Moparts

Tips on Removing Axle Bearings?

Posted By: bulletpruf

Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:15 AM

Fellas -

I have to remove a few sets of axle bearings - one from a Pontiac 8.2" 10 bolt and one from an AMC 20. I have a press which I can use to put new bearings on, but can't see how I could use it to remove the old bearings.

I've used the cutoff wheel method before, but don't want to go that route this time. I'd rather not booger up either set of axles or retainer plates.

Any tips here? There has to be a better way. If there's a tool that I need, I'm fine with that, too.

Thanks!

Scott
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:25 AM

don't you need something like these they have various sizes
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...0043468&cpn

Or hear
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers.html
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:41 AM

You can use the bearing splitter posted above or as you mentioned a cutoff wheel, if you use the splitter you should use a chisel & cut four deep notches in the bearing retainer which is the ring that presses on after the bearing.... It locks the bearing & unless you have a pretty big press you probably won't move the bearing..

I've had good results using a dremel with a small cut off wheel to cut off the out bearing race than cut a groove in the inner race, not all the way through the inner race just about halfway then slam it with a hammer& the race will fracture... Then it slides off pretty easy...

On the AMC Axle the early ones have a bolt on wheel flange & the bearing comes off to the outboard end of the axle..
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 01:42 PM

i have never removed axle bearings. i drop them off at a friends shop and he does it.
i have been told that the retainer ring is hardened steel. because of this take a SHARP chisel and strike the collar a few times. because it is hardened most of the time it just shatters and breaks. if it doesn't do it turn the axle 180* and repeat.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 03:26 PM

Quote:

You can use the bearing splitter posted above or as you mentioned a cutoff wheel, if you use the splitter you should use a chisel & cut four deep notches in the bearing retainer which is the ring that presses on after the bearing.... It locks the bearing & unless you have a pretty big press you probably won't move the bearing..

I've had good results using a dremel with a small cut off wheel to cut off the out bearing race than cut a groove in the inner race, not all the way through the inner race just about halfway then slam it with a hammer& the race will fracture... Then it slides off pretty easy...

On the AMC Axle the early ones have a bolt on wheel flange & the bearing comes off to the outboard end of the axle..

I have the tool pictured here - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/large-bearing-separator-3979.html

I also have the Harbor Freight 20 ton press.

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I can't figure out how to configure things to press the bearing off.

If I stand the axle on the end, hub down, splines up, on the press, the axle flange will not fit between the bottom support of the press. I don't have anything to use to support the bearing separator as I press the axle down.

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 03:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the tool pictured here - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/large-bearing-separator-3979.html

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I can't figure out how to configure things to press the bearing off.

If I stand the axle on the end, hub down, splines up, on the press, the axle flange will not fit between the bottom support of the press. I don't have anything to use to support the bearing separator as I press the axle down.

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

Then you need to support the bearing seperator up off the bottom support. I don't know what the axles and bearing you are working on look like but When I take apart and 8.75 or dana axle I cut the oter race off , pull the cage and rollers and pull the inner race off . I have also cut the inner race, but not all the way thru, then a few whacks with a hammer and it splits .

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

Then you need to support the bearing seperator up off the bottom support. I don't know what the axles and bearing you are working on look like but When I take apart and 8.75 or dana axle I cut the oter race off , pull the cage and rollers and pull the inner race off . I have also cut the inner race, but not all the way thru, then a few whacks with a hammer and it splits .

Therein lies the problem. I've tried blocking the bearing separator up with 2x4's and 4x4's, but it won't hold up when I start pressing. Thinking if I jammed/wedged in a few jackstands at an angle that might work.

Thanks

Scott
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:23 PM

I keep a box of old bearing cones and races for that job. The wood blocks don't usually work well.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:24 PM

did the press come wit ha pair of flat plates about 1" thick 6"/8" by 4" , that is what I use with them up on their side.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 04:41 PM

Quote:

did the press come wit ha pair of flat plates about 1" thick 6"/8" by 4" , that is what I use with them up on their side.

Yes, but I haven't tried putting them up on their side. I'll give this a try.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 06:15 PM

Quote:

i have never removed axle bearings. i drop them off at a friends shop and he does it.
i have been told that the retainer ring is hardened steel. because of this take a SHARP chisel and strike the collar a few times. because it is hardened most of the time it just shatters and breaks. if it doesn't do it turn the axle 180* and repeat.

The retainer is not hardened to the point of being able to shatter, Striking it with a chisel forces the ring to expand & it will loosen its grip on the shaft...
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 06:26 PM

After cutting off the bearing cage, I've never been able to get a splitter behind the race, so I have always used 1_WILD_RT's method of using a Dremel (the smaller diameter cutoff wheels allow you to get closer to the cheek on the axle) and just split the collar and race with a chisle while being supported on an anvil.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 07:30 PM

Quote:

After cutting off the bearing cage, I've never been able to get a splitter behind the race, so I have always used 1_WILD_RT's method of using a Dremel (the smaller diameter cutoff wheels allow you to get closer to the cheek on the axle) and just split the collar and race with a chisle while being supported on an anvil.

I never try to get it behind the race , the lip the rollers ride against closet to the retainer rig is where I put the splitter and they have alawys come right off .
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 08:22 PM

No matter how you do it be very careful not to bend retainer. They are getting hard to come by.
Also I know of a some old timer that were good with a torch that cut any number of them off with no damage to the axle. NOTE: This is NOT a recommended way of doing it. BUT some one good with a torch or now days plasma cutter can do it with not a problem.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 09:14 PM

I have a home made press and a Snap On bearing removel tool that is designed to remove bearings from shafts, I adjust the shelf on the press so I can get the axle in it with the tool behind the axle flange and bearing and stack up some hardwood 2x2 blocks to allow the tool to rest on (remove the locking collar first, I use a chisel and ) and then press the bearing off

Attached picture 6974666-MVC-003S.JPG
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/19/11 10:29 PM

The old way that I have used in the past is to put the axle/bearing on something solid, like an anvil, RR track, etc. Cover with a good fabric, and hit the races. The outer splits easily, the inner usually takes a few solid blows with a big hammer. The fabric is to deflect the chunks of steel that exit quickly. Make sure there are no holes in the cloth DAMHIK. Never used to have all those fancy tools like Dremels and grinders.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 12:45 AM

A good crack with a BFH with the retainer ring and the races laying on an anvil will a lot of times stretch the metal enough so that they will slide off.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Am I making sense here?

Thanks

Scott

There are folks who have made custom fixtures to press the bearings off... including a machine shop I work with from time to time. This IS NOT the recommended way though. It takes a very large force on a long slender axle which is dangerous. The guy that did it for me last time said the pressure guage on his press went way to the right before it let go with a big bang that made him jump. His was a professional press and he has done many of these.

Side cutters to get the cage off then the chisle is the recommended way for a reason...
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 02:39 AM

I've found that they usually split or break. The reason for the rag is when they break, the metal particles come off at a high speed, and in my case, causing semi-serious leakage.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 02:59 AM

There are folks who have made custom fixtures to press the bearings off... including a machine shop I work with from time to time. This IS NOT the recommended way though. It takes a very large force on a long slender axle which is dangerous. The guy that did it for me last time said the pressure guage on his press went way to the right before it let go with a big bang that made him jump. His was a professional press and he has done many of these.

Side cutters to get the cage off then the chisle is the recommended way for a reason...

I have seen the same thing when the press operator DIDN"T remove the bearing retaining collar first , double press fit doubles the required amount of pressure needed to get the bearing moving Common sense is needed anytime your working on or operating equiptment,cars, airplanes, boats, women and horses
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 08:08 AM

This is my procedure:

1. Spin the axle in a stationary chop saw to quickly grind a groove in the lock ring.

2. Cut the OUTER race and bearing cage off with a torch

3. Clamp the bearing splitter's jaws in the groove cut in the lock ring.

4. Remove the lock ring in a press, with the bearing splitter supported by a piece of well casing.

5. Clamp the bearing splitter tight on the inner race against the small lip on the inside edge. This will prevent the splitter from slipping off as you press the axle through the well casing.

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 03:37 PM

Appreciate all the info, fellas.

The Pontiac 8.2" axles were fairly easy - - I had some room behind the axle retainer plate to work and I was able to cut a deep gouge in the lock ring with a cutoff tool. Split it with the chisel and it came right off. Then cut halfway through the bearing and removed the top portion of it. Finished off the inner portion by taking a chisel to it and knocking it off the axle intact.

I wanted to be extra careful as these are fairly rare forged axles for a Pontiac "Heavy Duty Saf-T-Track" 8.2" A-body rear with a nodular case. Most of the axles were cast.

For the AMC, I don't have much room to work with right now, but should be easy once I remove the hubs. Have to pick up a 1 5/16" socket today and will get it off with an impact. Will use a puller to get the hub off, then the axles should fit into my press.

Thanks!

Scott

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 05:34 PM

Use your press to remove the flange...

Re: Tips on Removing Axle Bearings? - 12/20/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

Use your press to remove the flange...

Good point. That will be easier than using a puller.

Thanks

Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums