07/21/12 06:24 PM
07/21/12 06:24 PM
MA.
P
plymguy Offline OP
plymguy  Offline OP
P

MA.
My apology for a long post but this Fury is my daily car and I need some help.
1967 Plymouth Fury 318 engine w/points distributor.
It runs intermittently rough at idle and stalls occaisionly. It's fine at road speed and hills etc. It also makes that clicking solonoid sound when it turns over and when I come to a stop the radio cuts on and off.
I found that if I hot wire it by running a wire from battery + to the resistor, these problems are eliminated; smooth idle and no radio cutting out. I have checked the bulkhead connections and they appear to be in good shape, no burnt or corroded connectors.
Does this sound like the car is a good candidate for the ampmeter bypass set up and it it okay to run it hot wired like this until I can correct this ailment? As always, thank you for any help.
John

Re: Fury electrical questions [Re: plymguy] #1271602
07/21/12 08:04 PM
07/21/12 08:04 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

you will have to disconnect it to stop the engine.

make sure you connected it to the correct side and are not bypassing the resistor.

you will have to figure out where you are dropping power. it could be the fusible link, bulkhead, ignition switch, but doubtful it is the amp meter.

generally that only prevents charging, but start with the bypass first, by putting both wires on one post of the amp meter and see if that fixes it.

Re: Fury electrical questions [Re: Andrewh] #1271603
07/21/12 08:42 PM
07/21/12 08:42 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

make sure you connected it to the correct side and are not bypassing the resistor.

X2. Since bypassing the ign1 (run) circuit fixes it I'd start there working backward & checking connections from the resistor back to/thru the blue wire circuit in the bulkhead then to the ign switch & it's connector. I'd work on the bulkhead some more & using a small metal bristle brush to clean the male brass terminals and a spare male one to clean the female halves (NAPA 725147 if needed)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth