06/03/12 08:49 PM
06/03/12 08:49 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Thanks for your input! For years I've been looking at all the aftermarket systems out there and "IF" I was to swap out the stock set up I think the RMS front set up is the only aftermarket set up I'd look at.
I'm quite happy playing with in the "stock" parts bins to come up with a better handling solution. I'm pretty happy with the results from what I've come up with so far , and with not really a lot of money spent also. I've spent about $1000 on my front end and IMO vastly improved over stock. That being said I'm no "expert" I just enjoy the challenge of getting the most out of the stock design. Im sure it will be a constant evolution and they are "never done" that just what we tell our wives to keep them happy!

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244299
06/03/12 09:29 PM
06/03/12 09:29 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

... Leaf springs from my experience can be unforgiving and overly sensitive to imperfections in the road. Perhaps a tunable set of AFCOs can provide the desired results.

In my racing experience setting up, crewing, and building... the leaf springs are more forgiving on the track than a 4 link or link type rear.

By happenstance sort of, our track changed the rules to allow 4 link rear suspension. Nothing else really changed. We put a new rear clip with 4 link on one of our cars. But the other 3 driver development cars ran had leaf springs. Sometimes the leaf springs car would win and sometimes they would not. Our most experienced driver (multi champ, 2nd in track history with wins) said the leaf spring car were more forgiving on the track.

The biggest gain with the 4 link was adjust ability. Rear steer, roll center, weight jacks, roll steer, spring rate changes, availible consistent spring rates, etc were now much easier and more precise to change between test sessions. But the 4 link systems are more expensive to repair and not as impact resistant as a leaf spring setup. You end up replacing bent track bars and bent expensive track bar sperical rod ends.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 06/03/12 09:33 PM.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: brads70] #1244300
06/03/12 09:30 PM
06/03/12 09:30 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
The one and only alter k I've touched had a broken weld at that tie rod sleeve that is welded to the steering arm. In other higher end systems they use dropped steering arms to eliminate that problem. The smaller than stock wheel bearings are also a little puzzling to me. But then again, I'm sure its fine for most.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1244301
06/04/12 01:16 AM
06/04/12 01:16 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
That purple Dart is bad ass.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244302
06/04/12 11:26 AM
06/04/12 11:26 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Not sure what you need to hear to feel safe about your purchase. Usage and mileage certainly are factors and if your car is not a daily driver and you live in an area where roads are decently maintained, you may never have any issues.

If its any consolation, there are strut suspensions out that that do not have the magic 16" load spread on the control arms and they manage to absorb a fair amount of abuse along with daily usage. While they can and do occasionally fail, it certainly has some mitigating factors, such as maintanence, and is typically not a major newsworthy item. Is that to say the AlterK is all that, I dont' know. I've never used one. But it isn't a huge bane to reliability either.

IMO, a lot of the benefit of these aftermarket suspensions comes in a few key areas; reduced weight, improved precision, greater adjustability and match spring/shock rates to the application.

To address these; you can reduce weight in the nose of the car in more economical ways than replacing the entire suspension. Fiberglass cost about $10 a pound to loose weight with. An Alterk costs you around $50 a pound.

Improved precision is often times comparing used original or partially rebuilt systems to an entirely brand new conversion. I would epxect all new everything to have better precision than original. Will a R&P maintain that precision for longer than a recirculating ball gear box, probably. But I also doubt most of these cars are accumulating that many miles any more to make a fair comparison a decade later.

Greater adjustability is a benefit that is not as easily obtained with stock parts. The factory mopar design does have limitations, but can usually show sizeable improvements with a few key pieces being changed out. If you drive in an environment that necessitates rapid changes to spring and shock rates or slight variations in geometric changes, then the aftermarket set ups do have a considerable advantage. However, this tends to be highly contested competitive environments where a lot of this vintage of mopar do not play.

Finally is the matching of spring/shock rates to the application. This is, IMO, the biggest benefit of these systems as you have the designers or technical staff designating what peices play well together. Contrast this to your average street enthusiast who tends to buy the biggest this and the cheapest that and munges them all together and then its easy to see why things don't perform well and along the way the car has lost a fair amount of reliability and comfort as well as performance. If you can understand how all the peices work together and where to compromise and where to splurge to get the matched set up to ahcieve the proper rates sets and percentages, it is entirely possible for a 40 year old design to match a modern design in performance and comfort. But, not everyone can pull that rabbit out of the hat and if thats the case, you may be better served by having someone else figure it all out for you.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: TC@HP2] #1244303
06/04/12 08:44 PM
06/04/12 08:44 PM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
Daniel Niclas  Offline OP
D

Thank you TC@HP2 for this very helpful and insightful response. As mentioned before there are many good solutions depending on the circumstances. I will approach use of my new system the same way I approach any repair or upgrade: with restrained enthusiasm.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Supercuda] #1244304
06/09/12 05:21 PM
06/09/12 05:21 PM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
Daniel Niclas  Offline OP
D

Quote:

You got your degree in engineering where?

Mickey Mouse U?

If you cannot get a stock based E body suspension to handle better than a Camry you are in absolutely NO position to comment on the validity of anything mechanical or suspension related.

Bachelor’s degree: UC Berkeley
Ph.D.: UC Los Angeles (kinda close to Disney Land :-)

Where did you get your degree?

I didn’t join this board to discredit anyone or proclaim my expertise, merely to get help

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244305
06/09/12 09:51 PM
06/09/12 09:51 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Hard knock U

If you cannot get a stock based Mopar suspension to handle better than a Camry you are still not in a position to comment on it regardless of how high or deep it's piled.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Supercuda] #1244306
06/09/12 11:50 PM
06/09/12 11:50 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
While I do agree with the above comment, it is sorta harsh to post for all to see.
Handling dynamics are complicated. For example: A mediocre handling car with good, form fitting seats can make a car feel pretty good. A car with lots of body roll but a super tight steering gear can also give good feel. If the OP is happy with his choice, why bash him? You will not change his mind. If he is spending his money and not anyone elses, I'm okay with that.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Kern Dog] #1244307
06/10/12 12:08 PM
06/10/12 12:08 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Come on, he's a shill for the Altercation setup. Comes in here dinging the stock suspension while totally displaying his complete ignorance (I am being nice here and assuming it's ignorance and not a deliberate attempt to sell the altercation) and expects us to treat him nice?

Really?

In the handling forum?

Where people her know how to outhandle a Camry, know how to drive a handling car and know how to do it for less than the supposed thousands of dollars he spent only to be unable to outhandle a Camry?

Really?

Mr PiledHigherandDeeper can take a flying fark as far as I am concerned and I am not impressed by any company that tries this crap to sell their stuff.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Supercuda] #1244308
06/10/12 05:51 PM
06/10/12 05:51 PM
Utah
topbrent Offline
super stock
topbrent  Offline
super stock

Utah
I won't comment on the AlterKtion vs. OE type Mopar stuff, but the handling like a new Camry comment is not completely unfounded.

Hotchkis loaded up a 67 coronet full of their suspension parts and compared it against the slalom times of several new vehicles.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/chassis/hrdp_0909_mopar_suspension_bolt_ons/viewall.html

After the full Hotchkis install, and with a pro driver in the seat, the slalom times equaled those of a 2001 Honda Accord.
- New cars handle pretty great, comparatively.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: topbrent] #1244309
06/10/12 06:22 PM
06/10/12 06:22 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
It's sad but true, a new Camry SE runs low 14's in the 1/4 and pulls over .8g on the skid and stops in under 120 feet . Those are good numbers and you would need to have lot's of set up time into an old car to put a beating on one on a road track or autocross.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1244310
06/10/12 06:45 PM
06/10/12 06:45 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

The one and only alter k I've touched had a broken weld at that tie rod sleeve that is welded to the steering arm. In other higher end systems they use dropped steering arms to eliminate that problem. The smaller than stock wheel bearings are also a little puzzling to me. But then again, I'm sure its fine for most.

you still working at XV ? if so are you running their set up on your dart? hows it work?

sorry for the high jack..

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 67autocross] #1244311
06/10/12 08:35 PM
06/10/12 08:35 PM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!
DARTH V8Я  Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!

Its a TRAP!
Quote:

It's sad but true, a new Camry SE runs low 14's in the 1/4 and pulls over .8g on the skid and stops in under 120 feet . Those are good numbers and you would need to have lot's of set up time into an old car to put a beating on one on a road track or autocross.

This, and to get a older mopar to do the same cornering & braking, ones gonna need to wheel in wheelbarrels full of cash to ones farvorite store. I don`t see a problem with AlterK stuff, millions of production cars have simular setups, pulling all kinds of miles with simular weights.

When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 67autocross] #1244312
06/10/12 09:59 PM
06/10/12 09:59 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

This Challenger with a 440 motor and Hotchkis TVS, 1.00" t-bars, and 245/60/15 BFG tires pulls .85g on the skid pad.

Those tires do not help at all. Someone with those T-bars and front a rear sway bars should be able to get close to those skid pad numbers.

But a skid pad is only steady state cornering. A slalom has the car transistioning side to side. That why the shock alone were such an improvement on the Hot Rod 67 Coronet test.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2010/08/01/hmn_tips1.html

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: DARTH V8Я] #1244313
06/10/12 10:05 PM
06/10/12 10:05 PM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
Give me $23,200 [msrp for a camry]and I will give you an A body that eats Camry's with ease. Pick your poison Alterkation or torsion bars, I don't care.

The mopar action dig on the alterkation was poor at best and a twist for sure. The comment about the 200 million mph daytona was out of context as well as any car with a million point cage or the proper stiffening will handle fine with the stock mopar torsion bars. I built a big fat heavy 1970 Charger RT that runs Thunder Road on hemi torsion bars and springs and does it really really well.
How the heck did i do that??? Don't believe me? June 25th Watkins Glen...see for yourself.

I looked hard on line for pics of the 200 million mph wing car suspension etc and there are none to be found. They have kept quite a lid on the details of that car. A BIG lid! If I was an expert like Rick claims to be and I asked those guys what they were using for suspension and they gave that glib answer I would be looking quite hard at the car and not taken their word as gospel. I would also have some facts to back up my words

Lot's of hot air from some of you guys...

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: ThermoQuad] #1244314
06/10/12 10:25 PM
06/10/12 10:25 PM
A
A57_RT Offline
Parts Problem
A57_RT  Offline
Parts Problem
A

If ive ever seen a post thats beating a dead horse, aot of the ones concerning the alterk unit is one of them.

Wont get into a rant, but the people who have them seem to have no issues. I see it as no different then a preference over a Big Block, Small Block, and since these castings are 40 years old why not a new gen hemi?

For 5 years ive been beating mine on a reg bassis, from -26 to 94 degrees (yes at -26, only our carbed vehicles would start). Snow and rain. Some of this has been on harsh dirt mountain roads.

When I got my unit I cleaned it, etch primed it, sealed and then put a good top coat and then clear, it cleans up as new even today.

Weather a stock, modified stock, RMS or XV unt, ect....if the owner is happy imo thats all that matters.

Toss this topic in with the wheel spacers, welded k members, it cant work, it wont work into a golden 5 gallon bucket and some would complain it should of been a copper bucket.

7245019-DSC01061.JPG (121 downloads)
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: slantzilla] #1244315
06/14/12 02:31 PM
06/14/12 02:31 PM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
Quote:

In on 1!

MOPAR stock front suspension is crap. Excessive caster gain, massive bump steer and a torsion bar. Really? Tanks and trailers have a torsion bar suspension. I don't recall seeing torsion bars on any late models or NASCAR cars. Hmmm, they seem to tak a lot of corners at high speeds effectively.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244316
06/14/12 03:01 PM
06/14/12 03:01 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

MOPAR stock front suspension is crap. Excessive caster gain, massive bump steer and a torsion bar. Really? Tanks and trailers have a torsion bar suspension. I don't recall seeing torsion bars on any late models or NASCAR cars. Hmmm, they seem to tak a lot of corners at high speeds effectively.

I've bump steered my Barracuda, and I don't have massive bump steer. Pretty close to what a new Challenger is. Have you bump steered your car yourself?

Caster gain typically comes from anti dive in the upper control arm. Stock coil spring cars have similar anti dive angles. There are templetes that alter caster gain by removing anti dive (guldstrand templetes)

Can you show us the measurements of the Caster gain on a stock:
1970 Chevelle?
1970 Mustang?
1970 Camaro?
And compare those measured on popular Mopar models?

Porsche 911's had torsion bars up to about 10 years ago. Sprint cars all run torsion bars.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 06/14/12 03:03 PM.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 68Plymouths] #1244317
06/14/12 03:14 PM
06/14/12 03:14 PM
Milford, IL
68Plymouths Offline
68Plymouths  Offline

Milford, IL
In fact, I can't recall seeing a torsion bar suspension on ANY race car that takes corners in the last 25 years. If it is so f-ing good, you would think someone would use it...

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10