12/12/12 11:42 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I have been using a water oil cooler for the last 8 years. It's mounted in front of the radiator. Never a problem. With a Milodon HV oil pump my oil pressure is almost instant. I have a short filled block. Without a cooler my oil temp would hit 320.

Interesting. I have a 3/4 filled block and I have never seen my oil temp over 215 ( on the street or round racing ). I'm sure road racing or oval track racing would be a different story - even towing. I was all set to put a cooler on. Glad I put an oil temp gauge on first. My oil manufacturer recomended running at 212 to 250 temps to boil off any moisture in the oil.

Fastest 300
Re: Engine Oil Cooler [Re: VincentVega] #1345620
12/12/12 12:48 PM
12/12/12 12:48 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Welp, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And that's often!

The E58 on the Diplomat body does use the oil "check valve", it's just mounted on the cooler instead of at the back of the block like on the B body. I must have been really tired yesterday to miss that!

I stand corrected as well. I just looked and confirmed that mine indeed has that check valve at the cooler.

Re: Engine Oil Cooler [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1345621
12/12/12 01:28 PM
12/12/12 01:28 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
I've parted out cop diplomats, and I can recall looking at the oil cooler and thinking "what the hell is this thing on it?"

It's funny how sometimes it takes years to piece things together. now I know.

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: Engine Oil Cooler [Re: VincentVega] #1345622
12/12/12 01:49 PM
12/12/12 01:49 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I've parted out cop diplomats, and I can recall looking at the oil cooler and thinking "what the hell is this thing on it?"

It's funny how sometimes it takes years to piece things together. now I know.

Maintained a whole fleet of Diplomat squads with those oil coolers on them in the early 80's ( all on E58 360 motors). Really no problems other than a few leaks here and there. I think they were designed by a plumber though - not a lot of flow and lines everywhere. I believe the check valve was ball/spring type. No problem but the orifice was pretty small. Really don't think you want any part of one on your car - IMO. BTW, oil back then wasn't anywhere near as good ( regarding heat issues ) as it is today - albit lacking zinc. "Coked" up a few squad motors in the late 70's ( small block Fords ) that didn't have coolers on them.

Fastest 300
Re: Engine Oil Cooler [Re: Crizila] #1345623
12/12/12 01:55 PM
12/12/12 01:55 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
You're right.

Although on a big block, I think the problem is the worst of all. There's a lot of residual heat in all that cast iron, and it takes a LONG time to cool down. So if you drive like a cop, and then immediately shut down, it just bakes. And like I said, with a bigger, heavier engine, the problem is worse.

My 78 cop car (400) wasn't too dirty when I took it down. I have a 77 cop car (also 400), that looked like the canadian oil sands under the valve-covers. Obviously that car was beat hard and probably never allowed to cool before shut down. Needless to say, they both had the factory oil coolers.

Turbocharged cars also have this problem, although the better ones will continue to pump oil after shut down - sometimes by means of a turbo timer.

That's also a good observation about the orifice size. If I'm not mistaken, the return hole through the fuel pump bolt is rather small, maybe a 1/16" or 3/32" by memory. It gets the job done for factory HP levels though, and something bigger would start to compromise pressure, I'm sure.

Personally I need to figure out something for my 500" stroker, and I'd like to keep it looking as stock as possible. I plan to route upper head oiling through the rear of the block to save main and cam oiling, so I will already be back there with plumbing. Also want a thermostatic control so it doesn't keep the oil too cool. An engineering challenge

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: Engine Oil Cooler [Re: VincentVega] #1345624
12/12/12 11:45 PM
12/12/12 11:45 PM
so ca
M
mikesiron Offline
mikesiron  Offline
M

so ca
I will say,I have been racing round track for over 12yrs with a remote oil filter mounted on the firewall above the valve covers. Without a drain back valve and have had no issues. When I start the engine I fast idle @ 2000rpm for one minute. High oil temp on round track engine's or any engine for that matter is because of low oil flow. Most racers use too heavy oil which will increase there oil preasure but decreases the flow to the bearings. Suction side of oil pump is way to small and to far away from the pump. Dont fool yourself when taking oil temp, if you are not taking it at the bottom of the pan were the sending unit is fully submerged at all times you are getting the wrong temp reading. If you have 30 psi oil preasure at idle when your oil is 215deg use a liter oil you will get more flow and better cooling.

Page 2 of 2 1 2