Quote:

Quote:

to build the converter to the proper stall, the shop will need to know your exact cam specs, exact compression ratio, rear tire size (height), maybe a few other things also (you already mentioned your axle gear ratio). If he doesn't ask or care about the above information, he is building something more of a generic converter instead of a converter built to maximize performance. And he should be suggesting a decent auxillary trans cooler also. Cheaper converters in general will slip more and generate more heat than a better built model. So read up and proceed with caution/plenty of information.

I understand what you're saying, but I bought this motor from someone already assembled. I'll check the many reciepts I have for any part numbers that may give me more info, but I don't know how detailed that will be. It seems like a pretty much stock rebuild with better intake and bigger carb. It ran perfectly fine in some 87 octane that I had in the tank, even though I run 93 octane, so that makes me think comp ratio and cam are pretty tame, given the really smooth idle and LA heads. It's not really a performance build, just looking to make my daily driver a little more peppy/fun/respectable. Does this info help at all with a recommendation? Right now I'm leaning toward 2000-2200, that sound ok?Cheaper converters in general will slip more and generate more heat than a better built model. So read up and proceed with caution/plenty of information.

Okay. Please understand, I'm not trying to be a downer. I just know that the right converter for your package will put a smile on your face every time you mash the gas pedal. And the wrong converter will make your car a dog at which point you will be pulling the transmission again and changing the converter, or worse, you will loose interest in the project and sell it. And there is a lot of area between those 2 extremes also.

2000-2200 sounds reasonable, but is really a roll of the dice with experiences of others here helping to tilt odds to your favor. How much time will you spend operating the engine at or below 2200? If most of your driving is on the highway or at engine speeds above 2200 rpm, you should be okay. If most of your driving is in the city, a 2200 stall could cause a lot of transmission heat from slipping and hurt your gas mileage pretty bad also.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph