Quote:

I'm ready to start assembly of a 1976 360 block for my 71 Demon. Got it punched 30 over and bought stock dished pistons which are only rated at 8 to 1 compression. I wonder if I made a mistake there, since I bought a summit racing cam with 284 advertised duration (228 @ .050).

This engine will be pretty much stock except for the cam, double roller timing chain, and hi volume oil pump, so I'm worried about the lumpy cam I bought. I read that I should be going with 9 to 1 compression with this cam. Am I going to bend my valves or pushrods?
Should I exchange these pistons before its too late?

I'm building this engine for street use. Of course I want good power but it doesn't need to be super fast. A 14 second qurter would be nice. I've got an aluminum intake and 4 bbl Holley for the top.

Any suggestions are appreciated! This is the first v8 I've built myself.

Also - I'm getting the heads redone: Is it worth the extra money to get the intake valves widened to 2.02? They are stock 1.88 right now.

8 to 1 compression isn't going to cut it with this cam. 9 to 1, is more realistic. The compression you now have would make decent power
with a cam closer to the 340 cam specs. If you decide to ditch the "lumpy" cam, you may need to make a few KEY adjustments to the engine with a "smaller" cam. Yes, the intakes CAN be widened
to 2.02. It, will benefit you later on, IF you decide go back with the higher compression and "lumpy" cam. But for now, weigh the price of new 9 to 1 pistons, rings and prep work AGAINST a complete cam kit (preferably around 215-220 degrees @ .050 on the intake) for your engine. BTW
what kind of intake manifold and size of Holley carb?

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)