Quote:

I've found that many mopar guys are hung up on the 26" rad thing which is weird to me having come from owning many brand X cars. Mopars are 2 row in 22 or 26" widths...many of the GM cars I had had 4 row rads.

I'm sure it has to do with my background on HVAC coils, but I "did the math" before and my recored 22" should cool quite a bit better than a factory 26" rad.

I wouldn't dream of cutting on my #'s 440-6 car's factory 22" rad support so I simply had a high performance 3 row core installed with my original tanks for added cooling but I'm sure the 2 row would have been just fine as it was from the factory.

As far as the original poster's car; if a 22" rad is good enough for a 440-6, I'm sure it will be fine with a 340.

Dave

Dave
Where you live your 22" is probably fine... Where I live it isn't, wasn't when they were new & still isn't... Yeah it'll handle most days & it'll handle a smallblock..... But a big block on a real hot day forget about it... When I was in high school I accepted standing on the side of a country road with a boiling car as part of the price you pay.. Not anymore.... And as far as three & four core radiators go once the air has already picked up heat from the first row it picks up less on the second row... And even less on the third row... And obviously this only gets worse on really hot days... So a larger core means more air passes over the first row... I agree I wouldn't cut a V code car either but when building a clone like the post starter you have more options..

Oh and as far as a 340 car being ok with the small radiator I'd like to agree but I built a 340 Challenger thats in the Austin Tx area, it's got a 4 row 22" w/shroud that was rodded out when I built the engine, the 340 is a mild build with Edelbrock heads & when it's over 100 degrees it runs borderline to overheating... I think a 3 core 26" would likely be fine...