09/28/08 07:51 AM
09/28/08 07:51 AM
NJ
440challenger Offline OP
master
440challenger  Offline OP
master

NJ
Dash pad on my 74 barracuda is shot. i want to find a better pad or buy a new one. What is the best what to transfer the vin tag beings its mounted on the dash pad? is it illegal doing this?
I have the broadcast sheet,title in my name,fender tag etc

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: 440challenger] #128873
09/28/08 08:28 AM
09/28/08 08:28 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
in my opinion it's NOT illegal to transfer a VIN tag to another dash.
many other people on this site take a different opinion, but there are provisions in the federal law to allow the removal and transfer of VIN #'s for restorations purposes.

now how to do this.
the easiest way would be to carefully grind the back side of rivets holding the vin tag on and gluing the tag and rivets on. another was is to remove the rivets and use reproduction rivets to re-install the tag.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: 440challenger] #128874
09/28/08 09:40 AM
09/28/08 09:40 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
In Ohio tiy have to have the State Patrol see the OE vin then they have to inspect the new dash with the Vin.Yeah you can grind it off and glue it on But.Thats a big But if they eber inspect you might have problems.Best to call your local State Patrol and find what they say.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: 440challenger] #128875
09/28/08 12:03 PM
09/28/08 12:03 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
just swap it over , calling the state police is going to cause you grief

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: JohnRR] #128876
09/28/08 01:20 PM
09/28/08 01:20 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
i'm gonna swap mine in and try new rivets but i hope it doesn't draw the plate in and make a indent on the tag...other wise i might glue it in..i would want it to look like it was never removed

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: JohnRR] #128877
09/28/08 01:22 PM
09/28/08 01:22 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: Challenger 1] #128878
09/28/08 07:54 PM
09/28/08 07:54 PM
Gateway to the West.
hemi_harvester Offline
master
hemi_harvester  Offline
master

Gateway to the West.

Best way is just do it ! and don't broadcast all over the inter-net your wanting to or have done it...

The Moparts police are cicrling your house now..Look out side.

There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama & people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: hemi_harvester] #128879
09/28/08 10:04 PM
09/28/08 10:04 PM
SW Minnesota
D
Dennis_K Offline
super stock
Dennis_K  Offline
super stock
D

SW Minnesota
I say swap the tag and what the police or anyone else don't know won't hurt them. The VIN tag removal laws were written to combat car theft. If you called your state police to tell them that you wanted one of them to come to your shop to watch you take a tag off one dash pad and put it on another one, they would probably think you are nuts and tell you they have better things to do. Another time this subject came up I was told I was committing a crime by having my dash in my garage while the body of my car was on a rotisserie 35 miles away.

I finally made it to the end of the rainbow. Murphy was standing there to tell me that the pot of gold was at the other end.
Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: Dennis_K] #128880
09/29/08 07:42 AM
09/29/08 07:42 AM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
Just grind the rivets off the underside of the dash pad. Go buy 2 rosette syle rivets, correct for mopar VIN tags, and fasten the VIN to your new pad. I wouldn't do it until you have everything side by side.

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: Mr T2U] #128881
09/29/08 10:20 AM
09/29/08 10:20 AM
LENOX , MI
KMPX2 Offline
mopar addict
KMPX2  Offline
mopar addict

LENOX , MI
Quote:

many other people on this site take a different opinion, but there are provisions in the federal law to allow the removal and transfer of VIN #'s for restorations purposes.

now how to do this.
the easiest way would be to carefully grind the back side of rivets holding the vin tag on and gluing the tag and rivets on. another was is to remove the rivets and use reproduction rivets to re-install the tag.

There maybe a Federal law as you state ( I have never hear of it & I have owned both a used car lot & a repair shop)but each state can make there own tougher laws. Here in Mich. it is illegal to remove a vin for any reason. There are 3 laws they can hit you with. 1 illegal to remove a vin, 2 illegal to have a vin that was removed from a car & 3 illegal to have a car with it's vin removed. Most states all have these same laws. Most guys say who will ever know. But guess what I have know 2 different guys that were restoring high dollar cars (HEMI & a 440-6) both had removed there vin's. Both of these guys had there shops broken into & when they reported the break-ins, the cops took the cars because the vin's were removed. Even though both owners had the tags & all paper work to show the cars were not stolen. When the cars were returned both had new state asigned builders titles/vin's. There is no faster way to kill the value of a car then to have a builders title.

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: JohnRR] #128882
09/29/08 01:35 PM
09/29/08 01:35 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

Buy the correct rivits and get it done.

Most state police could care less.

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? [Re: KMPX2] #128883
09/29/08 07:46 PM
09/29/08 07:46 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

now how to do this.

There maybe a Federal law as you state ( I have never hear of it & I have owned both a used car lot & a repair shop)but each state can make there own tougher laws. Here in Mich. it is illegal to remove a vin for any reason. There are 3 laws they can hit you with. 1 illegal to remove a vin, 2 illegal to have a vin that was removed from a car & 3 illegal to have a car with it's vin removed. Most states all have these same laws. Most guys say who will ever know. But guess what I have know 2 different guys that were restoring high dollar cars (HEMI & a 440-6) both had removed there vin's. Both of these guys had there shops broken into & when they reported the break-ins, the cops took the cars because the vin's were removed. Even though both owners had the tags & all paper work to show the cars were not stolen. When the cars were returned both had new state asigned builders titles/vin's. There is no faster way to kill the value of a car then to have a builders title.

i don't know Michigan law so i can't comment on it.
in the constantly popping up threads about vins. every law ever posted there is a exemption in it allowing the transfer of vin tags for restoration purposes.
i am not 100% clear on the impounded and messed up vin comment but i have a comment regarding it as i understand it. now a restoration shop that removes a vin tag from a dash and doesn't immediately install it on the new dash should be shot or hung by the neck until he is dead. or if they didn't remove the tag and toss it in something it would be illegal to remove a E body dash because the vin # is attached to it.

according to the other VIN tag post that was running yesterday. all you have to do with the builder vin tag is register it in new york and you can get a reproduction VIN tag made. i think that that statement is hokey but the poster states he has had several made without any problems and it's 100% legal. you may have to pm the poster on that subject for more details.

perception is 90% of reality