We all know that a torque converter is that thing bolts between the motor and the trans.. its round, heavy-ish and leaks trans fluid all over the front of your shirt when you pick it up.. But how do you figure out what you want.. or need before you purchase one?

We all pretty much know what stall and flash is.. we know its should match the peak torque of your motor.. however there seems to be a lot of discussion about being too loose.. or too tight.. or not consistent enough..

There's talk about having to send back the converter multiple times to have it adjusted.. because I can only assume it wasnt built right in the first place.. and I dont know about you all.. but pulling trans and paying shipping cost across the country is not my idea of fun..

And then there is 8" and 9" and 10" and turbo and blown fuel and lock up and non lock up.. Add to that.. all these internet posters that make claim their TC guy is better because he has picked them up .3 or 6 mph over someone else's brand..

So I turn to you wise old gentlemen for your advise.. I'm needing a converter and have selected ATI to buy from.. Talking with the guys on the phone, they recommended getting a 9" converter for my 727 trans.. What do I know.. I'm an electrician by trade, so I must trust these experts.. right?

Then speaking with a very knowledgeable and trust worthy racer.. He said unless they've developed some new technology.. he could never get a 9" work for his cars (which has close to or slightly more power than my bullet) and strongly recommends 8"..

This is my application..

3000 lbs Duster
727 with brake
572 max effort with approx 900-1000HP
456 rear gears and 32" tires
1/8th and 1/4 mile (race only, no street)
1150 Dom carb
N/A on race gas
cam card says
286/296 @ .050
112.5 LSA
.799 lift

So what do you guys think?

8" or 9"

Make it a little on the tight side to let the cubic inches pull it down the track.. or loosen it up and let the rpms fly?