Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
My stock oil pan on 70 Challenger Six Pack, 440 Source 512 inch stroker developed a metal fatigue crack,,,bad story. Purchased a Milodon Road Race(31580) pan, correct oil pickup(corrected to 18328,,I had originally in error said 18326)billet oil pump(21814), and pump drive bronze gear shaft(21525).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-31580/overview/

Have measured for clearance and mounted oil pickup. Am a bit uncertain as to where the pickup nozzle should be in relation to crankshaft center line,,,,off to either side of dead center, or dead center?

In attempting to install pan, I do get the pickup nozzle started into the back most square hole in the pan. But am unable to push the pan all the way up toward the block and forward enough to allow the back of the pan to clear the flywheel(approximately 1/4 inch). The hang up appears to be the tube of the oil pick up where it curves up from the pickup nozzle itself.

Is there some secret to this Chinese puzzle that I'm missing. I have tried rotating the engine so as to offer more clearance at the front of the pan,,,however do not think this is the problem.

Have decided against windage tray for now as I wish to use no sealer or silicone. Additionally have read online and been told by a friend that has a 490 Cuda stroker that windage tray must be notched for pickup,,,,,as well as a notch to be made in K member. I feel all of this is too much to pay for a few more suspect horsepower. Would prefer to run a bit low on oil if push comes to shove.

Are there suggestions as to proper dipstick to use?

Engine has Edie heads, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Roller Hydraulic, Scorpian lifters, Bee Hive springs, and Passon 4speed transmission. Just a good street car, believe my dragstrip days are behind me,,,,but am off to Spring Fling in a couple of weeks, and Goodguys Pleasanton next weekend.

Thank you

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 03/23/14 08:32 PM.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597520
03/23/14 07:23 PM
03/23/14 07:23 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
I had to trim the k-frame slightly to get it to fit. In the area of the front corners of the pan. It was hitting the corners of the motor mount gussets.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597521
03/23/14 07:26 PM
03/23/14 07:26 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Have decided against windage tray for now as I wish to use no sealer or silicone. Additionally have read online and been told by a friend that has a 490 Cuda stroker that windage tray must be notched for pickup,,,,,as well as a notch to be made in K member.

Hmm, no need to notch the K member to run a windage tray and no need for sealer or silicone just because you have a windage tray either.

Does the pan fit properly without the pick up installed? This being a stroker kit and Milodon makes no mention of any issues, test fit it.

The Milodon site gives that pan number as being a circle track pan and the part number for the pickups do not match your part number.

http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/circle-track-ford-chrys.asp

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Supercuda] #1597522
03/23/14 08:18 PM
03/23/14 08:18 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
That is a road race pan (also listed as a circle track pan) but the pickup you need is 18328 for the stock 3/8" pipe thread or 18338 for the 1/2"

http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Supercuda] #1597523
03/23/14 08:30 PM
03/23/14 08:30 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Quote:

Quote:

Have decided against windage tray for now as I wish to use no sealer or silicone. Additionally have read online and been told by a friend that has a 490 Cuda stroker that windage tray must be notched for pickup,,,,,as well as a notch to be made in K member.

Hmm, no need to notch the K member to run a windage tray and no need for sealer or silicone just because you have a windage tray either.

Does the pan fit properly without the pick up installed? This being a stroker kit and Milodon makes no mention of any issues, test fit it.

The Milodon site gives that pan number as being a circle track pan and the part number for the pickups do not match your part number.

This oil pickup on my original post was in error,,,I had said it was 18326,,, shoulda said 18328. I will edit/correct this. Thanks for the good eye,,,I do have 18328 which is correct.

I did get the pan in place by tightening the pickup a few more degrees clockwise(toward passenger side),,,now is about 5 pm right of crank centerline instead of 6 pm. This gave me the room that I needed to clear flywheel.

But of course with the geometry of the pickup, this likely lifted the nozzle a bit more off the pan floor,,,had about 5/16ths before moving it a bit,,,,now perhaps I will have full suggested 3/8ths,,,,perhaps will drop pan and measure again. Likely close enough for government work however.

By the way. Thank you Milodon for saving yourselves a buck by not enclosing a required 1/2 inch plug to fill the drilled and tapped hole in the side of the pan sump for the oil temp gauge which I don't have,,,,took me an hour trip to run one down,,,plus a 15 minute chat with Summit while they figured out what this hole was for,,,,so anyone ordering this pan,,,,don't forget that you too may need one.

Be aware that you will not be able to use your torque wrench on those pan bolts that reside above the widened sump on either side of this pan,,,,I firmly suspect that many gasket leaking can be attributed to just cinching these bolts by feel. With compressible gaskets,,,you may think that you are at required 15 pounds,,,but when you check further with a torque wrench, you are likely closer to 5 to 10',,,,we are all paranoid to twist off a bolt,,,,,,also use lock washers,,,locktite is almost worthless in this oily environment,,,,particularly with ARP stainless bolts and their non locking flat washers. Don!t ask how I know, but to cut the story short, I have spoken at length with locktite(a very bright lady there) and to ARP,,,where there tech short answer was to tighten their bolts to 24 pounds,,,,can we guess what this does to a pan gasket getting squosed out,,,not to mention the likely destruction of most pan flanges.

I plan some more research on k frame notching. Seems to be a bit of mixed opinions out there,,,,just as with silicone sealers, windage trays and then too rear main seals. Recently installed Mancini/440 source billet solution. Yet to determine how this has worked out,,,,but so far looks far better than other solutions,,,,just got to get this pan problem(again bad story) put to bed first

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Supercuda] #1597524
03/23/14 09:02 PM
03/23/14 09:02 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

You don't need to "notch" the k-frame just trim off on a 45 deg angle in 2 spots the gussets/tabs/brackets for the motor mounts. Very minor, nothing serious. Hard to explain with out a picture.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597525
03/23/14 09:53 PM
03/23/14 09:53 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Are you trying to install the pan with the engine in the car? If so, good luck. That pan is tough enough to install with the engine mounted on a stand.

The SB version is really tough. Best way to do the SB road race pan is to install the pan on the engine, bolt the engine to the K frame and raise the whole assembly up from below like the factory did it.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: AndyF] #1597526
03/24/14 12:01 AM
03/24/14 12:01 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Engine is in the car.

A helpful tip

Once you have positioned the pan in place, install only 2 bolts loosely on either side near the rear of the pan. Then start all 4 of the front bolts directly behind the crank pulley. These bolts are difficult to start because of k member interference. You must be able to 'slide' the pan around a bit to line up the holes and the gasket,,,else you will struggle mightily to get those front bolts started.

With a bunch of the rear bolts started, it is almost impossible to position the pan properly for the front bolts. For some reason this tip is more important for this pan than on the stock pan,,,likely more accurate size and placement of the holes on the new pan.

Has anyone heard of a box end wrench that also provides torque measurements. As previously noted, you ain't going to get a normal torque wrench on a bunch of the bolts on this pan.

A couple of years ago, I invested in a Snap On 15 to 250 torque wrench. One of my favorite all time tools.

Any opinions on running a quart low on oil with this pan to lessen any effect of not running a windage tray,,,pan has 3 more quart capacity than stocker.

Incidentally clears K member just fine with no cutting of it,,,,also clears 2 inch TTI headers with room to spare,,,but still a couple of over the sump bolts yet to install and tighten,,,,my wife shouted me into the house for dinner, on my way out to garage again now.

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 03/24/14 03:23 AM.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597527
03/24/14 03:37 AM
03/24/14 03:37 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
I now completely understand comment about installing this pan while engine is in the car. The 4 bolts above the sump on each side are a real bear to start and tighten. I was feeling pretty cocky pulling the stock pan in 40 minutes,,,my third time pulling it so well practiced. Ain't going to happen with this one,,,,sure hope all is well this time,,,,still a bit concerned that rear main seal could still seeping a bit.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597528
03/24/14 09:50 AM
03/24/14 09:50 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Regarding pickup to pan clearance. If you look at a stock pickup there is a sheet metal cover on the bottom. This cover is supposed to just touch the bottom and this sets the proper spacing. A lot of aftermarket pickups do not have this cover so you must set the clearance, 3/8" is probably just fine for you.

As for torquing the pan bolts, there are torque wrenched that use replaceable ends, you can have a ratchet head, or a box end or an open end so you can get into tight spots to torque the bolts in any case. Not cheap at all, but works well.

http://www.pr-laesser.de/downloads/stahlwille/STW202_Drehmo730D.jpg

Don't be the exception.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Supercuda] #1597529
03/24/14 02:04 PM
03/24/14 02:04 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Regarding pickup to pan clearance. If you look at a stock pickup there is a sheet metal cover on the bottom. This cover is supposed to just touch the bottom and this sets the proper spacing. A lot of aftermarket pickups do not have this cover so you must set the clearance, 3/8" is probably just fine for you.

Milodon pickup have a standoff to set that clearance and help protect the pickup clearance if the bottom of the pan is crushed.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: autoxcuda] #1597530
03/24/14 02:25 PM
03/24/14 02:25 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Milodon pickup have a standoff to set that clearance and help protect the pickup clearance if the bottom of the pan is crushed.

Milodon doesn't show a picture of that pickup and the Summit one is generic.

But at the very bottom of the page on Milodon's website I linked it does state

"Pick-Up to Pan Bottom Clearance MUST Be Checked and Adjusted from 1/4" to 3/8"."

So the OP should be good.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Supercuda] #1597531
03/24/14 03:05 PM
03/24/14 03:05 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Milodon doesn't show a picture of that pickup and the Summit one is generic.

But at the very bottom of the page on Milodon's website I linked it does state

"Pick-Up to Pan Bottom Clearance MUST Be Checked and Adjusted from 1/4" to 3/8"."

So the OP should be good.

Here's the standoff built into the small block road race pickup screen.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597532
03/24/14 03:11 PM
03/24/14 03:11 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

My stock oil pan on 70 Challenger Six Pack, 440 Source 512 inch stroker developed a metal fatigue crack,,,bad story. Purchased a Milodon Road Race(31580) pan, correct oil pickup(corrected to 18328,,I had originally in error said 18326)billet oil pump(21814), and pump drive bronze gear shaft(21525).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-31580/overview/

Have measured for clearance and mounted oil pickup. Am a bit uncertain as to where the pickup nozzle should be in relation to crankshaft center line,,,,off to either side of dead center, or dead center?

In attempting to install pan, I do get the pickup nozzle started into the back most square hole in the pan. But am unable to push the pan all the way up toward the block and forward enough to allow the back of the pan to clear the flywheel(approximately 1/4 inch). The hang up appears to be the tube of the oil pick up where it curves up from the pickup nozzle itself.

Is there some secret to this Chinese puzzle that I'm missing. I have tried rotating the engine so as to offer more clearance at the front of the pan,,,however do not think this is the problem.

Have decided against windage tray for now as I wish to use no sealer or silicone. Additionally have read online and been told by a friend that has a 490 Cuda stroker that windage tray must be notched for pickup,,,,,as well as a notch to be made in K member. I feel all of this is too much to pay for a few more suspect horsepower. Would prefer to run a bit low on oil if push comes to shove.

Are there suggestions as to proper dipstick to use?

Engine has Edie heads, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Roller Hydraulic, Scorpian lifters, Bee Hive springs, and Passon 4speed transmission. Just a good street car, believe my dragstrip days are behind me,,,,but am off to Spring Fling in a couple of weeks, and Goodguys Pleasanton next weekend.

Thank you

In this thread is a picture of 67Charger's road race big block pan with stroker crank:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Shows the stand-off in that pickup also.

Read here also: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1 that's external oiling mod is outdated since milodon now makes a pan just for that.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/24/14 03:16 PM.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Supercuda] #1597533
03/24/14 03:38 PM
03/24/14 03:38 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Quote:

As for torquing the pan bolts, there are torque wrenched that use replaceable ends, you can have a ratchet head, or a box end or an open end so you can get into tight spots to torque the bolts in any case. Not cheap at all, but works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/handle-buy-box.html/ref=dp_start-bbf_1_glance

Basic unit on Xmas wish list.

Layout of pan bolts and expanded sump, am able to torque about 12 of 20 bolts.

Those that I was able to torque to 15 pounds yesterday, I checked today. They all were now all less than 12 pounds, a couple @ 10. Engine not yet started. This is all likely gasket compression,,,again no sealer of any kind used. Those that I cannot torque, I tightened as much as possible with 1/4 inch Snap On ratchet(must have tool for this job with engine in the car),,then 1/2 turn more or less.

Those of you experiencing intransigent oil pan leaking, take note.

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: autoxcuda] #1597534
03/24/14 04:43 PM
03/24/14 04:43 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Here's the standoff built into the small block road race pickup screen.

Oh, I believed you, just commenting that without a picture I couldn't say if it had one, I run LA's so I don;t have a big block setup to look at. I know my Milodon street pan's pickup has a shroud. I also know their oil pan stud kits doesn't fit all the holes in an LA either.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597535
03/25/14 11:29 PM
03/25/14 11:29 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline OP
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/handle-buy-box.html/ref=dp_start-bbf_1_glance

Basic unit on Xmas wish list.

Layout of pan bolts and expanded sump, am able to torque about 12 of 20 bolts.

Those that I was able to torque to 15 pounds yesterday, I checked today. They all were now all less than 12 pounds, a couple @ 10. Engine not yet started. This is all likely gasket compression,,,again no sealer of any kind used. Those that I cannot torque, I tightened as much as possible with 1/4 inch Snap On ratchet(must have tool for this job with engine in the car),,then 1/2 turn more or less.

Those of you experiencing intransigent oil pan leaking, take note.

For rest of this sorry tale, click this link.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8088189

Re: Trouble installing Milodon Road Race 31580 oil pan. [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1597536
03/26/14 01:06 AM
03/26/14 01:06 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
These aftermarket stroker cranks seem to have more rear main seal issues than stock original cranks.

Old rope rear main seals seem to help more. And beware of some aftermarket seal retainers.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=6890472