Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
Quote:

Quote:

Also, I dont have a manual but will look in the teck sections for the one someone said they printed off. For a 71 B body with A/C, how many harnessess am I looking at needing? What are they?

Thanks
roe

Not sure on a 71, but on 70-back you have the bulk head, up front you have the wiper harness, engine harness, light harness, starter relay and assoiated wires, under dash harness, steering column harness with fuze box, then you have the harness that runs things like dome light, console lights, and harness to the rear.
Why do you want to replace yours? Is it messing up?

I think mainly because I have added upgrades like a stereo system, alarm, electric fans, will be adding electric fuel pump, and want to put headlights on a relay. I also have the mid 80's IIRC alternator that is higher output than stock. I do have the amplifier and the electric fans running directly off the alternator though. I dont like the mess that I see under the dash.

I guess I'd be happy with redoing just the underdash portion, and then making the performance upgrades like running the solid wire thru the bulkhead for the main power wire.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: roe] #1529390
11/07/13 12:47 PM
11/07/13 12:47 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Quote:

But I've tried looking at the circuit diagrams when I read other posts on the subject, and that crap confuses me.

Understandable. Think of electricity like water it flows along the wires in the diagram. it has to flow from one side of the battery to the other or it doesn't flow at all. For some people that helps make sense. The wires in the diagram are labeled with something like V3-18DBL* or BLK/W.
V3 is the number so you can trace it to the other end.
18DBL is 18 gauge, dark blue color
* is on wires with a stripe (Tracer) on them. No * means a solid color.
Those marked BLK/W are simply color codes and in this case is a black wire with white tracer stripe.
You get the idea, hope it helps.

Quote:

What I would be looking for is pretty much a full stock replacement with maybe a little larger wires than stock. (are the kits stock or larger than stock wire size?).

I am pretty sure the replacement kits are stock size wires to be correct for restoration purposes.

Quote:

Then I'd want a few upgrades like relays for: electric fans, A/C,. I have an alarm system and stereo system on it as well.

I would evaluate your stock harness first. Decide if your going to use existing wiring or replace then wire in the upgrades.

Quote:

Is it really as easy as ordering a couple of different harnesses and slowly going through everything?

In your case there will be engine, dash, front body, transmission, A/C, and rear body wiring harnesses. I believe I remember correctly.

In your case the front body and rear body (all your outside lights) may not be available because it's a 4 door and they may not make one if they are different than the popular to restore 2 doors.

The only hard part of replacing the stock harness is the dash. You can replace it in the car by removing the cluster but it is much easier to pull the dash.

I can pull the dash in about 1/2 an hour but I have done dozens of them. Take your time and it will be out in about an hour maybe two if you get a sandwich break and it saves lots of work in the long run.

Quote:

I would feel a lot more comfortable about doing it myself if I had someone who knows electrical to help me through it.

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd help. Maybe somebody close to you can lend a hand.

Can you post pick of the problem spots you are worried about in your harness?

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: roe] #1529391
11/07/13 02:47 PM
11/07/13 02:47 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

Is it really as easy as ordering a couple of different harnesses and slowly going through everything? I would feel a lot more comfortable about doing it myself if I had someone who knows electrical to help me through it.

Tracing circuits through the diagrams in the FSM is good exercise fer yer eyeballs...

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: RSNOMO] #1529392
11/07/13 03:02 PM
11/07/13 03:02 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
Roe,
I was hesitant to do wiring myself. Thing is, I do as much of my own work as possible. I had bad luck with mechanics when I started driving. So I figured if they can do it, so can I, and went to the library. It's easier now as you couldn't take the books out of the library. I soon learned I could save a LOT of money by doing things myself. I have learned a bit from trial and error. Just do one thing at a time and pay attention to what you are doing. Take notes if it helps. The work you have done so far tells me you can do it.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: IMGTX] #1529393
11/07/13 03:25 PM
11/07/13 03:25 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
Quote:

Quote:

But I've tried looking at the circuit diagrams when I read other posts on the subject, and that crap confuses me.

Understandable. Think of electricity like water it flows along the wires in the diagram. it has to flow from one side of the battery to the other or it doesn't flow at all. For some people that helps make sense. The wires in the diagram are labeled with something like V3-18DBL* or BLK/W.
V3 is the number so you can trace it to the other end.
18DBL is 18 gauge, dark blue color
* is on wires with a stripe (Tracer) on them. No * means a solid color.
Those marked BLK/W are simply color codes and in this case is a black wire with white tracer stripe.
You get the idea, hope it helps.

That does help. Thanks. Also, if it will help you guys point me in the right direction, I will tell you guys everything I have done, and plan on doing.

Im not really concered with the rear harness or the headlights/side marker lights, dome light, fender mounted turn signals. With the exception of faulty headlight switch that just went on the fritz, it all works fine, even the floor mounted toggle for bright/dim. I'll be changeing the headlight switch out.

Have done:
-2 OEM electric fans from the j/y that run off of a relay and battery power
-heavy guage wire from alt to battery
-Alternator upgrade to 65amp version
-Stereo system with flip out screen/1000watt kenwood amp and 2 12" subs in the trunk, 2 6x9's, 2 6.5"
-Amplifier hooked up to positive side of battery
-installed voltmeter
-Car alarm
-guages(oil pressure, water temp, rpm, voltmeter) set wired into the dimmer switch
-clean di-elect grease all bulkhead connections

Plan to do
-new roller magnum based 408 stroker (currently being built)
-keep pertronix ignition in parts house dizzy
-install electric fuelpump
-install relay for headlights (do I need to since they arent dim after the wire from alternator to battery)
-replace main power wire at bulkhead connection with solid wire straight through.
-get A/C and heat functional
-maybe install power locks on front doors

I think a lot of the wiring under hood is needing replaced. Its old and brittle after years of heat cycling. But most of the rest of the car is still going strong. No issues to speak of. What would you guys recommend?

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: bboogieart] #1529394
11/07/13 03:30 PM
11/07/13 03:30 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
Quote:

Roe,
I was hesitant to do wiring myself. Thing is, I do as much of my own work as possible. I had bad luck with mechanics when I started driving. So I figured if they can do it, so can I, and went to the library. It's easier now as you couldn't take the books out of the library. I soon learned I could save a LOT of money by doing things myself. I have learned a bit from trial and error. Just do one thing at a time and pay attention to what you are doing. Take notes if it helps. The work you have done so far tells me you can do it.

Yeah, Im the same way with mechanical stuff, total confidence there. But the wiring stuff scares me. Im getting a little more confident though, now that you guys who felt the same as me are telling me that you did your own wiring. Maybe I'll order the engine harness and the dash harness and have at it. While the dash is out would be a good time to replace the heater core and blower motor...

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: roe] #1529395
11/07/13 04:37 PM
11/07/13 04:37 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

Quote:

Roe,
While the dash is out would be a good time to replace the heater core and blower motor...

Rad shop can check-out yer heater core...Might be OK...

Pulled both my heater blower motor, and wiper-motor down and inspected...

Both were OK...And 20+ years later, they both still live...

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: RSNOMO] #1529396
11/07/13 07:04 PM
11/07/13 07:04 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Speal chuck Rosey .. It is spaeled yurr !

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: dOrk !] #1529397
11/07/13 07:29 PM
11/07/13 07:29 PM
Gone Away
P
pink68 Offline
pro stock
pink68  Offline
pro stock
P

Gone Away
Do it yourself. I just rewired the entire front end of a 70 Cuda with M&H harnesses from year one. The harnesses for the entire front end (bulkhead forward) were $350 after 30%off discounts which YO seems to be running non-stop right now. This also inlcuded the "inside dash" AC harness which I haven't done yet. I am thinking about buying the inside dash harness and rear taillight harness just to finish the job. The dash part is more difficult but the engine side was very very simple.

Jim

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: pink68] #1529398
11/07/13 08:59 PM
11/07/13 08:59 PM
South Carolina
C
carhunter Offline
enthusiast
carhunter  Offline
enthusiast
C

South Carolina

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: carhunter] #1529399
11/07/13 11:42 PM
11/07/13 11:42 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was spooked of wiring until I did my first wiring job. Just like a flowchart. Do one circuit, then another. Before too long, you're done. Just break it down into many small jobs, not one giant job. The giant job is intimidating.

If I can do this, anyone can.

7916120-DSC00251.JPG (162 downloads)
Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: carhunter] #1529400
11/07/13 11:53 PM
11/07/13 11:53 PM
Eastern shore, New England
R
roadrunner69s Offline
pro stock
roadrunner69s  Offline
pro stock
R

Eastern shore, New England
Wiring scared me too. For years I would never do anything but an engine bay wiring harness. But then my ignition wire fried through the firewall and under the dash. It was either have someone do this for me for who knows how much money or figure it out. I figured to do it right, get rid of the entire 30 yr old harness. Why leave other weak links behind?

I had a wiring diagram already. Bought a Dash Harness from a repro shop that was exactly like the orig for $650. New engine harness was around $100. I spent 3-4 hours per night over the next week slowly pulling out the harness and taping/labeling both ends. Then I laid out the new harness and taped it up for installation. It took a week and about 20 hours. But I figured it out and became quite good at reading the wiring schematic in the end. It's only DC power after all with 2 wires per component. The only issue I had was with the main connector plug into the firewall. I got my mechanic to come over and help me out for 30 minutes on that. I didn't do anything inside the steering column though...just up to the horn relay and blinkers. The cause of my "fry" job was some poor soldering some bozo did on the ignition wire as it entered the main plug. They could have properly replaced the wire instead of trying to solder weak strands together. The solder cracked and formed a high resistance connection....then came smoke and fire.

In the end I was sort of surprised how technically simple the task was. It was just very time consuming and required attention to detail. I was a lot younger, more flexible, and with better vision when I did that job. Would be a lot more time consuming today. Doing the mods you suggested raises it to another level.

Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: roadrunner69s] #1529401
11/09/13 07:55 PM
11/09/13 07:55 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Whatever you do, make sure you have quality wire installed. Under no circumstances do you want PVC insulation in your car. Puts off deadly poisonous gases when burns.

You want a true automotive wire with at minimum XLPE insulation. You can get better aircraft wire, but I don't believe it is necessary.

This is what I recommend. Its affordable and a reasonable choice......

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/WX16-9/16GA-SXL-WHITE-AUTOMOTIVE/

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: How much $$$ to rewire a car? [Re: VS29H0B] #1529402
11/09/13 08:50 PM
11/09/13 08:50 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

that'd sure be a labor intensive deal. I'd see if you could find a local Mopar head that you trust & are comfortable with & work a deal with him to take care of it

I agree with this recommendation. This may not be that convenient, but ChallengerGary on this board is south of you and does excellent work at about $25/30 hour. He may be able to do this at a reasonable price. PM him, and even if he declines, ask if he can recommend someone.

if you can find someone for double that it would still be a smokin deal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2