Moparts

Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag??

Posted By: 440challenger

Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 11:51 AM

Dash pad on my 74 barracuda is shot. i want to find a better pad or buy a new one. What is the best what to transfer the vin tag beings its mounted on the dash pad? is it illegal doing this?
I have the broadcast sheet,title in my name,fender tag etc
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 12:28 PM

in my opinion it's NOT illegal to transfer a VIN tag to another dash.
many other people on this site take a different opinion, but there are provisions in the federal law to allow the removal and transfer of VIN #'s for restorations purposes.

now how to do this.
the easiest way would be to carefully grind the back side of rivets holding the vin tag on and gluing the tag and rivets on. another was is to remove the rivets and use reproduction rivets to re-install the tag.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 01:40 PM

In Ohio tiy have to have the State Patrol see the OE vin then they have to inspect the new dash with the Vin.Yeah you can grind it off and glue it on But.Thats a big But if they eber inspect you might have problems.Best to call your local State Patrol and find what they say.Rocky
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 04:03 PM

just swap it over , calling the state police is going to cause you grief
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 05:20 PM

i'm gonna swap mine in and try new rivets but i hope it doesn't draw the plate in and make a indent on the tag...other wise i might glue it in..i would want it to look like it was never removed
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 05:22 PM

Quote:

Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/28/08 11:54 PM

Best way is just do it ! and don't broadcast all over the inter-net your wanting to or have done it...

The Moparts police are cicrling your house now..Look out side.
Posted By: Dennis_K

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/29/08 02:04 AM

I say swap the tag and what the police or anyone else don't know won't hurt them. The VIN tag removal laws were written to combat car theft. If you called your state police to tell them that you wanted one of them to come to your shop to watch you take a tag off one dash pad and put it on another one, they would probably think you are nuts and tell you they have better things to do. Another time this subject came up I was told I was committing a crime by having my dash in my garage while the body of my car was on a rotisserie 35 miles away.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/29/08 11:42 AM

Just grind the rivets off the underside of the dash pad. Go buy 2 rosette syle rivets, correct for mopar VIN tags, and fasten the VIN to your new pad. I wouldn't do it until you have everything side by side.
Posted By: KMPX2

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/29/08 02:20 PM

Quote:

many other people on this site take a different opinion, but there are provisions in the federal law to allow the removal and transfer of VIN #'s for restorations purposes.

now how to do this.
the easiest way would be to carefully grind the back side of rivets holding the vin tag on and gluing the tag and rivets on. another was is to remove the rivets and use reproduction rivets to re-install the tag.

There maybe a Federal law as you state ( I have never hear of it & I have owned both a used car lot & a repair shop)but each state can make there own tougher laws. Here in Mich. it is illegal to remove a vin for any reason. There are 3 laws they can hit you with. 1 illegal to remove a vin, 2 illegal to have a vin that was removed from a car & 3 illegal to have a car with it's vin removed. Most states all have these same laws. Most guys say who will ever know. But guess what I have know 2 different guys that were restoring high dollar cars (HEMI & a 440-6) both had removed there vin's. Both of these guys had there shops broken into & when they reported the break-ins, the cops took the cars because the vin's were removed. Even though both owners had the tags & all paper work to show the cars were not stolen. When the cars were returned both had new state asigned builders titles/vin's. There is no faster way to kill the value of a car then to have a builders title.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/29/08 05:35 PM

Quote:

Buy the correct rivits and get it done.

Most state police could care less.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Replacing dash pad on ebody, Vin tag?? - 09/29/08 11:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

now how to do this.

There maybe a Federal law as you state ( I have never hear of it & I have owned both a used car lot & a repair shop)but each state can make there own tougher laws. Here in Mich. it is illegal to remove a vin for any reason. There are 3 laws they can hit you with. 1 illegal to remove a vin, 2 illegal to have a vin that was removed from a car & 3 illegal to have a car with it's vin removed. Most states all have these same laws. Most guys say who will ever know. But guess what I have know 2 different guys that were restoring high dollar cars (HEMI & a 440-6) both had removed there vin's. Both of these guys had there shops broken into & when they reported the break-ins, the cops took the cars because the vin's were removed. Even though both owners had the tags & all paper work to show the cars were not stolen. When the cars were returned both had new state asigned builders titles/vin's. There is no faster way to kill the value of a car then to have a builders title.

i don't know Michigan law so i can't comment on it.
in the constantly popping up threads about vins. every law ever posted there is a exemption in it allowing the transfer of vin tags for restoration purposes.
i am not 100% clear on the impounded and messed up vin comment but i have a comment regarding it as i understand it. now a restoration shop that removes a vin tag from a dash and doesn't immediately install it on the new dash should be shot or hung by the neck until he is dead. or if they didn't remove the tag and toss it in something it would be illegal to remove a E body dash because the vin # is attached to it.

according to the other VIN tag post that was running yesterday. all you have to do with the builder vin tag is register it in new york and you can get a reproduction VIN tag made. i think that that statement is hokey but the poster states he has had several made without any problems and it's 100% legal. you may have to pm the poster on that subject for more details.
© 2024 Moparts Forums