05/06/13 08:29 PM
05/06/13 08:29 PM
central P.A.
HEMIDOG 70 Offline OP
top fuel
HEMIDOG 70  Offline OP
top fuel

central P.A.
I have been trouble with my charging system. I have a 528 hemi with an Evans hemi engine harness. I'm using the brown wire that is for the factory idol solenoid to power the electric choke on my edelbrock carb could this be a problem? The car stopped charging after a little hard acceleration. It only showed 12.3 volts at the alternator stud and discharged badly with lights on. So I changed alternators for another rebuilt one and it worked good for 50 mi or so. Another rip threw the gears and no charge again. the first one only lasted a couple hundred miles are these rebuilds junk? The belts and brackets are fine. after the second incident the car sat a few hours at a car show and charged when we left then 20 miles into return trip it started again barley charging turn the lights on and then big discharge. Right before the second incident after the blast through the gears I heard a pheeew sound when letting off the throttle could a brush have flew apart or something? The car has an MSD 6al powered direct from the battery and ballast resistor bypassed. Evans forward lamp harness and a mopar black resto voltage reg could a weak ground on the reg give me these fits?

Last edited by HEMIDOG 70; 05/06/13 08:34 PM.
Re: Help 70 e body electrical question. (long) [Re: HEMIDOG 70] #1431431
05/06/13 08:48 PM
05/06/13 08:48 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
With all lights/accessories OFF disconnect the field wires from the alt & at a fast idle jump 12V to either alt male field terminal & jump the other male field terminal to ground for 3 seconds max (just long enough to take a voltage reading). That'll tell you if the alt is OK. If good hook everything back up & see if the blue wire field circuit is hot at the alt and the reg. I'm assuming the brown wire you mentioned is a switched 12V? If so that wouldn't be an issue especially since it took awhile to act up. I run the blue field wire switched 12V to my Eddy elec choke also

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Help 70 e body electrical question. (long) [Re: HEMIDOG 70] #1431432
05/06/13 08:49 PM
05/06/13 08:49 PM
Morristown Tn.
71birdJ68 Offline
master
71birdJ68  Offline
master

Morristown Tn.
Pull all the connectors out of the large white connectors and check them against the wiring schematic in the SM(the correct wire in the correct slot), then look at the crimps for proper crimping.Evans quality control is non existent ,I have run into both problems with a hemi harness myself. Also if you have a factory oil pressure gage look in the book for a special resistance wire going from the sending unit to the harness,(only on Rally dash), Evans does not even know those things exist.But you can get one from Frank Baldason ( may not be spelled right).Other than that I can't help.Check everything that you bought from Evans.What I would do is if you find one thing wrong get your money back and buy one from Frank.

Re: Help 70 e body electrical question. (long) [Re: 71birdJ68] #1431433
05/06/13 09:01 PM
05/06/13 09:01 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Good checks mentioned above. Also worth adding a ground wire to the VR case. Scraping a little paint off near the mounting screw works well.

If you do find the alternator is fubar then yes there have been lots of problems with reman squarebacks. Also you may be overspeeding the alternator if you are winding the engine up with a standard crank pulley (7" or a bit bigger). Somewhere around 15,000 to 18,000 RPM is redline. Depending on pulley ratio you may be exceeding that. A smaller crank pulley or bigger alternator pulley will slow it down and also reduce idle output. Depending on electrical needs, you may need a better alternator.

Re: Help 70 e body electrical question. (long) [Re: 71birdJ68] #1431434
05/06/13 09:29 PM
05/06/13 09:29 PM
central P.A.
HEMIDOG 70 Offline OP
top fuel
HEMIDOG 70  Offline OP
top fuel

central P.A.
Quote:

Pull all the connectors out of the large white connectors and check them against the wiring schematic in the SM(the correct wire in the correct slot), then look at the crimps for proper crimping.Evans quality control is non existent ,I have run into both problems with a hemi harness myself. Also if you have a factory oil pressure gage look in the book for a special resistance wire going from the sending unit to the harness,(only on Rally dash), Evans does not even know those things exist.But you can get one from Frank Baldason ( may not be spelled right).Other than that I can't help.Check everything that you bought from Evans.What I would do is if you find one thing wrong get your money back and buy one from Frank.

Funny you mention this. My forward lamp harness would not plug in correctly we looked and finally found the high beam wire was not clipped in the connector correctly. We pulled the wire turned it over re installed and it plugged right in. As for the rallye oil pressure gauge it gave me some fits too and scared the heck out of me when the pressure gauge went to 0 Fri evening. Turned out to be a bad connection on the sender. The gauge is near pegged most of the time I figured it was due to the hv oil pump. I have Mopar Performance aftermarket gauges to install just want every thing sorted out before I add anything else in the mix.