Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great advice except one thing. When you say "the sprag fails the tailshaft spins at an uncontrollable speed." that's not exactly true. When something in the driveline breaks, the tailshaft may spin up and damage the sprag/roller but when the sprag/roller fails the tailshaft becomes the held member in the planetary set while the front drum becomes the output member spinning at 2.2-2.45 times the engine speed.

440..guy, another thing to note. Aluminum drum is not a good choice for street. They do wear considerably more than a steel or steel jacketed drum requiring more frequent band adjustments and fluid changes.

PC ...indeed - the tailshaft is held. Unless the driveshaft is spit-out in the process. But then the driver is not paying attention.

My application is not street ... it is a very light-weight fun car that I will have the trans between my legs. Yes I am concerned for my safety but also do not want to have any probs or issues with the trans either. This 727 will be a 62-65 with a shortie kit and I don't want to take any chances hurting these parts that are very costly or can not be replaced.

A steel JACKETED alum drum? ... who makes that?

just get a billet steel drum from CRT!
no wear plroblems like the aluminum, and just as strong, if not stronger.

i put a billet steel crt drum in my pile after a guy at our track lunched his stock drum, taking out his carbon fibre shield, punching a hole in his floor and his foot, and filling his car with FIRE!

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?