B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Fellas -

I'm having problems with a few of my portable sandblasters. Two of them are the Sears model with the black plastic hopper and one is a Harbor Freight with a red metal hopper.

Bottom line is that I can't get any of them to blast for more than a few seconds before they stop. Media has been in each of them for several months in the garage, so I'm thinking that it's damp and that's clogging it up.

I've got an 80 gallon compressor with a water trap and regulator. Think I have the pressure set at 90 psi or so at the regulator. I could up the pressure but not sure if this will help.

I've used all types of media with no luck - right now I have one filled with sand (yes, I'm aware of the dangers of silicosis), one with medium grit coal slag/Black Beauty, and one set up with bead blasting media.

Thinking about putting the media in the oven and baking it at 400 degrees. That should dry it out, right?

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: bulletpruf] #1147323
12/31/11 11:51 AM
12/31/11 11:51 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I've never had a moisture problem and I've left media in the blaster for years without use. There is no reason the media should get moist just sitting unless its getting water dripped on it. I'd suggest you check the tip for clogging or elsewhere along the line. Sometimes there are larger grains that won't go through the orifice and cause the clog. Also, small bits of paper from the bags will do the same.
I've had a lot of clogging problems using the black sand (will clog every few minutes!). The lighter sand is never a problem.

These days most blasting sands are not "silica" so silicosis isn't a concern. When silica was on the market it was actually labelled "silica sand".

And just a thought ... I think it would cost you more to bake the sand than its worth!

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: Stanton] #1147324
12/31/11 12:08 PM
12/31/11 12:08 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Didn't know they could take 'silica' out of sand?
we use all kinds of media,

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: dennismopar73] #1147325
12/31/11 12:16 PM
12/31/11 12:16 PM
midwest
68427vette Offline
top fuel
68427vette  Offline
top fuel

midwest
being in the midwest,, and aware of the "sweaty shop floors" yes,, mositure can build up on the inside,, and harden the media,,, you'll have to dig it out,, start over,,, and UP you psi from your 80 gallon tank,,, you can regulate it down at your "pot" of media,, i still have my small media pots,, but moved on...to a250 and 500 pots, with a john deer Ingersol 250 pull behind compressor
and yes wear a good mask apperatus, as you stated! YOU DONT WANT TO BE ON o2. LATER IN LIFE,,
JC

could be your HOSE clogged, , that larger stuff, will clogg the exit hose,, and be care full that small pot doesnt tip over on you,, been there done that ,, and lots of f bombs!! ha ha

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: bulletpruf] #1147326
12/31/11 01:00 PM
12/31/11 01:00 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
The black plastic one is a sipon feed blaster, it'll never work right or any better. Not sure about the HF one you mentioned if it a pressure pot or a sipon feed.

Got to use a pressure pot blaster to be able to get anything done.

Second You should run your air through at least 50-100' of metalic pipe before it get's to your air dryer so it can cool. Can't remove water from warm air. And you can't sand blast without a air dryer that works.
As your finding out, don't wast your time with sipon feed blaster because they don't work well at all.

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: Challenger 1] #1147327
12/31/11 01:07 PM
12/31/11 01:07 PM
midwest
68427vette Offline
top fuel
68427vette  Offline
top fuel

midwest
""you can't sand blast without a air dryer that works.""

i dont have a dryer,, but i have a HUGE compressor,,
works fine but i can regulate the back pressure, that forces the sand down and out..

jc

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: 68427vette] #1147328
12/31/11 02:03 PM
12/31/11 02:03 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

""you can't sand blast without a air dryer that works.""

i dont have a dryer,, but i have a HUGE compressor,,
works fine but i can regulate the back pressure, that forces the sand down and out..

jc

I have a huge diesel compressor that I have been using for years now, it still needs a air dryer.
If you think you don't need a dryer, then you must not have done much blasting to have a water problem.

But like I said above, if your trying to get a sipon blaster to work...Good Luck!

I've done a lot of blasting in the last 30 years, I did every inch if this tank and painted the whole thing and truck myself in 3 days. Completely painted in 3 colors in 3 days. Honest.

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: dennismopar73] #1147329
12/31/11 03:31 PM
12/31/11 03:31 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Didn't know they could take 'silica' out of sand?

Yes, I stand corrected there. But the stuff I've been buying doesn't mention silica - maybe its quartz or something else !?!?

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: Challenger 1] #1147330
12/31/11 03:40 PM
12/31/11 03:40 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

The black plastic one is a sipon feed blaster, it'll never work right or any better. Not sure about the HF one you mentioned if it a pressure pot or a sipon feed.

Second You should run your air through at least 50-100' of metalic pipe before it get's to your air dryer so it can cool. Can't remove water from warm air. And you can't sand blast without a air dryer that works.
As your finding out, don't wast your time with sipon feed blaster because they don't work well at all.

I've had the siphon feed blaster working well in the past, both with glass bead media and coal slag. That's what's bugging me.

I have a pressure pot blaster from Harbor Freight. It's filled with play sand, not blasting sand, so I'm pretty sure it's silica sand.

Thanks

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: bulletpruf] #1147331
12/31/11 04:00 PM
12/31/11 04:00 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

I've had the siphon feed blaster working well in the past, both with glass bead media and coal slag. That's what's bugging me.

I have a pressure pot blaster from Harbor Freight. It's filled with play sand, not blasting sand, so I'm pretty sure it's silica sand.

Thanks

Scott

Gottcha, Get real blasting media which is dehydradeted and comes in plastic lined bags so it stays dry.

Play sand is just that, play sand. It's not dehydrated and is made for playing in, Is that what you want to do it with it? Play?
I have blasted many bags of silca sand over the years, about 10 years ago they quit selling it here. Now they sell blasting slag which is low silca, it works just good as sand did and comes in at least 5 grades for different jobs.
You buy blasting media from a place that sells bricks, because the use it to tuck point brick.

Then there is plastic which is even better and won't warp panels.
I did my gold 71. I blasted the underside and interior with slage and all the outside panels with plastic,urea plastic.

Getting back to your blaster, I hate to say it again, but. Invest in a pressure pot, you won't be sorry.
I buy my media by the pallet, I have been on jobs 20 years ago where they had the blasting media delivered with a dump truck!

This blaster is the best unit to invest in, best value and performance. web page

Last edited by Challenger 1; 12/31/11 09:33 PM.
Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: Challenger 1] #1147332
12/31/11 08:55 PM
12/31/11 08:55 PM
Northern OH
R
rapom Offline
top fuel
rapom  Offline
top fuel
R

Northern OH
Sometimes you can put your hand over the nozzle and blow out the plug by back feeding the pressure. Use a glove.
Also I use a dryer before the hose and a dryer at the blaster. Never had a moisture problem.

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: rapom] #1147333
12/31/11 10:13 PM
12/31/11 10:13 PM
midwest
68427vette Offline
top fuel
68427vette  Offline
top fuel

midwest
Quote:

Sometimes you can put your hand over the nozzle and blow out the plug by back feeding the pressure. Use a glove.
Also I use a dryer before the hose and a dryer at the blaster. Never had a moisture problem.

NOW thats NUTS!!! mine will take your skin off!!

no dryer, yet.....did this with my small hopper.

I have the 250 model pull behind,, and YES,, best investment i have bought, , It paid for itself in the first year!!! i am thinking about getting a dryer,, for soda!! no water problems,, i blead it out before filling the hopper,, my hopper has a water catch.

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: Challenger 1] #1147334
01/01/12 11:52 AM
01/01/12 11:52 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Scott

Gottcha, Get real blasting media which is dehydradeted and comes in plastic lined bags so it stays dry.

Play sand is just that, play sand. It's not dehydrated and is made for playing in, Is that what you want to do it with it? Play?
I have blasted many bags of silca sand over the years, about 10 years ago they quit selling it here. Now they sell blasting slag which is low silca, it works just good as sand did and comes in at least 5 grades for different jobs.
You buy blasting media from a place that sells bricks, because the use it to tuck point brick.

Then there is plastic which is even better and won't warp panels.
I did my gold 71. I blasted the underside and interior with slage and all the outside panels with plastic,urea plastic.

Getting back to your blaster, I hate to say it again, but. Invest in a pressure pot, you won't be sorry.
I buy my media by the pallet, I have been on jobs 20 years ago where they had the blasting media delivered with a dump truck!

This blaster is the best unit to invest in, best value and performance. web page

Got my siphon blaster to work yesterday. Swapped out the gun and it worked ok with some coal slag.

My pressure pot from Harbor Freight looks a lot like the one from Northern Tool that you recommend. Spent a little time on it yesterday, but not much luck. Will try again today with different media. If that won't work, I'll put the one from Northern Tool on my shopping list.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: bulletpruf] #1147335
01/01/12 12:59 PM
01/01/12 12:59 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
put a water trap at your pot as well as the one off your compressor. make sure you have at least 20' of hose between the compressor and pot as well.

old media, when i finish a job i drop the unused media out of my pot and dont reuse it it just gets pitched out. the only plugging i have ever got was media left overnight or unblasted reused media that went back in the pot. when i blast soda it sucks up any kind of water so its a hard one to use sometimes too.

media without silica? yes. grushed glass has non active silica in it which doesnt cause silicosis

my opinion is pitch your media and buy new stuff. try glass you will love it over sand and slag, you end up with a cleaner surface.

my pot

Re: Sandblasters Not Working; Wet Media? How to Dry? [Re: chrisf] #1147336
01/01/12 02:58 PM
01/01/12 02:58 PM
poplar bluff mo.
T
toplescuda Offline
I Whine
toplescuda  Offline
I Whine
T

poplar bluff mo.
i have a top load blast cabnet (decent size)
i use black beauty in mine have found that if sets for a long time i need to stir it up before use
i run a water sep off the compressor it helped a lot
also most of the prob being is the media dont slide back down as easy/fast as ya think it would
put a vibrator (air or ele.) on the side of your hopper will make a huge differance
we have one on a pucker at work and night/day differance

1970 barracuda convert. 1 of 59
1970 pro street A.A.R. clone (panther pink)
1971 charger
2015 hellcat challenger. Redline red
2014 quad cab 4x4 ram 8 speed hemi