My stock oil pan on 70 Challenger Six Pack, 440 Source 512 inch stroker developed a metal fatigue crack,,,bad story. Purchased a Milodon Road Race(31580) pan, correct oil pickup(corrected to 18328,,I had originally in error said 18326)billet oil pump(21814), and pump drive bronze gear shaft(21525).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-31580/overview/

Have measured for clearance and mounted oil pickup. Am a bit uncertain as to where the pickup nozzle should be in relation to crankshaft center line,,,,off to either side of dead center, or dead center?

In attempting to install pan, I do get the pickup nozzle started into the back most square hole in the pan. But am unable to push the pan all the way up toward the block and forward enough to allow the back of the pan to clear the flywheel(approximately 1/4 inch). The hang up appears to be the tube of the oil pick up where it curves up from the pickup nozzle itself.

Is there some secret to this Chinese puzzle that I'm missing. I have tried rotating the engine so as to offer more clearance at the front of the pan,,,however do not think this is the problem.

Have decided against windage tray for now as I wish to use no sealer or silicone. Additionally have read online and been told by a friend that has a 490 Cuda stroker that windage tray must be notched for pickup,,,,,as well as a notch to be made in K member. I feel all of this is too much to pay for a few more suspect horsepower. Would prefer to run a bit low on oil if push comes to shove.

Are there suggestions as to proper dipstick to use?

Engine has Edie heads, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Roller Hydraulic, Scorpian lifters, Bee Hive springs, and Passon 4speed transmission. Just a good street car, believe my dragstrip days are behind me,,,,but am off to Spring Fling in a couple of weeks, and Goodguys Pleasanton next weekend.

Thank you

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 03/23/14 08:32 PM.