Quote:

Quote:

Is it ok to use the acid etching primer on blasted bare metal? I have never heard this, and dont understand the difference in blasted metal, or ground on metal?

Just asking to clear up my head.

Kasey

wow, Yes it's ok to use etch primer first on bare metal, it's recomended.

First off I don't see any difference between blasted and sanded ground metal. it get's treated the same imo.

I have done lots of sand/media blasting and paint work over the years(25).

As soon as I'm done blasting when I have bare white metal before I even touch it, I paint it. The first coat of paint is etching primer. 1 light coat, it's translucent and provides a chemical advantage for top coats. Then within 1 hour or so the second and third coats are epoxy primer. Then at that point within 24 hours if I can, I apply the top coat without any scuffing or sanding. Like say the bottem of your car or inside the car. Wet on wet is best for best results.

Some people will say epoxy directly on bare blasted metal but using etch primer first is better.

Once your metal is blasted bare, you want to coat it fast and definety don't touch it or pre treat with anything, as it as clean as can be after blasting.

I've done entire cars and trucks with the above procedure and still own some of the trucks that I painted 15 years ago. I know what holds up.
Got lot's of pictures of my work.

My 71 has etch primer all over it.

I agree with every word to the letter .

It's funny when clueless people would give advice on something they have no experience with.

Etching primer is always recommended to be applied before any other primer for ultimate adhesion,after etching primer any primer system can be used,epoxy or 2k primer-surfacer or sealer.As always, read tech sheets before use.