Moparts

Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip

Posted By: ProSport

Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 12:52 AM

I've been told the nice gentleman with a stick shift Dart in the Renegade class had a very unfortunate wreck today. His family and friends are in our thoughts.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:02 AM

Sad day for sure. RIP

here the link to the bullet. Seems like he hit the meteal gaurdrail.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479720
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:08 AM

Very sad. Saw him post a few times on FABO.

Posted By: moparniac

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:09 AM

RIP
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:19 AM

Terrible accident!! Was he a member here? The car looks familiar. RIP Mopar Bro...
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:19 AM

i know a lot of tracks are struggling and drag racing faces real challenging times but imho those armco barriers have no place along a drag strip
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:25 AM

Very sad to hear.

I have some good friends that race at Thompson. One of them has a 69 stick Dart. My heart skipped a beat, then I remembered I just ported his heads and the car isn't together yet.

Very sobering none the less.
Posted By: griff70440

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:32 AM

very sad day for everyone. Nice guy,I will miss him. he would always make time to stop by the trailer to say hi and talk cars.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:35 AM

That's horrible, RIP my brother, prayers to the family and friends.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:42 AM

Not a good thing. I met Richard Moore at Norwalk. Didn't know him well but a very personable guy. We talked about our combo's and that fact that our cars were similar in color. Bronze 69 dart Stick, 8 second car. I'll pray for him. He's posted here,not sure his user name.
Doug
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:49 AM

I looked at the pics, saw the guardrail, and wanted to puke. I cannot use the words on this forum to express how I feel about tracks that still use this outdated and dangerous "safety device". Most of the tracks still using that garbage are broke or cheap, so it usually is in bad shape on top of it all. RIP Rich...
Racing was cancelled after the wreck, and the State Patrol was there investigating. The Renegade Racing Association racers all donated their entry fees to his family instead of taking a raincheck.

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:56 AM

i raced bikes for some time many years ago going as fast as 8.0 and that stuff is just scary. seems i remember hearing they lost two prostock riders on the same lap at one track, i believe they both slid under the bottom rail. that stuff just seems like velcro for machines, once touched it pulls stuff in and shreds itself and the car.

i think every racer gets a knot in their stomach seeing things like this, whether you know the person or not he is a brother.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:28 AM

Very sad news indeed I seen him at a few stick races
Gus

Attached picture 7243512-Renegade281.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:29 AM

Godspeed Mr. Moore.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:38 AM

RIP
That was a nice ride.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:47 AM

Quote:

RIP
That was a nice ride.

RIP
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:51 AM

Quote:

RIP
That was a nice ride.

My buddy Johnboy took that picture today on his last pass
We sure are losing our friends at a rapid pace this year
Gus
Posted By: toddd

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 03:14 AM

R I P Rich.
Posted By: 68valiant68

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 03:30 AM

R I P Richard. We lost a great person today, prayers sent for his family. He will be missed by all that knew him.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 04:11 AM

My Prayers are with the racers family and friends.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 04:25 AM

So sorry to hear of this. May he RIP. Ron
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 04:53 AM

RIP

Very sad news
Posted By: Red440

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 07:14 AM

hate to here this , RIP Brother our prayers are with him and his family
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 12:50 PM

R.I.P. my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:47 PM

It is very disturbing to hear of a fellow racer taking his final pass this way. Although a releif to see that his final breath was shortly after one of the best fealing moments in life, DRAG RACING.

Rest In Peace fellow racer.

Leon
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 01:49 PM

Very sad news. Race in peace.....

Randy
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:02 PM

This am i read a post on yb, by the man's friend explaining his last words pretty much,very tuff to read indeed..always sad when a person is injured or worse doing what is a love/hobby..heart felt. R I P
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 02:12 PM

Very sorry to read this, RIP.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 03:40 PM

Very sad to hear this RIP Rich

Rick Blake
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 03:54 PM

Joey
Posted By: headhunter

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 04:23 PM

r.i.p
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 04:24 PM

A very nice person has been lost. Rich was always pleasant to chat with at UMTR races. Our thoughts and prayers to his family.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 04:30 PM

RIP
That was a nice ride.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 09:21 PM

Truly sad .

Does anyone know what type of injury occurred so that the rest of us can guard against it in the case of a mishap?
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 09:27 PM

Quote:

Truly sad .

Does anyone know what type of injury occurred so that the rest of us can guard against it in the case of a mishap?

From posts on other sites the k-rail came through the car. Nothing anyone could do about it.

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 10:02 PM

Quote:

armco rail went through the car with obvious results...sadly there's only one way to guard against that, don't race at a track that has it.

i'm sure i might get flamed for this but on another site a member made mention of some of the (ever increasing) nhra and ihra regulations regarding safety equipment and such. then went on to mention that perhaps some of this would be better invested in making facilities (racing surface and surroundings) safer to begin with.

i fully agree with this opinion.

i don't know how many tracks still use these type barriers but i'm sure there's still a fair amount and i know i've run at a lot of them over the years.

with regards to safety, engineering controls are to be used preferential to safety equipment with safety equipment being your last line of defense. what this means it don't try to build a car that will survive accidents such as this but better yet remove the hazard (rail) to begin with.

this may sound ridiculous to some but personally i think the large sum of money that is WASTED on replacing belts that's there's nothing wrong with every two years would be better spent towards removing this particular hazard from tracks. i wouldn't really call this a freak accident, one of US is no longer here because of these rails and it could happen to anyone running next to these rails.

it's a horrible accident and the least that can be hoped for is that it brings to the forefront a problem and solution so we don't see more stories like it.

anyhow that's how i see it
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

i wouldn't really call this a freak accident, one of US is no longer here because of these rails and it could happen to anyone running next to these rails.

it's a horrible accident and the least that can be hoped for is that it brings to the forefront a problem and solution so we don't see more stories like it.

I know of two Orlando Speedworld regulars that had wrecks where the Armco got into the cabin/cockpit. The first was ~25 years ago at Gainesville in the shutdown area, door car, driver suffered severe and permanent foot damage. Second was ~18 years ago at Southern Dragway in GA, rear motor digger, gruesome outcome.

When watching the video of Richard making a pass in his Dart, you could see he had many friends and family that supported him. I feel sorry for their loss.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 11:35 PM

I know who it is. I talked with him a little a few times at Thompson.
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/10/12 11:54 PM

Sorry to hear the news fellow MOPAR Racer. I never met him but his family and friend have our sympthay. RIP HEMI JOE - ENDANGERED SPECIES RACING. I also understand that their was another car in the other lane who became involved. If so, may he have a speedy recovery.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 12:31 AM

Here's a good run by Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpsIq5sn5PE
Posted By: 470DART

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 02:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

armco rail went through the car with obvious results...sadly there's only one way to guard against that, don't race at a track that has it.

i'm sure i might get flamed for this but on another site a member made mention of some of the (ever increasing) nhra and ihra regulations regarding safety equipment and such. then went on to mention that perhaps some of this would be better invested in making facilities (racing surface and surroundings) safer to begin with.

i don't know how many tracks still use these type barriers but i'm sure there's still a fair amount and i know i've run at a lot of them over the years.

with regards to safety, engineering controls are to be used preferential to safety equipment with safety equipment being your last line of defense. what this means it don't try to build a car that will survive accidents such as this but better yet remove the hazard (rail) to begin with.

this may sound ridiculous to some but personally i think the large sum of money that is WASTED on replacing belts that's there's nothing wrong with every two years would be better spent towards removing this particular hazard from tracks. i wouldn't really call this a freak accident, one of US is no longer here because of these rails and it could happen to anyone running next to these rails.

I hardly ever commit on MOPARTS. However this is dead on correct in my opinion. The NHRA requires us to abide by all these safety rules which is great. I think it's time that tracks be made safer too.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 06:00 AM

Terrible news. RIP Mr. Mooore......
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 05:59 PM

http://youtu.be/tislRsnJKPU

This link to his car. Was very impressive Dart. This is Not the wreck scene
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hardly ever commit on MOPARTS. However this is dead on correct in my opinion. The NHRA requires us to abide by all these safety rules which is great. I think it's time that tracks be made safer too.

I've often wondered if there are minimum safety standards that a track has to need for NHRA/IHRA certification. We the racers are required to abide by rules but are the facilities required to do so as well? This is just a question and not a judgment on the track in question.

Steve
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've often wondered if there are minimum safety standards that a track has to need for NHRA/IHRA certification. We the racers are required to abide by rules but are the facilities required to do so as well? This is just a question and not a judgment on the track in question.

Steve

there has been nothing said here that I could ever disagree with, we as racers have to abide by the safty rules, I feel the track owners should be required to provide a safe racing environment, this was a tragic accident that I feel could of been prevented if the racing environment had been different.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 06:53 PM

It was said on YB that the rail went through the bars not between them to do what it did.
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/11/12 07:04 PM

Sure those rails on the right angle will go through the bars like a knife. Don't want to imagine what it would do to a body.

They should have gotten rid of them years ago.

I can only immagine how bad it was in the car, in fact I really don't want to imagine how bad it was....

You can ask JD McDuffy's widow about the safey of those barriers. I think it was Watkins Glenn, NASCAR race. Rusty Wallace stopped at the wreck because he saw the barrier IN the car where the A-Pillar USED to be. He went to his car got on the radio and reportedly said to not rush it was over.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/12/12 12:29 AM

I would guess it is a kind of Catch-22. Tracks won't spend the money to replace them if we keep coming out and racing. If we stop going to race the tracks will close.

Bottom line is that tracks won't change unless WE force them to.

Quite honestly, I never give the wall/rail much thought. My junk is so slow I'm not sure it would make it to the wall.
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/14/12 03:45 AM

I am so sorry for him and his family it is hard to think about things like this some times but it`s nice to here he has a lot of friends to help his family . GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY

Attached picture 7249569-DSC1964-M.jpg
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/14/12 08:09 AM

RIP
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/14/12 02:43 PM

Terrible news, just terrible. rip
Posted By: produster

Re: Bad news from Thompson Dragstrip - 06/14/12 03:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6IY...e_gdata_player

I hope the link works. This is the video of the aftermath. It is not east to watch.

© 2024 Moparts Forums