Quote:

the -1s when fully worked over(like GregsDart has done to his) will give the original B1 a run for its money..but in the end the B1 will win. The -1 is a great flowing "max wedge" type head whereas the B1 was designed from a clean sheet of paper with maximum flow in mind.

My heads have 365cc after hogging out for alky. That has to be the practical limit i would think.
On power potential, "no comparison " is baloney. Look at my ET. I expect to better it by .2 this year with new head work and other engine improvements to compliment the increased flow. That is despite going back to a bias ply slick from a radial.
They will never be on par with a B1 in fully ported condition, but can be made to run well for a head strangled with the size port opening they have and other restrictions.
After putting 2.3 intakes in mine, head flow was better than B1 original ported heads up to about .500, landing at 396 cfm at .800 and 400 cfm at .900. The original porting numbers came off flow benches at three separate shops, so trying to say the numbers are bogus ain't gonna fly.
I believe the practical limit on power is going to be performance of 8.50s at 2950 lbs. Should relate to 950 hp or there abouts. The gentleman that ported them, Radar from R & R in Iowa helped develop the B1 so he has his act together. He commented that a good build is about 2.45 hp per cfm of head flow. Hope I get there. That would be 970 hp.

Last edited by gregsdart; 03/12/10 07:06 PM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky