Quote:

dial back timing light was an issue with the msd 6al,it was reading 30*at idle (1100rpm),hooked up an old sear roebuck non dial back and it reads 24* at idle, this is with a dead factory stock distributor,put it in gear it idles at 800-850 rpm little shakey touch gas little it smooths up.now the dist i want to use is an mopar performance out of the electronic ignition conversion pkg, when i tried it before the stock one it wouldnt idle at all in gear,it has had the slots shortened,when it was in another motor if it was set at 20*base it was 35*total.springs are whatever mp put in it.what do i do? do i need a heavier spring to delay mechanical advance some so it doesnt come in so early,so when i put it in gear it doesnt drop timing so much?thanks mike

Your post is kinda hard to read. Caps and periods would help.
The 2 MP dist I have installed needed new pickups, both were giving me trouble until I replaced them with used ones out of stock dist.
You will need to close down the slots to just under half way to get the timing right. You will need approx 20 before at idle and a total of 35 at 3500 rpm.