03/14/14 11:46 AM
03/14/14 11:46 AM
west palm beach, florida
modelmakerinc Offline OP
top fuel
modelmakerinc  Offline OP
top fuel

west palm beach, florida
What do you guys get out of building these "restorations" with the chalk marks and paint daubs and the "arguments" of this part needs a screw with three lines and that part should only have paint on two thirds of the left corner. etc. etc. etc.

I know that the big dollar rare cars are done that way for resale and trophies (the car itself) for private collections and some are investments.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of them and I personnaly would not do that type of restoration (unless I was being paid to)

But what do you guys get? is there a sense of being better than other cars done with someones own style or thought, I just don't get it why you guys are willing to pay STUPID prices for a part because it has the right date and chalk mark and still use imported Chinese crap for parts that are not available.

Don't say that don't happen. how many of these cars have repop parts right next to a overpriced 45 yo part that has been in a box.

Exceptional Architectural, Yacht and Automotive scale models. e-mail modelmakerinc@att.net for a portfolio review. www.modelmakerinc.com
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592724
03/14/14 11:48 AM
03/14/14 11:48 AM
NO RUST IN AZ!!!
A
azmopar Offline
I Live Here
azmopar  Offline
I Live Here
A

NO RUST IN AZ!!!
in my case its preserving or bring back HISTORY

70 Challenger Convertible 340 six pak CLONE?
70 Duster real FM3 car
65 Dart Charger FOR SALE

#NONIKESEVER

A Real man aint afraid to drive PINK!!!!

67 Plymouth Valiant PILOT CAR 273 Commando 4 spd

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592725
03/14/14 11:50 AM
03/14/14 11:50 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
For me it's about history and I consider myself to be a historian. IMO these cars represent a very special time in automotive history and I like to see (at least some of them) preserved/restored as close to how they really were when they were new for future generations to enjoy, and hopefully to appreciate and learn from.

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592726
03/14/14 12:22 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
...our cruise and show events have become a sea of chrome and aluminum and the cars are gorgeous,but some just prefer these cars the way they were when new, or perhaps "day two" especially if they lived through that era
a nicely restored original will almost always be more valuable and desirable unless your modifications are exactly what somebody else wants.

Last edited by can.al; 03/14/14 12:31 PM.
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592727
Morristown Tn.
71birdJ68 Offline
master
71birdJ68  Offline
master

Morristown Tn.
I just love the way Mopar built cars back then, and it's very hard for me to see a improvement from what they did, by the way of modifications. Take a mundane part like valve covers, the wedge valve covers are so exquisitely sculptured compared to Ford or GM stuff that chrome Moroso stuff is a down grade to the engine. I bought my car in 74 when I was 19, and I'm trying to put it back as close as I can to look stock with hidden improvements. You could say I trying to relive my youth. Maybe I'm trying to go to a special time when these cars were new cause I was there, like when I was in the 9th or 10th grade on the second floor go the high school looking out the window watching a 69 Green Road Runner and some sort of GM car line up right in front of the main entrance, and race. Also I'm like Scott, I like history, so I enjoy seeing a stock A model the way it was when new a lot more than a street rod. That way I can get a picture of how people lived back then.

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1592728
03/14/14 12:28 PM
03/14/14 12:28 PM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Exactly!
Also addressing the OP's questions:
1. Because we can and you can't.
2. The same reason you built the car you have. Personal satisfaction
3. We try to use the most original parts we can, if they can't be found we have to use what is available. Ever try to find original, date coded, with the correct part number trunk weather strip?
4. The never ending search for truth and recreating what was and what will never be again.
5. It's fun!

The same reason an original untouched 1500 mile car sells for a butt load of money is no body else has one! It is only original once. Since there aren't 1000's of these lying around, the next best thing is to have a restored car as close to being in the original condition as humanly possible.
I could go on and on. I guess a return question would be why spend all the time and money on a car like yours, that isn't original. You will never get your money back and if you try to sell it someone has to love your personal taste. If it is original thousands of people want it.
I am always amazed that I never see posts from restorers, paint dab , numbers guys bashing the Hot rodders. I love all mopars in all condition. I am happy you are doing what you want to your car. Yet we always see hot rodders, racers, etc. always bashing the numbers, resto, car show people. If you are happy doing your thing, I am happy for you. Why is it so hard to be happy that we are doing our thing? Nuff said

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #1592729
03/14/14 12:41 PM
03/14/14 12:41 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
These cars are historic, they represent the way the world was in easier times. Mopar was doing anything they could to sell a car and there was little government intervention in the finished product. I hung around Chrysler dealerships since I was about 6 years old and remember the cars the way they looked coming off the truck and going for PDI. So that's the way I like them to look.
Fads come and go but restored cars are always in style, I wouldn't want to own an 80's "Pro Street" these days, they look totally lame in this day and age.

Sheldon

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1592730
03/14/14 12:45 PM
03/14/14 12:45 PM
west palm beach, florida
modelmakerinc Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel

west palm beach, florida
Do you think that the way we restore cars are a true representation of what they were?

With all due respect I say no you are not, You are re-writing history, all of our cars are better than new! Where are the crappy runs and missing paint, bad panel alignment, etc.

We would like them to be that way but they are not true representations of what they were, they are only original once I say that survivor cars are the only ones that can be "historic"
justify it all you want, all of those crazy restoration items and processes are for personal satisfaction or financial gain or ??? but not for historical anything

Exceptional Architectural, Yacht and Automotive scale models. e-mail modelmakerinc@att.net for a portfolio review. www.modelmakerinc.com
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592731
03/14/14 12:48 PM
03/14/14 12:48 PM
west palm beach, florida
modelmakerinc Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel

west palm beach, florida
MOPAR MIKE,

Quote:

Because we can and you can't.

NO, Won't, not can't

And I am not Bashing anyone at all, Just curious as to the mindset of needing that $1,700 exhaust hanger to hold a piece of stainless mandrel bent pipe that was never used originally

Last edited by modelmakerinc; 03/14/14 12:54 PM.

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592732
03/14/14 12:55 PM
Land of 10,000 Lakes
44D6PAKCUDA Offline
top fuel
44D6PAKCUDA  Offline
top fuel

Land of 10,000 Lakes
The thrill of the chase.Finding that rare NOS part new in a box is better than most things I can think of right now It also takes me back to a day when I wasn't old enough to enjoy them, but was growing up in that era when my brother and dad could.I always wish I was older and could have walked into a dealership back in 1969-70 and ordered a new muscle car.So for me also it's trying to go back in time and recreate a "new" as delivered car I guess.Heck,I even buy cool parts for cars I don't even own.I know when I finally finished my Cuda a few years ago,the "thrill of the chase" was gone and now I don't know what to do...well maybe I do.

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592733
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Quote:

Do you think that the way we restore cars are a true representation of what they were?

With all due respect I say no you are not, You are re-writing history, all of our cars are better than new! Where are the crappy runs and missing paint, bad panel alignment, etc.

We would like them to be that way but they are not true representations of what they were, they are only original once I say that survivor cars are the only ones that can be "historic"
justify it all you want, all of those crazy restoration items and processes are for personal satisfaction or financial gain or ??? but not for historical anything

Obviously you never saw Dave Waldon's 4-door Valiant nor do you have any right to pronounce any judgement on any restorer or restoration that you have not seen in person.

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592734
03/14/14 01:02 PM
03/14/14 01:02 PM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Quote:

MOPAR MIKE,

Quote:

NO, Won't, not can't

And I am not Bashing anyone at all, Just curious as to the mindset of needing that $1,700 exhaust hanger to hold a piece of stainless mandrel bent pipe that was never used originally

NO, You CAN'T. There you go again making up stuff you can't prove. No restorer has a mind set for buying a $1,700 exhaust hanger. That's just STUPID. Like I said, I am happy you are doing your thing, why can't you be happy we are doing our thing?

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592735
03/14/14 01:19 PM
03/14/14 01:19 PM
Sweden
71redcuda Offline
pro stock
71redcuda  Offline
pro stock

Sweden
Quote:

What do you guys get out of building these "restorations" with the chalk marks and paint daubs and the "arguments" of this part needs a screw with three lines and that part should only have paint on two thirds of the left corner. etc. etc. etc.

I know that the big dollar rare cars are done that way for resale and trophies (the car itself) for private collections and some are investments.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of them and I personnaly would not do that type of restoration (unless I was being paid to)

But what do you guys get? is there a sense of being better than other cars done with someones own style or thought, I just don't get it why you guys are willing to pay STUPID prices for a part because it has the right date and chalk mark and still use imported Chinese crap for parts that are not available.

Don't say that don't happen. how many of these cars have repop parts right next to a overpriced 45 yo part that has been in a box.

It takes time/knowledge and hard work to get a car back to factory condition. Satifiction and much more knowledge when its accomplished.
Everyone cant do it,but its not for everyone either.

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592736
03/14/14 01:38 PM
03/14/14 01:38 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Bullcrap; Though you obviously won't understand, everyone has already told you why we do it and for most people it has NOTHING to do with money. My interest is in factory musclecars and the history of the cars and period in automotive history. I've tried to restore my car to original condition but have made a few changes and compromises on the way (can't justify that $1,700.00 hanger). Each restoration is different and some truly are almost exactly "as delivered". The talent and cost to get to that level isn't something everyone can do....the rest of us simply do the best we can.

It sounds like your perspective is that since no restoration is as accurate as a mint survivor, we shouldn't try and might as well start bolting on tunnel rams and fender flares.....well, that's something that *I* admit I can't understand and would never do...but I don't start a thread asking what the heck you were thinking doing something like that to your car.

Every so often on of these threads come up and my thoughts are that they are most often posted by somebody with a chip on their shoulder....as others have stated, I'm not sure why it bothers people so much how others choose to enjoy their hobby.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592737
03/14/14 02:25 PM
03/14/14 02:25 PM
pa.
D
dan9 Offline
super stock
dan9  Offline
super stock
D

pa.
I think the person answered it best with "the thrill of the chase". You must of had a vision of your own thrill when you built your car. Someone who spends thousands of dollars for a correct spare tire, jack and inflator has their own vision. We know that seriously we will never put a bumper jack to these cars nor will the spare ever be used. Then again a tunnel ram with dual quads may be your representation of a race car that is street driven. I don't know how you can fix most of these old cars without some repro parts. I have seen the 70 Valiant, if you have to ask why then I guess you just don't get it. I have been trying to explain this to 3 wives and THEY don't get it either.

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: DPelletier] #1592738
03/14/14 02:34 PM
03/14/14 02:34 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Some have lived through the golden age of cars,music and the musclecar era and it's lifestyle...Unfortunately those days with the automobile being the centerpiece of culture are now gone..

It's all about preserving and/or representing something that's important to you and being able to reach out for others not associated with the hobby to enjoy...These days the super rare,collectable vehicles are not going to hit the streets for the kids and average person to see and appreciate them....Your so called "unworthy" cars are the ones seen on the streets,at the local car shows, and events across the nation representing the era...

Nothing like heading to the garage and firing up a classic...Cruising around getting the thumbs up ...Or at one time not long ago being the only mopar at the local car show with husbands,wives and kids wanting to know about the car you've brought...

We can't help there's greedy people wanting a fortune for that small part you need...The fun for some is the hunt and finding the nicest piece at the best price you can afford...

Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #1592739
03/14/14 02:38 PM
03/14/14 02:38 PM
Wisconsin
Stewpar Offline
master
Stewpar  Offline
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

MOPAR MIKE,

Quote:

NO, Won't, not can't

NO, You CAN'T. There you go again making up stuff you can't prove. No restorer has a mind set for buying a $1,700 exhaust hanger. That's just STUPID. Like I said, I am happy you are doing your thing, why can't you be happy we are doing our thing?

What do you know about his financial situation to say he can't?

I have no dog in this fight, but Jim summed it up very well for me. It's all about the thrill of the chase, find the car, parts, restore and enjoy. I do it for the love of the cars and how things were done "back in the day" There are different strokes for different folks, but I like the original OEM approach. Thank God reproduction sheet metal and parts have come a long way as I will pay a small premium on an original part vs. reproduction. However, a small premium!

I appreciate all levels of restoration and modification, but I am in the OEM group!

Admiration For Multiple Carburetor Vehicles...
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: Stewpar] #1592740
03/14/14 02:50 PM
03/14/14 02:50 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Online content
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Online Content
Too Many Posts

So Cal
What do 90% of amateur drag racers "get"?:

-Some winnings that don't nearly add up to "consumables" money put a race car? A trophy?

What does a guy building a modified car "get" compared to a OE resto car?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/14/14 03:13 PM.
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: modelmakerinc] #1592741
03/14/14 03:12 PM
03/14/14 03:12 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Online content
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Online Content
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

MOPAR MIKE,

Quote:

NO, Won't, not can't

That sounds like a consistency issue. Like using a totally obvious OE item to attach next to a totally modified item.

Same exact thing happens to modified cars. I'd call it consistency of theme. You have a pro street car with crazy paint, interior, and a stock painted motor. Or just a look that does not flow well.

Same thing happens with race cars. Or people attempting to race cars. Thousands spent on a tricked out carb, but still have lousy ignition system. They spend money or effort on one little thing and miss the big picture. Over concentrate on one thing but let other bottlenecks remain. I think that may be what you are getting at?

Everyone does that in some aspect of our lives. Some more that others. No one is perfect. But some people make some very poor choices.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/14/14 03:14 PM.
Re: Why do you resto guys do what you do? [Re: autoxcuda] #1592742
03/14/14 08:56 PM
03/14/14 08:56 PM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
OCD in an artistic form with a side of history appreciation (and money to kill I guess?)

1971 Plymouth Duster 340 auto
1937 Plymouth PT50
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 speed
2013 Ram laramie 2500 hemi
2008 Harley FLSTSB springer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4