comes to mind here. Yes good really good restoration is very expensive. But think what your asking these
guys to do..Take a 45 year old car that is probaly only half there and make it look like the factory made it a hour ago??
First make sure what you want there is a world of difference in a daily driver and a 100 point show car. Both in the cars and the perception of builder and owner.
Decide if putting money into that paticular car is even feasible. I recently seen a 57 Chevy get a beautiful make up job on the exterior....while the owner left the entire under carrage and engine and bay untouched despite good advice from experts..complete with grease and rust...The shop rightfully charged their fees....and the owner ended up paying more than if he had bought a good car finished and ready to show.
If you think your going to increase the cars value and make a profit. Good Luck unless its a super rare car that you can get on Barette Jackson
your dreaming. If it was that easy the Resto shops would be doing that instead of working on yours.
don't attempt something, only to screw it up and have to pay someone to fix your mistake and then restore it right.
Expensive yes it is but if you layout a plan of action, shop around, ask questions of owners that have had cars done, how long did it take? what was done excatly? could you see the progress yourself? what other cars has the shop done?
Beware of the guy that says "Oh yeah I can do that cost you $ XXXXXX and be done in 3 weeks.

Maynard

Sage advice

1968 GTX hardtop
1968 Sport Satellite Convertible 383/4spd
1933 Plymouth coupe
2002 Ram 2500 oil burner 4x4
2015 Grand Cherokee
2013 Challenger
1957 Chrysler Saratoga

Man...I need a bigger freakin' garage.
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: 5wndwcpe] #161006
12/31/11 10:34 PM
12/31/11 10:34 PM
weymouth,mass.
M
meepmeep70 Offline
master
meepmeep70  Offline
master
M

weymouth,mass.
Quote:

Quote:

Hello:

Maynard

Sage advice

my body guy,doesn't even want his last name told,everybody in the hobby can tell "thats a Blair/Chuck paint job isn't it?" it is that perfect,took me years,from 2003 to last year to finish,guys only do restoration,picks up my car,asks what i had for aval.$ to spend,called when that was gone,brought car back home so i could save more,took three trips,couldn't be happier. Threw in lots of disposable camaras for guys to take what ever pics they could,got awesome step by step pics.you pay for what you get,down in prices??? not if you do quality work,my guy is booked solid,months to get in.thank you Blair and Chuck

6994748-runnerhull.jpg (24 downloads)
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: meepmeep70] #161007
12/31/11 11:21 PM
12/31/11 11:21 PM
Oregon
M
moparmedic Offline
super stock
moparmedic  Offline
super stock
M

Oregon
Quote:

There isn't anything wrong with trying something yourself. How else will you ever learn anything.
There is very little that can't be fixed if you mess it up anyway..

1968 Coronet
1968 Charger
1966 A100 Pickup
1967 Barracuda
1970 Challenger
1972 Challenger
1973 Barracuda
2021 Ram 2500
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: moparmedic] #161008
01/01/12 12:34 AM
01/01/12 12:34 AM
ILLinois
DartGTS Offline
super street
DartGTS  Offline
super street

ILLinois
Hello:

Quote:

There isn't anything wrong with trying something yourself. How else will you ever learn anything.
There is very little that can't be fixed if you mess it up anyway..

Usually I would agreed on that statement but we are talking restoration of vintage cars with parts that can not be easily replaced.
A run of the mill non rare driver go for it. But be prepared to pay a pro more to repair the damage.
Example of a rare part was the radiator on my 67 GTS which was damaged in a collision. The factory made one radiator with special part number for each big block car. There were no extras in NOS. I would never attempt to do anything to that radiator. Fortunley a very good Pro put it back to the point where there is no visable damage.
It's your car and your money if it costs you more than it should, you hold the money, think twice.

Maynard

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: A34] #161009
01/01/12 04:57 PM
01/01/12 04:57 PM
Regina, SK, Canada
charger Offline
mopar
charger  Offline
mopar

Regina, SK, Canada
anyone else notice that this post was ressurected after almost exactly 2 years of inactivity? I would be interesting to see if some of the predictions back then have held firm....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3