01/13/12 12:41 AM
01/13/12 12:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I was perusing the Speedway Motors roundy pounder catalog and noticed all kinds of ball joints and some that are even adjustable.

Do guys use these on drag cars to get better weight transfer?

I'd think it would loosen up the suspension since Afco claims it only takes 2 lbs. of force to move their low friction units whereas it takes 50 lbs. to move some of the stock ones.

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? #1155638
01/13/12 01:02 AM
01/13/12 01:02 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Wow... I can move a ball joint with my fingers and
thats just standard stuff... most of the friction is
in the arms pivot point... I wouldnt waste the money... JMO
EDIT
they are probably talking torsional twisting it...
no big deal to us drag racers

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 01/13/12 01:04 AM.
Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1155639
01/13/12 02:08 AM
01/13/12 02:08 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

Wow... I can move a ball joint with my fingers and
thats just standard stuff... most of the friction is
in the arms pivot point... I wouldnt waste the money... JMO
EDIT
they are probably talking torsional twisting it...
no big deal to us drag racers

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: HEMIFRED] #1155640
01/13/12 12:49 PM
01/13/12 12:49 PM
IN
E
EricatAFCO Offline
EricatAFCO  Offline
E

IN
Good morning guys,

I wanted to share some findings on ball joints relative to this topic. I think we would all agree that if we reduce as much friction as possible, the suspenion will perform more effectively. Better to have your shocks controlling how much pitch rotation you get (adjustable, predictable, consistant) than your ball joints, bushings etc which you cannot adjust or control as bind will not be a constant in this example. If your can can be inconsistant, bind somewhere could be the enemy.

So, if we look at the ball joint, it is a ball in socket design with a mechanism to keep the ball engaged in the socket. Commonly a spring or in some cases, a piece of rubber. (Springs weaken and rubber pieces will fail as well). The low friction ball joints I am most familiar with start with a precision machined ball and socket for perfect fit. Then, a low friction coating is added for wear control and to promote a smoothe operation. Finally, the mechanism that keeps the ball properly located in the socket is such that wear is not an issue. The ball will be properly engaged in the socket at all times. I'll bet others are in that similar design family too.

The amount of force necessary to move a ball joint in this example will need to be viewed when in use, on the car with live loads being applied. The forces being applied will tend to want to promote bind as the ball and socket will not be properly aligned. Bind or friction will be created. (ex: dis-located shoulder) If you consider traction as a relationship between how quickly torque hits the rear tire verses how quickly and with how much downward force we can produce to the contact patch of the tire, we would probably agree that we want that front end as "loose" under load of car as possible. Stick the tire with just enough load to control the forces trying to "shear" the tire loose.

Also, this can be another case of getting what you pay for. As a ball joint wears, it feels smoother and will be moved more freely at rest. However, do to the design, the "loaded characteristics" will be very much different and limiting. (Dis-located shoulder example) We don't want parts popping out of place, on our bodies or our cars.

How our cars perform can be considered a sum of all parts in play and how they work relative to each other. Hope this helps!

Have a good day and weekend

Eric

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: EricatAFCO] #1155641
01/13/12 01:24 PM
01/13/12 01:24 PM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline
master
408strokerdart  Offline
master

Out West
Quote:

Good morning guys,

I wanted to share some findings on ball joints relative to this topic. I think we would all agree that if we reduce as much friction as possible, the suspenion will perform more effectively. Better to have your shocks controlling how much pitch rotation you get (adjustable, predictable, consistant) than your ball joints, bushings etc which you cannot adjust or control as bind will not be a constant in this example. If your can can be inconsistant, bind somewhere could be the enemy.

So, if we look at the ball joint, it is a ball in socket design with a mechanism to keep the ball engaged in the socket. Commonly a spring or in some cases, a piece of rubber. (Springs weaken and rubber pieces will fail as well). The low friction ball joints I am most familiar with start with a precision machined ball and socket for perfect fit. Then, a low friction coating is added for wear control and to promote a smoothe operation. Finally, the mechanism that keeps the ball properly located in the socket is such that wear is not an issue. The ball will be properly engaged in the socket at all times. I'll bet others are in that similar design family too.

The amount of force necessary to move a ball joint in this example will need to be viewed when in use, on the car with live loads being applied. The forces being applied will tend to want to promote bind as the ball and socket will not be properly aligned. Bind or friction will be created. (ex: dis-located shoulder) If you consider traction as a relationship between how quickly torque hits the rear tire verses how quickly and with how much downward force we can produce to the contact patch of the tire, we would probably agree that we want that front end as "loose" under load of car as possible. Stick the tire with just enough load to control the forces trying to "shear" the tire loose.

Also, this can be another case of getting what you pay for. As a ball joint wears, it feels smoother and will be moved more freely at rest. However, do to the design, the "loaded characteristics" will be very much different and limiting. (Dis-located shoulder example) We don't want parts popping out of place, on our bodies or our cars.

How our cars perform can be considered a sum of all parts in play and how they work relative to each other. Hope this helps!

Have a good day and weekend

Eric

I think BondoBob uses the Afco ball joints on his front arms.

I agree that you cannot measure "actual" friction on a ball joint unless it is under load.

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1155642
01/13/12 10:21 PM
01/13/12 10:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wow, a professional answer!

Thanks!

Do you guys make low friction bushing for the Mopar upper control arms?

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? #1155643
01/14/12 07:20 AM
01/14/12 07:20 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
From my circle track experiance, once you get all of your joints in smooth bind free connections you will get a car that is much more repeatable on digital scale pads.

So you disconnect your shocks, bounce the car to settle it (front tires on plates), and then check scale readings. Then you recheck or make an adjustment you get the same (very close) numbers or the numbers you should after the appropiate adjustments. If someone overtightens a rear shackle bushings or poly UCA bushing you can get bind easy and chase a race car on scales all night long!

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: autoxcuda] #1155644
01/14/12 10:27 AM
01/14/12 10:27 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
If I keep my car I will upgrade the upper control arms and they will have low friction ball joints in them. The motion is smooth through the entire range unlike the stock replacements I have now.

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? #1155645
01/17/12 10:07 AM
01/17/12 10:07 AM
IN
E
EricatAFCO Offline
EricatAFCO  Offline
E

IN
It is very possible that an upper low friction ball joint is available. If we can determine the OE part number, preferably from Moog, we can cross reference the part number. Many of the cars produced by Chrysler used a common ball joint under the Moog part number K772. Please verify your model's upper ball joint part number.

**Upper Ball Joint: Moog K772 = AFCO 20034LF

**Lower Ball Joint: Moog K727 = AFCO 20036LF

Use the reference above as a quick guide. If you have any additional questions, just ask.

Eric

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: EricatAFCO] #1155646
01/17/12 10:08 PM
01/17/12 10:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yes, I saw those in the speedway motors catalog!

K772 is used on quite a few aftermarket as well as our original Mopar upper control arms.

My question is, do you make BUSHINGS for the Mopar upper and lower control arms that are low friction?

I see them for the Mustang II and Chevelle type control arms.

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? #1155647
01/18/12 10:52 AM
01/18/12 10:52 AM
IN
E
EricatAFCO Offline
EricatAFCO  Offline
E

IN
Unfortunately, we don't have bushings for the Chrysler applications.

Eric

Re: Afco or Howe low friction ball joints? [Re: EricatAFCO] #1155648
01/18/12 12:01 PM
01/18/12 12:01 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Unfortunately, we don't have bushings for the Chrysler applications.

Eric

Same with everyone else , the question is WHY NOT ???