Moparts

Trans kickdown linkage update w/ pics

Posted By: roe

Trans kickdown linkage update w/ pics - 01/28/11 08:16 PM

what speed would you consider as a factory high stall? Manufacturer just said that a standard replacement, which is the only one they carry is 1800-2000. What would be a factory high_stall speed rating?

thanks
roe
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/28/11 09:11 PM

about that amount,IMO

will depend on engine input and results vary

you have the balance fly wheel so a stock high stall TC for a 904 is what you want

unless you want/need more stall,then it what you pay for and aftermarket
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/28/11 09:36 PM

Big blocks were a 10.5 inch converter with a 2800 stall, if I recall correctly. If this is going behind a smallblock, find out what they used on the AAR/TA motors or behind a 340 demon.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 12:38 AM

As an example, from the 1975 FSM:

318 w/904, 10.75", 2125rpm - 2425rpm stall

318 w/727, 11.75", 1725rpm - 2025rpm stall

360-2 or 360-4, 10.75", 2300rpm - 2600rpm stall

360-4 H.P., 10.75", 2200rpm - 2500rpm stall

400-2 or 400-4, 11.75", 1875rpm - 2175rpm stall

400-4 H.P., 10.75", 2400rpm - 2700rpm stall

Note: There are three 440-4 engines listed, not denoting any difference other than converter size. Two with the same larger converter size have different stall speeds. I can only assume that the one with the higher stall speed is behind an H.P. engine, but through a printing error it is not shown as such. There should be one in the chart. I would also assume that the 440 with the small converter would also most certainly be an H.P. application. Why two different converters behind H.P. engines?

440-4, 11.75", 1975rpm - 2275rpm stall

440-4, 10.75", 2600rpm - 2900rpm stall

440-4, 11.75", 2100rpm - 2400rpm stall
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 12:42 AM

The actual stall speed of the factory hi-stall converters varies with the engine it's coupled to; for example, in the chart below the 727-equipped 318, 340 and 383-4 all used the exact same hi-stall converter.

The 440 didn't get a hi-stall converter until around '75.

Attached picture 6443934-1968stallspeeds.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 03:31 AM

ok, thanks a lot guys. I've been pricing a trans rebuild where I supplied the parts, but the most recommended shop near me suggested letting him do the converter in-house so that its covered under their warranty, and he asked me what stall speed I would want. For the car in my sig, 360/904, edelbrock performer intake, 4bbl edelbrock carb (1406 model IIRC) with 8 1/4 rear and 2.76 gears, what stall speed would you suggest. 1800-2000 or say 2000-2200 ish, or even higher. Hopefully in the future I will swap in a 2.94 or even a 3.23 gear at the most, but it won't be for a while, if that matters at all.

I posted a similar question before and the consensus was that a factory high stall would be good for me, but i never asked exactly what that stall speed was.

thanks again
roe
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 05:58 AM

to build the converter to the proper stall, the shop will need to know your exact cam specs, exact compression ratio, rear tire size (height), maybe a few other things also (you already mentioned your axle gear ratio). If he doesn't ask or care about the above information, he is building something more of a generic converter instead of a converter built to maximize performance. And he should be suggesting a decent auxillary trans cooler also. Cheaper converters in general will slip more and generate more heat than a better built model. So read up and proceed with caution/plenty of information.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 06:05 AM

Factory high stall would be ok with your combo. Who is building the transmission?

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 09:36 PM

Quote:

to build the converter to the proper stall, the shop will need to know your exact cam specs, exact compression ratio, rear tire size (height), maybe a few other things also (you already mentioned your axle gear ratio). If he doesn't ask or care about the above information, he is building something more of a generic converter instead of a converter built to maximize performance. And he should be suggesting a decent auxillary trans cooler also. Cheaper converters in general will slip more and generate more heat than a better built model. So read up and proceed with caution/plenty of information.

I understand what you're saying, but I bought this motor from someone already assembled. I'll check the many reciepts I have for any part numbers that may give me more info, but I don't know how detailed that will be. It seems like a pretty much stock rebuild with better intake and bigger carb. It ran perfectly fine in some 87 octane that I had in the tank, even though I run 93 octane, so that makes me think comp ratio and cam are pretty tame, given the really smooth idle and LA heads. It's not really a performance build, just looking to make my daily driver a little more peppy/fun/respectable. Does this info help at all with a recommendation? Right now I'm leaning toward 2000-2200, that sound ok?Cheaper converters in general will slip more and generate more heat than a better built model. So read up and proceed with caution/plenty of information.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 09:51 PM

Quote:

Factory high stall would be ok with your combo. Who is building the transmission?

I haven't made a decision yet, just pricing and getting references right now. The shop I'm leaning towards, Danny's Transmissions, is a little more than the others, but not a crazy amount. I've contacted about 8 shops so far and two of those actually referred me to Danny's.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/29/11 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but I bought this motor from someone already assembled. I'll check the many reciepts I have for any part numbers that may give me more info, but I don't know how detailed that will be. It seems like a pretty much stock rebuild with better intake and bigger carb. It ran perfectly fine in some 87 octane that I had in the tank, even though I run 93 octane, so that makes me think comp ratio and cam are pretty tame, given the really smooth idle and LA heads. It's not really a performance build, just looking to make my daily driver a little more peppy/fun/respectable. Does this info help at all with a recommendation? Right now I'm leaning toward 2000-2200, that sound ok?Cheaper converters in general will slip more and generate more heat than a better built model. So read up and proceed with caution/plenty of information.

Okay. Please understand, I'm not trying to be a downer. I just know that the right converter for your package will put a smile on your face every time you mash the gas pedal. And the wrong converter will make your car a dog at which point you will be pulling the transmission again and changing the converter, or worse, you will loose interest in the project and sell it. And there is a lot of area between those 2 extremes also.

2000-2200 sounds reasonable, but is really a roll of the dice with experiences of others here helping to tilt odds to your favor. How much time will you spend operating the engine at or below 2200? If most of your driving is on the highway or at engine speeds above 2200 rpm, you should be okay. If most of your driving is in the city, a 2200 stall could cause a lot of transmission heat from slipping and hurt your gas mileage pretty bad also.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 12:10 AM

No you're not being a downer, that's why I started this post, so I can get advice from those with more knowledge/experience with this than me. I dont do an outrageous amount of highway/long distance driving, but with this being my daily driver its the car I use when I do. So even with an auxillary trans cooler you think that will slip too much and cause excessive heat? would the 1800-2000 be better for me?

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 12:28 AM

excessive heat kills transmissions, so a good trans cooler will help get the extra heat out of the transmission. I'd consider it a must have, cheap insurance. You can even get used ones from the pick and pull. If you find yourself stuck in 20 mph traffic in town, stop and go, and your rpm's are below your stall speed, you can manually shift down to 1st or 2nd gear and hold it there until you get out of traffic, and that will probably increase above your stall speed, but will suck down gas also that way. Whether you choose 1800-2000, or 2000 - 2200, I'd say too close to pick with certainty without specifics on your engine and the rest of the package. The vehicle weight also plays into this. All of my experience is with lighter A bodies, so a B will want a little different stall.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 12:29 AM

Ok guys, I read back over this post and some similar ones by me and others and have decided to go with the 1800-2000 stall speed, with the engine specs that I can supply him. I will also check my reciepts and see if I can come up with more. I will have a trans cooler aswell. Anyone object to this?

thanks
roe

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 12:36 AM

Quote:

excessive heat kills transmissions, so a good trans cooler will help get the extra heat out of the cooler. I'd consider it a must have, cheap insurance. You can even get used ones from the pick and pull. If you find yourself stuck in 20 mph traffic in town, stop and go, and your rpm's are below your stall speed, you can manually shift down to 1st or 2nd gear and hold it there until you get out of traffic, and that will probably increase above your stall speed, but will suck down gas also that way. Whether you choose 1800-2000, or 2000 - 2200, I'd say too close to pick with certainty without specifics on your engine and the rest of the package. The vehicle weight also plays into this. All of my experience is with lighter A bodies, so a B will want a little different stall.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 12:48 AM

I always have PTC build converters for my application, but a factory hi stall(which is far from it in fact.LOL) is only about $85.00. So I'd suggest if your on a tight budget just slap a stock or Hi stall factory unit and drive it. If you need another builder option PM me. You still in Gville?

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 01:50 AM

read this a time or two, it may help answer some of your questions. torque converter operation and performance

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 01:59 AM

Quote:

read this a time or two, it may help answer some of your questions. torque converter operation and performance

Sorry,I don't have any questions. Maybe you mean the OP.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 01/30/11 02:19 AM

Quote:

good read and good info.

thanks

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 02/18/11 08:04 PM

Quote:

finally got around to looking through some receipts that came with the motor and found something that says 268* duration, and .458" lift with "same as factory 340 cam" written next to it, and "hyper pistons 9:1 comp"

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 02/28/11 06:26 PM

finally got around to getting the numbers off the panrail. PK4295887 8561 2973

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/14/11 11:54 PM

linkage style

Attached picture 6530138-100_1781.JPG

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/14/11 11:56 PM

rigged where pin was

Attached picture 6530142-100_1787.JPG

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 12:20 AM

is this the adjuster screw, the one with the nut on it?

Attached picture 6530203-IMAG0304.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

That's a mess and no that "screw" isn't and adjustment screw. You might be better to find someone to fix that for you. I'm sure a diagram and adjustment procedure can be found on the net.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's a mess and no that "screw" isn't and adjustment screw. You might be better to find someone to fix that for you. I'm sure a diagram and adjustment procedure can be found on the net.

Yeah, the wire is there because the pin went bye-bye on the drive from FL to TX. I thought it was better than just letting it dangle. It will be adressed and fixed on Thursday with the help of a mopar guy at the trans shop. He has a spare setup for his Charger, a '71 IIRC. He will also be attempting to adjust the bands. I just want to take this as a chance to learn about it as well, for future adjustments. Where exactly can I find the band adjuster on a 904 trans?

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 01:19 AM

One adjustment is on the outside of the case, the other adjustment is inside the case, need to remove the pan (and maybe the valve body, can't remember).
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 01:20 AM

Completely unrelated to your original question, but damn you need a real air cleaner! Youre choking that thing!

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 01:32 AM

Quote:

Completely unrelated to your original question, but damn you need a real air cleaner! Youre choking that thing!

The one that was on there sat too low and stopped the carb linkage from going to full throttle. Eventually I want the black wrinkle Mopar Performace air cleaner and valve covers.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

One adjustment is on the outside of the case, the other adjustment is inside the case, need to remove the pan (and maybe the valve body, can't remember).

Do you know the location of the adjuster outside the case?

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 01:39 AM

Look at your last pic. That is the band adjuster for the front band(to the left of the lever). The low band adjuster is inside the pan.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

Look at your last pic. That is the band adjuster for the front band(to the left of the lever). The low band adjuster is inside the pan.

Ok, the one to the left edge of the pic. Thats the one I was referring to earlier. The one with the square tip on it that threaded into what appears to be a "nut". Should have been more clear which one I was referring to I guess.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 02:06 AM

The "nut" is a lock nut to hold the adjustment in place.

Loosen the lock nut, make the adjustment with the square head. While holding the square nut in position, lock that adjustment in place with the lock nut.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 02:18 AM

Quote:

The "nut" is a lock nut to hold the adjustment in place.

Loosen the lock nut, make the adjustment with the square head. While holding the square nut in position, lock that adjustment in place with the lock nut.

Ok, that makes sense. So exactly what is happening when making that adjustment? I assume a clockwise turn is tightening the bands right? Are you just tightening the clearances between the bands? If so, how does it affect the trans? Quicker shifts, stiffer shifts?

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 02:44 AM

It's been years since I last did this, so I'll defer to others here. A shop manual would tell you. I do know that from the numbers you listed, you'll need to determine what year 904 you have. The band adjustments are similar through the years, but not identical.
The bands are a wear item. As they wear down they get looser. The adjustment tightens them back to spec. At some point you won't be able to adjust them anymore, then its time to replace them. Won't give you quicker shifts, but should be more firm. You may not notice a difference, but the bands will be happier.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 02:52 AM

scratchinfotraction was able to let me know from the panrail #'s that it is an '84 A-904, and that it could be lockup or non-lockup b/c o f the year. I wont know for sure until after I pull the converter. Im hoping the adjustment, a fluid and filter change, and proper setup of the kickdown linkage will get me squared away.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 04:39 AM

first thing I see that needs fixed is the slot in the TPV linkage at the carb

that needs to be lengthend to fit with the pin sitting at the back of the slot

so the lever moves when the throttle moves

looks like a mess on the levers at the trans

looks like 2 levers put together or something

I am sure hope the tranz guy fixes that

with the TPV out of wack like in those pics it will kill itself in short order

not knocking on you or your car..but man thats fugly looking linkage and is the first thing we need to help you get right

at the carb on the flat bar..thats were I use 2 of them bolted together to get the slot on the throttl pin then work back to the tranz levers

yes,back the 3/4 lock nut off,run the adjsut in and snug it with a small 5/16" wrench by hand or to 72 inch pounds,back off 2 turns ,hold adjuster and lock the 3/4 nut back down

same with the low/revs band,its in the pan and can be done with VB in place

that TPV linkage and cobbled mess is deff why it shifts early and maybe has 4000rpms at 70mph

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 04:47 AM

looking at the pics,I see you need a mopar throttle adaptor on the carb to get the throttle pin in the correct place

2 flat bars for bellcrank to carb adjustment to start with first

does not look like much adjustment is left on the band with only 1/2" of threds,but it might have one last time on it

I cant make out the TPV lever or the gear selctor lever to well

looks like they are mixed pieces and cobbled together some how

I got 1/2 of what you need if your guy needs some parts to go with his

its like playing I spy with your pics..post more plez

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/15/11 04:54 AM

looks to be a 1 piece rod for the TPV linkage

it will have a slide block with a lock bolt and a spring on the rod with the slide block( looks like what the rubber hose and clamp are doing...)

that and 2 flat blades and throttle adaptor for the carb should fix it up some

looks like 2 TPV levers are tied together with the wire,thats not gonna work at all

I have a bunch of those that have the d hole clock in diff spots to aid in adjsuting them with a 1 piece rod

the shift linkage from the colum work ok?

cant see it in the pics

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 02:28 AM

first thing I see that needs fixed is the slot in the TPV linkage at the carb. that needs to be lengthend to fit with the pin sitting at the back of the slot so the lever moves when the throttle moves

Done. After removing the TPV bracket (at the trans) from the 2bbl setup, I put the one on that came with the 4bbl kickdown linkage that I had, and that let the TPV linkage at the carb move to where it needed to be.

looks like a mess on the levers at the trans. looks like 2 levers put together or something

It was 2 of them. I feel like an idiot for that . I removed one, and put on the correct one. No more wire there.

I am sure hope the tranz guy fixes that

with the TPV out of wack like in those pics it will kill itself in short order

not knocking on you or your car..but man thats fugly looking linkage and is the first thing we need to help you get right

Yeah, it was royally screwed up, but I got it squared away with your help

at the carb on the flat bar..thats were I use 2 of them bolted together to get the slot on the throttl pin then work back to the tranz levers

Once I got the correct TPV lever on the trans, then the linkage at the carb was able to be positioned correctly without having to use 2 of those bars. I do remember someone mentioning in another thread that that was a good way to adapt a 2bbl kickdown linkage to work with a 4bbl.

yes,back the 3/4 lock nut off,run the adjsut in and snug it with a small 5/16" wrench by hand or to 72 inch pounds,back off 2 turns ,hold adjuster and lock the 3/4 nut back down. same with the low/revs band,its in the pan and can be done with VB in place

Ok, I actually wont be touching this part, Im going to leave that to the trans guy so he can also let me know what he thinks about the overall condition of the trans while he's in there. I just wanted to try and tackle this linkage before I took it to him, and with the help I got here I was able to.

that TPV linkage and cobbled mess is deff why it shifts early and maybe has 4000rpms at 70mph

After adjusting some of the bends in the kickdown linkage bar, I was able to get the trans to shift properly, at the right speed and at proper rpms. I also had to adjust the placement of the slide block that connects to the TPV lever on the trans. If I had it sit on top of the lever it was hitting the trans fluid line. So I mounted it on the underside of the lever and all is well. Haven't had a chance to take it on the freeway but will report back with shift speeds/rpms, and hwy cruise rpm's.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 02:56 AM

looking at the pics,I see you need a mopar throttle adaptor on the carb to get the throttle pin in the correct place

I was able to get everything lined up and working with the current carb setup, but I went ahead and ordered the throttle adapter bracket so that I can change the placement of the kickdown linkage return spring (dont know what else to call it), the one that returns the kickdown linkage to starting position. No one had the throttle adapter in stock so I ordered it and it should be here on thurs

2 flat bars for bellcrank to carb adjustment to start with first

does not look like much adjustment is left on the band with only 1/2" of threds,but it might have one last time on it

hopefully there is one last adjustment on it, it may actually be about 3/4" left on the threads. Either way, Im hoping

I cant make out the TPV lever or the gear selctor lever to well. looks like they are mixed pieces and cobbled together some how

I havent had any problems with the gear selector. At one point the gear selector was off slightly. I would have to go slightly past Drive in order for it to move into drive, so I just adjusted it at the adjustment point on the linkage. I'll get some pics of the gear selector linkage as well when I grab some of the corrected kickdown linkage.

I got 1/2 of what you need if your guy needs some parts to go with his

its like playing I spy with your pics..post more plez

more pics soon to come

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:33 AM

TPV linkage sitting against throttle pin correctly with return spring. Everthing funtioning properly but still waiting on mopar throttle adapter bracket

Attached picture 6532639-IMAG0309.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:39 AM

New TPV lever with slider block mounted from bottom. Still dont have the spring that should be in front of the slider block.

Attached picture 6532641-IMAG0315.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:42 AM

another angle

Attached picture 6532642-IMAG0316.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:46 AM

The kickdown rod how it sits after I made my adjustments with the bends

Attached picture 6532645-IMAG0322.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:51 AM

You asked about my gear selector linkage so here is the connection at the steering column

Attached picture 6532648-IMAG0312.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:55 AM

Rod with the adjuster on it that comes down from the steering column

Attached picture 6532652-IMAG0313.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 08:57 AM

Gear selector connection at trans

Attached picture 6532653-IMAG0314.jpg

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 09:01 AM

Last one

Attached picture 6532655-IMAG0318.jpg
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 01:19 PM

Even though you're well on your way to getting this straightened out, here's an excellent source for factory advice on adjustments.
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm
Go toward the bottom of the page for the more recent bulletins.
The print literature will open with just a plain ole web browser.

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 01:45 PM

thats mucho better

when you get the throttle adaptor it will move it back an inch or so

you may then need to rebend the rod as needed,if it then whats to move the flat bar slot back it ok,you will just use the 2 bars to make that up and all the adjustment will be down on the slide block

the spring that pulls the TPV linkage forward should be on the throttle pin and hooked to the hole in the end of the long 1-piece rod

the shifter linkage looks good

very well done

you look ready for the band adjustment and road test now that the linkage is close enuff to adjust

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 03/16/11 03:29 PM

Quote:

thats mucho better

when you get the throttle adaptor it will move it back an inch or so

you may then need to rebend the rod as needed,if it then whats to move the flat bar slot back it ok,you will just use the 2 bars to make that up and all the adjustment will be down on the slide block

the spring that pulls the TPV linkage forward should be on the throttle pin and hooked to the hole in the end of the long 1-piece rod

the shifter linkage looks good

very well done

you look ready for the band adjustment and road test now that the linkage is close enuff to adjust

Yeah, I've got the linkage adjusted to where I want the shifts. I'll post the shift speeds and rpms after the band adjustment and fluid/filter change.

I got a lot done recently with the car. It turned out that the fuel sending unit was shot so I replaced that yesterday as well, now my fuel gauge works and is accurate. I will also be doing a complete flush and replace of the brake fluid in the system. The front brake hoses were replaced when I put on new calipers, and the rear hose and wheel cylinders will be replaced before I flush the system. I replaced the brake booster/master cylinder about a week or two ago. I put on a new tranny mount as the old one was shot. Everything is coming along nicely.

I may even get to some cosmetic stuff like swapping in my side marker lenses, and making a new set of lenses for my parking lights.

roe
Posted By: cv70chall

Re: Factory hi_stall converter - 10/14/13 10:24 PM

I think I have the wrong kick-down bar installed. The linkage at the carb (just behind it) won't stand upright because it seems as if the bar is too short. I also need to find/ buy a kick down spring.
Any ideas as to where I might be able to get the right bar and spring?
I have a 360-904 combo with a 4BBL setup.

(See pix)

Thanks!

Attached picture 7887535-EngineViewPOST1.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums