Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: DJVCuda] #1249573
06/18/12 04:19 AM
06/18/12 04:19 AM
Missouri
StrokerPost Offline
master
StrokerPost  Offline
master

Missouri
Back when I decided that I wanted to step up my cars performance I wondered the same thing and when word got out among my friends they all said "go with my guy, he's the best". What I did instead was take a couple of seasons and just watch.....watch who was going fast, who was spinning their motors hard and always race ready, meaning they were staying together all year. If there wasnt a sticker on a car of interest I would ask the guy who does his motor work and nothing else. At the end of a couple of seasons the vast majority of cars that fit my criteria were pretty evenly split between 2 shops, and one of them was closing the doors to go work for Reher and Morrison. I went to the other shop, talked with the owner for a bit and went from there. He showed me his shop, but I told him I wouldnt really know much about what you were showing me anyway and that his attitude, personality and reputation had already sold me. 13 years and thousands of rounds later I have zero regrets about my choice. In all those years I had only 2 failures of any kind, and they were parts failures, nothing within his control. All machine shops are gonna tell you "warm fuzzies" to hopefully win your business, but I look at what their product is doing at the track long before I talk with one. Just my .
Ken.

Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: StrokerPost] #1249574
06/18/12 05:54 AM
06/18/12 05:54 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
It's not easy to pick a good machinest. I have a few,1 for machine work and another for valve work and porting. One worked for Jim Oddy and others but I still tell him what I expect before I leave my stuff. He does mostly big HP chevys,Blown Hemis and such,but that doesn't mean he cannot pay attention to what I want done!Price is not a primary factor and I don't ask for it before I leave

Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: goldmember] #1249575
06/18/12 11:08 AM
06/18/12 11:08 AM
St Clair Shores, MI
DonnyBrass Offline
mopar
DonnyBrass  Offline
mopar

St Clair Shores, MI
I look at the girlie posters in the back of the shop; if they are 80's looking, I know they are not staying up on the latest technology..........

Chevy infiltrator 12.34 @ 109.45 with a 1.73 sixty foot

Pure Stock
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: DonnyBrass] #1249576
06/18/12 12:25 PM
06/18/12 12:25 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

I look at the girlie posters in the back of the shop; if they are 80's looking, I know they are not staying up on the latest technology..........

but on the other hand, would you want to look at those same girlies 30 years later??

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: Dago Red] #1249577
08/17/12 10:45 AM
08/17/12 10:45 AM
MD
Motoman172 Offline
Motoman172  Offline

MD
Quote:

EASY.............

The machine shop that doesn't think every engine is based on a small block Chevy.

LOVE IT!!!!

Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: StrokerPost] #1249578
08/17/12 12:44 PM
08/17/12 12:44 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
Quote:

Back when I decided that I wanted to step up my cars performance I wondered the same thing and when word got out among my friends they all said "go with my guy, he's the best". What I did instead was take a couple of seasons and just watch.....watch who was going fast, who was spinning their motors hard and always race ready, meaning they were staying together all year. If there wasnt a sticker on a car of interest I would ask the guy who does his motor work and nothing else. At the end of a couple of seasons the vast majority of cars that fit my criteria were pretty evenly split between 2 shops, and one of them was closing the doors to go work for Reher and Morrison. I went to the other shop, talked with the owner for a bit and went from there. He showed me his shop, but I told him I wouldnt really know much about what you were showing me anyway and that his attitude, personality and reputation had already sold me. 13 years and thousands of rounds later I have zero regrets about my choice. In all those years I had only 2 failures of any kind, and they were parts failures, nothing within his control. All machine shops are gonna tell you "warm fuzzies" to hopefully win your business, but I look at what their product is doing at the track long before I talk with one. Just my .
Ken.

Coming from someone who builds engines, this is very good advice and extremely logical...I am often shocked at why some people choose who they do, and the " razzle dazzle" and dog and poney show some shops put on to get customers.We have a local guy who hasnt ever won a damn thing, but because he has a fast car, guys go to him like he's a King...and it always amazes me...great post..

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #1249579
08/17/12 02:21 PM
08/17/12 02:21 PM
campbell river B.C
M
mopartoby Offline
enthusiast
mopartoby  Offline
enthusiast
M

campbell river B.C
i've always built my own stuff and used a machine shop a few hrs away from me. when it came time to build my 605 b1mc i wanted someone that builds high horse (1000+)mopar motors regularly. that pretty much narrowed the field down immensly. i started emailing a few shops, all south of the boarder. (im canuck):). anyways it boiled down to one builder, i won't mention his name as my motor is not complete yet but he says it will be on the dyno in about a week. i chose him because when i talked to him he was very honest!! he never told me what i wanted. i wanted to upgrade a few things and down grade some others. i wanted to use a certain brand spring he never argued. the only thing he was head strong on was choice of carbs. and in the end if that what he uses all the time, im good with that as long as my hp# is met. he never tried to up sell anything! he's also been very propmt with answering any of my q's. this shop has been around for years and has built championship engines. he was also the only builder to return an email to me.

Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: mopartoby] #1249580
08/17/12 02:49 PM
08/17/12 02:49 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well being military folks we have moved around a lot over the years. So I am not sure I have ever found a formula that works for this issue. We do build stuff for other folks and yes I have someone build my own stuff for the race cars. Just feel 1000+ hp stuff is above my pay grade. When it comes to that stuff I am MORE than happy with the guy who does those for me. Jason Pettis is a very smart guy and I think his record speaks for itself. He will continue to be my guy for all that kind of stuff.

I am currently still trying to find a local shop to do some of the simpler stuff we need done from time to time. I ask local racers and look at what they do with thier cars. I look around at the local circle track stuff as well as they tend to use a machinist more than the local drag racers do. I also have asked around at other shops who thye use or recommend. Seems many bracket guys build an engine once every 10 years or so Frankly when it comes to bracket stuff it is really hard to tell sometimes how well stuff was done. I mean it is not rocket science to build a low 10 second car, sorry but its the truth. You can do many things wrong and still get there. In the end I talk to a lot of folks and then make a decision on a shop to use after talking to the shop owner. Then we usualy give them something fairly simple to accomplish and then we check it over thoroughly. As I say I am still looking for a compitent shop here

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1249581
08/17/12 04:42 PM
08/17/12 04:42 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I`ve been going to Pettis for years like, Jason was a kid years and will continue to do so till I`m too far away to make it happen. I like using the same people(if possible)do do my work in many areas of my life..........been going to the same parts store for 15+ years also. I like it when people know me by name, respect me and are honest........good or bad and Pettis has given me that and a motor that runs pretty well for the junk that`s in it.........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: StrokerPost] #1249582
08/18/12 11:39 AM
08/18/12 11:39 AM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
You have to get used to the fact that some experts (meaning: excellent work, few failures) are not nice people.
Big ego, never on time, liar, won't accept criticism, out to make every buck, bad-mouths all competitors.

No, I won't give a name.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: polyspheric] #1249583
08/18/12 01:17 PM
08/18/12 01:17 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

You have to get used to the fact that some experts (meaning: excellent work, few failures) are not nice people.
Big ego, never on time, liar, won't accept criticism, out to make every buck, bad-mouths all competitors.

No, I won't give a name.

This applys to some(Indy)but not all and I`ve met those types and never gave them the time of day or a dime of my money. There are a few on here who I wouldn`t think twice about doing my work if/when I re-locate..............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: What do you look for in a Machine Shop/ Engine Builder? [Re: DJVCuda] #1249584
08/21/12 12:37 PM
08/21/12 12:37 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
S
SmokeyBurnout 67 Offline
SmokeyBurnout 67  Offline
S

Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone is different and has different needs. Engine builders should listen to what their customer wants, how the car/truck is being used etc in order to make the best judgement on what the customer would need. Many customers come to use with what they think they want because everyone told them it was "cool" or bigger is better- not always the case and typically they are wrong. We have quick educational session, outline a suggestion and let the customer make the decision on what will work for them. Engine builders (if they arent doing their own machining) should already have a machine shop they deal with, you the customer shouldnt have to worry about that. Just my two cents.

KJ

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3