Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
New Improved- Does a rear sway bar ALWAYS improve the handling of a car?

OLD (Does EVERY car require a rear swaybar to handle better?)

YES or NO?

What say you? Define "handle" in your own way if needed.

I have an opinion.

Majority doesn't necessarily win

http://www.stealthtdi.com/SwayBars.html A reasonable middle of the road pun intended swaybar discussion

Last edited by jcc; 03/31/13 10:52 PM.
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: jcc] #1412476
03/31/13 10:24 PM
03/31/13 10:24 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline

no

no

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: amxautox] #1412477
03/31/13 10:25 PM
03/31/13 10:25 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

'handle properly'

'predictable'

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: jcc] #1412478
03/31/13 10:30 PM
03/31/13 10:30 PM
Beeton Ontario. Canada
B
BigSugar Offline
BigSugar  Offline
B

Beeton Ontario. Canada
Quote:

YES or NO?

I have an opinion.

Why not just bolt one on and see for yourself ?

If you don't think it's an improvement you can always take it off.

Ron

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: amxautox] #1412479
03/31/13 10:44 PM
03/31/13 10:44 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Personally I try not to use a rear bar on rear drive cars. An anti-roll bar always trys to lift the inside wheel. This can make trying to get the power down on corner exit pretty tricky especially if you have good power or marginal grip. As for defining "good handling" I see it as having good balance, sharp turn in and a good general feeling of confidence that it won't do anything weird.. Predictability is certainly desirable, but if the balance is really off it dosen't help your confidence just because you know ahead of time that the car is going to either try to suddenly swap ends or push itself off the outside of the corner.

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: jcc] #1412480
03/31/13 10:54 PM
03/31/13 10:54 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

YES or NO?

I have an opinion.

No

No

Never absolutes on something like that. But they are an easy tool to make under/over-steer balance adjustments depending on the situation and driver preference.

It all depends on the rest of the handling system you are considering adding a rear sway bar to.

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: autoxcuda] #1412481
04/01/13 10:30 AM
04/01/13 10:30 AM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
I'm no suspension expert by any means but real world example: After noticing the improvement on my truck we bought a rear swaybar for my Stepson's '88 Ranger x cab. When he bought a new Ram QC in '03 the rear swaybar was the first improvement he made. He drives to Ft. Worth daily and he said the improvement on the onramps was impressive.
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: runinonmt] #1412482
04/01/13 04:21 PM
04/01/13 04:21 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I know that my 70 Charger is more fun to drive with the current setup, which includes a rear bar.
I don't like understeer. I don't like excessive body roll either. The bar made huge reductions in both.
To those that run without one and are happy, are you also running extra firm leaf springs? If that is the case, it makes sense. The rear bar transfers spring rate from the outside wheel to the inside wheel in a turn. The use of a rear bar allows the driver to have a softer, more comfortable ride.
My car doesn't ride like an Imperial, but I like it. I'd rather have moderate spring/torsion bar rates and big sway bars for the street.

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: Kern Dog] #1412483
04/01/13 04:33 PM
04/01/13 04:33 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

I know that my 70 Charger is more fun to drive with the current setup, which includes a rear bar.
I don't like understeer. I don't like excessive body roll either. The bar made huge reductions in both.

Absolutely...

Got a rear sway on my '71 Satellite...

Big difference...

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: 5spdcuda] #1412484
04/01/13 05:11 PM
04/01/13 05:11 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Personally I try not to use a rear bar on rear drive cars. An anti-roll bar always trys to lift the inside wheel. This can make trying to get the power down on corner exit pretty tricky especially if you have good power or marginal grip. As for defining "good handling" I see it as having good balance, sharp turn in and a good general feeling of confidence that it won't do anything weird.. Predictability is certainly desirable, but if the balance is really off it dosen't help your confidence just because you know ahead of time that the car is going to either try to suddenly swap ends or push itself off the outside of the corner.

Isn't omitting a rear bar on a RWD car really only of benefit on autocross where you have high grip + very tight turns? In any other situation I think you would want the roll stiffness.

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1412485
04/01/13 05:24 PM
04/01/13 05:24 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't omitting a rear bar on a RWD car really only of benefit on autocross where you have high grip + very tight turns? In any other situation I think you would want the roll stiffness.

Usually in an Autox scenario a rear bar is a help. In theory in would make the car rotate in the tight turns of a tight turned course. I installed a rear bar on my Dart toward the end of last summer and it made a difference for sure. I can induce oversteer pretty easy with the throttle. And on long sweepers the car is definitely more confident and flat. One down side to it on my car is on turns where the pavement is broken up with cracks,seams or small potholes the rear is alot less compliant and wants kick sideways a little.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: 72Swinger] #1412486
04/01/13 06:02 PM
04/01/13 06:02 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Usually in an Autox scenario a rear bar is a help. In theory in would make the car rotate in the tight turns of a tight turned course. I installed a rear bar on my Dart toward the end of last summer and it made a difference for sure. I can induce oversteer pretty easy with the throttle. And on long sweepers the car is definitely more confident and flat. One down side to it on my car is on turns where the pavement is broken up with cracks,seams or small potholes the rear is alot less compliant and wants kick sideways a little.

I only know that the only situation where Miata owners omit the rear bar entirely is for autox because it helps keep the inside tire on the ground in extremely tight turns that transition to hard acceleration. Otherwise you want a rear bar to keep the car balanced at higher speeds. It is possible to have too much rear bar and get the wheel lifting at something more than a full-lock turn at 20 mph, but I don't think the answer is no rear bar at all.

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1412487
04/01/13 07:38 PM
04/01/13 07:38 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Your point is well taken. My response is simply that some cars like 'Cuda's are a little "tail happy" to start with and adding a bar can actually make the situation worse. If I were inclined to compete more seriously I would like to try some fiberglass springs with a lower spring rate with a light and adjustable rear bar. I think it might be a useful way to tune for different courses and road conditions. To digress for a moment, I've learned from experience that basic theory is almost always a good starting point, but you only find out what works by actually trying it. Driving style and preference certainly enters into it as well. The following is a good example of how theory and actual results can differ. Theory says that using stiffer springs or anti-roll bars at the front tends to increase understeer. This would probably be true except for the fact that most cars [ especially older ones with stock suspensions like were talking about here ] have so much body lean in hard cornering that they generate considerable positive camber even if you start out with some static negative camber. The use of stiffer springs and/or bars reduces the body lean to more manageable proportions and as a result understeer is often reduced and the car "turns in" better. As a side note live axles or beam axles don't experience much if any camber change with body roll unless it's so great as to actually lift the inside wheel clear of the pavement. One final note, Eberg's "Green Brick" was an "A" body with a relatively light weight small block and probably somewhat better weight distribution than most "E" bodies and he still choose to run without a rear bar.

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1412488
04/01/13 09:36 PM
04/01/13 09:36 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I only know that the only situation where Miata owners omit the rear bar entirely is for autox because it helps keep the inside tire on the ground in extremely tight turns that transition to hard acceleration. Otherwise you want a rear bar to keep the car balanced at higher speeds. It is possible to have too much rear bar and get the wheel lifting at something more than a full-lock turn at 20 mph, but I don't think the answer is no rear bar at all.

Are those Miata's in stock classes that have to run stock springs and stock width tires?

It all depends on the individual car and it's spring/shock/swaybar/tire setup. All results will very.

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: 5spdcuda] #1412489
04/01/13 09:41 PM
04/01/13 09:41 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
My thinking has been, if adding a rear bar helps a lot, you likely don't have the proper front bar/spring combination in the first place. Of course I am sure there are chassis' not stiff enough to transmit roll resistance and a rear bar bypasses that shortcoming, but that's a different topic.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: jcc] #1412490
04/01/13 09:51 PM
04/01/13 09:51 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Specific setups aside, I can't bear to see people arguing that rear bars should not be necessary as a general rule. Come on, guys. Our cars may be 40-50 years old but the general suspension theory we're working doesn't have to be...

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1412491
04/01/13 10:54 PM
04/01/13 10:54 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
It really depends.

Best handling car I ever built was vastly improved with a rear bar. But unless you have major buxs you can't always get the exact setup you need, so you tune with what you can get.

If you like stiff springs, then you can get away with no, or a small, rear bar.

If you like to keep your dental work where it belongs you are probably running a rear bar.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: amxautox] #1412492
04/02/13 12:05 AM
04/02/13 12:05 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I mounted a rear bar on my 2007 Ram 1500. I got one from a mid 90s Chevy Suburban and modified the mounts.
The truck certainly corners flatter than before. The 305-40-22 tires I run are wearing more even in the front now. prior to the install, the outer edges would get scuffed from aggresive driving. It seems that now with the truck having less body roll, the front tires are not rolling over as much.
I don't notice that much of a difference in turn in or in tight switchbacks, but in steady freeway on ramp type activity.

Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: jcc] #1412493
04/02/13 12:11 AM
04/02/13 12:11 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

My thinking has been, if adding a rear bar helps a lot, you likely don't have the proper front bar/spring combination in the first place. Of course I am sure there are chassis' not stiff enough to transmit roll resistance and a rear bar bypasses that shortcoming, but that's a different topic.

I think there is some truth to that. But do you carry sets and sets front and rear springs in 50 lbs increments out to the racetrack? And those springs should be rated with a Longacre type checker before install too. Advertised rates are rarely correct. Especially with leaf springs.

And it depends what track you are running at. And depends on your driving style and skill level.

I know at the tighter and slower Horse Thief Mile track at Willow Springs I liked running my rear sway bar.

But at the wider turned and faster Big Track at Willow Springs I like the rear sway bar disconnected. It got me in trouble the first time out with a decent motor. After that incident, I just disconnect one end link with two 3/4" wrenches. I should have taken the link totally off, but this time I just unhooked the end Oh well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOrFexa6Fk

Last edited by autoxcuda; 04/02/13 12:18 AM.
Re: Rear sway bars, fact or myth? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1412494
04/02/13 09:40 AM
04/02/13 09:40 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

generally adding roll stiffness to the front promotes understeer, adding roll stiffness to the rear promotes oversteer. on my old M body, when I upgraded the front to the cop spec 1.125" bar, and hadn't put on the rear bar, the thing pushed like a plow, it just wouldn't turn. I actually went to a 1" rear bar, and it made it very responsive, possibly almost slightly biased towards oversteer. also, wider tires on the back relative to the front helps induce understeer, so you may need more rear bar if you run a staggered tire setup.

the big difference between miatas and mopars is the miata is IRS, while the mopar is a live axle. adding roll bars on an independent suspension makes them a little less independent, so how a miata reacts to a rear sway bar is somewhat different than how a live axle vehicle will...

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Page 1 of 2 1 2