Indiana
470DART Offline
enthusiast
470DART  Offline
enthusiast

Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know what type of injury occurred so that the rest of us can guard against it in the case of a mishap?

armco rail went through the car with obvious results...sadly there's only one way to guard against that, don't race at a track that has it.

i'm sure i might get flamed for this but on another site a member made mention of some of the (ever increasing) nhra and ihra regulations regarding safety equipment and such. then went on to mention that perhaps some of this would be better invested in making facilities (racing surface and surroundings) safer to begin with.

i fully agree with this opinion.

i don't know how many tracks still use these type barriers but i'm sure there's still a fair amount and i know i've run at a lot of them over the years.

with regards to safety, engineering controls are to be used preferential to safety equipment with safety equipment being your last line of defense. what this means it don't try to build a car that will survive accidents such as this but better yet remove the hazard (rail) to begin with.

this may sound ridiculous to some but personally i think the large sum of money that is WASTED on replacing belts that's there's nothing wrong with every two years would be better spent towards removing this particular hazard from tracks. i wouldn't really call this a freak accident, one of US is no longer here because of these rails and it could happen to anyone running next to these rails.

it's a horrible accident and the least that can be hoped for is that it brings to the forefront a problem and solution so we don't see more stories like it.

anyhow that's how i see it

I hardly ever commit on MOPARTS. However this is dead on correct in my opinion. The NHRA requires us to abide by all these safety rules which is great. I think it's time that tracks be made safer too.

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: Hemi Joe] #1248077
06/11/12 02:00 AM
06/11/12 02:00 AM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline
master

Heaven
Terrible news. RIP Mr. Mooore......

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand"

- A. Einstein
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: bigtimeauto] #1248078
06/11/12 01:59 PM
06/11/12 01:59 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline
pro stock
S

TN
http://youtu.be/tislRsnJKPU

This link to his car. Was very impressive Dart. This is Not the wreck scene

Old Geezer Racing
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: 470DART] #1248079
06/11/12 02:28 PM
06/11/12 02:28 PM
Hamilton,Ont
72chrgrally Offline
top fuel
72chrgrally  Offline
top fuel

Hamilton,Ont
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know what type of injury occurred so that the rest of us can guard against it in the case of a mishap?

armco rail went through the car with obvious results...sadly there's only one way to guard against that, don't race at a track that has it.

i'm sure i might get flamed for this but on another site a member made mention of some of the (ever increasing) nhra and ihra regulations regarding safety equipment and such. then went on to mention that perhaps some of this would be better invested in making facilities (racing surface and surroundings) safer to begin with.

i don't know how many tracks still use these type barriers but i'm sure there's still a fair amount and i know i've run at a lot of them over the years.

with regards to safety, engineering controls are to be used preferential to safety equipment with safety equipment being your last line of defense. what this means it don't try to build a car that will survive accidents such as this but better yet remove the hazard (rail) to begin with.

this may sound ridiculous to some but personally i think the large sum of money that is WASTED on replacing belts that's there's nothing wrong with every two years would be better spent towards removing this particular hazard from tracks. i wouldn't really call this a freak accident, one of US is no longer here because of these rails and it could happen to anyone running next to these rails.

it's a horrible accident and the least that can be hoped for is that it brings to the forefront a problem and solution so we don't see more stories like it.

I hardly ever commit on MOPARTS. However this is dead on correct in my opinion. The NHRA requires us to abide by all these safety rules which is great. I think it's time that tracks be made safer too.

I've often wondered if there are minimum safety standards that a track has to need for NHRA/IHRA certification. We the racers are required to abide by rules but are the facilities required to do so as well? This is just a question and not a judgment on the track in question.

Steve

Photobucket sucks
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: 72chrgrally] #1248080
06/11/12 02:41 PM
06/11/12 02:41 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've often wondered if there are minimum safety standards that a track has to need for NHRA/IHRA certification. We the racers are required to abide by rules but are the facilities required to do so as well? This is just a question and not a judgment on the track in question.

Steve

there has been nothing said here that I could ever disagree with, we as racers have to abide by the safty rules, I feel the track owners should be required to provide a safe racing environment, this was a tragic accident that I feel could of been prevented if the racing environment had been different.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: dartman366] #1248081
06/11/12 02:53 PM
06/11/12 02:53 PM
northern,Ohio,USA
C
Clanton Offline
master
Clanton  Offline
master
C

northern,Ohio,USA
It was said on YB that the rail went through the bars not between them to do what it did.

GOTBOOST!New improved with Victor heads.
http://www.enginelabs.com/mopar-big-bloc...t-of-necessity/
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: Clanton] #1248082
06/11/12 03:04 PM
06/11/12 03:04 PM
in a chair
mopartony Offline
master
mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
Sure those rails on the right angle will go through the bars like a knife. Don't want to imagine what it would do to a body.

They should have gotten rid of them years ago.

I can only immagine how bad it was in the car, in fact I really don't want to imagine how bad it was....

You can ask JD McDuffy's widow about the safey of those barriers. I think it was Watkins Glenn, NASCAR race. Rusty Wallace stopped at the wreck because he saw the barrier IN the car where the A-Pillar USED to be. He went to his car got on the radio and reportedly said to not rush it was over.

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: mopartony] #1248083
06/11/12 08:29 PM
06/11/12 08:29 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I would guess it is a kind of Catch-22. Tracks won't spend the money to replace them if we keep coming out and racing. If we stop going to race the tracks will close.

Bottom line is that tracks won't change unless WE force them to.

Quite honestly, I never give the wall/rail much thought. My junk is so slow I'm not sure it would make it to the wall.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: slantzilla] #1248084
06/13/12 11:45 PM
06/13/12 11:45 PM
Tennessee
S
steeldust Offline
mopar
steeldust  Offline
mopar
S

Tennessee
I am so sorry for him and his family it is hard to think about things like this some times but it`s nice to here he has a lot of friends to help his family . GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY

7249569-DSC1964-M.jpg (44 downloads)
Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: steeldust] #1248085
06/14/12 04:09 AM
06/14/12 04:09 AM
Texas
R
racer_amx Offline
mopar
racer_amx  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
RIP

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: racer_amx] #1248086
06/14/12 10:43 AM
06/14/12 10:43 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Terrible news, just terrible. rip

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip [Re: ZIPPY] #1248087
06/14/12 11:17 AM
06/14/12 11:17 AM
west coast
P
produster Offline
produster  Offline
P

west coast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6IY...e_gdata_player

I hope the link works. This is the video of the aftermath. It is not east to watch.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3