06/14/12 03:26 PM
06/14/12 03:26 PM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
Quote:

Quote:

I've bump steered my Barracuda, and I don't have massive bump steer. Pretty close to what a new Challenger is. Have you bump steered your car yourself?

Caster gain typically comes from anti dive in the upper control arm. Stock coil spring cars have similar anti dive angles. There are templetes that alter caster gain by removing anti dive (guldstrand templetes)

Can you show us the measurements of the Caster gain on a stock:
1970 Chevelle?
1970 Mustang?
1970 Camaro?
And compare those measured on popular Mopar models?

Porsche 911's had torsion bars up to about 10 years ago. Sprint cars all run torsion bars.

Let's see...

Yes.

I agree, but in so saying you agree that the upper a-arm is moved from it's stock location.

Nope, don't own any of those. And don't care, not comparing to a Chevelle/Camaro/Mustang.

Some sprint cars do use a torsion bar, but I've never seen one. Also, many sprint cars use a Jacob's ladder rear susension. Those boys aren't right...

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244319
06/14/12 04:26 PM
06/14/12 04:26 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
I am not saying anything. I am just providing more information. There was a really good thread about this with Mopar Actions input on the site. It was moved to the Tech page. There is a link below.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=1

Ryan

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244320
06/14/12 04:28 PM
06/14/12 04:28 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I've bump steered my Barracuda, and I don't have massive bump steer. Pretty close to what a new Challenger is. Have you bump steered your car yourself?

Caster gain typically comes from anti dive in the upper control arm. Stock coil spring cars have similar anti dive angles. There are templetes that alter caster gain by removing anti dive (guldstrand templetes)

Can you show us the measurements of the Caster gain on a stock:
1970 Chevelle?
1970 Mustang?
1970 Camaro?
And compare those measured on popular Mopar models?

Porsche 911's had torsion bars up to about 10 years ago. Sprint cars all run torsion bars.

Quote:

Let's see...

Yes.

What body type? What were your bump steer numbers?

Quote:

I agree, but in so saying you agree that the upper a-arm is moved from it's stock location.

My A-body UCA has not been moved from stock pickup points.

Quote:

Nope, don't own any of those. And don't care, not comparing to a Chevelle/Camaro/Mustang.

Then what are you comparing it too? You say it's crap, that's implying you're comparing it to something.

Quote:

In fact, I can't recall seeing a torsion bar suspension on ANY race car that takes corners in the last 25 years. If it is so f-ing good, you would think someone would use it...

Full purpose built class road race or circle track cars need lots of adjustabilty. And do so within a budget of a race team. Guys driving street cars don't have 10 sets of front springs, 8 other shocks, mulitple upper control arms, adjustable suspension pick up points with slugs, on and on and on...

I didn't think this discussion was on full road race or circle track cars racing within class rules. I don't think an Alterkion or any other pre made bolt on front end for Mopar would be an optimal setup for those types of racing nor thier class rules.

Torsion might not be the best for all situations. Mostly packaging and part availability reasons. But I don't think they are inherently crap. It's just another way to stick a spring on any suspension linkage.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 06/14/12 04:44 PM.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244321
06/14/12 04:33 PM
06/14/12 04:33 PM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
Did I mention I love stirring the pot?

Looks like it worked...

And it's still crap, as I pointed out before that's ->
Don't like it, too bad.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244322
06/14/12 04:46 PM
06/14/12 04:46 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Did I mention I love stirring the pot?

Looks like it worked...

And it's still crap, as I pointed out before that's ->
Don't like it, too bad.

So your points are pointless.

You are just stirring the pot as you admit to. You are just here to antagonize.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244323
06/14/12 06:55 PM
06/14/12 06:55 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL

Looks like he hooked one too.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: slantzilla] #1244324
06/14/12 08:16 PM
06/14/12 08:16 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Must be slow days in Milford, watching the grass grow and paint dry.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: PHJ426] #1244325
06/14/12 08:26 PM
06/14/12 08:26 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Is the lady with the rod from "Milford" ?

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 67autocross] #1244326
06/14/12 08:32 PM
06/14/12 08:32 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Quote:

Is the lady with the rod from "Milford" ?

I doubt that...........if she was originally she fled as soon as she could, 68Plymouths is from there and he was so I couldn't help and had to ask him how slow things are in Milford........as to make a pointless diversion here on the topic.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244327
06/14/12 08:45 PM
06/14/12 08:45 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

In fact, I can't recall seeing a torsion bar suspension on ANY race car that takes corners in the last 25 years. If it is so f-ing good, you would think someone would use it...

Go away and start fires somewhere else.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: PHJ426] #1244328
06/14/12 08:59 PM
06/14/12 08:59 PM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
Quote:

Always!!!!

Just because I'm , doesn't mean that my points are pointless. I just know that no matter what points are made there are some purists that believe the MOPAR torsion bar suspension is the greatest thing ever. If you want it on your car, that's fine with me. But why knock what someone else is doing??? The Alterkation seems to to be a pretty darn good system. I've hatcheted up my Satellite by building a tubular/coil-over front suspension that corrects the geometry issues in the original design, but someone on here looked at the pics and said it was "junk." (Frankenduster, I believe ) I invite him to come here and see it in person. Things are kinda slow in corn country, since the corn hasn't even tasselled out yet, so I have plenty of time.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Kern Dog] #1244329
06/14/12 10:21 PM
06/14/12 10:21 PM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
Quote:

Quote:

Porsche 911sc has t bars in the rear

1966 Dart GT ...down to only 1 mopar for the first time in 15 years!
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 340duster340] #1244330
06/14/12 10:59 PM
06/14/12 10:59 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
68Plymouths

How close is your modification to the RMS Alterkation deal. I will have to search for it and check it out.

I kinda doubt the corn will be knee high up in the northern part of IL by July 4th.....just no rain maybe that will change next week?

I have no problem with them T bars since Im not running headers or anything that far from stock on my 72 Runner.

As an engineering student you learn its all about compromise especially when (T bars) are a production type mass produced for the masses kind of a product.

Now granted there are a few guys here that can take that Tbar system and make it work better then most guys would even dream of. Does that make it the only way to skin the cat no. But if that is pretty much obtainable and keep the car looking mosty stock with the right mods here and there...that is the path I will choose.

Not to say the guy that opens his wallet with the top dollar XV system or Alterk or other methods is doing anything wrong just different...

So lets see some pics of your front end 68Plymouths...

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244331
06/15/12 01:46 AM
06/15/12 01:46 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Always!!!!

Just because I'm , doesn't mean that my points are pointless. I just know that no matter what points are made there are some purists that believe the MOPAR torsion bar suspension is the greatest thing ever. If you want it on your car, that's fine with me. But why knock what someone else is doing??? The Alterkation seems to to be a pretty darn good system. I've hatcheted up my Satellite by building a tubular/coil-over front suspension that corrects the geometry issues in the original design, but someone on here looked at the pics and said it was "junk." (Frankenduster, I believe ) I invite him to come here and see it in person. Things are kinda slow in corn country, since the corn hasn't even tasselled out yet, so I have plenty of time.

I'm not saying the T-bars are the greatest ever. Just ONE of the ways to do put a spring on the system.

Alterkation is not "junk" either.

Nor is your system junk. It seems close to stock geometry with just the anti dive taken out it. And you chose to attach the spring at the end of the LCA. And chose to use a coil type spring. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6622247

68Plymouths'

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244332
06/15/12 02:51 AM
06/15/12 02:51 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
It was cool to read Mopar Actions Bob Tarzolli(sp)bio about the Trans Am E-body days and how Gurney insisted on taking all the anti-dive out of those cars against Bobs better judgement. SO he did and they drove like sh** and were quickly put back the way they were.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 72Swinger] #1244333
06/15/12 03:05 AM
06/15/12 03:05 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

It was cool to read Mopar Actions Bob Tarzolli(sp)bio about the Trans Am E-body days and how Gurney insisted on taking all the anti-dive out of those cars against Bobs better judgement. SO he did and they drove like sh** and were quickly put back the way they were.

We had Bob Tarozzi in person at Spring Fling Speed Festival a while back and I heard that story first hand.

Bob eluded that Dan Gurney wasn't real helpful testing. He had such a great talent to compensate for the a race car with issues that it was tough to judge what adjustments were good or bad. It was more helpful having Swede test it.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244334
06/15/12 09:55 AM
06/15/12 09:55 AM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Always!!!!

I'm not saying the T-bars are the greatest ever. Just ONE of the ways to do put a spring on the system.

Nor is your system junk. It seems close to stock geometry with just the anti dive taken out it. And you chose to attach the spring at the end of the LCA. And chose to use a coil type spring. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6622247

68Plymouths'

I've also changed the pick-up points for the tie-rods to minimize bump steer. Just finished painting and am doing final assembly. I still need to finish the brake lines and align it to see what it's going to do. My whole idea was to correct the basic issues with the stock system without having to buy a $3,000+ k-member. I saw the Hotchkiss a-arms for $800 and thought I could do it a lot cheaper (not counting my time of course) Plus I like cutting s**t apart and doing my own thing. I probably have $200 in materials, not counting the coil-overs, which were semi-donated to the project by Slantzilla.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244335
06/15/12 11:16 AM
06/15/12 11:16 AM
MA
G
Greg55_99 Offline
enthusiast
Greg55_99  Offline
enthusiast
G

MA
Quote:

I've also changed the pick-up points for the tie-rods to minimize bump steer. Just finished painting and am doing final assembly. I still need to finish the brake lines and align it to see what it's going to do. My whole idea was to correct the basic issues with the stock system without having to buy a $3,000+ k-member. I saw the Hotchkiss a-arms for $800 and thought I could do it a lot cheaper (not counting my time of course) Plus I like cutting s**t apart and doing my own thing. I probably have $200 in materials, not counting the coil-overs, which were semi-donated to the project by Slantzilla.

I just picked up this crossmember. I'm like you.... I like doing my own thing (within reason....)

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7241678

Greg

Last edited by Greg55_99; 06/15/12 11:18 AM.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244336
06/15/12 11:17 AM
06/15/12 11:17 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Always!!!!

68Plymouths'

Any plans for bracing the upper shock mount? And for using the LCA "pin hole", did you make a tapered sleeve for the bolt so it wouldn't be able to walk in the rear mounting location? And lastly, will the strut rod be able to provide enough "anti-roll" to the LCA? Seems like the LCA could twist pretty easily. Other than that seems like a pretty cool design as long as you cage the rest of the car.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1244337
06/15/12 11:37 AM
06/15/12 11:37 AM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
I am planning on bracing the upper shock mount. The lower is held into the k-member with a 2" long threaded bung welded into the k-member and I've added a bracket to the frame (not seen in this picture) to make the LCA mounting a double shear point. The LCA arm is isn't on a heim, it is a rubber bushed mounting sold by Speedway. I've added a jam nut, so there will be some deflection in the bushing, but I don't anticipate it will roll much.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-QA1-Adventure-Series-Rock-Ends-w-Bushing,9387.html

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10