Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Return of ALTERKATION fued #1244278
06/02/12 08:34 PM
06/02/12 08:34 PM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
Daniel Niclas  Offline OP
D

(can’t post to original ALTERKATION – MOPAR ACTION thread, seems to be blocked)

Last night I picked up a copy of Mopar Action and discovered my inquiry to Rick about RMS Alterkation was published along with a response. While I agree with the engineering evaluation of potential design flaws, the fact of the matter is they are not “flaws” unless they are proven to not function properly.

There is no question the RMS Alterkation has an exceptional track record of performance and safety on the road and track. It may even be safe to say, it has a better track record than most factory assemblies. This system has been in use for over 10 years with zero documented recurring failure (that I can find or solicit from other people).

I opted to upgrade my Challenger’s front suspension to RMS following multiple rebuilds and improvement to the stock system, which never improved handling performance beyond that of a stock Toyota Camry. Overall it is a sloppy system. Ultimately, following hard driving conditions the driver side LCA mounting point in the K-Frame snapped (talk about a weak point), the torsion bar bent and the strut rod bent. On dis-assembly both LCA’s were bent to the rear like bananas, completely eliminating any hope for proper caster.

The performance of the RMS system is outstanding. Steering is tight, responsive, road feel is excellent and handling is 5 fold improved. With the dual adjustable AFCOs the ride comfort far exceeds my expectations. It is like a completely new modern car. It cruises easy and comfortably and locks its teeth in when needed. The rear suspension is the XV three link. The car has all available bracing from XV.

With the track record of success RMS has, it is impossible to conclude this product is unsafe or inadequate in any way. I enjoy critically evaluating products as much as anyone else, and I can’t dispute any of Rick’s logic, but the final result is from what happens in the application space. And RMS wins every time. It is impossible to conclude there is a problem with RMS until someone can identify a problem with RMS.

Thank you to all
Daniel

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244279
06/02/12 10:37 PM
06/02/12 10:37 PM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
The tie rods are cantilevered where they bolt to the spindle due to the spacers they use to get proper bumpsteer, this makes them weak

Last edited by WO23Coronet; 06/02/12 10:37 PM.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: WO23Coronet] #1244280
06/03/12 12:22 AM
06/03/12 12:22 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
In on 1!

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: slantzilla] #1244281
06/03/12 12:36 AM
06/03/12 12:36 AM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!
DARTH V8Я  Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!

Its a TRAP!
Its only good if it has the "Eddie Miller" stamp of approval..

When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: WO23Coronet] #1244282
06/03/12 12:39 AM
06/03/12 12:39 AM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
D

The extension from the spindle (cantilever) for attaching the tie rod end is a welded solid steel sleeve capable of withstanding over 40,000 lbs of force. This “cantilever” is stronger than virtually every single part of the stock steering linkage. XV uses the exact same “cantilever” solution. While it might look like a week point, it is not. It barely qualifies for the use of the term “cantilever” as one could just cast the spindle with more meet to accomplish the same thing (which would probably be weaker). There are no spacers in this solution at all.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244283
06/03/12 12:55 AM
06/03/12 12:55 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

The extension from the spindle (cantilever) for attaching the tie rod end is a welded solid steel sleeve capable of withstanding over 40,000 lbs of force. This “cantilever” is stronger than virtually every single part of the stock steering linkage. XV uses the exact same “cantilever” solution. While it might look like a week point, it is not. It barely qualifies for the use of the term “cantilever” as one could just cast the spindle with more meet to accomplish the same thing (which would probably be weaker). There are no spacers in this solution at all.

I smell a troll

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244284
06/03/12 01:06 AM
06/03/12 01:06 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
If you couldn't get the stock based stuff to work, maybe you were doing it wrong.
Ricks points are valid.
ANY 40 year old part is more prone to failure than a brand new casting/forging, so the fact that you damaged the k member is not surprising. Yes it is a weak point, but the cause for the failure is a mix of time and miles, with the possibility of lower bushing failure preceding it. I have yet to see an egged out UCA hole that wasn't also accompanied by a damaged LCA bushing. This is classic cause and effect. The bushing fails resulting in increased slop, which causes the LCA shaft to bear against the arm itself. The resulting vibration hammers away at the K member mount, which eventually cracks and elongates. This isn't something that happens to every car, but the ones that did fail probably had 100,000 miles or more.
If YOU are happy with the kit, good for you. It is your money and you have every right to spend it as you wish. I will agree that the weight savings is an attractive thing, and if you weren't able to get a steering feel with the stock based stuff, the rack and pinion design may be right up your alley. There are tens of thousands of us running factory stuff, and ours is time tested for durability. Time will tell if the RMS stuff holds up as well.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244285
06/03/12 03:05 AM
06/03/12 03:05 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
How rusty was your Challenger??

If someone bent booth your lower controls arms back maybe that accident or abuse caused the K-member welds to brake.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Kern Dog] #1244286
06/03/12 05:06 AM
06/03/12 05:06 AM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
D

Yes, it is possible I was not dialing in the stock front end optimally and yes Rick’s points are valid, and I am also glad to be informed by his and others expertise.

There is no such thing as a “perfect” car. Thanks to our passion for this hobby we innovate to achieve improvement. Starting with the stock gear all the way to developing entirely new assemblies. It is a rigorous ordeal to find a replacement K-frame and suitable LCAs. Replacements are hard to find, expensive and rather banged up. In the end the stock parts ride was harsh and lacking in performance. Everything was replaced, re-bushed, re-aligned.. I was not looking for the opportunity to spend a lot of money, I just wanted more performance and went with the Alterkation. The results exceeded my expectations.

Now I have to contend with the swirling uncertainty of safety issues that people are predicting based on design features. Is it better to space the LCA mounting points by 16 inches instead of 8? Of course it is. Is 8 inches of spacing sufficient? All indications are yes. Are there recurring failures in the field? No there are not. Bill Reilly is an innovator dedicated to our hobby and so is Rick. How awesome would it be if their expertise and knowledge were combined to elevate the level of safety and performance of our Mopar solutions. If additional bracing or gusseting or seam welding can improve the situation let’s hear about it. But until a problem reveals itself, there is no problem. Perhaps Bill nailed it and the Alterkation is truly awesome, because after over 10 years of use the track record looks pretty good. Maybe I am just saying all this to make myself feel better because I spent a lot of cash on it… Nothing is ever perfect. Crap…..

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244287
06/03/12 07:42 AM
06/03/12 07:42 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Yes, it is possible I was not dialing in the stock front end optimally and yes Rick’s points are valid, and I am also glad to be informed by his and others expertise.

There is no such thing as a “perfect” car. Thanks to our passion for this hobby we innovate to achieve improvement. Starting with the stock gear all the way to developing entirely new assemblies. It is a rigorous ordeal to find a replacement K-frame and suitable LCAs. Replacements are hard to find, expensive and rather banged up. In the end the stock parts ride was harsh and lacking in performance. Everything was replaced, re-bushed, re-aligned.. I was not looking for the opportunity to spend a lot of money, I just wanted more performance and went with the Alterkation. The results exceeded my expectations.

What shocks and size torsion bars did you use with your stock setup?

Do you live in a place that is hard to find stock parts?

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: slantzilla] #1244288
06/03/12 11:56 AM
06/03/12 11:56 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

In on 1!

Just like we learned in 4TH grade, if you're not going to bring enough for EVERYBODY...

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244289
06/03/12 02:30 PM
06/03/12 02:30 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Now I have to contend with the swirling uncertainty of safety issues that people are predicting based on design features. Is it better to space the LCA mounting points by 16 inches instead of 8? Of course it is. Is 8 inches of spacing sufficient? All indications are yes. Are there recurring failures in the field? No there are not. Bill Reilly is an innovator dedicated to our hobby and so is Rick. How awesome would it be if their expertise and knowledge were combined to elevate the level of safety and performance of our Mopar solutions. If additional bracing or gusseting or seam welding can improve the situation let’s hear about it. But until a problem reveals itself, there is no problem. Perhaps Bill nailed it and the Alterkation is truly awesome, because after over 10 years of use the track record looks pretty good. Maybe I am just saying all this to make myself feel better because I spent a lot of cash on it… Nothing is ever perfect. Crap…..

Im glad you're happy with your alterK now where are the vids and pics of it getting the s@#t beat out of it? I dont like Mustang IIs and the crap under the front of them can stay there.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: 72Swinger] #1244290
06/03/12 02:43 PM
06/03/12 02:43 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Stock stuff ( K frames )did not fail at 10 years old either and it was hammered a lot harder than the guys with thhis new fangled stuff, 100,000 miles in ten years was the norm not the exception, any one got an alter K with 100,000+ miles

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244291
06/03/12 03:21 PM
06/03/12 03:21 PM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
D

I live in San Jose CA and the stock parts I have obtained came from salvage yards in Southern CA and Alabama. I spent a fortune on these replacement parts. The replacement K-frame was quite nice, but the best LCAs I could find looked like they were removed with a sledge hammer and jagged rocks. I spent almost as much rebuilding the front in the stock configuration as the cost of Alterkation. Granted I may not be so savvy with the whole procuring high quality stock parts for the right price.

My Challenger is a small block (then 340 and now stroker 408) and I used the big-block T-bars from Mancini, aluminum strut bars and Magnum force uppers (now I could get 3-4 deg castor). All steering linkage was inspected and re-assembled including pitmans, idlers, gear box and pump. I believe the shocks at the time were Konis. After all this, the performance and street ride improved significantly, however the compression and rebound behavior was not suitable for track driving (or I will admit maybe I was not enough driver). The tires would not dig in, road feel was distant and I spent a lot of time sliding around not yet at speed.

Now with coil over AFCOs all around and rack, the feel and responsiveness is like a modern car. More amazing than that are the street manners of this suspension. It is more forgiving than the T-bar and leaf spring combination, so I just assume it is more capable of managing compression and rebound issues on any driving surface.

I agonized over the stock, Alterkation, XV decision for weeks. Web searches, talking to other people, Bill and the owner dude at XV. I opted for RMS in front and XV in rear. The car is currently driving in mock up, but will be blown apart for finish. I guess that means I could make changes to the front if I wanted to, but the thought quite frankly is making me a bit ill at this point. For now I am sticking with the fact that there are no known problems identified with Alterkation. If there was guidance available for improving the integrity of this system I would certainly listen. I will listen to any guidance, as I am not the expert.

Thanks,
Daniel

7234352-IMG_0358.jpg (323 downloads)
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244292
06/03/12 03:22 PM
06/03/12 03:22 PM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
D

and the front

7234356-IMG_0367.jpg (459 downloads)
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244293
06/03/12 04:20 PM
06/03/12 04:20 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada

There is no question the RMS Alterkation has an exceptional track record of performance and safety on the road and track. It may even be safe to say, it has a better track record than most factory assemblies. This system has been in use for over 10 years with zero documented recurring failure (that I can find or solicit from other people).

You just can't make a claim like that, a few hundred guys running around with Alterkations on mainly summer driven cars does not constitute any type of safety record.
Of the 3 cars that I know have them one car has about 1000 miles on it over 8 years the other about 200 miles and the 3rd one is still being pushed around the shop.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Kern Dog] #1244294
06/03/12 04:34 PM
06/03/12 04:34 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Ricks points are valid.

On the points he made, likely, However, IMO when a reader asks an open question, and you have the bully pulpit, unless you consider yourself the final authority on a subject, one really should give/present all sides of an argument, and let the reader(s) decide. My main concern is what he did not mention, and that it might be considered a positive for RMS.

Saying one does not have ax to grind, doesn't make it so.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244295
06/03/12 05:39 PM
06/03/12 05:39 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I live in San Jose CA and the stock parts I have obtained came from salvage yards in Southern CA and Alabama. I spent a fortune on these replacement parts. The replacement K-frame was quite nice, but the best LCAs I could find looked like they were removed with a sledge hammer and jagged rocks. I spent almost as much rebuilding the front in the stock configuration as the cost of Alterkation. Granted I may not be so savvy with the whole procuring high quality stock parts for the right price.

My Challenger is a small block (then 340 and now stroker 408) and I used the big-block T-bars from Mancini, aluminum strut bars and Magnum force uppers (now I could get 3-4 deg castor). All steering linkage was inspected and re-assembled including pitmans, idlers, gear box and pump. I believe the shocks at the time were Konis. After all this, the performance and street ride improved significantly, however the compression and rebound behavior was not suitable for track driving (or I will admit maybe I was not enough driver). The tires would not dig in, road feel was distant and I spent a lot of time sliding around not yet at speed.

Now with coil over AFCOs all around and rack, the feel and responsiveness is like a modern car. More amazing than that are the street manners of this suspension. It is more forgiving than the T-bar and leaf spring combination, so I just assume it is more capable of managing compression and rebound issues on any driving surface.

I agonized over the stock, Alterkation, XV decision for weeks. Web searches, talking to other people, Bill and the owner dude at XV. I opted for RMS in front and XV in rear. The car is currently driving in mock up, but will be blown apart for finish. I guess that means I could make changes to the front if I wanted to, but the thought quite frankly is making me a bit ill at this point. For now I am sticking with the fact that there are no known problems identified with Alterkation. If there was guidance available for improving the integrity of this system I would certainly listen. I will listen to any guidance, as I am not the expert.

Thanks,
Daniel

I'm not saying your Alterkation or XV stuff is unsafe or bad.

Just there is more than one right answer. More than one way to get to a goal. I don't think the factory stuff is bad either. And it less expensive for most.

My WAG is the shocks and the brand new quick ratio steering (not rebuilt) that w/o factory slip joint are the major things you are feeling.
But that's a total guess on my part.

Would be interesting to run the stock suspension version of your current Afco shocks. And also try that new Saginaw 600 steering box with solid universal joint. And see how that "feels" in comparison to an Alterkion.

Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: Daniel Niclas] #1244296
06/03/12 06:10 PM
06/03/12 06:10 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

(can’t post to original ALTERKATION – MOPAR ACTION thread, seems to be blocked)

Last night I picked up a copy of Mopar Action and discovered my inquiry to Rick about RMS Alterkation was published along with a response. While I agree with the engineering evaluation of potential design flaws, the fact of the matter is they are not “flaws” unless they are proven to not function properly.

I opted to upgrade my Challenger’s front suspension to RMS following multiple rebuilds and improvement to the stock system, which never improved handling performance beyond that of a stock Toyota Camry. Overall it is a sloppy system. Ultimately, following hard driving conditions the driver side LCA mounting point in the K-Frame snapped (talk about a weak point), the torsion bar bent and the strut rod bent. On dis-assembly both LCA’s were bent to the rear like bananas, completely eliminating any hope for proper caster.

The performance of the RMS system is outstanding. Steering is tight, responsive, road feel is excellent and handling is 5 fold improved. With the dual adjustable AFCOs the ride comfort far exceeds my expectations. It is like a completely new modern car. It cruises easy and comfortably and locks its teeth in when needed. The rear suspension is the XV three link. The car has all available bracing from XV.

With the track record of success RMS has, it is impossible to conclude this product is unsafe or inadequate in any way. I enjoy critically evaluating products as much as anyone else, and I can’t dispute any of Rick’s logic, but the final result is from what happens in the application space. And RMS wins every time. It is impossible to conclude there is a problem with RMS until someone can identify a problem with RMS.

Thank you to all
Daniel

You got your degree in engineering where?

Mickey Mouse U?

If you cannot get a stock based E body suspension to handle better than a Camry you are in absolutely NO position to comment on the validity of anything mechanical or suspension related.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Return of ALTERKATION fued [Re: autoxcuda] #1244297
06/03/12 06:20 PM
06/03/12 06:20 PM
D
Daniel Niclas Offline OP
D

“… there is more than one right answer. More than one way to get to a goal. I don't think the factory stuff is bad either. And it less expensive for most.”

I could not agree more. Experimenting with the AFCO shocks on a stock style set up is an excellent idea. Leaf springs from my experience can be unforgiving and overly sensitive to imperfections in the road. Perhaps a tunable set of AFCOs can provide the desired results.

I am now an official customer and user of RMS and XV. I intend to continue working with them and the Mopar community to improve the performance of our vehicles. If I break something I will fix it and report on it. Anyone who runs the road coarse has three spares of everything or a trailer to get the car home. Breaking things is normal and expected. This is how we find the weak link and come up with clever ways to improve.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10