03/15/13 11:44 AM
03/15/13 11:44 AM
Monroe,Connecticut
BigEdsGarage Offline OP
pro stock
BigEdsGarage  Offline OP
pro stock

Monroe,Connecticut
I am looking to get the part numbers and pricing for 2006 Ram 2500 Power Wagon front coil springs.
I tried 3 local dealers and nobody can seem to get the numbers unless I have a vin number for them. I am looking to put the PW springs in my 2500 to level out the front instead of using aftermarket spacers or springs. Can anyone here dig a little deeper and get the correct part numbers for these coils?

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: BigEdsGarage] #1402702
03/15/13 12:35 PM
03/15/13 12:35 PM
Marion,Indiana
S
Seth_Jones Offline
pro stock
Seth_Jones  Offline
pro stock
S

Marion,Indiana
You will have to find a power wagon vin.The springs are only listed by sales codes and there must be a couple dozen different springs.

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: Seth_Jones] #1402703
03/15/13 12:48 PM
03/15/13 12:48 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
Quote:

You will have to find a power wagon vin.The springs are only listed by sales codes and there must be a couple dozen different springs.

.....What he said!

A lot of the coil springs also have a tag on them with the last 2 digits of the part number....but then if you find any of those numb ers, you might as well get the VIN. I'm sure any '06 to '08 Power Wagon would be OK.....I could get you a sales code if need be..

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: superwrench] #1402704
03/15/13 01:46 PM
03/15/13 01:46 PM
Monroe,Connecticut
BigEdsGarage Offline OP
pro stock
BigEdsGarage  Offline OP
pro stock

Monroe,Connecticut
This has been the problem with everyone I spoke with at the dealers. I dont have a vin for a PW since my truck is a regular 06 2500. If it would help I am looking to get the PW coils for a 06 2500 PW quad cab. Is it possible to get the sales code based on that and then look up the parts? Thanks guys.

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: BigEdsGarage] #1402705
03/15/13 01:59 PM
03/15/13 01:59 PM
NB, Canada
M
moparfan53 Offline
super stock
moparfan53  Offline
super stock
M

NB, Canada
You can find a vin on ebay, the listings include it. Currently there is an 05 and 07.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=...4506.m270.l1313

Here is a closed listing for an 06. You may need to log in to see it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-DODG...=item5aeef2d5a0

Last edited by moparfan53; 03/15/13 02:18 PM.
Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: BigEdsGarage] #1402706
03/15/13 04:37 PM
03/15/13 04:37 PM
NY
twodoorpost Offline
mopar
twodoorpost  Offline
mopar

NY
Many choices are why they need the VIN. See attached page from the parts book.

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: twodoorpost] #1402707
03/15/13 05:57 PM
03/15/13 05:57 PM
Monroe,Connecticut
BigEdsGarage Offline OP
pro stock
BigEdsGarage  Offline OP
pro stock

Monroe,Connecticut
OK, there is a 2007 quad cab listed that the vin will probably work. I am guessing the different spring numbers relate to various combinations of regular/quad/mega cab and varied bed lengths. I have the vin for the 07 and it is a quad shortbox like mine.

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: BigEdsGarage] #1402708
03/15/13 07:15 PM
03/15/13 07:15 PM
SE PA
Yellow Fever Offline
super stock
Yellow Fever  Offline
super stock

SE PA

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: BigEdsGarage] #1402709
03/16/13 11:17 AM
03/16/13 11:17 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

This has been the problem with everyone I spoke with at the dealers.

As a parts guy, I think you have this backwards.

This has been your problem with everyone you've spoken with at the dealers.

Sorry, but it's a REAL PITA to deal with people who refuse to give us the info we need to find the parts they want. When the parts guy says he needs a VIN, give him a friggin VIN.

Help your parts guy help you.

I have used eBay more than once to find a VIN for a vehicle that had the same feature I was looking for.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: feets] #1402710
03/17/13 12:25 PM
03/17/13 12:25 PM
Monroe,Connecticut
BigEdsGarage Offline OP
pro stock
BigEdsGarage  Offline OP
pro stock

Monroe,Connecticut
Hey feets,
I've been a parts department employee as well as a parts department manager myself. My employment in the automotive industry (Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, VW, SAAB as well as Harley, Buell,Moto Guzzi, Victory) spans well over 25 years starting back in 1984. I've always tried to assist others (particularly fellow car enthusiasts) whenever I can. If I was not able to assist in a satisfactory manner then I would explain why. At a minimum, perhaps by searching into an issue I would learn something to better serve my customers in the future and become more knowledgeable about the brands and products I sell. I guess I could sit there and say just "get a friggin vin" but I've never took that approach and always wanted to HELP. If a parts book, microfiche or EPC says there were options I always wanted to know why. I guess a lot of guys don't care or want to know the difference between those parts.

My inquisition about the spring part numbers was based on requesting assistance from someone who was willing to help and perhaps offer some assistance my local dealership employees could not provide based on the information I had available. I realize they need a vin but wanted to see what options were available. I also get a little skeptical when some 20 year old clown sitting on a stool stuffing his face with donuts and redbull says he does not know and cant figure it out. UNLIKE YOURSELF, twodoorpost and superwrench were able to contribute usefully to MY problem. It's a lot more acceptable to me than saying I cant help you, but thanks for trying.

Re: Parts Department Guys I need a favor [Re: BigEdsGarage] #1402711
03/17/13 03:36 PM
03/17/13 03:36 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
When I work the wholesale/retail counter I spend much of my time doing exactly what you claim to have done. Frequently, I look up cars we have for sale or cars on eBay to get a VIN to find the part they want. The African rebuilders really tax our time. Those guys will buy cars at the auction, shine 'em up, and slam them in a container bound for Lagos, Nigeria. It's BIG business. The problem is they wear us out for an hour or more and don't buy anything. That takes quite a toll on an understaffed counter.
When it's late in the day, all the phone lines are lit up, and there are 7 people standing at the counter wanting help I don't have time to hold someone's hand and do their homework for them.
Perhaps the business has changed since you started. These days, the more you do for a client the more they expect you to do for them.
When a C-class has one of 16 front bumper covers I'm not going to pull every cover out of stock so you can see which one matches the part you dug out of the salvage yard. If you want all the little parts that go with it, you had better go back and get that VIN or bring me one from an identical car.
You want an "AMG kit" for your car? Seriously? You're talking about a good deal of time comparing the hundred parts of your front bumper to the hundred parts of the AMG front bumper, doing it again for the rear bumper, and once more for each rocker cover. Then, you've got to look at whether or not your exhaust will fit with the rear bumper. After all that is said and done, you have to be willing to pony up more than $8,000 for the pieces.

A good one is the caller who wants a quote on a wheel. Yeah, sure. Hold the phone closer so I can read the number off the back of your wheel. There are an incredible number of wheels available on these cars and there's no telling if the car still has the factor installed parts or if they were swapped before they bought the car.

When it comes to the classic car guys, they often request me by name because I can find the answers to the tough questions. I'm not afraid to open the old film or crack a book from the 1950s. However, I still need a VIN to know if your 1964 220SE has rear disc brakes, single cylinder rear drums, or dual cylinder rear drums.

Trust me. I do know how to take care of my clients. I've been recognized for going above and beyond. Sadly, that can lead to getting burned because of unreasonable expectations or unfavorable parts quotes.

Do NOT tell me how to take care of business at a parts counter.
If I ask you for a VIN it's because I need the stinking VIN. It's not laziness or arrogance. I simply need the VIN to fix YOUR problem.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon