Moparts

How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER??

Posted By: cjskotni

How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 09:06 PM

Or as close to as possible...

I have a nice weekend here and I wanted to see what you guys recommend I do to seal my oil pan up for good. I had paid a mechanic to replace my old oil pan as I could never quite get it to seal...always seemed to weep.

Of course my body guy wasn't careful and dented the crap out of my oil pan on a lift....so anyways need to replace AGAIN. I have the new pan and two of the Milodan 'crushproof' pan gaskets. I really don't want to pay the mechanic another chunk of $$$ and I have the steering linkage torn down now as I am replacing the gear so figured I'd try it again. This is a BB car with the "windage tray sandwhich" so a real PITA to do....

What do I need to do to get this to not leak?? I have the Moroso 7" pan and the nice gaskets. What do I need to use?? RTV?? What color?? How much or none at all?? Both or one side of the gasket?

This is a real pain and something I want to do ONCE. Please advise me on how to get this to seal up good.

Thanks!!
Posted By: PossessedDuster

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 09:25 PM

I haven't tried it but this looks like the answer.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/502000/10002/-1

1 piece pan gasket and windage tray made of modern materials.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 09:29 PM

weld it to the block ???

Posted By: roadhazard

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 09:46 PM

Quote:

weld it to the block ???

You stole my thunder

Start by getting rid of the so called "Crush Proof" gaskets.

It appears to me they are using an RN-8011 material which is fine for sealing irregular surfaces. However, it will tend to wick oil (weep) and not maintain bolt torque (weep some more).

If you want the straight shot on the best way to install the Milodon gasket I suggest you contact the manufacturer for their recommendations.

And as far as I know the jury is still out on just how well that Jeg's tray seals on certain oil pans.

If you want a real quality gasket click the link in my signature and browse the catalog.

Some recent thoughts on our gaskets
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8055421
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 10:59 PM

Quote:

Or as close to as possible...

I have a nice weekend here and I wanted to see what you guys recommend I do to seal my oil pan up for good. I had paid a mechanic to replace my old oil pan as I could never quite get it to seal...always seemed to weep.

Of course my body guy wasn't careful and dented the crap out of my oil pan on a lift...

Over last summers many changes, I replaced the oil pan in my car with anew 6 qt Milodon street Hemi pan. I had the Jegs molded composite windage tray ready to go in when I found that they sent me one for a stock stroke. I needed a 4.15 stroke version. It looks to be a winner though. It has soft rubber ribs on each side of the gasket surface and installs in one shot. The old style Block-gasket-steel tray-gasket-oil pan looks totally crude by comparison. I was in a hurry to get the car back together so I sent the Jegs one back and went with the gasket sandwich style. Yeah, it weeps a bit of oil but oddly, the leak isn't at the rear main area. I get it near the timing cover/oil pan connection. What is strange is that this has happened before even with a different oil pan and timing cover.
I've tried looser bolt torque, more bolt torque, smearing RTV on clean surfaces...I see many guys running oil free engines and also wonder what I've done wrong.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 11:07 PM

"the right stuff" but it's the cats' ass to get back off. Have/can you pinpoint the exact spot in the front timing cover/pan interface where it's leaking? To see if something is dented/too much gap/poor fit/not squeaky clean (which RTV requires as you know) etc. sumpin ain't right.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 11:09 PM

Go buy two small tubes or one large tube of Silicone marked as "adhesive sealant," not the other gasket maker kind Use it sparingly, not a bunch, between the block and the first gasket after you use it to seal the two oil pan gaskest onto the windage tray first and then between the bottom gasket and the oil pan at the same time as you put it on the block Follow the directions on the tube to the letter, it will insure a weep free seal IHTHs

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 11:26 PM

I bought some Permatex High Tack adhesive. I am hoping this with some lock-tight on the pan bolts threads will work. I am hoping this will help me stick the gaskets together and keep them weep free. Part of the problem is with the time it takes to get the tray and pan together, most sealants are already partially set.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 11:31 PM

Quote:

I bought some Permatex High Tack adhesive. I am hoping this with some lock-tight on the pan bolts threads will work. I am hoping this will help me stick the gaskets together and keep them weep free. Part of the problem is with the time it takes to get the tray and pan together, most sealants are already partially set.

Read my post on what was suggested, that has and does, flat work on a lot of motors(150+), gasket adhesives are intended to attach gaskets to parts, not make them oil weep free

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 11:38 PM

This is what I have:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/perma...hTerm=high+tack

You are suggesting black RTV? I went that route before with no luck. I need something to hold the gaskets in place and that won't set so I have time to assemble before it starts to cure.

This is the product my Hayne's manual recommended.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/01/14 11:44 PM

Quote:

The only thing Lock Tite is going to do for you is make it harder to re-torque the oil pan bolts.
The pan gasket you are looking at using will relax under torque requiring you to tighten them more. The more you tighten them the more the oil pan flange distorts..... it's a vicious cycle.

As far as using adhesive silicone on all sides of the gasket........ why bother with a gasket at all, just put it together with silicone

Good luck

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:17 AM

Ok so what gaskets will work well besides the ones you sell? I have no doubt you have a quality product but I want this done soon and don't have time to wait for another set of gaskets to come in.

FWIW, the mechanic used the red (copper) RTV between all the layers except for the gasket to block.

Any other ideas? I just want to get this done and I would think everyone here and their uncle has dealt with this and found something that works.

Please keep the ideas coming! I may go the RTV route but just not sure that is buying me anything...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:22 AM

I just use the stock paper gaskets, one on each side of the windage tray. Not problems getting it to seal.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:26 AM

Quote:

I just use the stock paper gaskets, one on each side of the windage tray. Not problems getting it to seal.

With or without sealant? What type?

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:34 AM

I hate RTV with a passion, so I almost never use it.

I might put a dab where the rear seal retainer and block mate. If it's a pain to line up gasket I will use copper gasket spray to glue it in place, but it's not there to seal it.

Other than that, nothing.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:51 AM

If correctness isn't a concern and you really don't plan on changing it again anytime soon I'd recommend a product called "The Right Stuff". It's a black RTV gasket forming goop. You MUST clean both surfaces to perfection, Use Acetone on a clean rag as a final clean up and make sure your oil pan rails are flat and the holes aren't puckered up. Put a nice thick bead all around on the pan (keep the bead away from the inside edge as you don't want stray goop inside your engine), put some on each bolt as you put them in, and tighten to spec (read, don't over tighten the bolts!).

That sucker will be leak free!

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 03:04 AM

Oil pan is brand new so should be flat. My windage tray is a bit banged up but I straightened it a bit with a ball peen hammer and a 2x4.

Has nobody here used the Permatex High Tack Sealant? They mentioned it by name in the Haynes Manual I have. That and just a dab of RTV in the four corners where the rear seal retainer and timing chain cover meet up with the block.

Why I am shying away from the RTV is the fact that I lathered both gaskets (cork) when I did this before and it leaked like crazy. Apparently I did something wrong or RTV just isn't what I should be using.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I have the oil pan off and will try to button it up tomorrow!

P.S. I do love the Jegs idea but I saw some bad press about the quality and fitment here a year or so ago when those came out. That is a fabulous idea they have if they can pull it off. I want to make sure they get the bugs out and get the fitment right before I sink $85 for the stroker version and the time to drop all this steering again.
Posted By: ahy

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 03:26 AM

I did mine a year or so ago with a pair of standard Fel Pro gaskets. Spray adhesive on one side to hold the gasket in place and dry on the other per directions. It seems to be working fine.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 03:31 AM

Permatex "high tack" the red stuff in the spray can #99MA? That is good stuff for holding gaskets in place & works good with cork & is a spray adhesive & does seal very well but it is very thin & not made for gaps like RTV is & not saying I am a fan of RTV cuz I ain't. I wouldn't want to use RTV on cork (not a dealbreaker just a preference). "the right stuff" goes on like RTV but is far different & dries rock solid, just me I would not refer to it as RTV to avoid confusion as it is far better. I still think you have an excessive gap or poor fitment (including the cork gasket) somewhere. Good luck as leaks are just a pain to deal with as you know. Do check the "new" pan rails for flatness
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Go buy two small tubes or one large tube of Silicone marked as "adhesive sealant," not the other gasket maker kind Use it sparingly, not a bunch, between the block and the first gasket after you use it to seal the two oil pan gaskest onto the windage tray first and then between the bottom gasket and the oil pan at the same time as you put it on the block Follow the directions on the tube to the letter, it will insure a weep free seal IHTHs

Yes... After 6...that's SIX pan gasket changes, I've had to learn the
hard way. Turns out the root cause was my pvc was plugged into the front of the Eddy afb instead of the rear vacuum port & was causing too much crankcase pressure & blowing the pan gasket seal. SO, after TWO Jeg's composite windage tray/gaskets, one installed with Right Stuff (NEVER again...took 4 solid hours to remove it), and the Moroso
crush proof (EXPENSIVE) gaskets w/ the factory tray, I called Permatex & he reiterated what Cab says. Use a sealant on rubber gaskets & not
RTV. I did use RTV on the edges of the front timing cover junction & where the rear main seal holder meets the block. Anyway, the gist of my long winded post is, use sealant with the Moroso gaskets & DON"T overtighten. My pan rail was gouged due when removing The "Right"Stuff
so I don't think you'll have an issue with just a very thin coat of sealant. Best of luck & hope it goes well.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 05:31 AM

I quit using gasket maker RTV years ago, right after Permatex came out with thier adhesive sealant

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 06:01 AM

Quote:

Has nobody here used the Permatex High Tack Sealant? They mentioned it by name in the Haynes Manual I have. That and just a dab of RTV in the four corners where the rear seal retainer and timing chain cover meet up with the block.

Really?

On a big block?

Time for a new manual since the timing chain cover and oil pan have no common surfaces on a big block.

The factory built millions of big blocks without RTV, it's not like sealing them up is a trick. Looks like you are doing this one in the car, which I have not done, so gluing the gaskets in place might help you get everything lined up easier.

Or you can simply assemble the gaskets and tray to the pan, tie them in place with thread in each hole and assemble. BTDT.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 07:22 AM

The molded windage tray / Gasket from Jegs seems to seal good on my stroked 440. The problem I usually have is the bolts loosening up. I used the ARP stainless bolts on a few engines, and I ended up putting the blue medium strength LocTite on them.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 07:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Really?

On a big block?

Time for a new manual since the timing chain cover and oil pan have no common surfaces on a big block.

Ummm.....yes they do. The bottom of the timing cover mates to the front edge of the oil pan.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 07:52 AM

The Right Stuff will end the issue. It will also create a new one.

BB oil pan meets timing chain cover.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 07:59 AM

Quote:

Which is precisely why my suggestion was ONLY if he didn't plan on removing it anytime soon

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 10:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which is precisely why my suggestion was ONLY if he didn't plan on removing it anytime soon

that is one of the reason I have never used the "Right Stuff" I've heard to many other racers and engine builders complain about having to take a motor apart that had been assembled with the Wrong Stuff, not fun or easy

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 01:11 PM

what the heck was I thinking.

Dunno

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:33 PM

Quote:

I quit using gasket maker RTV years ago, right after Permatex came out with thier adhesive sealant

When I search 'adhesive sealant' I get the Permatex black RTV. On the Permatex website, they state that this is not recommended for gasket dressing.

Are you referring to this?
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 02:51 PM

Did this leak start after a fresh rebuild of the engine? The reason I ask is I have seen several B/RB engines where the timing cover does not lay flat up against the front of the block. After the timing cover has been bolted on and torqued to spec, you could still run a thin feelers gauge in between the cover and block. This was in the area about 3-4 inches up from where the timing cover meets the oil pan on both sides. The oil seeps out and runs down to the front corners of the pan then follows the rails back. Just something I thought you might want to check before dropping the pan again.

Good luck.

Dan

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 03:09 PM

So the pan was not leaking THIS time as I paid a mechanic to do it last time as I didn't want to mess with it. I had to pull the pan as my careless body buy dented the pan on his lift.

Last few times I did the pan myself, I could never seem to get it to seal up good. I always used the standard paper gaskets and black RTV. This time I'm hoping better gaskets, high tack sealant, and blue locktight on the bolts will help.

One last question, Haynes manual says 200 in-lbs on the bolts. Is this what you guys would use? Oh and I have ARP bolts FWIW.

Also I have a bunch of this:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ARP-1009904/Arp-Teflon-Thread-Sealer

Will that be a good idea to use on the bolts instead of locktight?

Thanks!!
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 04:14 PM

Quote:

Did this leak start after a fresh rebuild of the engine? The reason I ask is I have seen several B/RB engines where the timing cover does not lay flat up against the front of the block. After the timing cover has been bolted on and torqued to spec, you could still run a thin feelers gauge in between the cover and block. This was in the area about 3-4 inches up from where the timing cover meets the oil pan on both sides. The oil seeps out and runs down to the front corners of the pan then follows the rails back. Just something I thought you might want to check before dropping the pan again.

Good luck.

Dan

I had the same thing happen.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 04:25 PM

Ok, your making this a LOT harder than it needs to be. You recieved some very good advice early on from Greg in this post.I have built quite a few engines over almost 30 years, and I can tell you I never needed Right Stuff, or any other miracle sealers to get the job done. Here is my opinion and comments:

1) Stop looking for the miracle RTV
2) Make SURE...SURE..SURE...all gasket surfaces are oil and silicone free, and as clean as you can get them, Use lacquer thinner to clean the surfaces.
3) Using High tack on each gasket, JUST to adhere it to the windage tray is fine. High Tack does SOME sealing, but it really is only there to make the installation easier, IE: make the gaskets hold in place till you can install them.
4) The Milodon crush proof gaskets, are not all they are cracked up to be. As Greg already mentioned, their material isnt optimum in this application, The wicking and loosening WILL happen. Using locktite on the bolts really doesnt help a thing with that. With a good gasket and proper installation, I have never seeen a rash of oil pan bolts falling out.
5) RTV. usually creates as many issues as it solves. Most people WAY over use it, and things get even worse. It has its place here and there, but most applications just dont need it. Its a " feel good" product many times. Keep in mind, a gasket is there to do what? Yep, thats right, seal things up. Then why do we need all of this silicone? Let the gasket do its job, which is to seal the surfaces.Flat surfaces are the key to sealing anything up. If the surfaces are dirty, uneven, have debris on them, dont mate up right, then you need to fix that first.
6) You dont want to wait to get good gaskets, but also dont want to ever touch this pan again? I'd suggest maybe re-thinking that.
7) Make sure the area by the rear main seal reatiner is good anf flat. Sometimes the retainer can be a little pronounced there, and cause an issue. Also, if this engine has ever had main studs installed, quite often the interfere witht he rear portion of the oil pan, and it will never seal. The front timing cover is also an area of suspect. The timing cover may not be as flush to the block as the pan is. In that case, you MAY need a touch of sealer there, but just a dab is all, put too much on and you create another problem.
8) The windage tray needs to be perfectly clean and flat. If its not, that will be a problem. The High Tack does work good for that area.
9) If you and others, have been torquing the hell out of this oil pan to try and stop leaks for a long time, then you have probably stretched the oil bolt holes and they are no longer flush. Use a large brass drif, witht he oil pan on a flat surface and get all the holes flat again, and DO NOT overtighten the pan.

My guess is, a few of the recent installs simply werent done correctly. As I said, I have done a lot of BBM's, and we actually have a very easy oil pan to seal up. IF you pay attention to all these things. If you are having another problem like crankcase ventilation etc, then nothing will work , short of gluing and welding it...so that would need to be addressed seperatly.

Take your time, dont be in a hurry, do it right the first time, and dont go buying stock in Permatex anytime soon, you simply dont need all this RTV if everything elses is right. Let the gasket do its job, which is to seal things, and I would suggest using a different gasket as well. Good luck
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 05:21 PM

Last post by Comp BB oil pans are just not that hard to seal up I just use the gasket NOW if you don't have a problem with the rear main consider yourself VERY LUCKY!!!

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 07:33 PM

Ok I got her done! Pan is bolted back on.

I cleaned everything super well. I scraped off all the leftover gasket/RTV, went over it with 000 steel wool, and wiped it down with lacquer thinner. All surfaces were clean and oil free!

Next I chased all the bolt holes with a tap and used a tiny drill bit (in reverse low speed) to knock out the RTV from the holes. I sprayed all the holes with brake cleaner and blew all the gunk out of em!

I used the high tack sealant on the two gaskets and put them on the windage tray first. I high tacked the top of the gasket and used a dab of copper RTV on the rear seal retainer and where the timing cover meats the block. Stuck windage tray up there and added the pan with some high tack on the flanges.

I carefully crisscrossed all the pan bolts hand tight first. Then I went back and snuck up with the torque wrench. I torqued everything down to 180 in-lbs (15 ft-lbs) which I saw on several websites. 200 in-lbs seemed a little much and I don't want to deform this pan. I used lock tight on all the bolts.

Yes I did have the infamous rear seal issues but I went to the 440source billet retainer with the Viton seals. Bone dry now for over a year. I guess I am one of the lucky ones now in that regard.

I appreciate all the input guys! I did use the Milodan gaskets as the ones that were there a year had not leaked yet. I will let you know what happens when I get this back on the road. I still have to get me new Firm Feel gear in which comes in next week!

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

Ok, your making this a LOT harder than it needs to be. You recieved some very good advice early on from Greg in this post.I have built quite a few engines over almost 30 years, and I can tell you I never needed Right Stuff, or any other miracle sealers to get the job done. Here is my opinion and comments:

1) Stop looking for the miracle RTV
2) Make SURE...SURE..SURE...all gasket surfaces are oil and silicone free, and as clean as you can get them, Use lacquer thinner to clean the surfaces.
3) Using High tack on each gasket, JUST to adhere it to the windage tray is fine. High Tack does SOME sealing, but it really is only there to make the installation easier, IE: make the gaskets hold in place till you can install them.
4) The Milodon crush proof gaskets, are not all they are cracked up to be. As Greg already mentioned, their material isnt optimum in this application, The wicking and loosening WILL happen. Using locktite on the bolts really doesnt help a thing with that. With a good gasket and proper installation, I have never seeen a rash of oil pan bolts falling out.
5) RTV. usually creates as many issues as it solves. Most people WAY over use it, and things get even worse. It has its place here and there, but most applications just dont need it. Its a " feel good" product many times. Keep in mind, a gasket is there to do what? Yep, thats right, seal things up. Then why do we need all of this silicone? Let the gasket do its job, which is to seal the surfaces.Flat surfaces are the key to sealing anything up. If the surfaces are dirty, uneven, have debris on them, dont mate up right, then you need to fix that first.
6) You dont want to wait to get good gaskets, but also dont want to ever touch this pan again? I'd suggest maybe re-thinking that.
7) Make sure the area by the rear main seal reatiner is good anf flat. Sometimes the retainer can be a little pronounced there, and cause an issue. Also, if this engine has ever had main studs installed, quite often the interfere witht he rear portion of the oil pan, and it will never seal. The front timing cover is also an area of suspect. The timing cover may not be as flush to the block as the pan is. In that case, you MAY need a touch of sealer there, but just a dab is all, put too much on and you create another problem.
8) The windage tray needs to be perfectly clean and flat. If its not, that will be a problem. The High Tack does work good for that area.
9) If you and others, have been torquing the hell out of this oil pan to try and stop leaks for a long time, then you have probably stretched the oil bolt holes and they are no longer flush. Use a large brass drif, witht he oil pan on a flat surface and get all the holes flat again, and DO NOT overtighten the pan.

My guess is, a few of the recent installs simply werent done correctly. As I said, I have done a lot of BBM's, and we actually have a very easy oil pan to seal up. IF you pay attention to all these things. If you are having another problem like crankcase ventilation etc, then nothing will work , short of gluing and welding it...so that would need to be addressed seperatly.

Take your time, dont be in a hurry, do it right the first time, and dont go buying stock in Permatex anytime soon, you simply dont need all this RTV if everything elses is right. Let the gasket do its job, which is to seal things, and I would suggest using a different gasket as well. Good luck

Todd I'm sure many here on the board appreciate the time and thought you put into your post. I sure do!

Many times I simply run out of time explaining that if you have to use a bunch of sealers on your gaskets you either have component issues to start with or they are not much of a gasket.

I can honestly say that the pan gasket I put on the Charger 3 years ago has never weeped nor needed the bolts re-torqued. The pair on the Barracuda is going on 8 years? No wicking of oil and never touched the bolts on it either.

Free PROFESSIONAL advise is given, ie; no need for Lock Tite, yet goes unheeded.

Hope everything works out for the OP
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/02/14 11:28 PM

I like these bolts from Mancini and I stick both gaskets to the windage tray with spray on 3M trim adhesive and a small amount of Toyota black sealer on the seams where the cover meets the block.
Here's the link to the bolt s
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopenstanset.html
They don't come loose
Gus

Attached picture 8059237-savoyburnout.jpg

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/03/14 12:03 AM

Ha and those bolts have lock tight. I have the ARP bolts so not ditching those after what they cost!

Even though it may not be necessary, lock tight won't hurt anything. FWIW, that high tack was very handy. It stuck the gaskets on pretty well but didn't dry so fast you couldn't reposition them a little bit after a few minutes.

I am not a believer in RTV for this job. I only used a dab in the 4 joints where the black met the retainer/timing cover. I think that is where I went wrong last time I did the pan as I gobbed the RTV on everywhere (on the advice of a friend) and I spent so much time covering the gaskets with it, I think it had begun to set a bit. The same thing happened on my intake manifold. I find I have to have a helper to apply the RTV on the intake so I have it all done before the RTV begins to cure. Maybe I'm just that slow?

Either way I got pissed about it and paid a mechanic to replace the leaky oil pan.

The reason I had to re-do the gasket this time was **not** due to a leak. The pan was smashed by a careless body shop worker on their lift. A mechanic installed them, but I had the same Milodan gaskets on with nay a leak for over a year before this happened.

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/03/14 12:38 AM

How in the he11 did your "MECHANIC" let it leave the shop like that
I'm baffled at how it happened in the first place let alone what kind of person would even let you see that kind of mistake.
If an accident like that happened in my shop you would have a new pan installed free of charge.
Gus

Attached picture 8059324-frontveiwsavoy.jpg

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/03/14 01:32 AM

Quote:

How in the he11 did your "MECHANIC" let it leave the shop like that
I'm baffled at how it happened in the first place let alone what kind of person would even let you see that kind of mistake.
If an accident like that happened in my shop you would have a new pan installed free of charge.
Gus

It was a body shop, not my mechanic. He paid for it to be replaced but yeah, I was pretty pissed.

He swears that he had no idea and whatever monkey did it probably didn't hear/feel it happen but he paid for it so I can't complain too much.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/03/14 01:37 AM

Quote:

Yes I did have the infamous rear seal issues but I went to the 440source billet retainer with the Viton seals. Bone dry now for over a year. I guess I am one of the lucky ones now in that regard.

I have been using the Viton rear main seals, and they seem to seal really well. A bit pricy but worth it not to have oil leaks. The 440 source billet retainer is ok, it sat slightly lower than my oil pan rail, but sealed up fine.

Not sure why some don't like loctite on the bolts? There is very little torque to hold the bolts from loosening. The stainless ARP bolts seem to loosen easier than the stock bolts, maybe the rolled threads are too smooth, or the smooth bolt head on a smooth washer? Either way, not much friction to keep the bolt in place so I use some loctite, no big deal.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/03/14 02:37 AM

Quote:

Ha and those bolts have lock tight. I have the ARP bolts so not ditching those after what they cost!

Even though it may not be necessary, lock tight won't hurt anything. FWIW, that high tack was very handy. It stuck the gaskets on pretty well but didn't dry so fast you couldn't reposition them a little bit after a few minutes.

I am not a believer in RTV for this job. I only used a dab in the 4 joints where the black met the retainer/timing cover. I think that is where I went wrong last time I did the pan as I gobbed the RTV on everywhere (on the advice of a friend) and I spent so much time covering the gaskets with it, I think it had begun to set a bit. The same thing happened on my intake manifold. I find I have to have a helper to apply the RTV on the intake so I have it all done before the RTV begins to cure. Maybe I'm just that slow?

Either way I got pissed about it and paid a mechanic to replace the leaky oil pan.

The reason I had to re-do the gasket this time was **not** due to a leak. The pan was smashed by a careless body shop worker on their lift. A mechanic installed them, but I had the same Milodan gaskets on with nay a leak for over a year before this happened.

Really ARP bolts for the oil pan make no difference. I have all grade 5 hardware store bolts on my junk.

The High Tack is great for just exactly the way you used it

The only place you need RTV on an intake is on the china rail and in the corners where the block and heads meet. I gather you're smearing it on and it's drying? Proper application is to place a 1/16"-1/8" "Bead".

I do understand you had to replace the pan because of damage and figured when you said you wanted it sealed "FOREVER" I assumed when you got it sealed up initially you didn't want to touch it for the next 10-15 years. Just about anything will seal for a year

Sorry about the body shop guy blasting your nice Moroso pan
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/03/14 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been using the Viton rear main seals, and they seem to seal really well. A bit pricy but worth it not to have oil leaks. The 440 source billet retainer is ok, it sat slightly lower than my oil pan rail, but sealed up fine.

Not sure why some don't like loctite on the bolts? There is very little torque to hold the bolts from loosening. The stainless ARP bolts seem to loosen easier than the stock bolts, maybe the rolled threads are too smooth, or the smooth bolt head on a smooth washer? Either way, not much friction to keep the bolt in place so I use some loctite, no big deal.

For what it's worth I was at a Loctite clinic about 20 years ago and was told by a Loctite tech person that there thread lockers would not work on a stainless steel fastener. Maybe now days they have a product. Anyone ever here of this?

Dan.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/06/14 05:40 AM

I've used nothing but fishing line for years. No gasket sealers at all on Chevys and Oldsmobiles. Just pulled the pan on our 440/512 to replace leaky rear main seal,,,ended up using Mancini/440 source retainer setup. 2 hour job turned into 8 or more. First getting the pan free because the guy that put the motor together used blankety/blank ultra grey,,,and then a few more hours cleaning the crap off the windage tray,the block and the pan,,,a big pita.

Putting it all back together I left out the windage,,,damn going to lose 15 hp at 6,500 rpm,,,and just used the fish line thru 4 bolt holes to hold the gasket in place,,,,which is cut and pulled out when pan is buttoned down. If the rear main leaks again, wiil be a couple hour job.

Problem that I now have is this. I used a Milodon crush proof gasket and arp bolts torqued to 15 pounds. After a few miles of driving, had leaking at rear of pan. Checked bolts,,, all had loosened to less than 5 pounds. I re-torqued and again all soon loosened again. I then tried Permetex number 243 blue thread lock,,,supposedly works in the presence of oil,,,,don't believe it,,,did nothing even after cleaning bolts and bolt holes best I could with carb cleaner. I pulled and cleaned and replaced each bolt one at a time. Loose again.

So now rebolt again with lock washers, pitching arp's regular washers,,,they now seem to be holding torque better,,,,was wondering if so called "star" washers might hold better.

However also the Milodon gasket is squeezing out a bit at the backnear the flywheel cover,,,,and has cracked at a couple of the rear bolt holes. And is oil logged, so am seeping a bit of oil,,,so will be changing it out for another solution. May give the "Performance" gasket a try. It appears to be getting good press on this forum.

Overall a real PITA introduction to big block Mopars and oil leaks,,,,,I do own a 1956 Chrysler 300 B,,,and in 28 years has never leaked a drop. Wonder where those engineers were hanging out when Chrysler went with their wedges and 2nd gen Hemi',,. Christ lost my head again,,,,,the 1st Hemi's were rope sealed.

One other thought on pan bolts loosening. I said earlier that my engine is all bolted together with ARP. These appear to be stainless bolts. I am wondering if this is why the pan bolts will not hold torque(using a high quality Snap On torque wrench). Stainless against the cast steel of a oily block may not give enough friction,,,if against stainless all perhaps would be far better. I plan to call ARP to get their opinion. As to possible issues.

The Mopar pan is so simple( all flat design) compared to Olds or Chevy,,,have not figured why it is so tough to seal, whereas I've never in 40 years had leak issues with them. Is it the design of the mating surfaces,,,or again the arp bolts,,,or the Milodon anti crush gasket? Pan and block surfaces were totally and perfectly clean and pan surface was completely flat. Interesting how Moroso gasket has partially squeezed out at rear,,,but does not explain continuos bolt loosening. Leak is minor at this time and occurs only after mildly hard driving. But still should be zero.

Likely I will post a new thread(with even more detail)on this topic to get some opinions. There are some sharp minds that I have seen since joining this forum,,,someone(s) know..

Attached picture 8063561-image.jpg

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/06/14 08:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For what it's worth I was at a Loctite clinic about 20 years ago and was told by a Loctite tech person that there thread lockers would not work on a stainless steel fastener. Maybe now days they have a product. Anyone ever here of this?

Dan.

I'm not sure it works the same on stainless as it does on regular steel, but after it drys (turns like chalky white?) it does add some resistance to loosening. The bolts can still be loosened with a wrench pretty easy. I just used the ARP bolts because they came in the engine bolt kit, but the Mopar ones from Mancini (there is a link in another post) I think would work better. It looks like they have a larger captured washer, and come with thread locker already applied.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/06/14 01:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dan.

As I note elsewhere on this thread,,,I am suspecting that arp bolts being apparently stainless(stainless against regular steel such as is engine block will have much less friction than against stainless) cause of my pan bolts continually losing torque,,,,,and even blue number 243 locktite or permetex lookalike does not help. I believe that other bolt material(regular steel) or lock washers are the key,,,,perhaps star washers may even be better,,,I plan to try them.

Very interesting comment on thread locker as ineffective with stainless bolts. As I observed and noted in my recent post,,,,,blue number 243(suppose to work in the presence of oil) did nothing at all,,,,but lock washers have. I will query locktite on this.

Also i am suspecting that using the arp supplied flat washers compound the problem of loosening as they likely reduce any remaining friction that might exist

Post Extras:

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/06/14 02:40 PM

I looked at the data sheet for the lock tight and it shows a longer cure time but still effective with stainless steel. data sheet

I will agree the ARP bolts seem to want to loosen up overall compared to standard bolts. I suspect the rolled threads and general smoother construction leads to less friction than a rusty old steel bolt.

I went with the RED lock tight on my bolts to help avoid this. I would feel better with lock washers or stars to help give the bolts some 'bite' into the pan rail. Their material sheet specifies a breakaway torque of around 250 in-lbs so that should hold it. Heck I just found one of my engine mount bolts was missing a nut where it had loosened up and fell off! Again, ARP bolts here.....and now they got the RED lock tight treatment.

I have my pan back on but haven't filled with oil yet as I am still getting my steering setup ready. Hopefully no leaks.

If this doesn't work, I may start going to lock washers on all these ARP bolts I am using.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/06/14 05:09 PM

With regards to Loctite not holding on stainless; every external bolt on my motor is stainless. Every one is installed with 40-year old Loctite blue. I haven't had an issue. Every bolt I've pulled had required about the same amount of torque to loosen it as it did to tighten.

These are over-the-counter stainless bolts, not pretty ARP pieces but never-the-less it kinda kills that "doesn't work on stainless" idea.

I would suggest another call to Loctite if there is any concern rather than relying on someone's memory from a few years back. Not sayin' it isn't true, just sayin' its worth confirming.

If you want bolts that don't come loose on the oilpan, go to a bolt supply place (not Home Depot!!) and get bolts with the little nylon insert in them. These things NEVER back out under their own power. Otherwise an internal star washer works good.

For sealing the pan I spoke to the guys at Muscle Motors and bought their funky gasket. Then I took their advice and "layed the RTV to it". I'm pretty sure I could take out all the bolts and not worry about the pan leaking or falling off !!!

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/06/14 05:44 PM

Quote:

With regards to Loctite not holding on stainless; every external bolt on my motor is stainless. Every one is installed with 40-year old Loctite blue. I haven't had an issue. Every bolt I've pulled had required about the same amount of torque to loosen it as it did to tighten.

These are over-the-counter stainless bolts, not pretty ARP pieces but never-the-less it kinda kills that "doesn't work on stainless" idea.

I would suggest another call to Loctite if there is any concern rather than relying on someone's memory from a few years back. Not sayin' it isn't true, just sayin' its worth confirming.

If you want bolts that don't come loose on the oilpan, go to a bolt supply place (not Home Depot!!) and get bolts with the little nylon insert in them. These things NEVER back out under their own power. Otherwise an internal star washer works good.

For sealing the pan I spoke to the guys at Muscle Motors and bought their funky gasket. Then I took their advice and "layed the RTV to it". I'm pretty sure I could take out all the bolts and not worry about the pan leaking or falling off !!!

Two things, fishing line works as a field expedient when you do not have those bolts with the nylon insert you mentioned.

Gooping RTV on, all the RTV that squishes out when you tighten things up is mirrored by RTV squishing in as well. You cannot get to the RTV on the inside and if a chunk breaks off you might have problems. Lost a 413 due to this very issue. Had a leaky thermostat housing (chrome one of course) that I finally gooped a ton of RTV on to "fix it". Yeah, I fix it it alright. A chunk broke off, kept the thermostat from opening and it overheated, by the time I could get off the highway in San Diego to a place it was safe for me to be with my daughter the 413 was toasted.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/07/14 01:54 AM

Quote:

......gooped a ton of RTV on ...... a chunk broke off, kept the thermostat from opening and it overheated, by the time I could get off the highway in San Diego to a place it was safe for me to be with my daughter the 413 was toasted.

Wow

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/07/14 09:46 PM

Could you provide more info on bolts with nylon inserts. I am aware of such nuts, but never heard of such bolts

I did speak to a very knowledgeable lady in their industrial tech support department. She said that stainless was a difficult material. Said that their 243 blue product(this product is an upgrade from their standard blue 242 product which does a better job in a contaminated environment,,,read oily) had a problem with stainless and that the recently upgraded version has been improved so as to no longer requires primer step before applying 243 or 242. The primer is used to "etch" no n-compat metals so as to allow their products to so their job,,,,somewhat complex system,,,go to their website

Also she told me that locktite should be applied in bolt holes,,,not only on bolts when used in "blind" holes as air that is forced out blows locktite off bolt threads,,,,,somewhat hard to do when engine is in car and you are looking up trying to do this.

I too have arp bolts everywhere in my engine,,,,only the pan is causing issues,,,removing arp's flat washer, replacing with lock washer has helped but no home run

I have now ordered up a super performance gasket and a new set of mr. Gasket steel bolts. Not only are they not stainless, but also have serrations under the head,,,hopefully to help hold in place once torqued,,,although now am somewhat concerned that serrations may distort torque readings.

My experience suggests not to use arp bolts on oil pan,,,in particular with their included washers. Replace with lock or star washers if you insist to use. Locktite in this environment is suspect unless you have a perfectly sanitary bolt hole and bolt,,,and I would still only use 243,,,,hard to find but amazon has it.

Incidentally I did call arp tech support on this. Told the tech that I had torqued to 15 pounds. He axed what size bolts. I said 5 16ths. He said that was my problem, that I should tighten to 24 pounds. No manner my argument about oil pan distortion etc. he was not persuaded and told me that if I did not go 24 pounds that the bolts would always loosen

Draw your own conclusions on arp's official recommendation from their tech

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/07/14 09:53 PM

24 ft-lbs is way too high for an oil pan. You are either going to split a gasket or indent the pan flange doing that. I know SS does not work as well with lock tight but it does work some. That's why I went to the RED on the ARP bolts. If this doesn't hold, I may have to try the lock washer route as well...

I love the way those ARP bolts look but I have noticed that they love to loosen up anywhere.

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/07/14 10:28 PM

Quote:

Could you provide more info on bolts with nylon inserts. I am aware of such nuts, but never heard of such bolts

http://www.nylok.com/our-products/mechanical-locking--thread-sealing/blue-nylon-strip

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/07/14 11:08 PM

Quote:

24 ft-lbs is way too high for an oil pan. You are either going to split a gasket or indent the pan flange doing that. I know SS does not work as well with lock tight but it does work some. That's why I went to the RED on the ARP bolts. If this doesn't hold, I may have to try the lock washer route as well...

I love the way those ARP bolts look but I have noticed that they love to loosen up anywhere.

That is because they require more torque to be put into tension, to maintain the torque value

I know our oil pan gasket can handle that type of torque. However I would not recommend it with a stamped steel oil pan, just the fabricated aluminum pans with the thick solid rail
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/07/14 11:33 PM

I once had a circle track engine to work on, was built by Maurice Petty. It had the most amazing RTV like substance I have ever seen on anything holing the pan on and under the intake end rails.
I Swear...I thought about giving the engine back to the customer after working to get that pan off!! It was stronger than windshield sealer!! I have never ever seen anything like it before..If you glued a safe door shut with it you would Never be able to open it--Ever!
I inquired and was told that they lost a race one time over an oil leak and that he stated that would never happen again. I am here to tell you with the stuff they used there was NO need for pan bolts , and that is not a joke. We actually used a different oil pan as it was easier than getting that stuff off. I never found out exactly what it was --sort of silver looking

Re: How to Seal Oil Pan From Leaking FOREVER?? - 03/08/14 12:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.nylok.com/our-products/mechanical-locking--thread-sealing/blue-nylon-strip

Bookmarked. Looks a great solution.
© 2024 Moparts Forums