B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Fellas -

I have to remove a few sets of axle bearings - one from a Pontiac 8.2" 10 bolt and one from an AMC 20. I have a press which I can use to put new bearings on, but can't see how I could use it to remove the old bearings.

I've used the cutoff wheel method before, but don't want to go that route this time. I'd rather not booger up either set of axles or retainer plates.

Any tips here? There has to be a better way. If there's a tool that I need, I'm fine with that, too.

Thanks!

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: bulletpruf] #1139062
12/19/11 12:25 AM
12/19/11 12:25 AM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada

Last edited by Dodgem; 12/19/11 12:28 AM.
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: Dodgem] #1139063
12/19/11 12:41 AM
12/19/11 12:41 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
You can use the bearing splitter posted above or as you mentioned a cutoff wheel, if you use the splitter you should use a chisel & cut four deep notches in the bearing retainer which is the ring that presses on after the bearing.... It locks the bearing & unless you have a pretty big press you probably won't move the bearing..

I've had good results using a dremel with a small cut off wheel to cut off the out bearing race than cut a groove in the inner race, not all the way through the inner race just about halfway then slam it with a hammer& the race will fracture... Then it slides off pretty easy...

On the AMC Axle the early ones have a bolt on wheel flange & the bearing comes off to the outboard end of the axle..

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1139064
12/19/11 09:42 AM
12/19/11 09:42 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
i have never removed axle bearings. i drop them off at a friends shop and he does it.
i have been told that the retainer ring is hardened steel. because of this take a SHARP chisel and strike the collar a few times. because it is hardened most of the time it just shatters and breaks. if it doesn't do it turn the axle 180* and repeat.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1139065
12/19/11 11:26 AM
12/19/11 11:26 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

You can use the bearing splitter posted above or as you mentioned a cutoff wheel, if you use the splitter you should use a chisel & cut four deep notches in the bearing retainer which is the ring that presses on after the bearing.... It locks the bearing & unless you have a pretty big press you probably won't move the bearing..

I've had good results using a dremel with a small cut off wheel to cut off the out bearing race than cut a groove in the inner race, not all the way through the inner race just about halfway then slam it with a hammer& the race will fracture... Then it slides off pretty easy...

On the AMC Axle the early ones have a bolt on wheel flange & the bearing comes off to the outboard end of the axle..

I have the tool pictured here - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/large-bearing-separator-3979.html

I also have the Harbor Freight 20 ton press.

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I can't figure out how to configure things to press the bearing off.

If I stand the axle on the end, hub down, splines up, on the press, the axle flange will not fit between the bottom support of the press. I don't have anything to use to support the bearing separator as I press the axle down.

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: bulletpruf] #1139066
12/19/11 11:40 AM
12/19/11 11:40 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

I have the tool pictured here - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/large-bearing-separator-3979.html

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I can't figure out how to configure things to press the bearing off.

If I stand the axle on the end, hub down, splines up, on the press, the axle flange will not fit between the bottom support of the press. I don't have anything to use to support the bearing separator as I press the axle down.

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

Then you need to support the bearing seperator up off the bottom support. I don't know what the axles and bearing you are working on look like but When I take apart and 8.75 or dana axle I cut the oter race off , pull the cage and rollers and pull the inner race off . I have also cut the inner race, but not all the way thru, then a few whacks with a hammer and it splits .

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: JohnRR] #1139067
12/19/11 12:15 PM
12/19/11 12:15 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

Then you need to support the bearing seperator up off the bottom support. I don't know what the axles and bearing you are working on look like but When I take apart and 8.75 or dana axle I cut the oter race off , pull the cage and rollers and pull the inner race off . I have also cut the inner race, but not all the way thru, then a few whacks with a hammer and it splits .

Therein lies the problem. I've tried blocking the bearing separator up with 2x4's and 4x4's, but it won't hold up when I start pressing. Thinking if I jammed/wedged in a few jackstands at an angle that might work.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: bulletpruf] #1139068
12/19/11 12:23 PM
12/19/11 12:23 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
I keep a box of old bearing cones and races for that job. The wood blocks don't usually work well.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: bulletpruf] #1139069
12/19/11 12:24 PM
12/19/11 12:24 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
did the press come wit ha pair of flat plates about 1" thick 6"/8" by 4" , that is what I use with them up on their side.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: JohnRR] #1139070
12/19/11 12:41 PM
12/19/11 12:41 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

did the press come wit ha pair of flat plates about 1" thick 6"/8" by 4" , that is what I use with them up on their side.

Yes, but I haven't tried putting them up on their side. I'll give this a try.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: Mr T2U] #1139071
12/19/11 02:15 PM
12/19/11 02:15 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

i have never removed axle bearings. i drop them off at a friends shop and he does it.
i have been told that the retainer ring is hardened steel. because of this take a SHARP chisel and strike the collar a few times. because it is hardened most of the time it just shatters and breaks. if it doesn't do it turn the axle 180* and repeat.

The retainer is not hardened to the point of being able to shatter, Striking it with a chisel forces the ring to expand & it will loosen its grip on the shaft...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1139072
12/19/11 02:26 PM
12/19/11 02:26 PM
Maryland
D
Dads426 Offline
pro stock
Dads426  Offline
pro stock
D

Maryland
After cutting off the bearing cage, I've never been able to get a splitter behind the race, so I have always used 1_WILD_RT's method of using a Dremel (the smaller diameter cutoff wheels allow you to get closer to the cheek on the axle) and just split the collar and race with a chisle while being supported on an anvil.

2012 422 Allstars NSS Champion
2013 422 Allstars NSS Champion
2014 422 Allstars NSS Champion
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: Dads426] #1139073
12/19/11 03:30 PM
12/19/11 03:30 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

After cutting off the bearing cage, I've never been able to get a splitter behind the race, so I have always used 1_WILD_RT's method of using a Dremel (the smaller diameter cutoff wheels allow you to get closer to the cheek on the axle) and just split the collar and race with a chisle while being supported on an anvil.

I never try to get it behind the race , the lip the rollers ride against closet to the retainer rig is where I put the splitter and they have alawys come right off .

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: JohnRR] #1139074
12/19/11 04:22 PM
12/19/11 04:22 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
No matter how you do it be very careful not to bend retainer. They are getting hard to come by.
Also I know of a some old timer that were good with a torch that cut any number of them off with no damage to the axle. NOTE: This is NOT a recommended way of doing it. BUT some one good with a torch or now days plasma cutter can do it with not a problem.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: MoparforLife] #1139075
12/19/11 05:14 PM
12/19/11 05:14 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I have a home made press and a Snap On bearing removel tool that is designed to remove bearings from shafts, I adjust the shelf on the press so I can get the axle in it with the tool behind the axle flange and bearing and stack up some hardwood 2x2 blocks to allow the tool to rest on (remove the locking collar first, I use a chisel and ) and then press the bearing off

6974666-MVC-003S.JPG (43 downloads)

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: bulletpruf] #1139076
12/19/11 06:29 PM
12/19/11 06:29 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
The old way that I have used in the past is to put the axle/bearing on something solid, like an anvil, RR track, etc. Cover with a good fabric, and hit the races. The outer splits easily, the inner usually takes a few solid blows with a big hammer. The fabric is to deflect the chunks of steel that exit quickly. Make sure there are no holes in the cloth DAMHIK. Never used to have all those fancy tools like Dremels and grinders.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: rustbuckett68] #1139077
12/19/11 08:45 PM
12/19/11 08:45 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
A good crack with a BFH with the retainer ring and the races laying on an anvil will a lot of times stretch the metal enough so that they will slide off.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: bulletpruf] #1139078
12/19/11 09:40 PM
12/19/11 09:40 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Quote:

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

There are folks who have made custom fixtures to press the bearings off... including a machine shop I work with from time to time. This IS NOT the recommended way though. It takes a very large force on a long slender axle which is dangerous. The guy that did it for me last time said the pressure guage on his press went way to the right before it let go with a big bang that made him jump. His was a professional press and he has done many of these.

Side cutters to get the cage off then the chisle is the recommended way for a reason...

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: MoparforLife] #1139079
12/19/11 10:39 PM
12/19/11 10:39 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
I've found that they usually split or break. The reason for the rag is when they break, the metal particles come off at a high speed, and in my case, causing semi-serious leakage.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? [Re: ahy] #1139080
12/19/11 10:59 PM
12/19/11 10:59 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA

There are folks who have made custom fixtures to press the bearings off... including a machine shop I work with from time to time. This IS NOT the recommended way though. It takes a very large force on a long slender axle which is dangerous. The guy that did it for me last time said the pressure guage on his press went way to the right before it let go with a big bang that made him jump. His was a professional press and he has done many of these.

Side cutters to get the cage off then the chisle is the recommended way for a reason...

I have seen the same thing when the press operator DIDN"T remove the bearing retaining collar first , double press fit doubles the required amount of pressure needed to get the bearing moving Common sense is needed anytime your working on or operating equiptment,cars, airplanes, boats, women and horses

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Page 1 of 2 1 2