Quote:

It's called HOT RODDING. Been going on for a few years now. Don't know if it'll ever really catch on tho'. Probably just another passing fad.

Tell that to the people who are involved in the passing fad called "restoration".

Quote:

Well that's fine if you want a bone stock grocery getter. For those of us that want to run headers, the mini-start is a godsend. I can wiggle it between my header tubes so I don't have to drop the header if the starter ever needs changing. I did not notice a difference in sound between the rebuilt stocker I had in there and the mini I installed. The old starter I had cranked the motor over well, but it started crapping out. Then lifting the full-size stocker over your head is a pita. The mini is so much easier to get into place and easier on the arms. For me, the less/easier the work is that I have to do while laying on my back, the better. To me, doing mods and little projects/upgrades is what keeps the car interesting.

If upgrading an old car to newer technology is your thing (hot rodding, I think Stanton called it...) then that's the way you should go. If you like maintaining an old car and the old technology associated with that, there's nothing wrong with that either. I also have headers. I've changed the old starter before with headers, and I'll do it again if I have to. For me, what's interesting is that the car is old, and I will continue to maintain as much old technology as possible, while still trying to go faster. (perhaps the OTHER definition of "hot rodding"?). If saving time is your only reason for switching to a new starter, buying a new car would save even more time.