Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

I say who cares ? Sure as heck not me as I will never put a Chevy eng in a Mopar to start with. Thats because I like 60's and 70's muscle cars and the LS whatever you guys are talking about is not even in my vocabulary. Now the LS6 Chevell 454 is a nice 70 muscle car eng and I like it in a Chevy. Myself I dont like putting new modern engines in old 60's and 70's muscle cars. The guys that are into the new stuff including that LS whatever eng then good for them but not me. If I see a 69 Camaro with a new modern GM eng at the track or a car show I dont even look at it. Ron

Ron I agree, but we're dinosaurs. I grew up with Mopars, my Uncles had them. Plus in the late 70's they could be bought cheap. But what about now? Honestly, if you were young with limited funds and bit by the go fast bug could you afford Mopars? You can buy a 80-90's Camaro for almost nothing. Add a junk yard LS, a turbo and go fast cheap! Plus there are a ton of aftermarket parts for them. How about the new Hemi? How many aftermarket blocks have you seen? Heads? Intakes?Engine controllers? You get my point.

Please don't take me wrong, I love my Mopars and have NEVER owned a GM. But.....if I were starting over with nothing and wanted to go fast it probably wouldn't be a Mopar. I wouldn't be able to afford them.

I agree as you are right and I wont disagree that I am an old dinosaur. But I love what I grew up with and the era I consider to be lucky to have grown up in. I dont blame young kids today for building and driving what they can afford as thats basically what we did. I am glad some young ones like my son have access to older Mopars and the parts to build one pretty cheap. I have a fair amount of parts around for our older Mopars but my brother has 10 times what I have and I try to get as many of the youngsters in my family and friends to be around them and help them try to keep them alive with the younger crowd. Heck even my youngest had an SRT4 Neon as he liked it because he was growing up in this era and his friends had some. I helped him put it in the 12's but I am glad my older boy still has my old 11 second Dart and plans to keep it even though he just got married.

But I know I am stuck in the 60's and 70's when it comes to my hot rods and always will be. I do respect what anyone likes and builds but to be honest I dont follow anything about the LS engines because they did not come in 60's muscle cars. That dont mean I dont respect them as I know many can spank me back to the 60's but I dont care. I will say if I did get interest to build a new Hemi I would put it in a newer car as I just cant get into modern engines in old muscle cars. Thats just me but I understand to each his (or her) own. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 01/19/14 04:22 AM.
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: 383man] #1565091
01/19/14 08:24 AM
01/19/14 08:24 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I'm building a 420" gen III as we speak. Plenty of crank,rod and piston choices for them. I'm done making excuses. The LS7 is a cnc'd head from the factory, you put it up against a cnc'd Apache or even 6.1 head and it is behind. The main advantage an LS guy has is cheapness and aluminum blocks for weight savings. Other than that they can keep them.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1565092
01/19/14 10:35 AM
01/19/14 10:35 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I say who cares ? Sure as heck not me as I will never put a Chevy eng in a Mopar to start with. Thats because I like 60's and 70's muscle cars and the LS whatever you guys are talking about is not even in my vocabulary. Now the LS6 Chevell 454 is a nice 70 muscle car eng and I like it in a Chevy. Myself I dont like putting new modern engines in old 60's and 70's muscle cars. The guys that are into the new stuff including that LS whatever eng then good for them but not me. If I see a 69 Camaro with a new modern GM eng at the track or a car show I dont even look at it. Ron

Ron I agree, but we're dinosaurs. I grew up with Mopars, my Uncles had them. Plus in the late 70's they could be bought cheap. But what about now? Honestly, if you were young with limited funds and bit by the go fast bug could you afford Mopars? You can buy a 80-90's Camaro for almost nothing. Add a junk yard LS, a turbo and go fast cheap! Plus there are a ton of aftermarket parts for them. How about the new Hemi? How many aftermarket blocks have you seen? Heads? Intakes?Engine controllers? You get my point.

Please don't take me wrong, I love my Mopars and have NEVER owned a GM. But.....if I were starting over with nothing and wanted to go fast it probably wouldn't be a Mopar. I wouldn't be able to afford them.

Your right.... a LOT of Mopar people have that
dinosaur mentality ... I'm all Mopar but to say I
would never put a modern hemi in a older car is down
right backwards... most of the dinosaur guys would
say... "it doesnt look right" BULL.. its just different..
if I find one its going into something that I own..
I might even pull that big heavy BB out of my 38 Ply
and put a new hemi in it with OD and all... Hell I'm
old and I still look at what goes fast and cheap is
a plus, so the new hemi does fall into that.. sure
you can start throwing bucks at it to go faster but
stock in a light car will stomp on MOST BB on the street

Keep in mind that mega squirt has a plug and play system that bolts to the factory sensors that will run a G3.
It even comes with a base tune. Not bad for 1800. Matt

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: Streetwize] #1565093
01/19/14 11:31 AM
01/19/14 11:31 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
This talk of what is the cheapest,,,some say they are going to take out their current motor and replace it with a G3/LS because it's 'cheaper'..?? If you leave the motor in that you have now= NO COST!! I think there are a LOT of people that want a G3, but don't want it to look like they are 'betraying' their past history as a Mopar person. I know it was hard for me to finally admit that the G3 is a much better power producer than the normal LA with budget heads/parts. In fact, I have been telling a lot of my local small block Chevy dirt track racers to start thinking into the future, and seriously look at the LS motors,,,they are coming.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: CHAPPER] #1565094
01/19/14 11:57 AM
01/19/14 11:57 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

This talk of what is the cheapest,,,some say they are going to take out their current motor and replace it with a G3/LS because it's 'cheaper'..?? If you leave the motor in that you have now= NO COST!! I think there are a LOT of people that want a G3, but don't want it to look like they are 'betraying' their past history as a Mopar person. I know it was hard for me to finally admit that the G3 is a much better power producer than the normal LA with budget heads/parts. In fact, I have been telling a lot of my local small block Chevy dirt track racers to start thinking into the future, and seriously look at the LS motors,,,they are coming.

Some dirt track forum has a thread about the LS Oiling issues. It refers to RPM.
Seems they have the same problem as the G3.
Matt

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: MattW] #1565095
01/19/14 01:54 PM
01/19/14 01:54 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Back in the early days engine swaps were common. Consider the current Gen of engines are the first "bottom up" designs since the late 50's/early 60's, it's not that surprising that they are more popular. As emission and fuel economy became important the old stuff was band-aided, and really poorly in many cases. Better heads finally came out in the 80s and better fuel control- i.e. TBI and EFI shortly afterward. Our old motors are the equivalent of the flathead Fords in the 50's. I wouldn't cross swap, but a 3rd Gen Hemi in an older car, Oh ya! Full EFI COP ign and all.

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: Skeptic] #1565096
01/19/14 04:09 PM
01/19/14 04:09 PM
North, Alabama
D-50 Offline
pro stock
D-50  Offline
pro stock

North, Alabama
I think I heard them say on horse power tv this morning that Harland Sharp is making rocker arms for the Gen 3 hemi. Is this new or have they been out for a while?

1.33 60 ft,6.21 at 110.59 in the 1/8, pump gas small block,2950lbs,drag radials,mufflers and driven to track ...
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: D-50] #1565097
01/19/14 05:03 PM
01/19/14 05:03 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

I think I heard them say on horse power tv this morning that Harland Sharp is making rocker arms for the Gen 3 hemi. Is this new or have they been out for a while?

They made them 4 years ago, and I have yet to see a set. Rumor is they were about $2k for a set....This whole Gen3 Hemi is really expensive. From the stroker kits to the ignition, to the valve train. More and more, I can build a big inch stump puller for a lot less. Notice the crappy hold downs too. The SDC ones are way better. Steff did it right..

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: Dragula] #1565098
01/19/14 05:32 PM
01/19/14 05:32 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

They made them 4 years ago, and I have yet to see a set. Rumor is they were about $2k for a set....This whole Gen3 Hemi is really expensive. From the stroker kits to the ignition, to the valve train. More and more, I can build a big inch stump puller for a lot less. Notice the crappy hold downs too. The SDC ones are way better. Steff did it right..

The geometry looks all wrong with the SDC rockers...
looks up way to high ... but since I havent measured it
I dont know for fact

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1565099
01/19/14 05:45 PM
01/19/14 05:45 PM
indiana
F
flatfoot Offline
flatfoot  Offline
F

indiana
i'd be more likely to put a mopar in a gm body.a 2nd gen camaro, or a g body.i don't like gm, but do like those body styles.and you can pick one up cheap, not all rusted out(like an a body), and make a fast drag car out of one.i'd rather have a 318 in a gm body than a ls in any mopar.but hey, that's me.i'm at the point where i have respect for any fast car, regardless of brand.but when it comes to building one, mine will be mopar powered, regardless of body style.and as mentioned, the money issue.i'd love to have a 358 cube former nascar engine with a manual trans, but it's the $$ issue holding me back.so i'm forced to use magnum 5.2 with a turbo, and home brew up a system.i'm not afraid of trying something new(turbo, or nitrous), and i'd love to have a hemi, but $$ again.to each his own.and i remember a mopar powered camaro from years ago who did quite well.

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: Dragula] #1565100
01/19/14 05:53 PM
01/19/14 05:53 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
No offense to the guys saying this because I understand your point, but to compare the disparity between the LS and Gen III Hemi engines vs B/RB engines (and any other popular performance engine from the musclecar era) to the disparity between the 60s performance engines and the flatheads is just plain stupid.

WOW, LS guys have heads that flow 400 cfm? So do we, why don't you go buy a pair and bolt them on? A company called Brodix makes them, maybe you've heard of them? Too expensive? Edelbrock makes a nice cheap head that can get there too with some serious work. And theres another company called Indy that makes good heads for us.

They have aftermarket blocks? Those bastards! But so do we. And the blocks that they have look more expensive than ours. Sorry guys, this is turning into a thread of guys who sit around and gripe about how good the LS engines are and how we get no support from the aftermarket. Maybe we don't have it the best but it's not that bad and its the best its ever been. They do it on the mustang forums too, I swear there are Ford guys who believe that the 98-02 F body LS1 cars ran 12.80s stock. Why even turn this into an LS1 vs Gen 3 Hemi deal when we can make very good power with a B/RB engine. Thats hardly a Flathead Ford complex.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 01/19/14 05:54 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1565101
01/19/14 05:56 PM
01/19/14 05:56 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Those look like OEM rockers with SDC hold downs...Either way, its more expensive than a G2 Hemi..

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: Dragula] #1565102
01/19/14 09:09 PM
01/19/14 09:09 PM
Burlington, Ontario Canada
Dave_S Offline
enthusiast
Dave_S  Offline
enthusiast

Burlington, Ontario Canada
When I had my Dart at the track the tech guy though my Gen3 Hemi was a LS motor!

Dave Stillie
'73 Swinger
5.7 Hemi, 88mm turbo, powerglide, cal-tracs & 8 3/4
Mega-Squirt EFI
[email]8.93@149
[/email]
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: GTX MATT] #1565103
01/19/14 09:21 PM
01/19/14 09:21 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

No offense to the guys saying this because I understand your point, but to compare the disparity between the LS and Gen III Hemi engines vs B/RB engines (and any other popular performance engine from the musclecar era) to the disparity between the 60s performance engines and the flatheads is just plain stupid.

WOW, LS guys have heads that flow 400 cfm? So do we, why don't you go buy a pair and bolt them on? A company called Brodix makes them, maybe you've heard of them? Too expensive? Edelbrock makes a nice cheap head that can get there too with some serious work. And theres another company called Indy that makes good heads for us.

They have aftermarket blocks? Those bastards! But so do we. And the blocks that they have look more expensive than ours. Sorry guys, this is turning into a thread of guys who sit around and gripe about how good the LS engines are and how we get no support from the aftermarket. Maybe we don't have it the best but it's not that bad and its the best its ever been. They do it on the mustang forums too, I swear there are Ford guys who believe that the 98-02 F body LS1 cars ran 12.80s stock. Why even turn this into an LS1 vs Gen 3 Hemi deal when we can make very good power with a B/RB engine. Thats hardly a Flathead Ford complex.

nobody said BB mopes don't make power, can a BB make 650hp with stock rockers,lifters, OEM head castings,OEM intake and run great on pump gas? Can it do it without a distributor? Haha nope......

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: Streetwize] #1565104
01/19/14 10:39 PM
01/19/14 10:39 PM
Utah
topbrent Offline
super stock
topbrent  Offline
super stock

Utah
Ignorance isn't a virtue.

Plenty of ignorance to go around on both sides of the table. New tech vs legacy old school brand loyal.

While nobody likes to have some jerk tell them their stuff is archaic and doesn't work, there are plenty of traditionalists in the Mopar world that just have their heads stuffed in the sand or elsewhere. The traditionalists are every bit as ignorant and rude when the topic arises.

Hotrodding is expensive. Engine swaps are part of hotrodding. Don't be angry about innovation.

Moreover, in this economic day and age, be happy to see any old car get running regardless of the powerplant. More and more formerly vintage only guys are choosing to just abandon their old non-operational relic in the garage to just buy a new/used Challenger, Camaro, or Mustang. The the price of entry for these cars is now no longer out of the financial reach for most people. 18K buys a heck of nice hot rod these days.

Though not a popular sentiment around these parts, the LS platform is great and it would be fun to have the swap friendly mentality, parts and tools for our benefit here in the Mopar realm.
(IMHO) There can/should be room enough for them in the Mopar world.

- The Dana 60 is stronger than the Mopar 8-3/4.
- Dodge trucks pull better with Cummins diesels.
- P-51 Mustangs flew better once the Rolls Royce Merlin replaced the Allison V12.
- The Colt M4 is a more useful weapon than a blunderbust.
- Mopar installs PowerGlide's and 9" Ford rears in their factory race Challengers.

Install the engine of your choice, traditional or modern, as it is a great era to build horsepower whatever your choice may be.

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: 72Swinger] #1565105
01/20/14 01:26 AM
01/20/14 01:26 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

nobody said BB mopes don't make power, can a BB make 650hp with stock rockers,lifters, OEM head castings,OEM intake and run great on pump gas? Can it do it without a distributor? Haha nope......

I haven't seen many 650 hp LS engines with stock intakes, rockers, lifters, and untouched heads. Unless you're talking about doing this with an LS7, in which case at that kind of price: Hemi. They're pretty tricked out when they're making that kind of power, just like any engine. The point is you can go as fast or faster, its in no way comparable to a flat head Ford.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: GTX MATT] #1565106
01/20/14 06:07 AM
01/20/14 06:07 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

I have seen this arguement a million times.

Fact is the GEN 3 and the LS motors using stock parts can make about the same power for the same price +/- 10%. usally up around 500-600hp

Step over 600hp and you will have to have some Other than Stock parts,. Be they full aftermarket parts or MODIFIED heavily stock parts.

Want to go past 650hp, better get the wallet/credit-card etc out. It's gonna cost you. This is about the point that the field as far as HP to $$$$ starts to even out.

I have considered and compared LA vs GEN3 & Gen 2 Hemi vs R3/W8,9 vs LS vs Ford.

Upto 500-600 LS and Ford Modular are the cheapest and easiest readily available 2 options. Gen 3 5.7L hemis are starting to catch up in the $$$$$.

Go over 600hp and the $$$$$ gap reduces very quick.

Over 750hp and that gap is at a point that if your complaining about the $$$$ you shouldn't be building to that level.

First thing that comes out of many LS peoples mouth when I mention BIG HEADs. Is the Mozez heads. Want to see a Deal Breaker. $4999.95 BARE!

And they only flow about 20-25cfm better than the W9-RPs I have, that cost me $4200 compelete and ready to go.

IF it were me and I was shooting for 400-500hp: Gen3 Hemi in a Mopar. Ls in a Chevy or Ford. Just too easy, less head aches.

I have a 2 Magnum Motors as well as an R3/W9-RP and they are both equally a Pain the Rear to find parts for some times and when said parts are found can be pricey. Just because they are getting dated and scarce. Only reason I haven't scrapped the Magnum Motors is all the re-wire and fab to make a Hemi and It's transmission FIT. I just don't have time at home to get it done.

Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: GTX MATT] #1565107
01/20/14 08:05 AM
01/20/14 08:05 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't seen many 650 hp LS engines with stock intakes, rockers, lifters, and untouched heads. Unless you're talking about doing this with an LS7, in which case at that kind of price: Hemi. They're pretty tricked out when they're making that kind of power, just like any engine. The point is you can go as fast or faster, its in no way comparable to a flat head Ford.

I wasn't using an LS as a comparison, I was talking Gen III Hemi. Honestly the LS has nothing on a Gen III when it comes to making hp N/A with factory parts. An LS can HANDLE more power under boost with factory parts. When you can get in the 365cfm at .600 lift range with stock valves and a $700 port job what's not to like? Gen III Hemis are a jewel that we need to embrace.

Last edited by 72Swinger; 01/20/14 08:09 AM.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: 72Swinger] #1565108
01/20/14 04:53 PM
01/20/14 04:53 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Some of you guys need to go price this stuff.
An ls 7 is about 13000 for just the engine, an
Ls3 or 6.2 is about 9000, just the engine.
Chrysler sells the 6.1 for 9000 with everything
you need to make it run except the fuel pump.
I think you can buy just the 6.1 for around 7500.
Mopar looks cheaper to me if you start with
new stuff.

Last edited by 4406bbl; 01/20/14 05:31 PM.
Re: Hearing this more and more.... [Re: 4406bbl] #1565109
01/21/14 07:32 AM
01/21/14 07:32 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Some of you guys need to go price this stuff.
An ls 7 is about 13000 for just the engine, an
Ls3 or 6.2 is about 9000, just the engine.
Chrysler sells the 6.1 for 9000 with everything
you need to make it run except the fuel pump.
I think you can buy just the 6.1 for around 7500.
Mopar looks cheaper to me if you start with
new stuff.

This is what has me Turned off with Junk Yards as well. $6000+ for a 6.1l Hemi that has 20-60K miles and no computer or accessories. Hello spend an extra grand or 2 and get all NEW with Computer and Accessories from Ma Mopar.

On the flip side the 5.7l Hemis are pretty affordable from the scrappers. Just talked to someone last week that Bought 2 for $1200 total. One had 12,000 miles and the other about 80,000 miles. Included all accessories.

That would be the way to go if you know your going to go through it and build it YOUR WAY.

Unfortunately from what I am hearing the Hemi Blocks and Heads NEW are (if not already) drying up fast with NO Intentions of supplying more by Mopar. If this is true? and you want NEW better break out the Benjamins, for an Aluminum Block. $4500+ last I checked.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4