04/22/13 08:14 PM
04/22/13 08:14 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
We all know that a torque converter is that thing bolts between the motor and the trans.. its round, heavy-ish and leaks trans fluid all over the front of your shirt when you pick it up.. But how do you figure out what you want.. or need before you purchase one?

We all pretty much know what stall and flash is.. we know its should match the peak torque of your motor.. however there seems to be a lot of discussion about being too loose.. or too tight.. or not consistent enough..

There's talk about having to send back the converter multiple times to have it adjusted.. because I can only assume it wasnt built right in the first place.. and I dont know about you all.. but pulling trans and paying shipping cost across the country is not my idea of fun..

And then there is 8" and 9" and 10" and turbo and blown fuel and lock up and non lock up.. Add to that.. all these internet posters that make claim their TC guy is better because he has picked them up .3 or 6 mph over someone else's brand..

So I turn to you wise old gentlemen for your advise.. I'm needing a converter and have selected ATI to buy from.. Talking with the guys on the phone, they recommended getting a 9" converter for my 727 trans.. What do I know.. I'm an electrician by trade, so I must trust these experts.. right?

Then speaking with a very knowledgeable and trust worthy racer.. He said unless they've developed some new technology.. he could never get a 9" work for his cars (which has close to or slightly more power than my bullet) and strongly recommends 8"..

This is my application..

3000 lbs Duster
727 with brake
572 max effort with approx 900-1000HP
456 rear gears and 32" tires
1/8th and 1/4 mile (race only, no street)
1150 Dom carb
N/A on race gas
cam card says
286/296 @ .050
112.5 LSA
.799 lift

So what do you guys think?

8" or 9"

Make it a little on the tight side to let the cubic inches pull it down the track.. or loosen it up and let the rpms fly?

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Jeepmon] #1423869
04/22/13 08:28 PM
04/22/13 08:28 PM
GO BUCKS !!!!!!!
340RICK Offline
master
340RICK  Offline
master

GO BUCKS !!!!!!!
Listen to ATI

That other dude is prolly runnin a " J " conveter and a purple shaft cam

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: 340RICK] #1423870
04/22/13 08:36 PM
04/22/13 08:36 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Listen to ATI

What's wrong with a J convertor...

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Jeepmon] #1423871
04/22/13 08:38 PM
04/22/13 08:38 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I'm no TC guy but you still want it to stall at about
200 to 300 rpm above peak torque rpm to utilize your
torque... it seems that the larger TC has less slippage
once its up to stall as in 3% or so... basically you
have to hope the TC guys does it right... I'm not
gonna get into who is the best because thats more
of a personal preference because it worked with their
application

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Jeepmon] #1423872
04/22/13 09:02 PM
04/22/13 09:02 PM
WA
JD Dart Offline
super stock
JD Dart  Offline
super stock

WA
It's hard to say if 8" or 9" would be the best for you. Transmission Specialties will tell you with that HP you will need a 9" I tried one of their 9" it stalled to 5885 on my tach and 6032 on the race pack way to low for my car sent it back to have them make it looser Running 8" for now goes to 6300 on the race pack perfect for my junk. When I put in the 9" I'll let you know if it works out. Your motor is way bigger than mine it should work nicely with the 9"

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: 340RICK] #1423873
04/22/13 09:09 PM
04/22/13 09:09 PM
Renton Washington
T
Triple Threat Offline
master
Triple Threat  Offline
master
T

Renton Washington
Quote:

Listen to ATI

No but he is running a Glide haha.

Your car, with a 3 speed, I'd probably go with ATI's recommendation.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA
Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: CHAPPER] #1423874
04/22/13 09:13 PM
04/22/13 09:13 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Listen to ATI

What's wrong with a J convertor...

Hopefully nothing... I have a J conv in the Rampage
and talked to Paul on it to find out the stall.. with
500 ft lbs at my weight it should stall at 5000
but Paul didnt know much about using it with a OD
so he guessed it might have as much as 10% slippage
when in OD.. I'll see what happens in a month

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: 340RICK] #1423875
04/22/13 09:48 PM
04/22/13 09:48 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Listen to ATI

My money is on a glide and an 8" and a VERY fast car..(not mine BTW)

Chris..

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1423876
04/22/13 10:05 PM
04/22/13 10:05 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

The techs at ATI would be the people to listen to. Lupo set me up with a 9 inch, and was able to adjust it from 5500 to 6500 rpm, quite a spread. I run 528 cubes, peak torque at 5100 rpm. A big motor like yours needs a big core to lock up according to Lupo, and I can understand that. At some point, you can only get a converter so tight, putting the 8 inch in the possibly "too loose" category with a high torque combo like yours. His statement was the larger core allows tighter lockup on the top end for better efficiency on bigger motors.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: gregsdart] #1423877
04/22/13 10:09 PM
04/22/13 10:09 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
This is all good information... thanks for sharing

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Jeepmon] #1423878
04/23/13 02:35 AM
04/23/13 02:35 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
My questions for most of the guys here are

1)How do you know you have the best possible converter in your car? Who's judgement are you using to make this conclusion. just trusting the converter guy are keeping records and maximizing each piece?

2) How many of you are willing to spend the money and take the time to make sure you have the EXACT right converter for your car?

IMO they ONLY way to know this is to experiment and be willing to spend money and take the time to try out different pieces. ANYTHING else is simple an educated guess. I have been around enough race cars and seen this WAY to many times. Guys THINK they have the perfect piece only to find out they are leaving ET and MPH on the table.

I can tell you from my experience with my last 4 BB Mopar engines that they ALL worked better with an 8" than with a 9" converter. This is not just the case in my car, it has been the case with customers cars as well. FWIW the last piece that was right in my hoopty was an 8" ATI that only stalled 6600 and had 3% slip. Oh yeah went to 8 S/ST finals with it so I guess it worked ok...

Converter companies do not always get it right the first time but most companies can get it right the second time. There is an old standard that says use the biggest core you can that will acheive the desired stall speed. There are a ton a variables that can affect which size core will work best. Every company seems to have their "magic" combination, or their go to stuff for certain engine combos. Finding someone who is willing to make sure you get the right piece is what you need to be after here. Dont get dissapointed if it is not perfect the first time. Remember this is all theory until you put it in the car and go down the track.

Oh yeah. Be careful who you allow to cut your stuff open for inspection when thereis a problem. I learned that very expensive lesson just recently. I had two converters cut open for inspection after a trans failure. Now in my opinion BOTH are junk for my combination. They both came back tighter than they were before. One 500-600 the other 1400!!! I will make do with one of them the rest of the year but will be starting over after that in search of the elusive "magic" combination. Sure hope it dont take nearly as many $$$ as last time.

One last topic for discussion. What do you all feel is the best/most consitent type of converter to have, loose or tight?

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Al_Alguire] #1423879
04/23/13 03:18 AM
04/23/13 03:18 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

1)How do you know you have the best possible converter in your car? Who's judgement are you using to make this conclusion. just trusting the converter guy are keeping records and maximizing each piece?

2) How many of you are willing to spend the money and take the time to make sure you have the EXACT right converter for your car?

IMO they ONLY way to know this is to experiment and be willing to spend money and take the time to try out different pieces. ANYTHING else is simple an educated guess. I have been around enough race cars and seen this WAY to many times. Guys THINK they have the perfect piece only to find out they are leaving ET and MPH on the table.

I can tell you from my experience with my last 4 BB Mopar engines that they ALL worked better with an 8" than with a 9" converter. This is not just the case in my car, it has been the case with customers cars as well. FWIW the last piece that was right in my hoopty was an 8" ATI that only stalled 6600 and had 3% slip. Oh yeah went to 8 S/ST finals with it so I guess it worked ok...

Converter companies do not always get it right the first time but most companies can get it right the second time. There is an old standard that says use the biggest core you can that will acheive the desired stall speed. There are a ton a variables that can affect which size core will work best. Every company seems to have their "magic" combination, or their go to stuff for certain engine combos. Finding someone who is willing to make sure you get the right piece is what you need to be after here. Dont get dissapointed if it is not perfect the first time. Remember this is all theory until you put it in the car and go down the track.

Oh yeah. Be careful who you allow to cut your stuff open for inspection when thereis a problem. I learned that very expensive lesson just recently. I had two converters cut open for inspection after a trans failure. Now in my opinion BOTH are junk for my combination. They both came back tighter than they were before. One 500-600 the other 1400!!! I will make do with one of them the rest of the year but will be starting over after that in search of the elusive "magic" combination. Sure hope it dont take nearly as many $$$ as last time. (NAILED it on the head!!)

One last topic for discussion. What do you all feel is the best/most consitent type of converter to have, loose or tight?

Thats opening a can of worms,but I'm sure you knew that.

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Al_Alguire] #1423880
04/23/13 03:28 AM
04/23/13 03:28 AM
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

My choice-loose. Tire slippage starts the lock up proccess earlier, (from what I am told) so a loose converter actually pulls a tad harder , offsetting the loss from spin. This works well with my Torqueflite.
All I know about consistancy is from my limited experience, but the numbers look pretty good, with 330 marks almost dead on, same day.
As far as how close I am to the right converter, I will never know for sure. I would bet that the average combo would need ten or more trys probably using three converters, putting the best to date on the shelf so it is STILL the best. Most of us can't afford the expense of testing like that.
So how do I know I am even close? My dyno guys other cars, as a referance to true hp numbers off his dyno, and also comparing my setup to others similar. I think I got reasonably lucky on all accounts.

Al, how many of those cars were running Torqueflites?

Last edited by gregsdart; 04/23/13 03:38 AM.
Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: gregsdart] #1423881
04/23/13 03:31 AM
04/23/13 03:31 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I am not trying to cast anyh stones here. Just asking the question so maybe we can all learn something. Does not matter what part we are talking about the only way to know it is perfect for the combo is by trying different pieces.

maybe it is just that this converter thing is a sore subject for me. In my car we have yet to find the "magic bullet" I had one that worked very well on the stop but have yet to find one that is perfect for the car all out. They have all been WAY tight, by different manufactures with dyno info. And now having had my two best pieces ruined by a trans/converter company and after hearing some of the BS from their guy I am just a bit hot about it still. And $3000 poorer by the time I get it all back to where I was....

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Al_Alguire] #1423882
04/23/13 03:37 AM
04/23/13 03:37 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Converter companies do not always get it right the first time but most companies can get it right the second time. There is an old standard that says use the biggest core you can that will achieve the desired stall speed. There are a ton a variables that can affect which size core will work best. Every company seems to have their "magic" combination, or their go to stuff for certain engine combos. Finding someone who is willing to make sure you get the right piece is what you need to be after here. Don't get disappointed if it is not perfect the first time. Remember this is all theory until you put it in the car and go down the track.

Oh yeah. Be careful who you allow to cut your stuff open for inspection when there is a problem. I learned that very expensive lesson just recently. I had two converters cut open for inspection after a trans failure. Now in my opinion BOTH are junk for my combination. They both came back tighter than they were before. One 500-600 the other 1400!!! I will make do with one of them the rest of the year but will be starting over after that in search of the elusive "magic" combination. Sure hope it don't take nearly as many $$$ as last time.

One last topic for discussion. What do you all feel is the best/most consistent type of converter to have, loose or tight?

Well, I am one of the guys that Al is talking about. I've tried several converters. All 9" though. So far the best 9" tested, (and that would be 5) was a Hughes GM95..

So Al let me try his 8" ATI in my car. (An ATI converter speced for his car) Left the t-stop in the same place as the last run with my 9" Hughes.

Results were 8" ATI + 1.5 mph and a tenth quicker.. DA was almost identical.. Actually slightly worse with the 8".

Then we played with jetting and picked up another 1.5 mph. (that has nothing to do with the converter, just showing that Al is clueless).

So, my new converter will be an 8" ATI or A1.. Not sure yet on the maker..

And I know which type of converter is most consistent..

Chris..

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1423883
04/23/13 03:42 AM
04/23/13 03:42 AM
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

OK, spill the beans!

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: gregsdart] #1423884
04/23/13 03:51 AM
04/23/13 03:51 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

OK, spill the beans!

Hughes GM93 BS9D.. So.. Very loose..

Chris..

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1423885
04/23/13 03:52 AM
04/23/13 03:52 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1423886
04/23/13 04:14 AM
04/23/13 04:14 AM
WA
JD Dart Offline
super stock
JD Dart  Offline
super stock

WA
I sure like the 8" A1 did when it comes off the stop it starts moving. Even they had the first one setup too loose not there fault motor is making more power since last time. I agree with Al you need to spend the extra time and $$ to get it right. I will try the 9" from TS after Boise I bet I'll be back to the 8"

How many times have you hurd a car go down the track leaves real soft rpm just hangs for 2-3 seconds then starts moving ask him hey how do you like that convertor they say

Or the other way rpm at 7000 and stays there all the way down the track ask him and another and the car runs 11.38 at 112

Re: Torque Converter tech tips.. [Re: JD Dart] #1423887
04/23/13 04:34 AM
04/23/13 04:34 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
I thought it was common knowledge that you need to take a dozen converters to the track to find one that you think is correct. There are enough variables in a converter that there are no certain rules,only guidelines and theories.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3