Quote:

john: i bought mine in dec, 2005. that puts me right in the mix. they came from a local dodge dealer so i don't think they would have had them very long. also the guy that did the valve job said he saw no indication that anything was amiss, BUT!!! i'm still not sure what i'm going to do yet. dave

FWIW, I had the heads apart over the past winter to upgrade the springs for a mild roller cam and to clean up all of the baked on oil from the intake mismatch. I had to scrape crud off all the intake valves. I lapped the valves myself and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The engine ran fine all last year, but I was experiencing an intermittent tick that I thought were the hydraulic lifters. Toward the end of the year, the tick got more predictable (fine when cold but as soon as the engine warmed up it was there). At the end of the year I had it on the dyno to try to figure out what was going on. We pinned it to the right bank near the rear (#6 had the seat problem).

I thought the valve seat might be the culprit but I figured it would have just fallen right out. When I took the engine apart, I found #3 cam bearing oil hole had either turned 340 degrees or it was put in wrong. I always check everything so I doubt I would miss something that fundamental so I assumed thats what the ticking was. Now I think it was the seat trying to tell me something