09/28/13 04:57 PM
09/28/13 04:57 PM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline OP
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline OP
master

Northern Indiana
I have been looking into a few options for CNC ported aluminum heads to offer customers. I have a few questions for you guys to kind of steer me n a direction
If you were looking for,say a standard port small block head that had been CNC ported,what would sway you one way or another? If a casting were from a USA based company and flow numbers were the same or similar to an imported casting but the cost was higher,which would you choose???
If I offered USA based castings,but the flow numbers were slightly less than an advertisement showed for somebody else's foreign based casting but cost less which way would you go ?
If I offered a similar foreign based casting with some flow numbers that were less than someone else advertised,but were significantly less expensive,would that be your choice ??
Basically,is cost,advertised flow numbers,,or country of origin you main priority? Keep in mind that all flow benches read a little different . And most advertised numbers tend to be generous.
Thanks for any real opinions,but please don't just jump on an anti Chinese bandwagon if you have no interest in the main subject here.
Keith

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509098
09/28/13 05:37 PM
09/28/13 05:37 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Since you are trying to gauge the market, how about listing the current products and target use for each?
I guess you shouldn't include names of the heads or vendors to avoid a

However, any input for intended RPM, size, and typical use would help define the markets and narrow what people want/need.
EXAMPLE:

340-360 max RPM 5500, street (do you even need ported aftermarket heads?)
340-360 max RPM 7000, street/strip
340-360 Strip only

Stroker (400-420) max RPM 5500, street
Stroker (400-420) max RPM 7000, street/strip
Stroker (400-420) Strip only

Bigger stroke, more RPM

Also lay out what valvetrain requirements are needed for each proposed head, so full cost can be considered. An economical head that requires space program priced cam/lifters/pushrods/rockers/springs is not a bargain.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509099
09/28/13 06:01 PM
09/28/13 06:01 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I have been looking into a few options for CNC ported aluminum heads to offer customers. I have a few questions for you guys to kind of steer me n a direction
If you were looking for,say a standard port small block head that had been CNC ported,what would sway you one way or another? If a casting were from a USA based company and flow numbers were the same or similar to an imported casting but the cost was higher,which would you choose???
If I offered USA based castings,but the flow numbers were slightly less than an advertisement showed for somebody else's foreign based casting but cost less which way would you go ?
If I offered a similar foreign based casting with some flow numbers that were less than someone else advertised,but were significantly less expensive,would that be your choice ??
Basically,is cost,advertised flow numbers,,or country of origin you main priority? Keep in mind that all flow benches read a little different . And most advertised numbers tend to be generous.
Thanks for any real opinions,but please don't just jump on an anti Chinese bandwagon if you have no interest in the main subject here.
Keith

Just went throughnt his scenario and ended up buying a set of CNC ported Edelbrock magnums from Hughes. Why you ask? Edelbrock is a reputable US company. Hughes is a reputable US company that I have used in the past - and got to deal directly with Dave - what a treat! Probably paid a little more than some others for the comfort level. I was able to use some of my existing Magnum valve train / head studs over again. Their stated flow #'s were with in 10% of the highest and lowest #'s available for this style head. I knew who cast the heads and aluminum used in their castings was a known quantity - not that I am a metallurgist . Options available included inserted LA intake manifold bolt pattern.

Fastest 300
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509100
09/28/13 06:25 PM
09/28/13 06:25 PM
River Falls, WI
urdustd Offline
mopar
urdustd  Offline
mopar

River Falls, WI
I'll probably be flamed for this, but here is my $0.02...

Most people want the lowest cost, followed by flow numbers and country of origin is the least concern.

Real racers will want the highest flowing heads, but don't care much about standard port, with cost and country of origin as secondary.

There will be a few that honestly want a made in USA part, but are not necessarily the majority.

I like to have US made parts, but it's not an absolute requirement for me, although my Mopar happens to be...

Most people have a strict budget and spend their money accordingly.

Good luck with this idea!

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: urdustd] #1509101
09/28/13 06:31 PM
09/28/13 06:31 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

please no more chinese

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509102
09/28/13 06:40 PM
09/28/13 06:40 PM
tn
R
robnbird Offline
super stock
robnbird  Offline
super stock
R

tn
Quote:

Keith

you could look at the boarded up windows in Detroit for some answers. If we had racers who could afford to race they would prefer American quality... welfare check can't buy very many parts these days.

Last edited by robnbird; 09/28/13 06:42 PM.
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509103
09/28/13 07:48 PM
09/28/13 07:48 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
I would like to know the velocity or port volume along with port flow. Oversized, low velocity heads can be an issue at high altitude. I would prefer a USA made head IF it is better quality. Currently, I am not happy with the "quality" of my Edelbrock Victor heads. The quality of my B1bs Brodix heads is way better.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: 451Mopar] #1509104
09/28/13 08:36 PM
09/28/13 08:36 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I would like to know the velocity or port volume along with port flow. Oversized, low velocity heads can be an issue at high altitude. I would prefer a USA made head IF it is better quality. Currently, I am not happy with the "quality" of my Edelbrock Victor heads. The quality of my B1bs Brodix heads is way better.

Some good points made here about the almighty flow number being the major deciding factor on head purchases - and I am as guilty as most. One thing Hughes does is equate their different heads to what HP they will support - a step in the right direction and a good way to keep it simple for us simpletons . When it comes to blown applications, not a lot of head / HP info out there. If the $ are in the ball park, I will support American made stuff every time, although determining that is becoming pretty "gray" these days.

Fastest 300
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: RodStRace] #1509105
09/28/13 10:02 PM
09/28/13 10:02 PM
Northern Indiana
master
master

Northern Indiana
Basically what I am considering offering will be Edelbrock castings for small and big block both. The problems I am looking into are competitive pricing compared to imported castings with a similar level of work. There are some decent quality imported castings which look to be direct copies of Edelbrock heads as far as appearance goes. The other issues come from several places that advertise flow numbers that are not being seen on any one else's bench. I know of a few. I would plan on listing fairly realistic flow numbers,possibly runner cc's etc. Depending on what people want.
I may just buy imported heads and call them my "Quicktree Special"

Keith

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Crizila] #1509106
09/28/13 10:09 PM
09/28/13 10:09 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
fed Offline
mopar
fed  Offline
mopar

Stockholm, Sweden
Hp /$ That wats counts American made or not.

Cuda, -70
Valiant-65 AWB,
Valiant Signet200 -65 Topchopped dragcar.
Topolino Fuel Altered.
NostalgiaFED Sold,
SuperComp Bantam Altered, Sold
Ex Harlan Thompsons Nitro funny car American Graffiti Sold,
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509107
09/28/13 10:13 PM
09/28/13 10:13 PM
N.W. Indiana
DblOJoe Offline
mopar
DblOJoe  Offline
mopar

N.W. Indiana
Just when I was getting satisfied with my car.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: DblOJoe] #1509108
09/28/13 10:20 PM
09/28/13 10:20 PM
Northern Indiana
master
master

Northern Indiana
Joe,you can never have enough horsepower!!
Keith

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509109
09/28/13 10:25 PM
09/28/13 10:25 PM
Baltimore/Denver
64Post Offline
master
64Post  Offline
master

Baltimore/Denver
Quote:

Keith

And you can include a free pinion angle set-up chart with with each sale.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: 64Post] #1509110
09/28/13 10:31 PM
09/28/13 10:31 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

Keith

Kevin

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509111
09/28/13 11:14 PM
09/28/13 11:14 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Basically what I am considering offering will be Edelbrock castings for small and big block both. The problems I am looking into are competitive pricing compared to imported castings with a similar level of work. There are some decent quality imported castings which look to be direct copies of Edelbrock heads as far as appearance goes. The other issues come from several places that advertise flow numbers that are not being seen on any one else's bench. I know of a few. I would plan on listing fairly realistic flow numbers,possibly runner cc's etc. Depending on what people want.

Keith

nice

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: 64Post] #1509112
09/28/13 11:15 PM
09/28/13 11:15 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

if he did they still wouldn't understand

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509113
09/28/13 11:55 PM
09/28/13 11:55 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Keith

Decent quality and fairly realistic flow numbers? Can't relate to those terms. Same material as the Edelbrocks? Have you sliced and diced a few up for an actual thickness comparisons? The price disparity is ether a labor issue or a quality issue - and often both. All you can do is post honest flow numbers as you see them on your bench. Making "happy" #'s will bit you in the end. I have the flow numbers that Hughes has posted for the heads I purchased and I plan on having the heads flowed by another shop just to see. My personal tolerance is 3% from advertised - and about 1/2 that between holes if they were CNC'd. Do all you can to check the import quality. Honesty is always the best policy - in the long run.

Fastest 300
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Crizila] #1509114
09/29/13 12:19 AM
09/29/13 12:19 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Modern Muscle does cnc porting of your Gen III hemi heads. They have a deal where you strip your heads, get them cleaned and then send them to them. They will run their program on them for $599.99 and ship them back. That is a good deal in my book for most of us tight a$$ Mopar folks in my book. Then you can have your local guy, or you, do the valve job and assemble.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509115
09/29/13 12:35 AM
09/29/13 12:35 AM
Louisiana
B
Bignick Offline
Bignick  Offline
B

Louisiana
My concern would be flow numbers then price then origin. From all I've seen and heard of the Eddy copies are decent quality castings. Most have said valve seats aren't the greatest of quality but can be fixed. I'm a racer and we really don't have a "cheap" option like the bowtie and furd guys. If someone would put out a reasonably priced ported standard head they would sell thousands of sets. And without saying any names the current heads with outstanding #'s that no one can achieve are unattainable. No matter how many emails and phone calls I put in. And IMO those heads aren't reasonably priced either. These heads should be priced @ less than 2K. Then add options like Roller springs, titanium retainers, hollow stem valves. Because if your gonna spend $3000-$3500 why not buy Indy or W series? All this said I own Eddy heads and I do like to buy American but that's just not in my budget.

70 Duster 422"eddy head smallblock, PTC built 904, PTC 8" conveter, Dana 60 4.56 gear
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Bignick] #1509116
09/29/13 01:22 AM
09/29/13 01:22 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
For me it is flow/power potential, then cost, with where they are being made last priority...Sure I prefer to buy domestic products over foreign, BUT, if the heads are being bought bare overseas and the CNC work and setting them up is done here, that is enough to assure me the quality is up to snuff.

As for flow numbers, I agree that they should not be the only selling point for heads as is often used....What I really think it missing in the SB mopar world is a set of heads (or more than one set from different manufacturers like the ford and chevy guys have), that is affordable, supports good performance and is not an all out race piece in terms of price and performance.

That said, these new foreign heads that have hit our sb market really seem to be advertised as a great product, but im not sure the performance matches with so little people able to get their hands on them, and then some reporting they don't flow what they should on a bench...really makes you wonder who you can trust.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: mshred] #1509117
09/29/13 06:50 AM
09/29/13 06:50 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

guys here is what happens, an American company does all the research and testing to bring a product to you. then someone sends them over seas to be copied.you buy those and eventually put that company out of business. in the end you end up with a bunch of chinese crap and no more American companies.then blame it on someone else.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Quicktree] #1509118
09/29/13 07:25 AM
09/29/13 07:25 AM
Great Lakes Region
A
abodiesonly1 Offline
mopar
abodiesonly1  Offline
mopar
A

Great Lakes Region
Quote:

guys here is what happens, an American company does all the research and testing to bring a product to you. then someone sends them over seas to be copied.you buy those and eventually put that company out of business. in the end you end up with a bunch of chinese crap and no more American companies.then blame it on someone else.

Beating a dead horse! There isnt one person on this board who doesnt own something chinese made or at least imported. Fact of the matter is, if you want to keep your doors open for more than a year you better offer something the majority can afford.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509119
09/29/13 11:33 AM
09/29/13 11:33 AM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
A couple of thoughts/comments about this. First as you've noted Edelbrock is currently the only domestic manufacturer of standard port small block heads so if you want to start with a "made in the USA" product then Eddys are your only small block choice. Big blocks are a different story since Indy has a broader line up than Edelbrock currently has for big blocks. Edelbrock has established a fairly good reputation for casting quality, overseas made products are likely to be more problematic. Not necessarily bad, just not as well known. As for pricing I have a set of Indybrocks that are in near OOTB condition and I inquired at the March Indy show a couple of years ago what Indy would charge to take my heads and run them through their CNC program. The idea was that I would give them my bare heads and they would only do the CNC program, no valve job or anything else. At that time I was quoted a price of $750.00. I don't know if that price would still hold. I would think that a CNC program that works on standard small block Eddys could be adapted to Indybrocks fairly easily.

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1509120
09/29/13 12:43 PM
09/29/13 12:43 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
I'll avoid the whole ethics issue of import castings which are simply "clones" of domestic R&D efforts and, instead, suggest STRONGLY that any initiative on your part based on using import castings needs to start with a thorough inspection & evaluation of those castings.

From what I've seen w/ the Pr*c*mp BB Victor "clone" casting I've posted about recently (porting work I've done while using one as a substitute for an actual Edelbrock casting), it has some issues that are not going to be "fixed" by simply applying a CNC porting program to it. I can't speak to the quality of the casting material / metalurgy(sp?), which might be perfectly acceptable, nor the reliability of the valve seat installation from the manufacturer, if replacing them is not part of the plan.

As far as what influences my own cylinder head purchases, I DO take into account the origin and general reputation for QC and/or known issues before even considering the advertised flow #s, runner volumes, etc. I may be in the minority based on the folks who post about budget concerns driving everything.

If they're only offered as a "one size fits all" version, having proven dyno & track results for typical combinations applicable to those heads would be extremely helpful in gauging their effectiveness, as opposed to being sold simply on the merits of their flowbench results.

If you're not able to offer a product that is filling a void in the market and are simply providing "just another ported head", IMO your success will be tied to marketing (e.g. advertised flow #s, regardless of other pertinent aspects of the head's design) and / or price, since some people seem unable to look beyond the initial purchase price, regardless of what the long-term cost-of-ownership implications are (e.g. paying additional $ to fix flaws, reliability issues that arise that result in additional repair expenses, etc).

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: BradH] #1509121
09/29/13 01:41 PM
09/29/13 01:41 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

" long-term cost-of-ownership implications are (e.g. paying additional $ to fix flaws, reliability issues that arise that result in additional repair expenses, etc)."

- and those long term costs can be big $ if the head related failures involve more than just the heads, as they often do.

Fastest 300
Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Crizila] #1509122
09/29/13 02:27 PM
09/29/13 02:27 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
All these companies are at a big stand still right now. I talked to the guys at Trick Flow and we were throwing some suggestion at them and they were all ears. Brian said he talked to them too but i don't see them moving on a project like this till the economy straightens out.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: CNC ported aluminum heads [Re: Crizila] #1509123
09/29/13 02:29 PM
09/29/13 02:29 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
casting quality ranks pretty high on my list since one of my "MADE IN THE USA" W5 heads couldn't be repaired due to the poor quality aluminum they used. Purchase heads, get cnc port job, buy smaller stem lighter valves, springs, runs the number..... leaks. wheel chocks anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2