Quote:

OK, here is the price comparison I was talking about:
440 Source Stroker Kit = $1997
Includes: Crank, Rods, Pistons, pins, locks rings, main and rod bearings, and balancing.

Summits cost for the same Total Seal Moly rings ($113.95 Actually 440 source is cheaper, only $109.95), Clevite "H" series mains bearings ($91.60), and stock rod size Clevite "H" series bearings (103.60)
Going with the inexpensive KB pistons ($332.99), and new rod bolts ($61.31)
so far we have $674.80 just in parts and no labor.
To press in the new rod bolts and recondition the stock rods, labor might be $100, and balancing the engine may be $200+, and I did not even mention the costs of the crank needs to be ground and/or polished and if it needs oversized bearings the cost of the bearing could be alot more. So you could have an easy $974.80+ into shortblock parts/labor, not including the bore/hone of the block.
Anyhow you can see the additional cost of the stroker is really only about an extra $1,022.20
and that is not even a good apples to apples comparison, lets throw in the cost of the off-the-shelf ROSS Forged pistons at $664.99. That would add $332 to a comprable 383 built engine using the stock crank and rods, the the cost differential is more like $690.20
So on the bank per buck factor many consider 1HP/$10 a good deal. The $690.20 gets you an extra 101 CID (at 0.030" over stock stroke displacement is 388.46, 4.25" stroker is 489.17 CID), and that should help make alot more horse power, at least better than 1HP/$10 or 69+ HP?

I have also done the stock vs. aftermarket cylinder head thing before, and you may be able to do the stock heads for $200-$500 less than Stealth or RPM heads, but unless you can port them yourself and your time and materials have no value, you really don't get much bang for the buck using the stock heads unless you need a pure stock appearance, but that gets killed pretty quick when going after performance.
Anyhow, I think that in true costs you end up with something like a 400-425HP 388 cid engine using the stock crank, rods, heads, or a 525-550+ HP stroker with aftermarket heads that only cost about $1,000 to $1,500 extra (about $4,500-$5000 estimate?)

Ok, lets hear your opinions.......

Thanks for all the info! It hardly makes sense to do anything less than all of it on a 383. With the aftermarket head you lose the stock look that I am wanting to retain but gain a ton of power. That seems to be the biggest thing I need to figure out is the heads. 3k was dreaming unless I want a slug I guess. It's been 20 years since I did any type of rebuild. Back then it was cheaper but not very high tech. At least what we were doing.