03/01/14 05:06 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Or as close to as possible...

I have a nice weekend here and I wanted to see what you guys recommend I do to seal my oil pan up for good. I had paid a mechanic to replace my old oil pan as I could never quite get it to seal...always seemed to weep.

Of course my body guy wasn't careful and dented the crap out of my oil pan on a lift....so anyways need to replace AGAIN. I have the new pan and two of the Milodan 'crushproof' pan gaskets. I really don't want to pay the mechanic another chunk of $$$ and I have the steering linkage torn down now as I am replacing the gear so figured I'd try it again. This is a BB car with the "windage tray sandwhich" so a real PITA to do....

What do I need to do to get this to not leak?? I have the Moroso 7" pan and the nice gaskets. What do I need to use?? RTV?? What color?? How much or none at all?? Both or one side of the gasket?

This is a real pain and something I want to do ONCE. Please advise me on how to get this to seal up good.

Thanks!!

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586337
03/01/14 05:25 PM
03/01/14 05:25 PM
Alberta Canada
PossessedDuster Offline
enthusiast
PossessedDuster  Offline
enthusiast

Alberta Canada
I haven't tried it but this looks like the answer.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/502000/10002/-1

1 piece pan gasket and windage tray made of modern materials.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: PossessedDuster] #1586338
03/01/14 05:29 PM
03/01/14 05:29 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
weld it to the block ???

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: JohnRR] #1586339
03/01/14 05:46 PM
03/01/14 05:46 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

weld it to the block ???

You stole my thunder

Start by getting rid of the so called "Crush Proof" gaskets.

It appears to me they are using an RN-8011 material which is fine for sealing irregular surfaces. However, it will tend to wick oil (weep) and not maintain bolt torque (weep some more).

If you want the straight shot on the best way to install the Milodon gasket I suggest you contact the manufacturer for their recommendations.

And as far as I know the jury is still out on just how well that Jeg's tray seals on certain oil pans.

If you want a real quality gasket click the link in my signature and browse the catalog.

Some recent thoughts on our gaskets
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8055421

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586340
03/01/14 06:59 PM
03/01/14 06:59 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

Or as close to as possible...

I have a nice weekend here and I wanted to see what you guys recommend I do to seal my oil pan up for good. I had paid a mechanic to replace my old oil pan as I could never quite get it to seal...always seemed to weep.

Of course my body guy wasn't careful and dented the crap out of my oil pan on a lift...

Over last summers many changes, I replaced the oil pan in my car with anew 6 qt Milodon street Hemi pan. I had the Jegs molded composite windage tray ready to go in when I found that they sent me one for a stock stroke. I needed a 4.15 stroke version. It looks to be a winner though. It has soft rubber ribs on each side of the gasket surface and installs in one shot. The old style Block-gasket-steel tray-gasket-oil pan looks totally crude by comparison. I was in a hurry to get the car back together so I sent the Jegs one back and went with the gasket sandwich style. Yeah, it weeps a bit of oil but oddly, the leak isn't at the rear main area. I get it near the timing cover/oil pan connection. What is strange is that this has happened before even with a different oil pan and timing cover.
I've tried looser bolt torque, more bolt torque, smearing RTV on clean surfaces...I see many guys running oil free engines and also wonder what I've done wrong.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: Kern Dog] #1586341
03/01/14 07:07 PM
03/01/14 07:07 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
"the right stuff" but it's the cats' ass to get back off. Have/can you pinpoint the exact spot in the front timing cover/pan interface where it's leaking? To see if something is dented/too much gap/poor fit/not squeaky clean (which RTV requires as you know) etc. sumpin ain't right.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586342
03/01/14 07:09 PM
03/01/14 07:09 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Go buy two small tubes or one large tube of Silicone marked as "adhesive sealant," not the other gasket maker kind Use it sparingly, not a bunch, between the block and the first gasket after you use it to seal the two oil pan gaskest onto the windage tray first and then between the bottom gasket and the oil pan at the same time as you put it on the block Follow the directions on the tube to the letter, it will insure a weep free seal IHTHs

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1586343
03/01/14 07:26 PM
03/01/14 07:26 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
I bought some Permatex High Tack adhesive. I am hoping this with some lock-tight on the pan bolts threads will work. I am hoping this will help me stick the gaskets together and keep them weep free. Part of the problem is with the time it takes to get the tray and pan together, most sealants are already partially set.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586344
03/01/14 07:31 PM
03/01/14 07:31 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

I bought some Permatex High Tack adhesive. I am hoping this with some lock-tight on the pan bolts threads will work. I am hoping this will help me stick the gaskets together and keep them weep free. Part of the problem is with the time it takes to get the tray and pan together, most sealants are already partially set.

Read my post on what was suggested, that has and does, flat work on a lot of motors(150+), gasket adhesives are intended to attach gaskets to parts, not make them oil weep free

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1586345
03/01/14 07:38 PM
03/01/14 07:38 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
This is what I have:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/perma...hTerm=high+tack

You are suggesting black RTV? I went that route before with no luck. I need something to hold the gaskets in place and that won't set so I have time to assemble before it starts to cure.

This is the product my Hayne's manual recommended.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586346
03/01/14 07:44 PM
03/01/14 07:44 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

The only thing Lock Tite is going to do for you is make it harder to re-torque the oil pan bolts.
The pan gasket you are looking at using will relax under torque requiring you to tighten them more. The more you tighten them the more the oil pan flange distorts..... it's a vicious cycle.

As far as using adhesive silicone on all sides of the gasket........ why bother with a gasket at all, just put it together with silicone

Good luck

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: roadhazard] #1586347
03/01/14 10:17 PM
03/01/14 10:17 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Ok so what gaskets will work well besides the ones you sell? I have no doubt you have a quality product but I want this done soon and don't have time to wait for another set of gaskets to come in.

FWIW, the mechanic used the red (copper) RTV between all the layers except for the gasket to block.

Any other ideas? I just want to get this done and I would think everyone here and their uncle has dealt with this and found something that works.

Please keep the ideas coming! I may go the RTV route but just not sure that is buying me anything...

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586348
03/01/14 10:22 PM
03/01/14 10:22 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I just use the stock paper gaskets, one on each side of the windage tray. Not problems getting it to seal.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: Supercuda] #1586349
03/01/14 10:26 PM
03/01/14 10:26 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

I just use the stock paper gaskets, one on each side of the windage tray. Not problems getting it to seal.

With or without sealant? What type?

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586350
03/01/14 10:34 PM
03/01/14 10:34 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I hate RTV with a passion, so I almost never use it.

I might put a dab where the rear seal retainer and block mate. If it's a pain to line up gasket I will use copper gasket spray to glue it in place, but it's not there to seal it.

Other than that, nothing.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: Supercuda] #1586351
03/01/14 10:51 PM
03/01/14 10:51 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
If correctness isn't a concern and you really don't plan on changing it again anytime soon I'd recommend a product called "The Right Stuff". It's a black RTV gasket forming goop. You MUST clean both surfaces to perfection, Use Acetone on a clean rag as a final clean up and make sure your oil pan rails are flat and the holes aren't puckered up. Put a nice thick bead all around on the pan (keep the bead away from the inside edge as you don't want stray goop inside your engine), put some on each bolt as you put them in, and tighten to spec (read, don't over tighten the bolts!).

That sucker will be leak free!

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1586352
03/01/14 11:04 PM
03/01/14 11:04 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Oil pan is brand new so should be flat. My windage tray is a bit banged up but I straightened it a bit with a ball peen hammer and a 2x4.

Has nobody here used the Permatex High Tack Sealant? They mentioned it by name in the Haynes Manual I have. That and just a dab of RTV in the four corners where the rear seal retainer and timing chain cover meet up with the block.

Why I am shying away from the RTV is the fact that I lathered both gaskets (cork) when I did this before and it leaked like crazy. Apparently I did something wrong or RTV just isn't what I should be using.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I have the oil pan off and will try to button it up tomorrow!

P.S. I do love the Jegs idea but I saw some bad press about the quality and fitment here a year or so ago when those came out. That is a fabulous idea they have if they can pull it off. I want to make sure they get the bugs out and get the fitment right before I sink $85 for the stroker version and the time to drop all this steering again.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586353
03/01/14 11:26 PM
03/01/14 11:26 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I did mine a year or so ago with a pair of standard Fel Pro gaskets. Spray adhesive on one side to hold the gasket in place and dry on the other per directions. It seems to be working fine.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: cjskotni] #1586354
03/01/14 11:31 PM
03/01/14 11:31 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Permatex "high tack" the red stuff in the spray can #99MA? That is good stuff for holding gaskets in place & works good with cork & is a spray adhesive & does seal very well but it is very thin & not made for gaps like RTV is & not saying I am a fan of RTV cuz I ain't. I wouldn't want to use RTV on cork (not a dealbreaker just a preference). "the right stuff" goes on like RTV but is far different & dries rock solid, just me I would not refer to it as RTV to avoid confusion as it is far better. I still think you have an excessive gap or poor fitment (including the cork gasket) somewhere. Good luck as leaks are just a pain to deal with as you know. Do check the "new" pan rails for flatness

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1586355
03/02/14 12:34 AM
03/02/14 12:34 AM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
Quote:

Go buy two small tubes or one large tube of Silicone marked as "adhesive sealant," not the other gasket maker kind Use it sparingly, not a bunch, between the block and the first gasket after you use it to seal the two oil pan gaskest onto the windage tray first and then between the bottom gasket and the oil pan at the same time as you put it on the block Follow the directions on the tube to the letter, it will insure a weep free seal IHTHs

Yes... After 6...that's SIX pan gasket changes, I've had to learn the
hard way. Turns out the root cause was my pvc was plugged into the front of the Eddy afb instead of the rear vacuum port & was causing too much crankcase pressure & blowing the pan gasket seal. SO, after TWO Jeg's composite windage tray/gaskets, one installed with Right Stuff (NEVER again...took 4 solid hours to remove it), and the Moroso
crush proof (EXPENSIVE) gaskets w/ the factory tray, I called Permatex & he reiterated what Cab says. Use a sealant on rubber gaskets & not
RTV. I did use RTV on the edges of the front timing cover junction & where the rear main seal holder meets the block. Anyway, the gist of my long winded post is, use sealant with the Moroso gaskets & DON"T overtighten. My pan rail was gouged due when removing The "Right"Stuff
so I don't think you'll have an issue with just a very thin coat of sealant. Best of luck & hope it goes well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3