Pretty close to my 414 build I have on the stand, just patiently waitng for Ryan at Shady Dell to work his Magic on my Eddies.

For a mostly street motor to maximize your cam choice you really need to see the flow curve of the heads you are working with, you can 'ballpark' a cam but to really get it right we need the flow curve. I pay most attention to the mid (.200-.400) lifts as well as some of the ratios between the mid and peak lifts to set the ideal Intake centerlines and Intake closing events.

With a 4 speed I'd be looking at a ported Victor 340 over an RPM, bottom end torque is not going to be an issue for you, not with those gears and a 4 speed. Also with a 4 speed in a port limited motor you MAY want to consider spreading out the lobe seperation (you have less rpm drop between gears than an automatic so you should want more gap between peak tq and peak HP rpm). I would say 108 would be minimum for your case, Tight centers and under ported equals limited RPM potential with a fast rising (but fast falling) torquer peak.

Bottom line head flow determines your HP potential (assuming you have the induction to match)...and to some extent it also determines your max HP RPM so this is what you use to dial-in your intake duration. Both Tim and Dwayne are great choices for advise. If your motor is under-ported (let's say your heads only flow ~.265 @ .550) for 418 cubes you can go a little bigger on the lobe but spread the centers out to help the upper RPM breathing....but you see in this case the better flowing (up high), shorter runner Victor 340 is also going to help that out.

Based on the 265 cfm ( which we'll assume pretty average for well worked home ported eddies) I would look at something around 248/252 @.050 on 108 and around .575 lift but put it in around 105, you could go bigger with more compression. Wih a Bullet cam you could go bigger and still have good torque but with Eddies and the RPM intake I doubt it would make any more power. Bullet has some very impressive HR lobes that rev a LOT quicker than the HR's of the past, great .200 up numbers that get fairly close (but not quite) to some of the more mild solid roller race grinds.

I like to build the stroker shortblock for the broadest bottom to top torque and then put the best heads I'm willing to afford for the build on it, from there I use the cam specs to TUNE WHERE I want the torque and power peaks based on the gears, weight and stall I want to run.

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/28/10 12:37 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0