Quote:

Quote:

I've found that many mopar guys are hung up on the 26" rad thing which is weird to me having come from owning many brand X cars. Mopars are 2 row in 22 or 26" widths...many of the GM cars I had had 4 row rads.

I'm sure it has to do with my background on HVAC coils, but I "did the math" before and my recored 22" should cool quite a bit better than a factory 26" rad.

I wouldn't dream of cutting on my #'s 440-6 car's factory 22" rad support so I simply had a high performance 3 row core installed with my original tanks for added cooling but I'm sure the 2 row would have been just fine as it was from the factory.

As far as the original poster's car; if a 22" rad is good enough for a 440-6, I'm sure it will be fine with a 340.

Dave

Dave
Where you live your 22" is probably fine... Where I live it isn't, wasn't when they were new & still isn't... Yeah it'll handle most days & it'll handle a smallblock..... But a big block on a real hot day forget about it... When I was in high school I accepted standing on the side of a country road with a boiling car as part of the price you pay.. Not anymore.... And as far as three & four core radiators go once the air has already picked up heat from the first row it picks up less on the second row... And even less on the third row... And obviously this only gets worse on really hot days... So a larger core means more air passes over the first row... I agree I wouldn't cut a V code car either but when building a clone like the post starter you have more options..

Oh and as far as a 340 car being ok with the small radiator I'd like to agree but I built a 340 Challenger thats in the Austin Tx area, it's got a 4 row 22" w/shroud that was rodded out when I built the engine, the 340 is a mild build with Edelbrock heads & when it's over 100 degrees it runs borderline to overheating... I think a 3 core 26" would likely be fine...

Yes I understand that the 2nd row isn't as efficient as the first and on and on due to the increase in temperatures, but it is still quite possible to build a 22" rad with more cooling capacity than a 26" rad. As I said, I deal with this all the time on calculating the duct size and delta tee on hydronic coils (which are exactly the same thing). MOST of the cooling problems people have are to do with a host of other issues such as plugged cooling passages, incorrect timing/jetting, non-functioning fan clutches, etc. etc.
Also, many people are using inferior cores from scabby local shops. Even some of the cheapie "new" rads use really crappy cores (one of the magazines did a article on that a while back)

Anyway, the upshot is that my 3 row dimpled core 22" rad has more cooling capability than a factory 2 row 26" rad.....and I didn't have to touch any sheet metal, and I was able to use the original tanks and shroud.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]